Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Sakurazuka posted:

gently caress the cliffhangers in this show.

The original source was a monthly series so try and imagine that :v:

Also don't actually go read it b/c the translations are a good chunk of the way behind and also currently end on a pretty hard cliffhanger gently caress me :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Emalde posted:

The original source was a monthly series so try and imagine that :v:

Also don't actually go read it b/c the translations are a good chunk of the way behind and also currently end on a pretty hard cliffhanger gently caress me :negative:

it's a good cliffhanger imo. i don't regret reading ahead, though i feel like the anime is going to serve well as a complete adaptation. plus it just looks so good

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
For those reading the manga, I've been hearing complains that the show is moving too fast when compared the manga but how true are those complaints?

From my viewing, the pace feels fine and nothing feels rushed but I'm wondering if things are being left out.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Zettace posted:

For those reading the manga, I've been hearing complains that the show is moving too fast when compared the manga but how true are those complaints?

From my viewing, the pace feels fine and nothing feels rushed but I'm wondering if things are being left out.

the most recent ep didn't leave out anything important that i can remember, but i only started reading at the point where episode 4 ended, so i can't speak to earlier pacing.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Zettace posted:

I haven't read the manga, but I've seen occasional comments here and there from people mentioning stuff that had been left out. It mainly seemed to be stuff that didn't really change anything (at least from what I saw) - just perhaps added extra context or justification for some stuff. For example, some people thought him running away from the police in the first episode seemed a little strange, but in the manga he apparently tries to run off to chase the killer before the police show up, and only realises how guilty it makes him look afterwards (doubt you'd consider that a spoiler, but better safe than sorry). Doesn't change anything really, but perhaps makes that decision a little more understandable to those who had a problem with it.

(Don't know anything about what happens later in the story and haven't touched the manga though, so what I just said could well be a bunch of crap and I wouldn't know)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

gently caress the cliffhangers in this show.

Ugh, yeah.

Also:

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

My GF NEVER watches anime with me.

I started this up while she was studying, which ended with us plowing through up until episode 4. When she found out that episode 5 was the last episode I have available via Crunchyroll, she became disheartened.

God drat this show is brilliant.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this show is up there with Parasyte for me. I've got my wife watching it and she's pretty engrossed. This is one of those shows I would consider recommending to non-anime watchers (with a few Japanese culture primers).

Orichalcos
Jan 24, 2015

ASK ME ABOUT PRETENDING TO BE A CUTE ANIME GIRL BARTENDER WITH AN ANGSTY BACKSTORY AND GETTING MARRIED MULTIPLE TIMES IN A SHITTY ROLE PLAY SERVER ON SPACE STATION 13 FOR OVER 400 HOURS OF MY LIFE
So I decided to watch the OP again and began to draw some comparisons.

Image of Satoru against a person in a green room that appears ~59 seconds into the opening

Image of Satoru from behind against the strange character that appeared in episode 5.

There's also an image that appears for a split second in the OP when the bullet shatters Satoru's glasses

If we zoom, enhance and rotate, we can see that the shooter wears glasses comparable to Satoru's

Yes the circles were done in paint.

No I don't care.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Orichalcos posted:

So I decided to watch the OP again and began to draw some comparisons.

Image of Satoru against a person in a green room that appears ~59 seconds into the opening

Image of Satoru from behind against the strange character that appeared in episode 5.

There's also an image that appears for a split second in the OP when the bullet shatters Satoru's glasses

If we zoom, enhance and rotate, we can see that the shooter wears glasses comparable to Satoru's

Yes the circles were done in paint.

No I don't care.
Green room guy has browner hair than Satoru so it's most likely that he's Shiratori Jun after being incarcerated, also those hair nape lines are nothing similar. Here's a much clearer shot of your last image and honestly they just look like generic frames that could look like anything

Also Satoru seems to wear a completely different pair of glasses in the anime than what he's seen wearing in the promotional material, which is also seemingly completely different compared to what he wears in the manga. Also if we're dissecting the OP, there's another not so split second cut where you can see that guy in much clearer detail in the OP too

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
We have a list of names of possible suspects now.

