Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I really hope they make childhood more interesting. I just endured a 12 year regency, struggle then the diplomacy education and didn't get a single personality trait the entire time (child or adult). I had several events to gain piety/prestige and one got me a rival, but 0 personality traits? Come on.

Also the second my empress turned 16 half a dozen seduction-focused vassals spent every waking moment trying to get into my pants. Had a dozen seduction events in the first year, saying no to every one. Trying to cuckold the emperor really should be a jailable offense.

e; that's a fun word filter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My daughter gave birth before her 17th birthday despite being a nun. No father known. That Christ bloke gets around.

Does anyone know of a reason why I wouldn't be able to declare a tributary war on a noble with a single county or duchy? It's happened to me twice in Ireland.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Jedit posted:

My daughter gave birth before her 17th birthday despite being a nun. No father known. That Christ bloke gets around.

Does anyone know of a reason why I wouldn't be able to declare a tributary war on a noble with a single county or duchy? It's happened to me twice in Ireland.

Not bordering or more than two seazones away? I couldn't make Connacht my tributary as Dublin until I took Kildare.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The child-rearing stuff seems like a real step backwards. I have so many boring, characterless children that I find myself powerless to care about them. It's fair enough that paradox wants to cut down on letting us make super-talented ubermensch kids (I mean, why would you want anyone to have fun with your game, right), but it'd be nice if they could somehow distinguish themselves prior to reaching majority, rather than having the boring, meaningless (in narrative, if not gameplay terms) broad-strokes traits they're saddled with now. It'd also be nice if the new council features and favours, etc. actually made the game more interesting in some way rather than just adding a new layer of busywork and micromanagement. The ideas behind all the new stuff are good, but the execution is really lacking.

Might just be that I need to roll back until things are rebalanced and whatnot. I think the game always plays like hot garbage when a new DLC's just come out.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Watching the original trailer on Steam and looking at how the game used to look. :stare: The diplomacy screen looks like it's from another game now.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Education events that give traits don't fire often enough, that's a real problem. But the new system itself is a lot better than the old one.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

a7m2 posted:

The new DLC got a lot of really bad reviews on Steam. Are the issues people had with it actual issues and/or resolved yet?

Yes no. It's a garbage expansion, avoid until they fix it

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

a7m2 posted:

The new DLC got a lot of really bad reviews on Steam. Are the issues people had with it actual issues and/or resolved yet?

From what Im reading here, most people are enjoying the new council mechanics, but coalitions, shattered retreat and the new education system seems bad.

They are supposed to fix and balance those in the next patch, but I really do feel coalitions and shattered retreat were bad ideas from the start. Fortunately, they are easy to disable too.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

This is anecdotal, but I think most expansions and DLCs for any game on steam end up with a mediocre score. I have no clear idea why.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
They ported a buncha poo poo from EUIV over to CK2 and uhh, speaking as someone who only plays the latter they really didn't work as well here as they presumably do there.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I like the dlc a lot, the council is a great idea and I don't mind the nerfs to blobbing/stackwiping, but I play this for crazy shenanigans not map painting. EU4 is excellent for that.

Once the issues with the education system get sorted out (I fully agree that children should get more traits out of it) I would say it's a must buy if you enjoy the dynasty and roleplaying aspect more than war and blobbing.

Also for the love of God, make wars not always require 100% warscore, pretty please?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 12, 2016

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Also for the love of God, make wars not always require 100% warscore, pretty please?

There's no way to change that, though, unless they go full-bore EU and add a peace treaty system, which I'm pretty sure they've said they don't want to do. And even if you'd massage it and say "OK, you can enforce your wargoal at 80%", well, that just means that 80% is now the real 100% and the system changes not one bit.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Having started playing with the whole 100% thing, I never really think about it. Some times more is required to bring it to 100%, some times less. In any case, a counter is practical, albeit a little bit meta.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I think if you were to add some kind of peace treaty system to CK2, though, it would have to be something focused on ancillary war gains, rather than trying to scoop up more territory. It would be more about negotiating prisoner exchanges; prestige, piety, and goal gains for the winner; forcing diplomatic decisions like honoring a betrothal or converting religion; side things that you might want to get out of a war but aren't meaty enough to justify being a CB on their own.

