Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Is it weird that I'm incredibly excited by the fact my current ruler is 6/6/6 and I'm getting the full benefit of him as ruler from the moment he turns 16? I was very excited when he was only 6/4/6 but then he got an event to improve his diplomacy and I got 2 off it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Have they messed with the build in the latest patch? My game keeps crashing, and a friend who bought EU4 after I recommended it is also having problems (like game freezing 4 times in the tutorial)

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
Venetian Sea: EXTREME EDITION

Have greater than 90% share of trade power in Alexandria and Constantinople, without ever owning more than 9 provinces (N.B. Venice starts out with 9 provinces)

Also cool idea alert: You should be able to group forts (and armies???), and turn on/off maintenance per group.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Bort Bortles posted:

My Ethiopia game is getting stagnant...

Spain and France rival'd me. I have yet to fight the Ottomans, who are allied with Muscovy, Tunis, and Pasai. India and China are hugfests. I am fully Westernized and funneling a ton of trade to Zanzibar. With Economic and all the trade income I have all these gold mines and negative inflation.

I dont see anywhere I can go other than Persia and Songhai, who is allied to the rest of the West African minors. Baluchistan is my vassal and I am thinking of feeding them some of Persia so I dont have to pay to core it because I am way behind on Admin tech and am almost to the efficiency bonuses.

I'm doing an Ethiopia run right now as well. Definitely going to just let Ottoman have their bits of Egypt next time, it's definitely not worth the trouble trying to both grab them before the Ottomans and not get utterly murderized in the process.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why the gently caress does forming the Netherlands kick you out of the HRE? It turns that decision into a trap, because I don't think Dutch ideas or the Dutch Republic are good enough to justify it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

Why the gently caress does forming the Netherlands kick you out of the HRE? It turns that decision into a trap, because I don't think Dutch ideas or the Dutch Republic are good enough to justify it.

I think the argument could be made that the dutch republic is worth it. I can't think of a better government form. You just have to make sure you're strong enough to take on the HRE when you take the decision. If you're facing Mega-Austria that's allied to France, well, yes, that is going to be a challenge.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What's so great about Dutch Republic? I've tried it a few times and didn't really like it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

What's so great about Dutch Republic? I've tried it a few times and didn't really like it.

You can have royal marriages, even though you're a republic, and almost always you get one really good choice for ruler with over 10 combined attributes. Your leader is usually at least 40+ (maybe always, I have noticed most are late 40s or in their 50s), so that you aren't stuck with a bad leader for very long. You can stick in the statist camp and just relect ever 3 years, or go for guys who rule for life. If you ride the line this means you can sort of bounce back and forth and keep the really good leaders for life. No regencies.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Tsyni posted:

You can have royal marriages, even though you're a republic, and almost always you get one really good choice for ruler with over 10 combined attributes. Your leader is usually at least 40+ (maybe always, I have noticed most are late 40s or in their 50s), so that you aren't stuck with a bad leader for very long. You can stick in the statist camp and just relect ever 3 years, or go for guys who rule for life. If you ride the line this means you can sort of bounce back and forth and keep the really good leaders for life. No regencies.

Yup. If you get good at balancing statist/orangist you can almost always look at your list of leaders and either pick a really good guy who rules for life or pick a not so good guy who you replace next election with a good guy who rules for life. Basically you get double the monarch points of any other government type.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
One thing I've noticed about this game is that you can basically ignore geography almost entirely and blob at will, when in reality geography is one of the most important factors in determining how poo poo happens.

Let's say that autonomy, instead of being split into overseas/non-overseas, was instead determined by distance to the capital. And, not just distance - but time-to-travel distance. Mountains take longer than hills take longer than fields take longer than oceans. All of a sudden, you need to be strategic with your blobbing in order to be effective. Mountain ranges constrain expansion. Controlling river provinces would be critical to increase your influence over provinces in that river basin. A nation's dominance of the seas could increase the autonomy gain per sea tile for their rivals.

Essentially a bunch of interesting poo poo that would not only add depth to the game but be historically accurate as well.

I'm no computer wizard man though so i don't know if this all would be too expensive in terms of computation or introduce intractable balance issues or whatever.

TITY BOI fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 13, 2016

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
Basically as a geopolitics nerd it triggers me greatly that the 'politics' map is the de facto map-mode and the terrain mode can be basically ignored. ANyway, peace.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

TITY BOI posted:

One thing I've noticed about this game is that you can basically ignore geography almost entirely and blob at will, when in reality geography is one of the most important factors in determining how poo poo happens.

Let's say that autonomy, instead of being split into overseas/non-overseas, was instead determined by distance to the capital. And, not just distance - but time-to-travel distance. Mountains take longer than hills take longer than fields take longer than oceans. All of a sudden, you need to be strategic with your blobbing in order to be effective. Mountain ranges constrain expansion. Controlling river provinces would be critical to increase your influence over provinces in that river basin. A nation's dominance of the seas could increase the autonomy gain per sea tile for their rivals.

Essentially a bunch of interesting poo poo that would not only add depth to the game but be historically accurate as well.