It was interesting that the police suspected Satoru's mother

Screencap of list below:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

What the gently caress this episode was only like 5 minutes long?!

Literally said "no, you bastards!" out loud at the end.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Huh, the murderer did kill Kayo after all. Though, I'm guessing the mom dumped the body?

Also, I'm guessing this is going to be one of those shows where you have the most incompetent cops ever.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zettace posted:

Huh, the murderer did kill Kayo after all. Though, I'm guessing the mom dumped the body?

Also, I'm guessing this is going to be one of those shows where you have the most incompetent cops ever.

I'm guessing it's more the murderer is parts of cops, so he'd be easily able to cover his tracks and hit multiple cities.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Well, the present day murder is totally that politician so he probably does have connections with the police.

They also ruled out the teacher as the murderer in this episode since they said politicians must use their real names. He was actually my number one suspect. Edit:This is wrong.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 12, 2016

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
They've been pretty careful not to give us any information (name, age, profession, family) on Kayo's mother's boyfriend, for whatever it's worth.

Also, since he was initially a suspect, that would explain how Sachiko would have recognized him. Clearly, there would have been news coverage of the incident, and his face would have been shown.

Finally, he would have been one of only two people to know that Kayo was hidden in that shed, for the killer to then come and lead away to the coldroom.

This feels like it has to be a red herring, though.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
It definitely seems like there's someone inside the police force manipulating the events. Between Nishizono and this mysterious man in glasses, there's also the fact that the killer is basing their strategy around misleading the police investigations, which implies that they have a strong understanding of the weaknesses of the investigation process--or that they have the authority to alter the flow of the investigation from the top-down. And there's the pizza delivery guy, who's definitely a henchman. Why else would he know to be at the building? He needed to make sure the phone survived the fire. And he tells Satoru to leave the scene, when obviously Satoru helping her out of the fire would have made him less likely a suspect. We know pizza guy is a pawn for Nishizono.

So in the present there are three suspicious figures:
#1 is the kidnapper from episode one. Scruffy, wears glasses and a hat. Age is hard to determine, but Satoru's mom seems to recognize him from just a brief glance, and it's enough to get her killed.
#2 is Nishizono, the city councilman, who seems to be an older man (but might not be since I don't think we actually see him). There's a brief joke the pizza guy makes about Airi being too young to treat as a woman, and Nishizono does not react to the joke--implies he may have a taste for young girls.
#3 is the glasses-wearing killer, who is sharp and clean-shaven, but wears glasses and a hat. He also appears to be around Satoru's age.

1 and 3 could be the same person, or 2 and 3 could be the same person, but the councilman wouldn't also be the scruffy kidnapper. What this says to me is that the crime is at least a two-person job: a culprit and an accomplice, who may be an insider acting as an enabler.

But because this is a crime that takes place over two timelines, it really convolutes the suspect list. Kenya seems like the obvious identity of #3, but then we have to wonder what was going on in the past.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Zettace posted:

Well, the present day murder is totally that politician so he probably does have connections with the police.

They also ruled out the teacher as the murderer in this episode since they said politicians must use their real names. He was actually my number one suspect.

There's nothing saying Nishizono isn't some kind of pseudonym. Would make for a pretty good lead into next episode if they were to start ranting about Nishizono and nobody has any idea who the hell they're talking about.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah, I misunderstood that part. I watched it again and it's the other way around. The politician probably has a fake name.

