Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Admiral Joeslop posted:

FFG please release full repaints and pilot cards of all Rogue Squadron members during the Bacta War, thanks. :allears:

My gut says that's what Rebel Veterans will eventually be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What needs to be done to fix the T-65? They can't/won't make a new dial unless they decide to break precedent. Rogue Squadron Title, reduces points and... adds a system slot? Or gives them Engine Upgrade for free, though that makes Integrated Astromech a lot worse. Is a third Evade die enough?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'd actually rather see the X-wing get barrel roll in some way rather than boost. It would differentiate it from the t-70 for a start. The internet is filled with ideas in regards to the t-65 but most of them don't sound very exciting.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

The Gate posted:

I do agree that Whisper and Soontir are basically filling the exact same role as well. I prefer Soontir for the maneuver and durability, but I can see the argument for Whisper. I'm just not willing to pay the extra points yet.

Per usual, I have fairly similar opinions, just on the opposite side. I have nearly polar opposite experiences w/r/t Fel and Vader - Vader can consistently shove damage through, Soontir I'm afraid to spend the Focus on offense so I don't; Soontir's lack of TL kinda irks me, etc. - and I prefer Whisper to Fel. 100% agree on them essentially being the same role in a list, however. If OLeader didn't exist, I would have no doubt in my mind that VFP would be "the" Empire list to beat at the moment. A 26-point killer app makes Whisper playable again.

Tekopo posted:

I'd actually rather see the X-wing get barrel roll in some way rather than boost. It would differentiate it from the t-70 for a start. The internet is filled with ideas in regards to the t-65 but most of them don't sound very exciting.

I'm okay with anything, as long as T-65 fixes are still incoming. I like my proposal for a "Red Five" unique title, but I ultimately don't care as long as there's something in the pipe.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What needs to be done to fix the T-65? They can't/won't make a new dial unless they decide to break precedent. Rogue Squadron Title, reduces points and... adds a system slot? Or gives them Engine Upgrade for free, though that makes Integrated Astromech a lot worse. Is a third Evade die enough?

I think IA is like, 90% of what they need, as a whole.

There are a bunch of named pilots who are pretty good now. Wedge, Wes, Biggs, and Tarn are all great with just IA. For them, IA alone is fine.

There's still no reason to take a generic X-Wing over a B-Wing, and a few named pilots could use a boost (poor Luke), so I wouldn't be surprised if there was SOMETHING else. I have no idea what form it would take, though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Admiral Joeslop posted:

FFG please release full repaints and pilot cards of all Rogue Squadron members during the Bacta War, thanks. :allears:

I'd love to get the custom Bacta War X-Wing paint jobs.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think they have said that IA isn't the X-wing fix. Also where the hell is the Scyk/Starviper aces pack :v:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

guts and bolts posted:

Per usual, I have fairly similar opinions, just on the opposite side. I have nearly polar opposite experiences w/r/t Fel and Vader - Vader can consistently shove damage through, Soontir I'm afraid to spend the Focus on offense so I don't; Soontir's lack of TL kinda irks me, etc. - and I prefer Whisper to Fel. 100% agree on them essentially being the same role in a list, however. If OLeader didn't exist, I would have no doubt in my mind that VFP would be "the" Empire list to beat at the moment. A 26-point killer app makes Whisper playable again.

Targeting computer + aurothrusters Soontir is a pretty good build for dealing damage, and it gives him another useful action once he's out of arc. I'm not too attached to the stealth device though, so YMMV on if you want to run him without it.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Sorry to bring up the Defender again, I'll try not to provoke anything, but I genuinely find it really interesting that the X7 is considered such a powerful title. I mean, it IS, obviously, 'assign token' is such a great ability, but it's fascinating to me that a ship that was pure rubbish, completely worthless in a competitive list at basic, is flipped completely on its head by an ability and a -2.

If the X7 title was 0 cost, I think we'd consider it still garbage. The fact that the Defender has a white K-turn isn't considered an advantage because it's broadcast so clearly in-game, so making the ship rely even more on 3-moves wouldn't get it out of the trash pile. At -1 I think it'd be considered pretty reasonable, a nice boost to turn the Defender from an awful anti-win into a decent niche ship, but that extra point into the -2 has caused several pages of reasonable goons almost throttling each other over it.