An "Abdicate throne" CB could also be interesting, causing the ruler's heir to be immediately installed; especially as a counter to the AI obsessively loving over any player attempts to get their dynasty on other thrones.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

a7m2 posted:

Two things.

First, there are a surprising number of CK2 players who are only interested in conquering the world as fast as possible and are very loud about it on the internet. Paradox has been clear right from launch day that that is the opposite of how they want the game to be played and almost every patch/DLC that wasn't focused on one specific thing has featured ways to thwart map-painting. This is the first one that's actually succeeded. Which is extra funny because the infamy mechanic doesn't actually make it much harder to conquer the world, it just makes it so after you conquer the HRE you have to wait 20 years for your infamy to tick down before you can go conquer Byzantium :qq:

Second, the shattered retreat mechanic makes the game more tedious and less fun and adds nothing strategically, this one is a legitimate complaint. Paradox has already acknowledged this and promised to tweak it in a future patch. Of course it can be turned off by changing a single 1 to 0 in defines.lua (and mods are already out for it if you're too lazy even to do that) but for some unfathomable reason the internet crybaby faction just has to play ironman.

Since I don't have to play ironman the only real complaint I have about Conclave is it promised to make childhood more interactive and instead made it much less interactive. I'm on board with ending the days of it being trivially easy to produce superkids with all the best traits, but now you routinely get adults with 0-2 traits and that's stupid.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 12, 2016

RowansWarden
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

First, there are a surprising number of CK2 players who are only interested in conquering the world as fast as possible and are very loud about it on the internet. Paradox has been clear right from launch day that that is the opposite of how they want the game to be played and almost every patch/DLC that wasn't focused on one specific thing has featured ways to thwart map-painting. This is the first one that's actually succeeded. Which is extra funny because the infamy mechanic doesn't actually make it much harder to conquer the world, it just makes it so after you conquer the HRE you have to wait 20 years for your infamy to tick down before you can go conquer Byzantium :qq:

Map-painting isn't really my thing and I'd like to see more mechanics to make it so that I don't wind up doing it just out of convenience after a while, but I really don't see the need to stop people from playing that way if they want. Although I haven't had issues with infamy yet, it still doesn't seem to me like a particularly interesting system. As you say, it doesn't create much of a new challenge, it just slows things down. Moreover, it seems that it does nothing to solve the problem that I have with everything blobbing unstoppably all the time, again just slowing the process down.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Do we know when the patch that changes coalitions and adds the new non-congential traits is happening? i.e. next week? this month? March?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

RowansWarden posted:

Map-painting isn't really my thing and I'd like to see more mechanics to make it so that I don't wind up doing it just out of convenience after a while, but I really don't see the need to stop people from playing that way if they want. Although I haven't had issues with infamy yet, it still doesn't seem to me like a particularly interesting system. As you say, it doesn't create much of a new challenge, it just slows things down. Moreover, it seems that it does nothing to solve the problem that I have with everything blobbing unstoppably all the time, again just slowing the process down.

Coalitions are also a real check on the Abbasids for example, so it's not just something to annoy the players, but instead a much needed mechanic to rein in excessive AI blobbing.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Conquered Denmark and Sweden after subjugating all the other counties in Norway. Now I'm left with a *lot* of counties that have practically no development and I cant be hosed having to continually do a round robin of all the counties and sticking upgrades in them. Is there a way to make the kings of the conquered countries do the upgrades themselves whilre retaining power over them? Thinking I might just declare them independent and try to reconquer them in 100 years or something.

