Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

Poking around on the Audi site, trying to build an R8 with a MT seems to be a no-go. Only the 7speed available. And holy hell I never realized how expensive the R8 is.

I was originally looking at the spyder and not the hard top. Ironically enough the spyder with both the v8 and v10 come with a manual and Quattro. But not the hard top. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
Sorry for the cell phone picture. There's now a fish in my parking spot.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

drat that looks nice. Black cars really are the best.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

PenisMonkey posted:

I got a Donald Trump Wig and an external mic for my GoPro, wired my M3 for sound and then drove through some tunnels down some roads/on ramps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15XUGqMsGNg

I got a Donald Trump Wig and an external mic for my GoPro, wired my M3 wife's GLE63 for sound and then drove down some roads/on ramps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHVxxOwi3j4

I don't like the transmission at all. I was using the paddles and holy poo poo it shifts so slowly. I can do a proper manual faster than that thing. Her seats are really drat comfortable... they even massage. I like my steering wheel better. I could feel the extra ton of weight (who wouldn't?) and it does feel like a tank. They don't have the option for a HUD but I don't mind that so much as there is a digital readout on the console.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

PenisMonkey posted:

I got a Donald Trump Wig and an external mic for my GoPro, wired my M3 wife's GLE63 for sound and then drove down some roads/on ramps.

I don't like the transmission at all. I was using the paddles and holy poo poo it shifts so slowly. I can do a proper manual faster than that thing. Her seats are really drat comfortable... they even massage. I like my steering wheel better. I could feel the extra ton of weight (who wouldn't?) and it does feel like a tank. They don't have the option for a HUD but I don't mind that so much as there is a digital readout on the console.

Are those exhaust "poots" afterfires? Hot drat sounds nasty.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

willroc7 posted:

Those are the war shouts of the German upper class to warn the proletariats they are about to get run over.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Hell yea.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How heavy is that thing? The Camry at the two minute mark seems to be putting the hurt on you big time (mostly because he loves tailgating but you know whatever).

Sure sounds good with that mic. How much of that makes it into the cabin?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
According to Mercedes the curb weight is 5,180 pounds. Add my 200 pound fat rear end in there for 5,380. Of course Car and Driver said theirs was 5,400. Who knows. All I know is it weighs a lot more than the M3.

E: I should clarify that I never went WOT with it. It's not my car and I didn't tell the wife I was going to take it out to grab some exhaust notes. I just told her I was running to the store (which I was) and she was cool with that. What she doesn't know won't hurt her.

PenisMonkey fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 12, 2016

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

willroc7 posted:

I still wonder if those have any actual purpose. Or are programmed in just to make people "OMGMUCHSPORT"

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

PenisMonkey posted:

E: I should clarify that I never went WOT with it. It's not my car and I didn't tell the wife I was going to take it out to grab some exhaust notes. I just told her I was running to the store (which I was) and she was cool with that. What she doesn't know won't hurt her.
drat do you wear your skirt to the store too? :cmon:

Ziploc posted:

I still wonder if those have any actual purpose. Or are programmed in just to make people "OMGMUCHSPORT"
I think this is it. The focus RS has them as well.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

willroc7 posted:

drat do you wear your skirt to the store too? :cmon:

It's Friday. The wife is working tonight. I have the next 12 days off. I will go out in my car tonight and get some wind up my skirt.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The last two pages of this thread have been great. Nice car choices, the lot of you.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PenisMonkey posted:

On cold start it sounds like a diesel a bit, but then gets way better. Anyway, where did you put the microphone? I tried recording for the first time recently and the camera picks up absolutely no engine or exhaust noise from inside or outside + case so I definitely need to hook up an external one.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I asked Ether Frenzy how he did it and this was his reply:

quote:

The mic cable length is pretty generous - I ended up just running it straight back through the fold-down rear seats/out the trunk seal (there's a on/off switch for the mic that sits in the trunk with this configuration, don't do what I did and forget to turn it on during your first run!) - and then I put down a layer of blue painter's tape first to provide a little protection to the bumper paint, and taped the wig/mic just under the license plate on the little shelf of the rear bumper.

I tried just taping down the 'base' of the wig (where the mic goes into it) at first but ended up getting wind/flapping noises, so I found it worked best once I sort of framed the wig in with tape, but made sure the mic bud/center of the wig was not taped over.