Honestly, I think it is probably intentionally an effort to make the Defender markedly better than it needed to be improved by, and probably into one of the better ships in the game. FFG have never really minded that too much though, probably largely because it sells more ships/card packs, and there was similar division over Boba just a few pages ago for similar reasons - out with the old, in with the new. It's the way their living games tend to work, and although I do sympathise with people who hate the new Defender strength (I could rant about Faust for days) I've gotta say that I eagerly await a reason to get my Defender out of its box again.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey there, after reading about ships being bent/damaged a couple of pages back, is there anything I can do to salvage my Y-Wing's right engine-extension...thing, in its current state? (Front view, rear view. Apologies about the poor quality of the photos)
Since yeah, I don't know how it could've been bent like that in my case, although the only other possible explanation would be the plastic softening under the heat we've had recently, which also seems fairly unlikely, since I'm sure it's seen hotter days.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

If you think Soontir Fel is a better option at this point than Omega Leader is, yep, we just don't agree. I don't even think Soontir Fel is one of the five most attractive options for an Empire list at this point. The stuff that beats Fel crushes him.

I'll be blunt; I think you're not very good at running Fel, and I don't think you've played people who are very good at running Fel.

OL isn't even comparable to Fel, and he's not meant to be. It's not a contest, because they fill different roles and play very differently.

Major Isoor posted:

Hey there, after reading about ships being bent/damaged a couple of pages back, is there anything I can do to salvage my Y-Wing's right engine-extension...thing, in its current state? (Front view, rear view. Apologies about the poor quality of the photos)
Since yeah, I don't know how it could've been bent like that in my case, although the only other possible explanation would be the plastic softening under the heat we've had recently, which also seems fairly unlikely, since I'm sure it's seen hotter days.

I've had FFG replace components when I straight up told them I lost them, they're pretty generous. I'd contact them and ask for a replacement.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 13, 2016

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

I think they have said that IA isn't the X-wing fix. Also where the hell is the Scyk/Starviper aces pack :v:

They said it wasn't necessarily the last fix but they want to see if the current one works.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Sacrifice it to match the Gold Squadron art.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What is IA?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Integrated Astromech

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Geisladisk posted:

I'll be blunt; I think you're not very good at running Fel, and I don't think you've played people who are very good at running Fel.

OL isn't even comparable to Fel, and he's not meant to be. It's not a contest, because they fill different roles and play very differently.

Yeah, I'm not sure how to put this nicely, guts, but you've only been playing for a month and a half. It's a deep enough game that unless you've been playing it non-stop there's things left for you to learn, especially about one of the most difficult pilots in the game.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I tried making a Super Dash list that makes use of Roark Garnet to get rid of one of Dash's weaknesses (low PS) but there's not much use to it :smith:

You can either load up a PS4 HWK or keep it empty and have a naked something else, neither are good complements to Dash.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hwks just kind of suck. They're situationally good, but not quite worth it.

I wish they had one of the following
The SLAM action.
One more native attack die AND another shield
Cost one or two less points for all pilots for both factions.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

ConfusedUs posted:

Hwks just kind of suck. They're situationally good, but not quite worth it.

I wish they had one of the following
The SLAM action.
One more native attack die AND another shield
Cost one or two less points for all pilots for both factions.

A HWK-only modification that gave it SLAM would actually be Cool & Good and I would approve of this measure.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Geisladisk posted:

You're the same guy who thought that Palpshuttle was rendered unplayable by Boba Fett? Or, put another way, being blunt, I don't think I'm going to take your word for it. Sorry. More to the point, I wasn't saying that OLeader does Fel's job at all, let alone better - just that I think OLeader is the best ship at the Empire's disposal, in the current meta, and he dramatically changes how you balance the game since he's 26 points. In a lot of ways, Imperial Veterans and Omega Leader do things to the Empire's balancing formula going forward that are going to be hard to parse in the short term. You can't create any other truly effective ships in that price range, now, for example, without risking blowing the game open, in the same way that you've now essentially made it so that 3-cost cannons (or lower) have to be very carefully balanced because of their use with TIE/D.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure how to put this nicely, guts, but you've only been playing for a month and a half. It's a deep enough game that unless you've been playing it non-stop there's things left for you to learn, especially about one of the most difficult pilots in the game.