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost
I've heard a lot of complaints that coalitions are implemented unevenly between the player and AI, where the AI is less effected by infamy or doesn't accrue as much or something. Does anyone know if this is true? Because if not I'm struggling to be annoyed with the current system.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zero Gravitas posted:

Conquered Denmark and Sweden after subjugating all the other counties in Norway. Now I'm left with a *lot* of counties that have practically no development and I cant be hosed having to continually do a round robin of all the counties and sticking upgrades in them. Is there a way to make the kings of the conquered countries do the upgrades themselves whilre retaining power over them? Thinking I might just declare them independent and try to reconquer them in 100 years or something.

AI vassals will upgrade their holdings on their own, there's no need to do it yourself. Never mind that you could never afford to anyway. Just hand out those titles and leave them alone.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Torrannor posted:

AI vassals will upgrade their holdings on their own, there's no need to do it yourself. Never mind that you could never afford to anyway. Just hand out those titles and leave them alone.

Really? I have left them alone for a while but they havent apparently upgraded anything. :/ Is this a stock thing or something introduced with a DLC?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zero Gravitas posted:

Really? I have left them alone for a while but they havent apparently upgraded anything. :/ Is this a stock thing or something introduced with a DLC?

They have always been able to upgrade their holdings. Are you still tribal? The AI is a lot worse at raiding than the player, they might simply be too poor to afford upgrades.

Edit: Once you adopt feudalism, they will automatically follow, and get a lot more money in the deal (because they get a church and city holding for free upon adopting feudalism). They will be a lot better with upgrading then.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Zero Gravitas posted:

Pretty sure it's stock, and I've definitely seen alerts for new buildings in my empire. I expect it's just a money issue.
EFB and yeah, tribal is trouble.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 12, 2016

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

They're all feudal - like you said, its basically a money issue.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I enjoy getting CK2 achievements since they give you a goal to work towards. Does anyone have any tips for getting the SPQR achievement after the new patch?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

DStecks posted:

There's no way to change that, though, unless they go full-bore EU and add a peace treaty system, which I'm pretty sure they've said they don't want to do. And even if you'd massage it and say "OK, you can enforce your wargoal at 80%", well, that just means that 80% is now the real 100% and the system changes not one bit.

All you'd need to do is add some AI factors so paranoid and arbitrary rulers would peace out sooner while zealous and cruel rulers would require that 100% war score.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Oook. King dies. My new guy is a bit old because of elective gavelkind, about 50. His best friend is 61 with 8 kids all under age 10. My ruler is married and also has a lover, and oh look they're sisters in their 20's. And relatives :(

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Man. High city taxes can be really bad for merchant republics, because of the way their family income distribution is treated as an expense, rather than directly reducing their income. I finally bumped my burgher taxes up to the maximum 50%, and the Grand Mayor of Mann's income is now only 2.39 a month.

Guess it keeps him from causing a lot of trouble, at least.

edit: Or...not? The new guy has income of 28.9, and expenses of only 8.65...shouldn't those expenses be half of income at minimum, if I'm taking 50% burgher taxes? I'm confused.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 13, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TorakFade posted:

I regularly have tributary wars end with a surrender at as low as 50% war score. They're an exception, though.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Just had my first coalition war and I see why there were so many complaints... The war itself wasn't too bad, though it was annoying to chase down small armies all over my empire (or just let them siege stuff). Seems like the best strategy is to just ignore everyone except the enemy war leader, and just siege down all his provinces as soon as possible. I got practically no war score for battles, so fighting them was fairly pointless.

The real problem was how the war ended though, because the coalition members got off without a scratch in the settlement. I got the one county I had declared war over, but nothing else. At least the coalition was dissolved and nobody got a truce with me though, so I could (very tediously) disband my army, reform it and declare war on some of the more accessible former members of the coalition. I managed to declare war on three of my tiny neighbours before the coalition reformed (the year after it was forcibly dissolved), and now all the armies of Christendom and Islam are arrayed against me (at least the Pope and a bunch of my Muslim neighbours).

