Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Worth noting that the abolition of the bursaries is the second step in creating a nurse recruitment crisis, the first step already happened and it was the inexplicable decision to require all nurse trainees to complete a three year degree, thus ensuring that the future generation of nurses gets less practical patient contact but can write essays really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I kind of wonder if the NHS shouldn't just endorse any party that funds it properly and be publicly opposed to any government that doesn't.

E: actually all government departments should do that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 12, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Public bodies showing political bias seems suicidal.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Namtab posted:

Being neutral hasn't shown a better outcome recently.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

OwlFancier posted:

I kind of wonder if the NHS shouldn't just endorse any party that funds it properly and be publicly opposed to any government that doesn't.

Like the MoD?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Desiderata posted:

Like the MoD?

Oh, yeah, hmm. Ok can the MoD stop doing it and everyone else start doing it?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

The NHS is apolitical. Except when it isn't. The BMA remain resolutely apolitical which at this stage is just loving stupid when the Government have shown them nothing but contempt. but then again, given how tepid Labour have been about the whole issue, it's not like there's anyone the BMA could join up with at this point except maybe the TUC.

It's the trouble with being a profession which, by and large, is caring and concerned with honesty and evidenced practice - you get super hosed when the people who are opposing you don't play by the same rules.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 13, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Namtab posted:

Why?

The NHS can't lobby in its own favour, but any private health concern can. How is any public entity supposed to be able to weather that kind of inherent bias?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

Why?

The NHS can't lobby in its own favour, but any private health concern can. How is any public entity supposed to be able to weather that kind of inherent bias?

By entering the private sector, you statist.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tesseraction posted:

By entering the private sector, you statist.

Do have a wall in your house? Please go stand by the wall. Someone will be along shortly to protect you.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

What do you honestly think would happen if, say, the fire and rescue service openly backed Labour in an election, and the Tories won.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It sucks when parents of patients criticise cuts and I have to be neutral.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Renaissance Robot posted:

Why?

It's not, that's the whole point of this exercise, from Hunt's perspective. And it's working.

(Also, maybe worth noting that the BMA and the other medics' unions DO lobby for themselves)

Namtab posted:

What do you honestly think would happen if, say, the fire and rescue service openly backed Labour in an election, and the Tories won.

You mean the fire and rescue service whose union recently rejoined the TUC?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Namtab posted:

Lots of tories houses mysteriously catch fire and burn down?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Namtab posted:

Or if Police Commissioners openly ran for election under the banner of political parties.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Twenty firemen in a truck pull up outside Tory HQ: "Nice party headquarters you've got here, shame if anything were to happen to it. Very expensive, all them statues of maggie and that. Wouldn't want them getting an axe accidentally lodged in them would we? My lads out there have their eye on one of those fire engines made out of old russian tanks and fighter jets. I'm sure if you bought us one we could see our way to making sure none of your members find themselves stuck in their cars with the doors mysteriously bent shut."

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 13, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Plus there's a real expectation in the apolitical (read: people who aren't posting about politics at midnight) that the nhs set itself apart from party politics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Namtab posted:

Plus there's a real expectation in the apolitical (read: people who aren't posting about politics at midnight) that the nhs set itself apart from party politics.

Does that fall ahead or behind people's expectations of the NHS to provide the service people depend on it for?

Cos like, at this point not openly opposing the government represents grievous mismanagement.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Does that fall ahead or behind people's expectations of the NHS to provide the service people depend on it for?

Cos like, at this point not openly opposing the government represents grievous mismanagement.

Surprisingly there are a lot of contradictory expectations when you provide healthcare.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Namtab posted:

Surprisingly there are a lot of contradictory expectations when you provide healthcare.

I agree, I just genuinely wonder if it might not be at the point where the NHS collapsing might be worth risking some people's esteem over.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Namtab posted:

It sucks when parents of patients criticise cuts and I have to be neutral.

Why do you have to remain neutral?

I mean yeah I wouldn't wear a giant badge saying 'vote labour' while working on the wards but if someone tells me they think the cuts suck I am definitely going to agree with them. I certainly wouldn't hedge and say anything that might be confused with supporting further NHS cuts. Plenty of doctors have worn badges supporting the BMA at work, and I think agreeing with a sentiment expressed by a patient is less divisive than that.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

I think it's likely that the lack of a push by Labour in support of the BMA publicly has been intentional to avoid feeding the Tories and their media pals a new angle to attack doctors with.

It doesn't look great to those of us dying for Labour to be bringing the fight to the Tories but it's probably for the better.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The lack of support for the BMA is because Labour does not support strikes.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

thespaceinvader posted:

E: for me, and for virtually everyone there last night, the most disappointing thing is that the Labour party hasn't been hitting on this. Even if they wouldn't get published in the papers (which they wouldn't to any significant extent) Corbyn should have been slamming this into every drat PMQs since the strikes were first threatened and he hasn't touched it.

Someone suggested it was because if it does go on long and become unpopular, Labour don't want to be associated with an unpopular group. If that's true, gently caress that poo poo. I don't want to be associated with a Labour party that doesn't support strikers who are doing this entirely for our safety.

Apparently, they have a policy of not endorsing strikes. McDonnel rocked up to the picket line anyway.

quote:

Members of the shadow cabinet were surprised to find McDonnell join the protest at St Thomas’ hospital, near the Houses of Parliament, shortly after Labour’s health spokeswoman Heidi Alexander had explained to them that the party would stand by its policy of not supporting industrial action.

“Eyebrows were raised when John McDonnell turned up at the picket line shortly after he had heard from Heidi at the meeting of the shadow cabinet,” one Labour source said. McDonnell had raised no objections when Alexander outlined the party’s stance.

