Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deftest
May 7, 2011
Courtesy of Flores & Chapin's podcast today:

Target your reality smasher with a 1 mana kill spell, discard Wilt-Leaf liege to its trigger.

:shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

deftest posted:

Target your reality smasher with a 1 mana kill spell, discard Wilt-Leaf liege to its trigger.

Trigger "modern card price spike" effect, make all my Lieges and Loxodon smiter $20 cards

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

deftest posted:

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Trigger "modern card price spike" effect, make all my Lieges and Loxodon smiter $20 cards

Actually I'm an idiot who can't read.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 12, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yes please do this. It's clearly not terrible and you're clearly not still going to lose horribly to the deck because wtf are you doing with your life playing Loxodon Smiter and Wilt-Leaf Liege. This is the answer to Eldrazi.

Does anyone want to buy my Smiters and Wilt-Leaf Liege in a month?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Gyshall posted:

Gonna do some Oath drafts tonight on MODO, haven't even touched the format but I've watched a few streams. Any tips/recommendations?

UW sucks, Cohort makes allies kinda a control deck instead of aggro, GW/GR support seems good, first pick Oblivion Strike and Isolation Zones. Those are my meager findings so far

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Obviously the best play against Reality Smasher is Dismember, paying 4 life and discarding Obstinate Baloth.
Oh, they played Thought-Knot Seer first? ......

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Gyshall posted:

Gonna do some Oath drafts tonight on MODO, haven't even touched the format but I've watched a few streams. Any tips/recommendations?

R/W Allies is surprisingly strong, Zada's Commando is super powerful for a two drop common that even has an upside for picking multiples.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Fiend Computer posted:

R/W Allies is surprisingly strong, Zada's Commando is super powerful for a two drop common that even has an upside for picking multiples.

True and the 3/2 menace goblin is very good

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

Yes please do this. It's clearly not terrible and you're clearly not still going to lose horribly to the deck because wtf are you doing with your life playing Loxodon Smiter and Wilt-Leaf Liege. This is the answer to Eldrazi.

Does anyone want to buy my Smiters and Wilt-Leaf Liege in a month?

FWIW I played an abzan deck with 4 smiter and 2 Liege in Charlotte last month, before Oath came out. The deck was great against twin and I was expecting a few jund decks. 6-3 overall with two losses to tron because Lingering Souls decks lose to Ugin but I beat up on twin, affinity and infect players all day. I've always loved those cards tho so I brewed up a deck that let me use them competitively. A turn 2 Loxodon smiter used to feel like good value before eldrazi hit.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Gyshall posted:

In addition to what everyone else said: UB, WG support, WR allies, WB lifegain are probably the best decks. Green-anything is much better, though you'll be frowning a bit in the 3rd pack typically. WU is quite a bit worse then it was.

Colorless splashing is fine, every dumb eldrazi that looks way too good is. There's a billion common 2/3's for 3 and flyers with big butts so you either have a good aggro deck or end up in some kind of board stall typically.

From BFZ, the blighted lands / spawning bed are much better then they were in triple BFZ and Skyspawner isn't quite the bomb common it used to be.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Played against that abzan eldrazi deck tonight at fnm. Think I might play modern until SOI, oh wait I can't eldrazi broke that too.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

Everyone else is wrong, draft 6 bone saws and some warm bodies and win.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Lawnie posted:

Everyone else is wrong, draft 6 bone saws and some warm bodies and win.*

*1/1 drop

FTFY.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Angry Grimace posted:

Paulo's on record asking for the entirety of 8th and 9th Editions to be banned from Modern (e.g. Blood Moon, Ensnaring Bridge, all of the Tron lands) as well as Lantern (which is straight up a hate-ban since removing 8th Edition would kill Lantern as a deck), Wasteland banned from Legacy and during Theros standard I remember him talking about wanting Pack Rat banned, too. Not to mention Mox Opal, Inkmoth Nexus, Simian Spirit Guide, Gitaxian Probe, Goryo's Vengeance, etc.

