Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Baron Porkface posted:

Cthullu was the one killed for Legend.

Well someone hosed that arcane ritual.

And there's no way they kill Star Wars before putting new trilogy stuff in. And prequel trilogy stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Does anyone know the actual sales Totem Pole?

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Star wars is way to popular to let die. Also now that FFG has been more consistent with release the game has been growing pretty steady in my meta.
The only reason SW had any issue was that FFG didn't release any content for almost a year after the first cycle finished. Now most of that was due to SW being sold to Disney.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I think Star Wars sells a lot of core copies but doesn't have as large a base of players on the tournament end as Netrunner or Thrones, but I don't think it's doing anywhere near as bad that they would can it. If anything they would do what has been done every other time a Star Wars card game died, which is to release a new one. If Star Wars does get cancelled, you can bet that it will have a replacement Star Wars card game announced immediately or because they lost the rights and someone else is going to put out a new Star Wars game. There is a zero percent chance that they will kill off Star Wars and let the license go unused so they can make market space for an L5R game.

To be honest, they probably should cancel and create a new Star Wars LCG and I say that as someone who's defended the game time and time again, and considers it the best LCG they make.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, I would totally be down for a 2.0 of the Star Wars LCG. AGoT proves they can do it well, and Star Wars is too good a license to let the card game ever die.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

To be honest, they probably should cancel and create a new Star Wars LCG and I say that as someone who's defended the game time and time again, and considers it the best LCG they make.

Yeah, they probably should :( Still, we'll see what they can do with it. If nothing else, I'd love to see another game use its pod-based deck-building system.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Oh come on, just as deck diversity got fun!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Yeah, they probably should :( Still, we'll see what they can do with it. If nothing else, I'd love to see another game use its pod-based deck-building system.

I love the pod system, but there's a large group of people who find it too restrictive. I could almost guarantee that if they remade the game, the elimination of the pod system would happen. I can't really disagree with why it needs to happen either. It hasn't gained any players because casuals don't care enough about deck building to appreciate it and hardcores are spoiled by games where they have total control over everything in their deck.

It doesn't draw in any players for it's benefits, and only alienates players who dislike it.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

When you guys say "kill" do you mean "stop producing" or "stop producing new content"? Because if it's the latter, I wouldn't be too upset. Now that they're up to the Grey Havens, there isn't a whole lot of untouched material left to cover.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
With COC the writing was on the wall they had announced the final faction box and no other mentions of content post that had been mentioned for months. LOTR still has 3 saga boxes the cycle that started this week and while I haven't heard about anything after it doesn't mean there's not. Star wars has this cycle the next big box already annouced. I don't see either game being killed in the next few years. Besides the important part is these games are still profitable. When Star Wars starts selling COC or Invasion numbers then we'll see.

Also it's funny like I said earlier Star Wars keeps growing in my community while Conquest is pretty much dead.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GrandpaPants posted:

Well someone hosed that arcane ritual.

i'm actually mad hype for l5r lcg, bruh

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CaptainRightful posted:

When you guys say "kill" do you mean "stop producing" or "stop producing new content"? Because if it's the latter, I wouldn't be too upset. Now that they're up to the Grey Havens, there isn't a whole lot of untouched material left to cover.

They don't continue printing games they are no longer making content for. See the Invasion liquidation this past Christmas sale.

frgildan posted:

Also it's funny like I said earlier Star Wars keeps growing in my community while Conquest is pretty much dead.

Mark my words, Conquest will be the next LCG they kill. It won't be this year, but next.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

Magic came up with some fun variants where one player would fight three players but would have special powers, things like that. I'd be interested in seeing variants like that for LCGs, although they're usually gimmicky so I understand focusing on the competitive game.

the only casual format that Magic has consistently had success with is the one they didn't create, is the funny part. Commander does really well, every year. meanwhile archenemy/emperor/whatever doesn't actually exist anymore

fake edit the best casual format variant i ever heard of though is Commander palyed with the Planechase planar cards using the map variant, and i mean that unironically

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Commander is a terrible format in all honesty, which probably explains why it's so loved by MtG players.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bottom Liner posted:

Commander is a terrible format in all honesty, which probably explains why it's so loved by MtG players.