That's the thing, though - Fel doesn't strike me as difficult in the same way that a ship like 41Whisper is, in the same way that "doing an uppercut" isn't actually hard in Street Fighter. Once you know how to do it, it is no longer "hard," and anyone at respectable levels of play takes it as an automatic skill you possess. Fel can token-tank, and he has good action economy, and he's PS9. I'm not sure where the mystique comes from w/r/t his perceived difficulty. You dodge arcs. X-Wing is a great game, I do essentially play it non-stop (three dedicated nights a week and a lot of other time spent on Vassal and, regrettably, TTS), and I just don't think it's incredibly hard to learn. Match-up specific tactics are difficult to master, for sure, and there are wide gaps in my knowledge of what used to be in meta and popular, but I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm undefeated in consecutive months thus far in store league and have a sort of egregiously positive overall winrate. Some of this is owed to the fact that between waves, tech changes - people experiment with stuff that they'd normally not find competitive, stuff like that, I get it - and some of it is owed to a metagame that still tends to adhere to old standards (like, for example, Soontir Fel, who is all over the place at GA, AE, and GT) instead of choosing what might be considered pound-for-pound more effective in the meta (we have like two dedicated TLT players I've been able to find).

Fel plays the same game of anticipating enemy movement, and can largely cover for mistakes with discretionary position changes. I think that once you have a basic understanding of the game he's one of the easier ships to play, because he has one truly effective build and tends to have fairly binary choices available to him at any given moment. I'm not sure this equates to "hard" - a "hard" ship to fly, to me, is one that has its basic movement options strictly hamstrung, or that doesn't get access to blatantly effective EPT tech to compensate for potential mistakes made, or whatever. Like a B-Wing is hard to fly, for me. Fel is less so.

I don't doubt there's a lot more stuff for me to learn, and that's why I try to put thought into the posts I make when drawing the conclusions that I do. I'm not materializing things out of thin air - I apply the matchup experience I have against the players I've played against when deciding what to run, and how. Soontir Fel is probably the ship I'm most comfortable making comments on, because he's probably been in > 50% of the games I've ever played in X-Wing. When I have little experience with a subject, I also try to go to listbuilding in high-profile tournaments. Fel was in the number 4 Worlds list, and didn't re-appear until 16 and 17, and does not re-appear again. Omega Leader wasn't played yet, and his point cost is what makes Whisper such an attractive option now - you can have two high-efficacy aces in a list with a Palpshuttle where one of them is Whisper, now, and before you could not. This isn't speculative or whatever - these are just facts.

Now, I don't think that looking at what strictly wins at Worlds defines what is best - too many other factors come into play - but I think it forms an excellent spine for what is playable at the highest level. Fel appears in three of the top thirty-two lists; Empire featured in eight. This was before OLeader was even a thing. The data by itself, to me, indicates that people are wary about slotting Soontir Fel blindly into lists just because he's Fel, or that they've come to a similar conclusion to ConfusedUs, which is that Fel is a massive liability in some lists, and is one bad roll away from being a liability in virtually every other matchup. Whisper appeared in exactly one fewer list than Soontir Fel did, and that was before the tech that freed her up in listbuilding even existed.

Do I think I'm a Worlds-level player because I've had a run of success locally? No. But I also put thought behind my analysis, and I feel confident saying most of what I'm saying, some hyperbole excluded. If you think Soontir Fel is still the de facto core of Empire listbuilding, back it up. Show me whatcha got. I'm not saying I won't change my mind.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 13, 2016

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Post casual

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

guts and bolts posted:

You're the same guy who thought that Palpshuttle was rendered unplayable by Boba Fett? Or, put another way, being blunt, I don't think I'm going to take your word for it. Sorry. More to the point, I wasn't saying that OLeader does Fel's job at all, let alone better - just that I think OLeader is the best ship at the Empire's disposal, in the current meta, and he dramatically changes how you balance the game since he's 26 points. In a lot of ways, Imperial Veterans and Omega Leader do things to the Empire's balancing formula going forward that are going to be hard to parse in the short term. You can't create any other truly effective ships in that price range, now, for example, without risking blowing the game open, in the same way that you've now essentially made it so that 3-cost cannons (or lower) have to be very carefully balanced because of their use with TIE/D.