From a couple of pages back, but I often wonder if Wizards would could go back and change this if they could. Card design from Mirrodin 1 to today feels much more cohesive compared the Magic sets leading up to it. Then you have cards in 8ED/9ED that feel really out of place or dated compared to the rest of the Modern card pool like the color-specific hosers. But I'm also the guy who wishes Wizards would go back to reprint-only core sets so I guess I don't know what I want :v:

I seem to recall that for 8ED, they actually let people vote for which cards would make it in, does anyone remember those? I'd be curious to see what cards made it in off of votes, especially if any of them see Modern play.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wurzag posted:

Played against that abzan eldrazi deck tonight at fnm. Think I might play modern until SOI, oh wait I can't eldrazi broke that too.

Yeah, poo poo sucks but I guess you could always dra-

holy poo poo :stare: this was their plan all along

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Aaand I get suicide zoo in the PT format.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I like how whenever I put up sets of cards on eBay for completely reasonable prices, I always get some rear end in a top hat who offers like $70 for a playset of Eye of Ugin.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

It is a shame OGW killed what was a fine and not too busted WB Eldrazi deck. Really thinking about selling my Eyes before they are banned. Maybe the aggro version could work without Eyes, but the slower midrange versions really can't.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Snacksmaniac posted:

Aaand I get suicide zoo in the PT format.

And I get the mirror!

deftest
May 7, 2011
I know I can hold left and right click at the same time on MTGO to zoom. Is there a way to accomplish that on a laptop with a trackpad?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Such a weird time ... I want to play some decks, but the Eldrazi menace keeps my from playing anything.

Reminds me of Necro Summer ... I had a sweet White Weenie deck, but damned if you play anything but Necro (I did get some wins with Pump Knights, White Knights and Crusades, tho).

Or Combo Winter ... I had a sweet turbo dog deck that died to the SB Meltdown everyone had (or I just lost to Academy).

Eldrazi Winter?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

En Fuego posted:

Such a weird time ... I want to play some decks, but the Eldrazi menace keeps my from playing anything.

Reminds me of Necro Summer ... I had a sweet White Weenie deck, but damned if you play anything but Necro (I did get some wins with Pump Knights, White Knights and Crusades, tho).

Or Combo Winter ... I had a sweet turbo dog deck that died to the SB Meltdown everyone had (or I just lost to Academy).

Eldrazi Winter?

It's the El Drazi effect

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Wurzag posted:

What deck is this?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

deftest posted:

I know I can hold left and right click at the same time on MTGO to zoom. Is there a way to accomplish that on a laptop with a trackpad?

Hold Z.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

GoutPatrol posted:

It is a shame OGW killed what was a fine and not too busted WB Eldrazi deck. Really thinking about selling my Eyes before they are banned. Maybe the aggro version could work without Eyes, but the slower midrange versions really can't.

It's too bad there isn't a good way to ban to keep that style of deck alive while banning out the real dumb poo poo. It seems like you'd have to ban multiple cards in a way that would come off as hamfisted, like banning Mimic, Seer, and Smasher. Those are the cards that really busted "midrange" Eldrazi. When most of your value was coming from processing, you at least had to set it up for proper value rather than the value just coming stapled to your 4-5 drops with no conditions.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JerryLee posted:

It's too bad there isn't a good way to ban to keep that style of deck alive while banning out the real dumb poo poo. It seems like you'd have to ban multiple cards in a way that would come off as hamfisted, like banning Mimic, Seer, and Smasher. Those are the cards that really busted "midrange" Eldrazi. When most of your value was coming from processing, you at least had to set it up for proper value rather than the value just coming stapled to your 4-5 drops with no conditions.

You do what they did for Pod, print a card that serves a similar function before you ban it outright.

Mind you, CoCo might just be a case of lucky timing, but it lines up pretty well.

Would Eye of Ugin still be stupid if it was 1 cost to all Eldrazi?

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
If they do go ahead and ban Temple and Eye, would that leave any cards in BFZ or OotG that are good for Modern? Would Thought-Knot Seer make the cut in a world of Inquisitions and Thoughtsiezes?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
It's unfortuante that functional errata isn't a thing you can actually do which is what Hearthstone does when a card breaks the game - the card just becomes less good. Like Eye could just suddenly only reduce costs by (1) or Eldrazi Temple could require you to sac the temple to get 2 mana or something.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Alris posted:

If they do go ahead and ban Temple and Eye, would that leave any cards in BFZ or OotG that are good for Modern? Would Thought-Knot Seer make the cut in a world of Inquisitions and Thoughtsiezes?

