Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

When you have a show like @midnight full of legit comedy people, I just presume that the prewritten stuff is used as a base and a lot of the interactions and other gags are all improv. You just can't go into that kind of show cold, or you're going to have people umming and arrring instead of being funny.

I've probably brought this up before, but it's not going to be well known outside the UK (or, let's face it, within the UK either). Rob Brydon did a show a bunch of years ago that was Larry Sanders-esque in that it did the show within a show format. In it, the fictional Rob Brydon was to host another crappy derivative panel show, but they never told the audience who were there for the shooting of the quiz show itself that it was staged. Although due to the way panel shows work, is it really any more staged than real ones? It's actually a super good and funny show, here's the first episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrvT2FRgY3k

Also watched those new shows yesterday... Sam Bee's Full Frontal show was fun, the audience laughter grated a bit for some reason but she's got the chops to pull it off on her own. Will be interesting to see how it develops, as it needs to find it's own personality outside of stuff that Daily Show etc will be covering. Nikki Glaser's was really funny, had a unique feel and all the segments felt fresh and interesting. I enjoyed both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
pretty much all British panel shows have pre-written parts. even QI probably although I haven't seen it enough recently to remember if there's space for them

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Please stop trying to ruin the Magic of Television for me.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

xcore posted:

What are peoples thoughts on The Man in the High Castle? I was recommended both of these shows by a mate and wondering if I'm gonna watch two winners in a row.

Some neat ideas but it was dreadfully dull.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Anyway, Mad Dogs is pretty legit, and I'm surprised there's not more discussion about it. It's a lot better than the original one at least, which - as the creator admits - burned through plot in the first series because he didn't think it was ever going to go longer than that.

It seemed cool but I got halfway through the first episode and hated all of the characters so I stopped. I guess it gets going faster though?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Escobarbarian posted:

pretty much all British panel shows have pre-written parts. even QI probably although I haven't seen it enough recently to remember if there's space for them

The writers for QI actually have their own podcast, apparently it's pretty good if you're into that.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

xcore posted:

What are peoples thoughts on The Man in the High Castle? I was recommended both of these shows by a mate and wondering if I'm gonna watch two winners in a row.

Fantastic world building and aesthetic design. Plot is iffy due to the fact that the characters are split; the young characters have meandering and stupid plot lines; the older characters are all really interesting. Worth checking out for sure but there are some legitimate problems to be aware of.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So I've been watching Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and I just finished episode 3. I like it a lot! The Four Joshes song was awesome.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Escobarbarian posted:

So I've been watching Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and I just finished episode 3. I like it a lot! The Four Joshes song was awesome.
You keep watching now, y'hear?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Sleeveless posted:

The writers for QI actually have their own podcast, apparently it's pretty good if you're into that.

Aren't those researchers though and not joke authors?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

From watching @Midnight, I would guess they're told the rapid-fire game themes in advance but stuff like the videos and articles they need to react to seem on the spot.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I've always wondered about that too. @Midnight definitely cuts out jokes as you can see the scores change wildly between cuts sometimes. I assume because some jokes are too dirty to air and whatnot, but if they prewrite most of their material wouldn't those jokes get nixed prior to taping?

It's obviously not entirely improv, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out there's a bit of both going on.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

I've always wondered about that too. @Midnight definitely cuts out jokes as you can see the scores change wildly between cuts sometimes. I assume because some jokes are too dirty to air and whatnot, but if they prewrite most of their material wouldn't those jokes get nixed prior to taping?

It's obviously not entirely improv, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out there's a bit of both going on.
I think it's pretty obvious that jokes are cut for being too poo poo, not too dirty.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

wayfinder posted:

Aren't those researchers though and not joke authors?

Yeah, the "elves" write the questions, not the dialogue.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Josh Lyman posted:

I think it's pretty obvious that jokes are cut for being too poo poo, not too dirty.

Lol that does make more sense. :negative:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

xcore posted:

I posted about this a couple of days ago. I'm really digging it. I'm halfway through Episode 9 at the moment.

I lost interest a few episodes in. Nothing too egregious, just was too busy with other stuff/tv to get back into it.

EDIT: About @midnight (which I still haven't seen, too many episodes/lack of interest I guess), on a comedy podcast I subscribe too, apparently some jokes do get cut out for being too dirty. And at least some of the stuff is improved (the offending material being about a co-guest's humping habits).

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 12, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's the deal with the opening sequence for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend? For a funny, clever show with good music, the titles sure aren't any of those things. I mean, they're truly awful.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Escobarbarian posted:

What's the deal with the opening sequence for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend? For a funny, clever show with good music, the titles sure aren't any of those things. I mean, they're truly awful.
I think the intro is a little more nuanced than that.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

If you watch the Thursday episodes on cc.com they're 'uncut' (there's still cuts, but the episodes run 25-30 mins) and the extra stuff is a pretty even mix of dirty, unfunny and weird tangents that are funny but too long for tv.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't know what the actual tagline to Lucifer is, but I've decided it should be "The number of the Beast... is 9-1-1."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You put on a pair of sunglasses while typing that, didn't you?