Cephas posted:

#2 is Nishizono, the city councilman, who seems to be an older man (but might not be since I don't think we actually see him). There's a brief joke the pizza guy makes about Airi being too young to treat as a woman, and Nishizono does not react to the joke--implies he may have a taste for young girls.
#3 is the glasses-wearing killer, who is sharp and clean-shaven, but wears glasses and a hat. He also appears to be around Satoru's age.
The politician also wears the same glasses so I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be the same person. Edit: Yeah, they're the same. I went though episode 5 and 6 again and the killer at the end has the same badge on his suit as the politician in episode 5.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 12, 2016

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

This is odd but it's been bothering me since the beginning if I were a criminal who got away with it more than once why attract more attention again years later? I can understand trying to stop people from uncovering my past crimes but going through an elaborate scheme just looks even stranger. Am I just really bored?

Then again it just might be me watching way too many crime dramas.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
As a manga reader, I have been finding the theories and speculation in this thread really fascinating and entertaining.

Not saying right or wrong of course, but seeing people piece stuff together regardless of accuracy has been super interesting.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 12, 2016

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

The "mystery" man at the shop is the teacher, isn't it they sound the same.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Demicol posted:

The "mystery" man at the shop is the teacher, isn't it they sound the same.

Some meta spoilers on this, related to the anime production, not the manga:

(ep5 meta) Nishizono has his own unique voice actor credits, but this enigmatic fellow is reportedly played by 大泉一平 whom nobody has ever heard of, so there are people who theorize it's a made-up person, to hide the real identity.

I think it's the first time I've seen it done, if true.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Captain Invictus posted:

As a manga reader, I have been finding the theories and speculation in this thread really fascinating and entertaining.

Not saying right or wrong of course, but seeing people piece stuff together regardless of accuracy has been super interesting.

That's the most fun part about this thread, watching the wild and not so wild ideas people pull out watching it. It's a second chance to see people's minds at work trying to pick it all apart, which is a nice relaxing change of pace from the tension of the home stretch the manga is in.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alder posted:

This is odd but it's been bothering me since the beginning if I were a criminal who got away with it more than once why attract more attention again years later? I can understand trying to stop people from uncovering my past crimes but going through an elaborate scheme just looks even stranger. Am I just really bored?

Then again it just might be me watching way too many crime dramas.

The villain is a serial killer. He's literally addicted to kidnapping and murdering kids. This isn't something he can just stop doing. Remember that this all kicked off because our hero's mum stopped him from doing the nasty to another child in the present-day timeline.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

also they haven't been caught for more than a decade and a half. they definitely how to commit crimes quietly or shift attention elsewhere.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

darkgray posted:

Some meta spoilers on this, related to the anime production, not the manga:

(ep5 meta) Nishizono has his own unique voice actor credits, but this enigmatic fellow is reportedly played by 大泉一平 whom nobody has ever heard of, so there are people who theorize it's a made-up person, to hide the real identity.

I think it's the first time I've seen it done, if true.

If this is true, I absolutely love this. Has shades of Kevin Spacey not appearing in the opening credits of Se7en.

It was kind of cool to see my "the killer targeted Hiromi because he looked feminine" theory addressed and then debunked. I have to watch that sequence again because I'm not sure if I caught everything, but did they say that Kayo was beaten to death by her mother and then thrown into the shed, or that someone else killed her?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Moldy Taxes posted:

It was kind of cool to see my "the killer targeted Hiromi because he looked feminine" theory addressed and then debunked. I have to watch that sequence again because I'm not sure if I caught everything, but did they say that Kayo was beaten to death by her mother and then thrown into the shed, or that someone else killed her?

My understanding is that Mom & Stepdad knocked her out and threw her into the shed, but she wasn't quite dead. At that point the killer came along and sped up the process, in his ridiculously elaborate way, thereafter returning her to the shed where she finally succumbed to exposure.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

The villain is a serial killer. He's literally addicted to kidnapping and murdering kids. This isn't something he can just stop doing. Remember that this all kicked off because our hero's mum stopped him from doing the nasty to another child in the present-day timeline.

I see. This is now 100% more disturbing since I bet there's tons of missing kids in other small towns where adults just ignored or w/e. Then again it might be society too.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kytrarewn posted:

My understanding is that Mom & Stepdad knocked her out and threw her into the shed, but she wasn't quite dead. At that point the killer came along and sped up the process, in his ridiculously elaborate way, thereafter returning her to the shed where she finally succumbed to exposure.