I'm no computer wizard man though so i don't know if this all would be too expensive in terms of computation or introduce intractable balance issues or whatever.

Heck yeah

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

YF-23 posted:

France and Spain rivalling you isn't nice. I'd say feed Persia to Baluhistan and finish up with those Mutapan provinces while you catch up on Admin. I don't know if you've been able to ally Poland but that looks like it would be prudent for when you take on the Otts. You've got plenty of time so don't worry about needing to rush anything. You can expand diplomatically in India by getting allies there to pull into wars with the Ottomans, I'm sure they'd be helpful if for no other reason than because they'll be forcing the Ottomans to divert forces on other fronts. You should also colonise Australia once you get the chance, you can get more gold income from that. Once you're more caught up in Admin tech I'd suggest hitting up west Africa. If you've been able to pick up Administrative ideas, that's gonna be even better, if not, I'm sure there's tags you can release as vassals once you take some provinces.

Just remember that you can easily take what you need from the Ottomans in less than 100 years, so plan accordingly. You still have plenty of build-up time.
No one in Europe is willing to ally me, it sucks. The fact that the Ottomans are BFFs with Muscovy makes my eye twitch. No one in India is willing to be friends with me, and now that I am Westernized I cannot vassalize anyone there, either. I think I will have to buff up Baluchistan so they can help me fight the Ottomans. The Ottomans being allied to Pasai is also super inconvenient because it means they will be able to run amok in my backfield while I'm fighting a hellwar with the Ottomans, if/when that starts.

And yeah once I'm not sore for Admin points (1 Adm skill or less on like 3 or 4 straight rulers, wooo!) I will push into West Africa. I got a mission to take Canton so I took it and dunked on Lan Na and their allies to take it and some other Chinese stuff, including a province in Burma that will let me get a cassus belli on an ally of Orissa, so I can start to try to take that alliance bloc apart, too. I want to take over Brunei, but I want to take over the whole thing since I will not be able to take anything from Pasai and I need as much trade power in Malacca as I can get.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Not to my knowledge. it's just that Spain gets an extra colonist and their final national idea boosts settler speed so they can grab the whole of Madagascar in one go and develop it fast. Plus, they've probably got better Diplomacy tech than you, so even better settler speed.

Oh yeah, and obviously you should eat Persia if at all possible. That's a lot of manpower and money. Songhai isn't a bad idea either. There's a surprising number of high-development provinces, plus some gold and exotic resources.

Who is Iraq allied to, by the way?
They colonized and citied the whole island of Madagascar in like 4 years, it is uncanny. They went from not having anything there to having 3 cities in less than 5 years - I checked two of the screenshots I took.

I want to eat Persia, Songhai, and Brunei....but I'm so admin poor I have to take it slow. And since I am Westernized I cant do any vassalizing or conquer and releasing or anything.

Iraq is independent and not allied to anyone, I just cant vassalize them in one war and have stayed away from them since they are so close to the Ottomans.

Sheep posted:

I'm doing an Ethiopia run right now as well. Definitely going to just let Ottoman have their bits of Egypt next time, it's definitely not worth the trouble trying to both grab them before the Ottomans and not get utterly murderized in the process.
Yeah I learned this the hard way. I found out that the Portuguese assistance you can get is incredibly amazing (for 10 years) so pray that they help you and that really helps you get a leg up.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

DurosKlav posted:

Is it weird that I'm incredibly excited by the fact my current ruler is 6/6/6 and I'm getting the full benefit of him as ruler from the moment he turns 16? I was very excited when he was only 6/4/6 but then he got an event to improve his diplomacy and I got 2 off it.

He'll be dead in 10 years.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

That was really good. A pro click, even.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Sheep posted:

Definitely going to just let Ottoman have their bits of Egypt

nah, gently caress them :black101:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

TITY BOI posted:

While it would be interesting, I think it will be really counterintuitive from a gameplay POV when you're in London and your autonomy in Venezia is lowering faster than the Scottish Highlands since ports were historically "closer" in terms of frequency of communication and whatnot than harder to reach overland destinations.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Huzzah. I am the 0.04%.

The most annoying thing in this game was actually my own vassals: two of them decided to take Humanist ideas, which meant they wouldn't convert the territory I gave them. You'd think a client state would be more obliging, but...

In the end it didn't matter, since the last 10 years were spent waiting for Religious Zeal to wear off on two provinces. But I spent a considerable amount of time trying to nudge my vassals with subsidies and gifts before realizing they just weren't gonna budge!

(and man, check out those commonwealth borders.)

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

:worship: Tabbing out works on a Mac in 1.15!!! :worship:

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Are there any good history books on the Medicis that folks would recommend?

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Medici#Further_reading

Probably a good place to start. Any number of these books might have further sources listed in them.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Just gonna shamelessly plug what I've been reading lately: Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

BgRdMchne posted:

He'll be dead in 10 years.