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

DivisionPost posted:

YOU'RE an unqualified manner, Sex House is amazing.
Welp, this post convinced me to watch the rest, and it did get a little better after the first three episodes. Thank you, because without you I wouldn't have learned that cloudy drink kills frog.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Agreed. Even though I think the show is uneven at best, I think Rachel Bloom is a treasure, and I usually love the songs in the show. But that opening sequence is embarrassing to watch and listen to, and I couldn't blame anyone who sits through it and loses any interest in sticking around to watch the episode. My wife and I comment every time about how cringe-worthy it is, and why they settled on THAT.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
You're both so broken inside

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

You put on a pair of sunglasses while typing that, didn't you?

YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So Sleepy Hollow is all but cancelled right? Moving a show to Friday nights is usually a burn off move.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What the hell, the latest X-Files episode was so loving boring. How is this even the same show as the Kumail Nanjiani episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

pentyne posted:

So Sleepy Hollow is all but cancelled right? Moving a show to Friday nights is usually a burn off move.

It doesn't help that this entire season has been garbage. The Abbie and Ichabod interaction is still fine, it's just everything around them now sucks.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It has to be canceled with the way they're burning off episodes.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Crossing over with BONES is a death knell

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One good thing about tonight's episode was that Abbie was stuck in some weird magic dimension where time passed faster and they got rid of her straightened hair and she looked so much better.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

GreenNight posted:

It has to be canceled with the way they're burning off episodes.

they're...not being burned off :confused:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

muscles like this? posted:

It doesn't help that this entire season has been garbage. The Abbie and Ichabod interaction is still fine, it's just everything around them now sucks.
I think I like this season more than the previous one if only because it actually is more episodic and I don't get the impression the show hasn't bitten off more than it could chew.

Unfortunately I think the show made itself famous for being batshit insane and fun, went full batshit insane and inane and now is relatively normal for all intents and purposes. Any other day of the week it's a pretty standard action-adventure/Supernautral-like with a fairly notably majority non-white cast, and its own set of charms and positives. I just think unfortunately a lot of people fell off after they realized they couldn't keep whatever magic S1 had forever.

Like S2 hit some really low lows, S3 is like middling if you want to use an insulting term but I think it's fairly competent television; nothing to really write home about unless you like Abbie/Crane, the mythology, the format, or something else in particular. Which is sad because it no longer stands out in the crowd like it used to. And in the age of "peak TV" that's kind of a problem when it normally wouldn't be.

Last I checked the show now is helmed by a fairly competent showrunner but the creator I think left a while ago. Not talking about the previous showrunner though, but the creator of the show never really was that involved anyway beyond the pilot and maybe helping to write a few of the episodes. In that sense Sleepy Hollow really never seemed to have much of a clear vision where it might go because the showrunner position has seemingly been up for grabs and just goes wherever the showrunner/network wants to take it. So honestly I'm not surprised the show fell on it's face so soon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

At least season 2 felt like it was a continuation of season 1, 3 feels like some unrelated show the main characters have kind of wandered into. Ditching the biblical stuff in favor of some generic "ancient god" thing.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

blue squares posted:

It seemed cool but I got halfway through the first episode and hated all of the characters so I stopped. I guess it gets going faster though?

Literally by the end of the first episode.

And I think it does a decent job with the characters, and sells the fact that these people shouldn't really be friends. If they ever really were.

In other news, it's sad to see that 11.22.63 nixes a lot of the 'Jake becomes a teacher in the 60s' stuff, because all of that leads to one of the more emotional endings that King has ever written. For me it was largely the conspiracy stuff that didn't quite work, so of course it looks like the show doubles down on that.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

In other news, it's sad to see that 11.22.63 nixes a lot of the 'Jake becomes a teacher in the 60s' stuff, because all of that leads to one of the more emotional endings that King has ever written. For me it was largely the conspiracy stuff that didn't quite work, so of course it looks like the show doubles down on that.

Huge bummer

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What happened to Sleepy Hollow is what seems to happen to every serialized drama these days- a really tight season one, season two is longer and drags a bit and tries some stuff that doesn't work, everyone says it's gone up its own rear end and is terrible now, season three is an aggressive return to the status quo so it's decently made but not that interesting, cancellation follows.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I liked the donut tax scene.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Maxwell Lord posted:

What happened to Sleepy Hollow is what seems to happen to every serialized drama these days- a really tight season one, season two is longer and drags a bit and tries some stuff that doesn't work, everyone says it's gone up its own rear end and is terrible now, season three is an aggressive return to the status quo so it's decently made but not that interesting, cancellation follows.

Does Elementary still exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

boom boom boom posted:

Does Elementary still exist?

I don't think you're allowed to be within 500 feet of that, buddy

• Locked thread