That's the thing, though - Fel doesn't strike me as difficult in the same way that a ship like 41Whisper is, in the same way that "doing an uppercut" isn't actually hard in Street Fighter. Once you know how to do it, it is no longer "hard," and anyone at respectable levels of play takes it as an automatic skill you possess. Fel can token-tank, and he has good action economy, and he's PS9. I'm not sure where the mystique comes from w/r/t his perceived difficulty. You dodge arcs. X-Wing is a great game, I do essentially play it non-stop (three dedicated nights a week and a lot of other time spent on Vassal and, regrettably, TTS), and I just don't think it's incredibly hard to learn. Match-up specific tactics are difficult to master, for sure, and there are wide gaps in my knowledge of what used to be in meta and popular, but I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm undefeated in consecutive months thus far in store league and have a sort of egregiously positive overall winrate. Some of this is owed to the fact that between waves, tech changes - people experiment with stuff that they'd normally not find competitive, stuff like that, I get it - and some of it is owed to a metagame that still tends to adhere to old standards (like, for example, Soontir Fel, who is all over the place at GA, AE, and GT) instead of choosing what might be considered pound-for-pound more effective in the meta (we have like two dedicated TLT players I've been able to find).

Fel plays the same game of anticipating enemy movement, and can largely cover for mistakes with discretionary position changes. I think that once you have a basic understanding of the game he's one of the easier ships to play, because he has one truly effective build and tends to have fairly binary choices available to him at any given moment. I'm not sure this equates to "hard" - a "hard" ship to fly, to me, is one that has its basic movement options strictly hamstrung, or that doesn't get access to blatantly effective EPT tech to compensate for potential mistakes made, or whatever. Like a B-Wing is hard to fly, for me. Fel is less so.

I don't doubt there's a lot more stuff for me to learn, and that's why I try to put thought into the posts I make when drawing the conclusions that I do. I'm not materializing things out of thin air - I apply the matchup experience I have against the players I've played against when deciding what to run, and how. Soontir Fel is probably the ship I'm most comfortable making comments on, because he's probably been in > 50% of the games I've ever played in X-Wing. When I have little experience with a subject, I also try to go to listbuilding in high-profile tournaments. Fel was in the number 4 Worlds list, and didn't re-appear until 16 and 17, and does not re-appear again. Omega Leader wasn't played yet, and his point cost is what makes Whisper such an attractive option now - you can have two high-efficacy aces in a list with a Palpshuttle where one of them is Whisper, now, and before you could not. This isn't speculative or whatever - these are just facts.

Now, I don't think that looking at what strictly wins at Worlds defines what is best - too many other factors come into play - but I think it forms an excellent spine for what is playable at the highest level. Fel appears in three of the top thirty-two lists; Empire featured in eight. This was before OLeader was even a thing. The data by itself, to me, indicates that people are wary about slotting Soontir Fel blindly into lists just because he's Fel, or that they've come to a similar conclusion to ConfusedUs, which is that Fel is a massive liability in some lists, and is one bad roll away from being a liability in virtually every other matchup. Whisper appeared in exactly one fewer list than Soontir Fel did, and that was before the tech that freed her up in listbuilding even existed.

Do I think I'm a Worlds-level player because I've had a run of success locally? No. But I also put thought behind my analysis, and I feel confident saying most of what I'm saying, some hyperbole excluded. If you think Soontir Fel is still the de facto core of Empire listbuilding, back it up. Show me whatcha got. I'm not saying I won't change my mind.

:shrek:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

:captainpop:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

guts and bolts posted:

or that they've come to a similar conclusion to ConfusedUs, which is that Fel is a massive liability in some lists, and is one bad roll away from being a liability in virtually every other matchup.

lol if you think that's what I said.

My point is that Soontir is no longer an auto-include, because he's no longer the best at everything. He absolutely, 100% still has a place on the table.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

ConfusedUs posted:

lol if you think that's what I said.

My point is that Soontir is no longer an auto-include, because he's no longer the best at everything. He absolutely, 100% still has a place on the table.

That's the thing, though - if I say "I don't think he's the best Empire ace" or "I don't think he's a top-5 Empire ship anymore" that doesn't mean I think he's unplayable. He is perpetually one bad roll away from dead. Always. He is binary by nature. He isn't especially hard, in the sense that he has good discretionary movement at his disposal and PTL doesn't shut his dial off the same way it does, say, Poe Dameron. I just don't think he's the best, and I don't think that thinking he isn't the best/top 5 means every Fel I've played against is poo poo or that I'm poo poo at Fel. Your conclusion, to me, is this:

1) Soontir Fel has some undeniable strengths.
2) Soontir Fel is always beholden to green dice gods at some point in most games, which heightens variance - sometimes you'll just get a bad roll and that's that.
3) The stuff that exists to counter Fel does not "soft-counter" him, it crushes him.
4) Therefore, Soontir Fel is not the de facto number 1 for Empire.