He actually lived to be 63 and ruled for 47 years. I was pleasantly surprised.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I just lost a 200 year alliance with France because they got a -200 opinion modifier with me for pirating.... now I have to fight Spain/Ottomans/Hungary on my own

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tahirovic posted:

I just lost a 200 year alliance with France because they got a -200 opinion modifier with me for pirating.... now I have to fight Spain/Ottomans/Hungary on my own

serves you right, buy paradox games, they're well worth the cost.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The new spread of explorations is weird. It's 1520ish in my Portugal game and pretty much everything from the South Atlantic east to Indonesia is explored. I never sent a dude past the Cape and as far as I'm aware no other European did either. Is this working as designed?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bold Robot posted:

The new spread of explorations is weird. It's 1520ish in my Portugal game and pretty much everything from the South Atlantic east to Indonesia is explored. I never sent a dude past the Cape and as far as I'm aware no other European did either. Is this working as designed?
I was asking the same thing a few pages ago - As Ethiopia, Greenland spread to me before Tunis did. Then South America spread to me without the Atlantic in-between spreading to me....all while I could still not see Tunis.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Yeah it's super wonky. Also has weird gameplay effects since certain missions are tied to what you've explored or not. I've got a mission to become the dominant trade power in Malacca clogging up my options in 1530.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bold Robot posted:

Yeah it's super wonky. Also has weird gameplay effects since certain missions are tied to what you've explored or not. I've got a mission to become the dominant trade power in Malacca clogging up my options in 1530.

Are you playing as Portugal? Because if so you're actually pretty behind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_of_Malacca_(1511)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I haven't played this game since launch (and I was awful then) but I got the itch again and bought all the expansions up to but not including Cossacks in a steam sale (would've bought it too but it wasn't on sale).

Is there a good LP or wiki or something to refer to to learn how to play this game in its current state? I was in over my head at launch and now it seems like there's even more stuff to do and I have no idea what I'm doing. Is the in-game tutorial enough to teach me how to play or is there an external source that's a good go-to currently?

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
Gonna chime in and agree that this new exploration mechanic is not to my liking. Its just around 1550 and most of the world has been revealed. Also, as a colonizer, I wasn't quick enough to send out my conquistador on a hunt for the 7 cities, and I missed out on exploring 1/2 of both N. and S. America because it was revealed so quickly.

Here's something interesting:

In my current game, I may be in a position to force convert the last protestant elector (bohemia (who lost a lot of land to Silesia and the Palantine)) before the league war event fires (there are still several protestant princes, however). If I do this, will I automatically win the war of religion, or will it just never trigger (because I want that official religion)? Has anyone ever done this?

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

I haven't played this game since launch (and I was awful then) but I got the itch again and bought all the expansions up to but not including Cossacks in a steam sale (would've bought it too but it wasn't on sale).

Is there a good LP or wiki or something to refer to to learn how to play this game in its current state? I was in over my head at launch and now it seems like there's even more stuff to do and I have no idea what I'm doing. Is the in-game tutorial enough to teach me how to play or is there an external source that's a good go-to currently?

I'm sure that everyone has a favorite, but I would recommend watching Arumba's videos on youtube (any of video series he makes after 09 Jun 2015 in your case since that was the last new dlc since cossacks ). After each new DLC release he explains the changes. Also, while he plays, he tends to explain why he is doing what he is doing more often than other streamers out there, which is really helpful.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I think DDRJake just started a new player level stream list, I saw it go by on Facebook. It's a thing Paradox is having him do, rather than a crazy gimmick run.

BigRoman posted:

Here's something interesting:

In my current game, I may be in a position to force convert the last protestant elector (bohemia (who lost a lot of land to Silesia and the Palantine)) before the league war event fires (there are still several protestant princes, however). If I do this, will I automatically win the war of religion, or will it just never trigger (because I want that official religion)? Has anyone ever done this?

The leagues require a Protestant elector before they can fire at all. So if they haven't formed yet, then eventually Catholic will be declared the official faith. If the leagues have formed, then converting said elector won't end it, and it'll play out the normal way I think.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Hey there, Games Thread. The Saturday Multiplayer game has just finished the sixth session of the game, and things are beginning to look very interesting in Asia as the westerners colonize and fight for trade while the Chinese duke it out for the empire. There are a couple healthy places in this new center of the battle, and if you're at all interested in getting your feet wet in a shockingly action-packed multiplayer game, now's your chance!

Last session we saw a couple of massive wars in Europe, and things are heading into a new era of insanity when the Ottomans and Netherlands finally duke it out over Pacific trade!
Come on over to the multiplayer thread and give it a shot.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
You guys released a new version of the gameplay mod you were using right?

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/au7pmtnzri7782w/EG4%20Updated%201-29%20UNZIP%20THIS.zip?dl=0

We're almost done with the Vanilla bookmark, so it'll be on the workshop soon.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
That New World map is.....interesting.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

It looks like US lost a nuclear war.. horribly.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Disco Infiva posted:

It looks like US lost a nuclear war.. horribly.

Planetbuster war, more like. Were the natives replaced with worms, by chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Is there any way we can get some range limits on Automatic Rebel Suppression? Having 4 30k+ stacks running from NW India all the way down to Java to kill 2-3 2k rebel stacks that the other 2 30k+ armies I had stationed in Java could have easily dealt with is annoying. Especially as the rest of India has decided to pop up in rebellion because of over extension.

• Locked thread