Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
how much do you consider to be "a lot" of money

because without being snarky, if you're barely out of the arr msq, that would be a lot of playing the market board between two of you

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Vookatos posted:

So, me and my friend are starting our third month. We made our own FC (basically for the Chest), and made some friends. We have a lot of money that we don't know what to do with, and think of buying a house. The problem is: there isn't a lot of info about housing. Should we buy a small house frist, and then can somehow return our money, or save money for the bigger one from the beginning? What the gently caress is even a "class"? I don't think game tells you anything like that. Also, is the game getting more houses? They're pretty much all taken, and it would be nice to actually choose a place. I guess, finally, is it even worth it when story-wise we're barely out of ARR, or should we wait?
Sorry for longass post, it's just that whole thing is confusing and there's nothing I can find.

Housing prices: http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Personal_Housing

Class is what you level. Jobs are essentially equipment.

More houses are coming in 3.3 if I remember right.

Houses are... a lot of work. It's worth it if you've got someone willing to put in the time to run the garden and keep the airships flying. Unless you've actually got the piles of money it takes to get a medium or large house, I would just stick with the small.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

dromal phrenia posted:

I am fairly certain this is not true of DGKK, I can't speak for the other guilds.

I feel I need to chime in on this as well, if there isn't a i115 weapon then ask in the chat; hell, this week I saw a goon wonder out loud in the chat about a i115 weapon and Tango on his own came to the rescue because Tango is that kind of nice cutie!!!!

Basically what I'm saying is, when in doubt, ASK IN CHAT!!!! If the FC chest is lacking or you find it harder than expected to get a reply, please understand that the time before patch updates are the hardest; it is after patches drop that we get returning goons and/or new goons which helps everyone with access to information and/or resources.

Also, DGKK has Baph and I heard his a real cutie too!!!!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

All Dope Goons Talking to Me posted:

It's a stupid waste of time

Fair enough. I guess I need to just make time to do the Crystal Tower and grab Augmented gear. At least the title is neat. How grindy is it to get enough Poetics for me to at least grab the weapon and then Augment the whole left side?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Thank you for reminding me I need to run Crystal Tower to get Amon's gear.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Also, DGKK has Baph and I heard his a real cutie too!!!!

Gonna have to ask for some proof to back up these claims, boss.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Vookatos posted:

What the gently caress is even a "class"?

A class is one of the things you pick at the start of the game, like lancer or archer or thaumaturge. At level 30, you can get a jobstone by getting a 'secondary' class to level 15 and doing a quest; you equip it and it and upgrades your class into a job. Lancer turns into dragoon, archer turns into bard, thaumaturge turns into black mage. (Arcanist gets two job stones, one for summoner and one for scholar.) This gives you a significant stat boost and also unlocks access to job-only skills, so you should do it as soon as you hit 30.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SonicRulez posted:

Fair enough. I guess I need to just make time to do the Crystal Tower and grab Augmented gear. At least the title is neat. How grindy is it to get enough Poetics for me to at least grab the weapon and then Augment the whole left side?
Don't bother Augmenting your 120 gear, you'll just replace it with green dungeon drops as you level or, worst case, with vendor-bought whites (or HQ from a goon) by 56.

You'll have enough poetics if you do the 50 dungeons to unlock 50 dungeon roulette, which you do want because they give good XP now. And tell the Crystal Tower LS (Sunday Funday) or your FC when you're doing it, I'm sure someone working on their new-relic will want to come along for bonus poetics and goons play far better than average.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

You guys are really cute, but strictly in the context of housing the game uses a different form of "class", which I'm pretty sure is what Vook is asking about.

Housing plots come in three sizes, Small, Medium, and Large, which determines not only the cost of the plot, but also what kind of house you can build on it. Within each size, however, the game further subdivides each size into five classes, so you end up with Small-1, Small-2, Small-3, Small-4, Small-5, Medium-1, Medium-2...and so on up to Large-5. As far as I'm aware the only difference between a Small house class 1 and a Small house class 5 is that class 1 ends up slightly more expensive to buy, and the plots themselves tend to have slightly nicer locations? Functionally they're identical and honestly the distinction is pretty arbitrary and minor compared to the much more significant Size category.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

dromal phrenia posted:

I am fairly certain this is not true of DGKK, I can't speak for the other guilds.