McDonnell made no intervention during Alexander’s presentation in which she said that Labour was strongly sympathetic to the junior doctors and that the health secretary, Jeremy Hunt, had, in the words of one shadow cabinet member, “ballsed it up”. Other members agreed when Alexander said Hunt should return to the negotiating table but she made clear that Labour would not be endorsing the strike.

Alexander was talking to the Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, at the end of the meeting when McDonnell put on his coat to walk across Westminster bridge to visit the striking junior doctors at St Thomas’. McDonnell gave an interview to the BBC outside the hospital which was supportive of Alexander’s position.

He said: “All these junior doctors are asking for is Jeremy Hunt to get back to the table at [the negotiating service] Acas and resolve this. In Scotland and Wales, they’ve been able to introduce the seven-day working without industrial action. I can’t understand why that is not happening in England. These people don’t want to go on strike. They want to look after their patients. We are just saying to Jeremy Hunt: get back round the table now.”

But some Labour sources said McDonnell’s decision gave the impression of party support. “It is Labour’s approach that we don’t endorse industrial action,” one source said.

McDonnell has told colleagues that he was simply responding to a request to visit the doctors. His visit was all above board, he believes, and was agreed with Alexander.

The strong reaction to McDonnell’s decision highlights the difference him and Corbyn – who both regularly supported strikers in their years on the backbenches – and shadow ministers. Former ministers believe that Labour could suffer severe political damage if it endorsed strikers.

Gonzo McFee posted:

This been posted yet?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/feb/09/cameron-buying-off-tory-mps-theatening-to-rebel-over-council-cuts

The places least effected by the worst of austerity will receive additional funding, those worst effected will get nothing. Because Tories are evil.

Wow. There really isn't a different word for it, is there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why on earth does the Labour party not support strikes?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

OwlFancier posted:

Here's an article with a bit more detail about the historical position of the party on strikes. The tldr is that it sometimes does so tacitly or explicitly at the individual or local level. I guess the reason they're not supporting it is to avoid alienating patients with cancelled appointments etc - basically a political calculation.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 13, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Namtab posted:

Worth noting that the abolition of the bursaries is the second step in creating a nurse recruitment crisis, the first step already happened and it was the inexplicable decision to require all nurse trainees to complete a three year degree, thus ensuring that the future generation of nurses gets less practical patient contact but can write essays really well.

The third step, the second step was setting up deporting all the foreign nurses

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

OwlFancier posted:

Because the party exists to neuter the trade union movement

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

OwlFancier posted:

Because they're wrong at a time when negotiations are still going on. Both sides should put aside the rhetoric, get around the negotiating table, and stop this happening again.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I read "The Ghost" by Robert Harris this afternoon. Man alive, he was not pleased with Blair.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

TinTower posted:

Because they're wrong at a time when negotiations are still going on. Both sides should put aside the rhetoric, get around the negotiating table, and stop this happening again.

Seriously?

Edit: Oh its an Ed Miliband quote.

jabby fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 13, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

TinTower posted:

There's no negotiation with a shark.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

I think generally the BMA has tried to keep party politics out of it's strikes playing the concerned professionals angle, so avoid a mob of labour mps has been in there interest. But I'm sure I've seen McDonnell on the picket line so who knows.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

TinTower posted:

TinTower posted:

TinTower posted:

:golfclap:

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

jabby posted:

Seriously?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCem9EZb-YA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZxH-t-4KbY

The real surprise isn't that Labour hasn't backed the strike, it's that they are not publicly condemning it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Fans posted:

Labour does not support strikes.

What a joke. Just look at that sentence.

TinTower posted:

Especially hilarious in this case because the BMA actually did that twice and after coming to an agreement got told to do one because Hunt didn't want to compromise.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Having seen how well the Americans got on with Camp Bucca, Gove's decided he wants to create his own.

I'm sure no bad can come from putting 100+ violent criminals dedicated to the same murderous ideology in the same place, this is definitely a good idea.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Guys chill its all part of corbyns new politics.
We don't want to be negative here, the plan of asking Cameron "what are you going to do to help Mary feed her cats" every PMQs so he can make a speech about how great he is is going to pay off some day.

E: anyway what is the destruction of the nations infrastructure in comparison to a rehashed old fight nobody under 50 cares about over what missiles our submarines carry?

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 13, 2016

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

baka kaba posted:

Am I right in thinking most junior doctors are a) graduating with a huge wodge of student loan debt, and b) losing another chunk of their salaries to repayments because they're over the 'you earn enough' threshold?

Yes. And the threshold's been frozen by Osbourne rather than rising in line with inflation as was promised in 2012 so it's an effective tax rise / pay cut each year. Funny that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Having seen how well the Americans got on with Camp Bucca, Gove's decided he wants to create his own.

I'm sure no bad can come from putting 100+ violent criminals dedicated to the same murderous ideology in the same place, this is definitely a good idea.

I'm pretty sure one of the key ways to combat fundamentalism/extremism is to help people move AWAY from the people around them who also support that view not shove them all into one place where they can share ideas and whip each other up into a frenzy. Unless his plan is to also keep them in permanent isolation which... is not better.

nopantsjack posted:

Guys chill its all part of corbyns new politics.
We don't want to be negative here, the plan of asking Cameron "what are you going to do to help Mary feed her cats" every PMQs so he can make a speech about how great he is is going to pay off some day.

I have been all for Corbs but loving hell his inability to focus on the current important political issues and actually challenge the madness competently is driving me up the wall. He has missed so many golden opportunities, and I don't care if he doesn't produce a fancy soundbite but any sounds would be good really.

• Locked thread