It's actually the perfect casual format because t can be whatever a given playgroup wants it to be

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah if anything I see Conquest dying which is a shame since I don't care about the other LCGs except for LOTR. :v: I should give Netrunner a try sometime.

By the way, the new Warhammer Quest ACG is also a new coop, solo-capable card game that's plenty of fun. I would love to see it get as much content as, say, Descent, if only because there aren't enough games like it out there.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Azran posted:

Yeah if anything I see Conquest dying which is a shame since I don't care about the other LCGs except for LOTR. :v: I should give Netrunner a try sometime.

By the way, the new Warhammer Quest ACG is also a new coop, solo-capable card game that's plenty of fun. I would love to see it get as much content as, say, Descent, if only because there aren't enough games like it out there.

it sounds a lot like the Pathfinder card game

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I don't think Conquest is currently in any danger of dying. Unless it drastically fell off GenCon and Worlds attendance for Conquest was fantastic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

tijag posted:

I don't think Conquest is currently in any danger of dying. Unless it drastically fell off GenCon and Worlds attendance for Conquest was fantastic.

That's not really an indication of the overall success though. Of course the biggest two tournaments are going to attract big numbers of all the die-hard fans. Hell, GoT 2.0 had huge numbers despite not even being out yet.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

How are we able to tell? Is it actually doing poorly?

And IDGAF about CoC being ousted for L5R. We still play at my FLGS :smug: the card art is amazing and it just seems to click with my group. Im sad there's no more, but there's so many expacs we haven't touched that there's still plenty of content to keep it fresh.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Bottom Liner posted:

Mark my words, Conquest will be the next LCG they kill. It won't be this year, but next.

I honestly hope so. The more I play this game the more it makes me angry.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Although the idea that FFG is only willing to support so many lines and therefore might kill something for L5R (as it's considered CoC died for Conquest) is possible, there's been zero indication from FFG themselves that anything will go. Even if something did, there's no way it'd be LOTR, Netrunner or AGOT - they're all big sellers. LOTR just happens to be big in a really invisible, silent way.

I want to say I doubt they'd trash Conquest so early but then I remember Diskwars and get irrationally angry. Gotta think it'd be Star Wars, but CoC was at a place in its life that it made sense to shut down. Nothing else does right now.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Single Tight Female posted:

Although the idea that FFG is only willing to support so many lines and therefore might kill something for L5R (as it's considered CoC died for Conquest) is possible, there's been zero indication from FFG themselves that anything will go. Even if something did, there's no way it'd be LOTR, Netrunner or AGOT - they're all big sellers. LOTR just happens to be big in a really invisible, silent way.

I want to say I doubt they'd trash Conquest so early but then I remember Diskwars and get irrationally angry. Gotta think it'd be Star Wars, but CoC was at a place in its life that it made sense to shut down. Nothing else does right now.

Warhammer Invasion was killed for Conquest. They killed COC then announced L5R like a week later.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Diskwars was Warhammer Fantasy, which not even its actual creators liked enough to keep around. 40k is way more popular but I dunno, maybe.

S.J. posted:

I honestly hope so. The more I play this game the more it makes me angry.

Any particular reason? :v: I've been thinking for a bit to ask this, so might as well - is there any particular design decision in Conquest you guys hate?

Literally The Worst posted:

Pathfinder ACG is really bad. WQ: ACG suffers from a lack of content right now, though the creators said it blew all their expectations away when it came to sales so expansions should be in the pipeline. I even like the dice mechanic, and I personally think dice has no play in a card game.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

One of our game stores is doing five store championships on one day so it'll be interesting to see the split between the various games

I'm doing conquest myself

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Azran posted:

Pathfinder ACG is really bad. WQ: ACG suffers from a lack of content right now, though the creators said it blew all their expectations away when it came to sales so expansions should be in the pipeline. I even like the dice mechanic, and I personally think dice has no play in a card game.