Well, then DGKK a poo poo, because during my time there, I was one of the crafters making themrelic precursors, I assumed the practice carried over to ii15 weapons. I'm doing it for TPT now (And fighting with Cheesepickle and Lina over it), but what the heck, dudes.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 12, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
With more goon assistance I've completed the next dungeon crawl review. This will be the last one I link in the thread, since I don't want to poo poo up things by plugging my youtube. I thought this one turned out pretty good all things considered, or at least better than the last one.

Thanks to Third Party Tools for helping me out with the Copperbell Run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d4MBRV7omg

EDIT: I'm sorry I mispronounced Coblyns.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 12, 2016

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

jellycat posted:

Are there any good videos/guides for Alexander Savage 3? (Preferably for Scholars)

I'm going to have the stupidly controversial opinion of saying you should watch Mr Happy guides. Really since Second - Final coil his guides have become way better in quality. His guides also come out sooner than MTQ because as noted goodposter belzac points out and people adamantly deny for some dumb reason, he's actually really good at the game. If you're coming into the fights late enough that both are available then watch both, because Happy might emphasize a point that Mizzteq glosses over (which is increasingly common from final coil guides onward) and vice versa.

As for A3S specifically, Mr Happy has a video where goes through a clear video of A3S and breaks down specifically what the healers are doing for every phase of the fight, in addition to a regular guide to the fight.

If you refuse to watch Happy because you don't like the guy or because he made a lovely twintania guide two years ago then hey, that's your call and also lol at you.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Alternatively, you could watch MTQCapture's guides and save yourself from watching 30 minute videos of horrible rambling.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Alternatively, you could watch MTQCapture's guides and save yourself from watching 30 minute videos of horrible rambling.

that doesn't happen anymore, also mtq guides for alexander are all poo poo

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

MTQ videos are really poo poo at this point because the people she play with (and she herself) actively sabotage eachother

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ilifinicus posted:

MTQ videos are really poo poo at this point because the people she play with (and she herself) actively sabotage eachother

In what way? I used her guides for the Ex Primals and they seemed decent?

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Velthice posted:

I'm going to have the stupidly controversial opinion of saying you should watch Mr Happy guides.

Thanks! I've only watched a couple of his videos so I didn't realize that he even did Alex Savage. I definitely prefer Mizzteq's style over his, but I'll make sure to watch his A3S videos too when I get the time.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

In what way? I used her guides for the Ex Primals and they seemed decent?
replace "actively sabotage" for ex primals with "being blithering idiots" and you have how a PF beats ex primals. I'm talking about for content that actually is challenging

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

fount of knowledge posted:

You guys are really cute, but strictly in the context of housing the game uses a different form of "class", which I'm pretty sure is what Vook is asking about.
Thank you! I was kinda baffled that someone thought a person who has some money for the house can actually not know what a class is.
Thanks for your help, everybody. I at least understand what the gently caress housing is beyond what the tutorial says (which is basically nothing).

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Vookatos posted:

Thank you! I was kinda baffled that someone thought a person who has some money for the house can actually not know what a class is.

I've seen horror stories :shobon:

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

With more goon assistance I've completed the next dungeon crawl review. This will be the last one I link in the thread, since I don't want to poo poo up things by plugging my youtube. I thought this one turned out pretty good all things considered, or at least better than the last one.

Thanks to Third Party Tools for helping me out with the Copperbell Run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d4MBRV7omg

EDIT: I'm sorry I mispronounced Coblyns.

You said that healers heal other party members when not healing the tank, and now your viewers are going to be those assholes who don't DPS. :colbert:

Edit: Also, you should turn the in-game music off for this stuff. I can hear it through the music you're putting in.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Line Feed posted:

You said that healers heal other party members when not healing the tank, and now your viewers are going to be those assholes who don't DPS. :colbert:

Edit: Also, you should turn the in-game music off for this stuff. I can hear it through the music you're putting in.

I assume you mean selene heals other party members when not healing the tank.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Line Feed posted:

I sometimes keep it in so the battle sound effects are audible, but I find it more annoying to work with that many audio tracks, so if people don't mind there not being regular dungeon sounds in th ebackground, I'm very happy to make that change.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

what the heck, dudes.