Am I reading you wrong? Me, personally, I don't think Fel is auto-include. I don't like him as much as Whisper or Vader. I think OLeader is the best ship Empire has to offer. I think Black Crack, as a list archetype, is scary in the right hands. None of the popular "strong" lists I've played against or seen played online or played against online include Fel except for one - VFP - and I'm not 100% sold on its efficacy over POW. Fel, to me, isn't the same ship that he seems to be or have been for other players, where he is the anchor point and you build your entire list around him. I just don't think he's that guy (anymore).

EDIT: I have flown against Vader/Fel/OLeader a few times, actually. I have less experience with this list comparatively speaking - I've used it more than I've seen it used - so I'm suspect about whether I'm seeing it "done properly." So there's that, full disclosure.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 13, 2016

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

guts and bolts posted:

Sorry couldn't resist

And I like Omega Leader and wish I could get more practice at him.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 13, 2016

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Look guys I've been playing for two months and trust me when I say you're all a bunch of shitheads

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

grassy gnoll posted:

Look guys I've been playing for two months and trust me when I say you're all a bunch of shitheads

yeah you're right this whole time I've been saying Soontir Fel is unplayable entirely and has no place on the table and that everyone else is wrong and dumb lmao oh wait

guts and bolts posted:

[...] I prefer Whisper to Fel. 100% agree on them essentially being the same role in a list, however. If OLeader didn't exist, I would have no doubt in my mind that VFP would be "the" Empire list to beat at the moment.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I played my first game of X-Wing in years against my wife. She has never played. We did the tutorial mission, her playing Resistance and me playing First Order.

I won with one hull point left on my remaining TIE.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I played my first game of X-Wing in years against my wife. She has never played. We did the tutorial mission, her playing Resistance and me playing First Order.

The very first game I played was against my buddy: He was Resistance and I was First Order. I had a lone TIE remaining, maybe 1 or 2 Hull like yourself, and my buddy snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by ramming Poe into an asteroid. He was outside of my firing arc and gearing up to seal the game, but he misjudged the Bank 3 template and dashed himself against the rocks. :banjo:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

These are my favorite games. If everyone on the board at the end isn't 2/3 of stressed, on fire, or dealing with critical effects I don't feel like it was a real good game. The nailbiters are the most fun for me, just steamrolling someone/getting steamrolled...not so much.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

I think everyone, even Guts&Bolts can agree that Soontir is still Top 5, right? In reality, are there even five Aces in the race?

1. Darth Vader
2. Omega Leader
3. Vessery (Post-Veterans)
4. Whisper
5. Soontir Fel

I don't think The Inquisitor is going to be bumping anyone off that list. And then who's left? Rexler Brath, Juno Eclipse, or Carnor Jax, none of which are better than Soontir, unless you're valuing PS 10 that highly.

Soontir definitely still has a game against VI Poe, and Whisper still has a game against VI Poe IN THE RIGHT LIST. And that seems to be the big difference. I personally prefer Whisper because of the non-VI Poe matchups, but I definitely think that Soontir is happier to see VI Poe across the table than Whisper is. Hell, I'm actually testing out a Decoy Whisper build just to win the VI Poe matchup (and VI Ten Numb).

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Tractor beam makes people angry. They don't like it. Man, come to think of it, taking away a green die really is pretty good, that's like a pocket Wedge (though you gotta hit first). And the drop-people-on-asteroids potential, the ability to turn off guns and force them into/out of your arc, this is a pretty potent 1 point...

e: outrider with 360 tractor beam, bad but great

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

But how was the fidelity?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

I think everyone, even Guts&Bolts can agree that Soontir is still Top 5, right? In reality, are there even five Aces in the race?

1. Darth Vader
2. Omega Leader
3. Vessery (Post-Veterans)
4. Whisper
5. Soontir Fel

I don't think The Inquisitor is going to be bumping anyone off that list. And then who's left? Rexler Brath, Juno Eclipse, or Carnor Jax, none of which are better than Soontir, unless you're valuing PS 10 that highly.