Same, it's a really strong framework for a dungeon crawl card game. I really just want more of everything right now. Being able to make a party from a lot of classes would be awesome.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

the only casual format that Magic has consistently had success with is the one they didn't create, is the funny part. Commander does really well, every year. meanwhile archenemy/emperor/whatever doesn't actually exist anymore

fake edit the best casual format variant i ever heard of though is Commander palyed with the Planechase planar cards using the map variant, and i mean that unironically

Yeah I have all the planechase cards, and playing commander with planechase is super good times.

Its like normal magic is smash bros final destination no items, and planechase commander is all items random map.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Azran posted:

Warhammer Quest: the Adeventure Card Game is indeed FFG's rip off of Pathfinder. Except that it's a million times smoother and far less fiddly. There is some stuff that's confusing, how engaging works and how monsters being activated doesn't mean they attack necessarily. There is a lack of content and the replayability of the base game, the Delve quest, is interesting but kind of shallow, so they do need some expansions and I imagine there will be some announced fairly soon. If you like playing games solo, this is a great game for that.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

MisterShine posted:

One of our game stores is doing five store championships on one day so it'll be interesting to see the split between the various games

I'm doing conquest myself

Wait their having all the LCG store champions at the same time? That just seems crazy.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

All FFG store champs at the same time. Pick netrunner, conquest, AGoT, xwing or armada.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

MisterShine posted:

All FFG store champs at the same time. Pick netrunner, conquest, AGoT, xwing or armada.

That is dumb.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
In a surprising twist there's only one actual tournament encompassing all the games

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Well dumb if you want to maximize store profits off the kit, great if you're a player wanting the player pool split to stand a better chance of winning

I mean if you just want competition we have three other store championships coming up

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

MisterShine posted:

How big is your community? Because mines pretty healthy but the split running all those games at once would be pretty brutal. That's just the LCG if you threw the miniatures in it would be cutting even deeper.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Azran posted:

Any particular reason? :v: I've been thinking for a bit to ask this, so might as well - is there any particular design decision in Conquest you guys hate?

Horrible runaway leader problems, no sideboarding (this isn't specific to Conquest though), the new cycle's planet color emphasis is a terrible direction to take the design and makes me feel really uncertain about future cycles, certain factions have far, far more access to the game's tutor effects/additional card draw without having to first perform well in the command struggle the game is meant to be based on, key command cards that cause faction dominance aren't able to be used as allies, the ways the rules are written in a number of situations end up being further complicated or (I feel) contradicted by card rulings in a bad (non-intuitive) way. They introduced a new faction, Tyranids, that were basically dead on arrival in their first large expansion, and the second large expansion is going to be adding another faction that might be just as dead on arrival.

TL;DR faction design and rules consistency is all over the place and general rules design for the future seems both uncertain and poorly directed

I could be biased because I want to like 40k super hard and am still in a 'warhammer rules are awful' state of mind but I don't think so

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

frgildan posted:

How big is your community? Because mines pretty healthy but the split running all those games at once would be pretty brutal. That's just the LCG if you threw the miniatures in it would be cutting even deeper.

My local store hosted 45 people for our xwing store champs. You couldn't even fit more people in the building

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

So, in tournaments does Conquest go best 2 out of 3? I'm reading the tournament rules and don't see it mentioned, but given that it's symmetrical I'd figured it did. Does the entire round hinge on a single game?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

All of their games do. It's kinda lovely but understandable for time management.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Alright, I'm going to do something dumb. I'm getting my Conquest cards Monday. And there's a GNK Monday night. So I'm going to get my cards, sleeve up a deck and play.

What's a good, simple deck I can pick up and play with? I've played a couple rounds on OCTGN and I have a feel for the rules, just want something simple and straightforward I don't have to practice beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

All of their games do. It's kinda lovely but understandable for time management.

Except Netrunner.