I mean, it's fair enough that coalitions can form to fight a massive empire, even though it leads to weird poo poo like the Pope fighting alongside Sultans to prevent the Byzantine emperor from reclaiming Greece. The real issue is that there's no reward for beating a coalition, no punishment for being a member of a losing coalition and nothing to stop a coalition from immediately reforming. Having to fight a massive war against all my neighbours over every single county I take (because I'm not allowed to take more than one county per war...) is not fun. It certainly makes the game more difficult, but it makes no sense and there's no real reward for winning.

Note Pope Silvester and Grandmaster Conan the Great of the Knight's Templar here, alongside their pals Sultan Yahya and Grand Headmaster Hassan of the Hashshashin:

I love the political changes with the council, favours and laws though. Having to work to maintain a stable realm, and make actual compromises to keep people happy, is a big improvement and a good way to add challenge to the game.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

From what Im reading here, most people are enjoying the new council mechanics, but coalitions, shattered retreat and the new education system seems bad.

They are supposed to fix and balance those in the next patch, but I really do feel coalitions and shattered retreat were bad ideas from the start. Fortunately, they are easy to disable too.

I think they're just controversial because they're big changes amd they're not 100% fine-tuned yet, but I think they were absolutely necessary. Shattered retreat fixes the fact that a battle used to almost always lead to the losing stack getting completely annihilated, because the losing stack would just get pursued and re-engaged right away with no chance to recover morale, and would just be defeated over and over again until it was whittled down to nothing. Coalitions and infamy fixes the problem of a big enough blob being totally unstoppable except by another comparably-sized blob, which makes things really boring for the blob and really lovely for the small nations near the blob.

The council system is fantastic, and was a much needed revamp - it could be even better, but it's still a big improvement over the lovely faction system.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Strudel Man posted:

edit: Or...not? The new guy has income of 28.9, and expenses of only 8.65...shouldn't those expenses be half of income at minimum, if I'm taking 50% burgher taxes? I'm confused.
Does the new guy hate you? Negative opinion towards a liege reduces both taxes and levies.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Some Fuckwit On Paradox's CK2 Forums posted:

On the subject of Brazillians, I propose a whole new faith, to replace Camdomblé, that is already too similar to Santeria, Voodo and others.
There are in Brazil many Monarchists, loyal to the descendants of Dom. Pedro II and the House of Bragança, myself included
Based on this, I propose that the resurgent Brazillian Empire should worship their emperor as an God-Emperor, since after the apocalipse the would be seen as a refuge and a certain kind of order in the chaos of the end of the world.

This Faith should be called the Imperial Cult.
While I don't known anything about modding, I could help in flavor and sources to help flesh out this new religion.
As a Brazillian monarchist, I would love seeing our beloved Imperial Family in the game

I love that the After The End mod enables New World Crazies.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Torrannor posted:

Coalitions are also a real check on the Abbasids for example, so it's not just something to annoy the players, but instead a much needed mechanic to rein in excessive AI blobbing.

lol, coalitions don't do a drat thing to slow down the Abbasids.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

nutranurse posted:

I love that the After The End mod enables New World Crazies.

Huh

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

It's nice to see crazy new world monarchists instead of dealing with the usual European ones.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Were the unlanded host characters always able to loot? Every loving month I get a new one sailing over with 100 ships and 3k event troops and it's becoming insufferable. They can't even take the loot anywhere

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
is the unlanded adventurer console thing in? where you an be an unlanded adventurer and just kind go nuts on who you actually declare war on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
So I have this civil war going on. My war score is at 100%, but I can't actually make a peace offer because some rear end in a top hat third party declared war on the revolt and is trying to snipe a province from them. Is this a new thing? Because it's quite infuriating.

• Locked thread