Thought-Knot's definitely debatable once you lose the boost, but I think it'd still have a home in Tron.

The instant speed Clasm has a home, as does Warping Wail. Also World Breaker is Karns 5-8 in Tron.

Basically Tron's furiously beating it's tower to BFZ/OotG

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Thought-Knot's definitely debatable once you lose the boost, but I think it'd still have a home in Tron.

The instant speed Clasm has a home, as does Warping Wail. Also World Breaker is Karns 5-8 in Tron.

Basically Tron's furiously beating it's tower to BFZ/OotG

Kozilek's Return and Thought-Knot Seer fit poorly into Tron's curve (Pyroclasm hitting for one mana less is so, so important at bridging the gap between the early game and landing a haymaker and Thought-Knot Seer is a lot less impressive when it essentially costs 7, because you're only really in a position to pay for it but not a finisher when your lands got crushed by sideboard tech at which point the Thought-Knot Seer is too late) and 4 world breaker is too many (karn's the better card for being able to hit creatures and general 'being a planeswalker' resilience) but still playable

jury's still out on how many warping wails to run, need a lot more events to get a good idea

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Alris posted:

If you want to play a bunch of Pain or Filter lands Matter Reshaper is probably pretty good. At the least it draws a card when it dies and sometimes it just dumps a land/dude onto the field.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Alris posted:

Gideon, Ally of Zendikar will if there's a shell that needs his rude butt. Natural State is a great card. And of course Bofas, manlands.

That's off the top of my head.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

BFZ has Ulamog (Tron), Bring to Light (Scapeshift), Crumble to Dust and Shambling Vent. Cinder Glade seems to have kicked off a weird GR Valakut archetype and is a one-of in Scapeshift, I'm not sure if anything's playing the other duals.

In addition to previous suggestions I'd add Sea Gate Wreckage (affinity) and Kalitas (Jund) for OGW.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think Thought-knot is a powerful enough card to see play in a more normal deck.

Also I'd bet the BGx decks are going to play some of the BG manland, even though it's pretty weak as manlands go.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I still think Reality Smasher is crazy at five mana, but similar to the point about Thought-Knot I don't know what deck has access to 4C that isn't Tron. Plus the whole "costs more than 4 mana" knock but it's bigger than most other Modern-playable creatures and costs an extra card if you use removal on it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

UberJew posted:

Kozilek's Return and Thought-Knot Seer fit poorly into Tron's curve (Pyroclasm hitting for one mana less is so, so important at bridging the gap between the early game and landing a haymaker and Thought-Knot Seer is a lot less impressive when it essentially costs 7, because you're only really in a position to pay for it but not a finisher when your lands got crushed by sideboard tech at which point the Thought-Knot Seer is too late) and 4 world breaker is too many (karn's the better card for being able to hit creatures and general 'being a planeswalker' resilience) but still playable

jury's still out on how many warping wails to run, need a lot more events to get a good idea

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=11459&d=265098&f=MO

It's early and all but

E: I think in the long run Nissa will start showing up in some BGx decks, particularly Jund

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Yeah the man-lands will probably all find places to hang around eventually.

The Bofa-lands will be used as budget duals for all eternity and will probably only get played in 2 color decks (and Scapeshift because 2 of them say "Mountain") at high levels and even then it'll be rare.

Gideon :h:'s Tokens and Tokens :h:'s Gideon.

Ulamog will never not be hungry for your stuff coming out of a Tron deck.

Crumble is going to hang around in sideboards forever (unless they print a cheaper version or something).

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=11459&d=265098&f=MO

It's early and all but

E: I think in the long run Nissa will start showing up in some BGx decks, particularly Jund

I mean the semi-finalist tron deck in that same top 8 had a second ulamog and clasm instead of tks and return

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
5 mana is a lot in Modern, Thragtusk dominated Standard for the entire time it was legal and it sees very little Modern play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

UberJew posted:

I mean the semi-finalist tron deck in that same top 8 had a second ulamog and clasm instead of tks and return

Along with 3 Karplusan Forest for reasons

• Locked thread