Soontir definitely still has a game against VI Poe, and Whisper still has a game against VI Poe IN THE RIGHT LIST. And that seems to be the big difference. I personally prefer Whisper because of the non-VI Poe matchups, but I definitely think that Soontir is happier to see VI Poe across the table than Whisper is. Hell, I'm actually testing out a Decoy Whisper build just to win the VI Poe matchup (and VI Ten Numb).

I was counting poo poo like Howlrunner and Black Squadron Pilots with Crack Shot in my "five most desirable ships to module-ize together in Empire"; if we're talking just aces, Soontir is very easily in the "top 5," and if I'm being fair is probably still in the top five even if we're not. The Inquisitor I'm not sure about, but his cost:benefit ratio seems to be favorable? I mean, he's worth a shot. I'm still not sold on him, and I think the current Autothrusters ruling hurts, but c'est la vie.

VI Poe not as horrific as I thought it'd be*, because his action economy is generally poor. You Kallus him and you basically get the same dicehax he gets, except you don't need to Focus first, and you have Palp on your team. He'll rarely Boost after maneuvering to get a better shot/positioning - most Poes just blindly Focus no matter what, always.

The VI Poe match usually sees me taking Evade actions with Whisper, or, where possible, has OLeader tangling with him.

*as POW

Icon Of Sin posted:

These are my favorite games. If everyone on the board at the end isn't 2/3 of stressed, on fire, or dealing with critical effects I don't feel like it was a real good game. The nailbiters are the most fun for me, just steamrolling someone/getting steamrolled...not so much.

My first game ever played with Poe/Red Ace/Y-Wing was down to my Y-Wing as the last ship left alive, trying to Ion Cannon this guy down, but I was stressed to poo poo from my R3-A2 spam and I had gotten a Console Fire crit. He just flew away while I burned myself to death. :(

EDIT:

General Battuta posted:

Tractor beam makes people angry. They don't like it. Man, come to think of it, taking away a green die really is pretty good, that's like a pocket Wedge (though you gotta hit first). And the drop-people-on-asteroids potential, the ability to turn off guns and force them into/out of your arc, this is a pretty potent 1 point...

e: outrider with 360 tractor beam, bad but great

Have you tried Tractor Beam on Vessery with Ruthlessness and TIE/D? I watched a game where a Poe got thrown onto a rock, then killed a wounded Miranda with the Ruthlessness damage. It was trolly as gently caress.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 13, 2016

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
Dang people post a lot in this thread. I've been super out of the game for like a month cause my schedule hasn't been matching up at all with the people I normally play against but I've got a big weekend of nerd gaming planned so hopefully that will take care of business for awhile!

People were talking about cool K-Wing paint jobs a thousand posts ago so I thought I'd link a couple pics of one I had a guy do for me:

It's based on a Crimson Skies bomber thing, I'm starting to really like predominant red schemes lately. I know the painting thread is that way but that thing is mostly warhammer from what I've seen and who wants to read about that.

I'm planning to play my second ever epic game this weekend and I'm wondering if anyone has any kind of strategy for formations that keep your small ships close enough to the Raider or whatever to take advantage of the various Range 1-2 bonuses it can equip while simultaneously engaging the enemy and not getting your rear end run over by your own dang self.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hahahahahha Ten Numb with VI and Tractor Beam. Then Wedge. Minus 2 greens motherfucker!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ZenMastaT posted:

Dang people post a lot in this thread. I've been super out of the game for like a month cause my schedule hasn't been matching up at all with the people I normally play against but I've got a big weekend of nerd gaming planned so hopefully that will take care of business for awhile!

People were talking about cool K-Wing paint jobs a thousand posts ago so I thought I'd link a couple pics of one I had a guy do for me:

It's based on a Crimson Skies bomber thing, I'm starting to really like predominant red schemes lately. I know the painting thread is that way but that thing is mostly warhammer from what I've seen and who wants to read about that.

I'm planning to play my second ever epic game this weekend and I'm wondering if anyone has any kind of strategy for formations that keep your small ships close enough to the Raider or whatever to take advantage of the various Range 1-2 bonuses it can equip while simultaneously engaging the enemy and not getting your rear end run over by your own dang self.
Man, I would kill for a Crimson Skies game using the x-wing system. Or anything Crimson Skies related. I can't believe that franchise just disappeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's a ton of points on Ten Numb to do no damage.

• Locked thread