What the heck is that we're ignoring gear and going after the true endgame, of course. One tab filled to the brim with every glamour prism, one filled with dyes and birb fruits, and another filled with the stuff we need for airship building and whatnot :colbert:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Don't bother Augmenting your 120 gear, you'll just replace it with green dungeon drops as you level or, worst case, with vendor-bought whites (or HQ from a goon) by 56.

You'll have enough poetics if you do the 50 dungeons to unlock 50 dungeon roulette, which you do want because they give good XP now. And tell the Crystal Tower LS (Sunday Funday) or your FC when you're doing it, I'm sure someone working on their new-relic will want to come along for bonus poetics and goons play far better than average.

I don't have HW mate. Granted I don't know how much game I have between now and needing to get the expansion. But I figure there's enough to warrant better stabbers for a couple hours. Will Coil and Tower drops outrank Augmented gear?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

You need it now if you think you'll be getting it ever. It's on sale if you're in NA, and if you have HW while doing your level 50 quests you'll get at least 2 levels (closer to even 4-5 if you are slow but do daily roulettes) by the time you get into HW proper. If you don't have the expansion, you throw away all that XP

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The other problem is that it's a pain in the rear end to get Coil drops because you'll have to get 4-5 other people to farm it unsynced for you, and people tend not to do Crystal Tower anymore.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Don't bother Augmenting your 120 gear

Or do augment if you like the look. The augmented versions can be dyed, and some of those sets look fantastic!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i am tim! posted:

Or do augment if you like the look. The augmented versions can be dyed, and some of those sets look fantastic!

I keep wishing to this day that they'd let me do the proper glowy-eye thing in the BLM AF so I'd have an excuse to augment it. They even had the one NPC do exactly that in the 30 BLM quest. Alas... :smith:

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Sentient Data posted:

What the heck is that we're ignoring gear and going after the true endgame, of course. One tab filled to the brim with every glamour prism, one filled with dyes and birb fruits, and another filled with the stuff we need for airship building and whatnot :colbert:

Newbies in dgkk are told constantly "if you need something, ask and someone will be available to make it on the spot 9/10 and do it for free"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

if you need something, ask and multiple crafters will insult each other over FC chat over who gets to do it while another silently makes the item and says "meet at house" while the others are still trading barbs

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
DGKK is a very complicated family.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I should probably clarify that dgkk has always helped me out with gear and with 50 specifically Da Qing / Mistbeard Savage gave me a full set of gear dyed pink, for free. Just a few hours ago I was ilevel 140 and needed 142 to be able to run a dungeon, and Darth Nemesis made me a pretty bracelet and then helped me run the dungeon. I just have never seen them keep a stock of weapons/gear. Its all glamour prisms and dyes, which I try and probably fail to contribute to as much as I take from :shobon:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
A relatively new member of TPT described us as "aggressively helpful."

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's true. We will hold you up at knifepoint, then gear you out.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

i am tim! posted:

Now this is speaking my language.

I meant "don't augment for combat capabilities" - and yes, definitely get HW - because, if nothing else, you can use those poetics to get a head start on the 60 relic if you really feel the need.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I sometimes keep it in so the battle sound effects are audible, but I find it more annoying to work with that many audio tracks, so if people don't mind there not being regular dungeon sounds in th ebackground, I'm very happy to make that change.

You can disable music while still having sound effects! Check your System -> Audio settings in game.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't see HW on the PS Store. That means I have to buy the disc and wait for it to ship anyway. At which point I'm still gonna be playing and wasting said exp. I'm not too worried about it.

vOv posted:

The other problem is that it's a pain in the rear end to get Coil drops because you'll have to get 4-5 other people to farm it unsynced for you, and people tend not to do Crystal Tower anymore.

This makes it sound like I should get the Augmented gear since the rest is apparently a pain in the rear end. Plus I quite like the little dress and having it in blue would be tops.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

I don't see HW on the PS Store. That means I have to buy the disc and wait for it to ship anyway. At which point I'm still gonna be playing and wasting said exp. I'm not too worried about it.

This makes it sound like I should get the Augmented gear since the rest is apparently a pain in the rear end. Plus I quite like the little dress and having it in blue would be tops.

If you like the looks of it then go for it by all means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boz
Oct 16, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/final-fantasy-xiv-heavensward-standard-edition/cid=UP0082-CUSA00288_00-FFXIVEXPS400001A

• Locked thread