I'm not sure if I trust the police's narrative about her death due to how convoluted it is, not to mention how suspect their whole investigation is because of how the killer is playing them.

It just feels like her parents killed her and the killer used that coincidence to throw even more clouds of confusion over the situation.

In any case it's all horrible.
Everything is terrible.
ugh
:smith:

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

a kitten posted:

I'm not sure if I trust the police's narrative about her death due to how convoluted it is, not to mention how suspect their whole investigation is because of how the killer is playing them.

It just feels like her parents killed her and the killer used that coincidence to throw even more clouds of confusion over the situation.

It could be that, or it could also just be that the killer killed her in that manner because it was the easiest way to frame the other guy for the crime and yet leave very little evidence behind. Regardless of how he actually killed her (that part was a touch silly, yes), his plan was pretty simple. Wear the same boots as the guy he's trying to frame has, take her somewhere else and take pictures, kill her, then put her back where she was and plant the pictures in the other guy's house. Putting her back makes it look as though the other guy was trying to cover it up by making appear that her parents had killed her, which makes the plot look a bit more realistic.

It doesn't really matter if her parents killed her or not anyway, since the killer could've done the exact same thing after Hinazuki was dead and framed the guy just as easily. The issue with that is how the killer knew that she'd died, but I suppose that wouldn't matter either, since he could've just been planning to kill her either way.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
My assumption was that we were supposed to find the police narrative silly and contrived, since it was obviously come up with after-the-fact in order to force Yuuki into the role of killer.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I am paying precisely zero attention to the whodunit but I'm digging the low-key superhero stuff. My wild speculation is that evil hat guy isn't actually trying to hide the serial killer, but looking to activate some kind of hero instinct in Satoru. It's pretty cute how the show is bringing that side out of him!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

So the kidnapper from episode 1 was almost certainly a different guy than our murderer, which got me thinking that maybe the actual killer is some kind of fixer, creating situations where a crime (or maybe attempted crime like in episode 1) ends up being framed on someone else. Kind of like the opposite Satoru, who uses his power to to make things right before they happen.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

El Burbo posted:

So the kidnapper from episode 1 was almost certainly a different guy than our murderer, which got me thinking that maybe the actual killer is some kind of fixer, creating situations where a crime (or maybe attempted crime like in episode 1) ends up being framed on someone else. Kind of like the opposite Satoru, who uses his power to to make things right before they happen.

But why would the fixer do that?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The whole convoluted idea that the killer is some super mastermind who's both motivated to and an expert at covering his tracks in every possible respect strikes me as both inherently silly and totally at odds with what a serial killer would actually do (since serial killers tend to be at least somewhat out of touch with reality). I'd be disappointed if anything like that ended up being the correct answer.

I mean, I'm not saying it's implausible for someone to be cold-hearted enough to murder strangers to cover their tracks, but they wouldn't likely be the same sort of person to murder random kids in the first place. I mean, what kind of serial killer would think "I better mix up my targets so they don't catch on to me" if they're being driven to murder at all by some sort of lust or other impulse?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Any fictional serial killer really. We're working in the Hannibal Lector, Seven, Unbreakable, Dexter mold, not actual reality.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 13, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, I was thinking along the lines of "it's not a serial killer at all" and it was all a cover for some other scheme. Or maybe a politician is covering up something his son did, or something.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

K. Flaps posted:

But why would the fixer do that?

Well, for other people. Like the would-be kidnapper from episode 1 or Kayo's parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The weird serial killer event is actually a warning about child abuse and lack of resources to stop it in Japan/the world. The real killer is apathy towards our fellow human beings and the police's uselessness overall. Also life is empty because we've all closed our hearts once we become adults because of reality.

The time-traveling problem is actually the desire of the MC to live a more fulfilling life and appreciate his friends/family. Also to seek medical help wrt depression.

• Locked thread