That works like a charm on the M3 but the GLE doesn't have a lip to place the mic on. I ended up just taping it to the bumper. Used a bit more tape than normal since the mic was vertical instead of horizontal but it was fine. I checked on it at the store and nothing had moved and when I got home everything was still in place.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ziploc posted:

After firing happens on just about any engine with a reasonably open exhaust (a short exhaust system, like on a sports car or motorcycle helps, too.) When you slam the throttle closed with the engine still at high RPM, the mixture leans way out, to the point where cylinders don't light at all. The unburnt fuel makes it into the exhaust system, and is ignited by either hot exhaust parts, or traces of successful combustion from other cylinders, which causes the noise.

My '06 LS2 GTO did it with the factory exhaust when it was cold enough outside. My Z06 does it all the time, too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

When you slam the throttle closed with the engine still at high RPM, the mixture leans way out, to the point where cylinders don't light at all.

Wouldn't it actually rich way up because there's less air than expected coming into the cylinder (since the throttle is closed) to mix with what's left of the mixture already present?

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
The popping is from DFCO or Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off for engine braking, I guess.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

SlimManFat posted:

Man you have a sweet ride. Is the car in the garage yours too?
Yeah, my 84 Supra. It lives in the storage unit most of the time.

SaNChEzZ posted:

ohi mkii supra buddy. Nice banana you got there too, wheels look great.
Thanks! What year is yours? I have way too many Toyotas. 79 Celica, 84 Celica Supra, 85 MR2, 88 MR2 S/C, and I'm getting a Lexus SC400 next week for 24 Hours of Lemons.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Wouldn't it actually rich way up because there's less air than expected coming into the cylinder (since the throttle is closed) to mix with what's left of the mixture already present?

With fuel injected cars, you're simultaneously turning off almost all (or in some cars, literally all of,) the fuel, while you still have a relatively high manifold vacuum, which means an abnormally high mass of air is going to flow at high velocity through the idle air channels. Additionally, since manifold pressure (both static, and the actual chamber pressure once the intake valve closes,) is decreasing, the fuel burns slower, resulting in more of it getting out through the exhaust valve. On top of all that, most ignition systems are going to reduce spark advance at low throttle position and low manifold pressure, resulting in even more of the intake charge making it out the exhaust valve.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

With fuel injected cars, you're simultaneously turning off almost all (or in some cars, literally all of,) the fuel, while you still have a relatively high manifold vacuum, which means an abnormally high mass of air is going to flow at high velocity through the idle air channels. Additionally, since manifold pressure (both static, and the actual chamber pressure once the intake valve closes,) is decreasing, the fuel burns slower, resulting in more of it getting out through the exhaust valve. On top of all that, most ignition systems are going to reduce spark advance at low throttle position and low manifold pressure, resulting in even more of the intake charge making it out the exhaust valve.

Oh yeah, the car still poops.

I like you. You're smart.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I'm 99% sure they are tuned specifically to pop like that. There were some minis that were tuned for it, a few people complained so they removed it in a software update and a lot of people wanted it back. My e46 M3 hardly pops at all on deceleration unless you brush the gas a little. On the other hand, my GFs mustang crackles an pops like a mother fucker as long as you get above like 4K rpm. And it's just the 3.7.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

MasonF posted:

Thanks! What year is yours? I have way too many Toyotas. 79 Celica, 84 Celica Supra, 85 MR2, 88 MR2 S/C, and I'm getting a Lexus SC400 next week for 24 Hours of Lemons.

Sweet! Mine is an 83, looking for 83 fenders with flares or an 84 p-type whole front end (cosmetics) if you know a source!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

An SC400 for LeMons.

I don't know quite how to say this but you guys... you get me. You really do.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

fyodor posted:

An SC400 for LeMons.

Didn't Phone drive one also?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ziploc posted:

I have had some OEM engineers tell me that there is an emissions benefit—because you get combustion happening in the exhaust on the way to the catalyst, apparently it burns off some of the nitrogen oxides. I've had other OEM engineers say that's bollocks and they just do it because it sounds cool and their customers like it.

YMMV.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

fyodor posted:

An SC400 for LeMons.

There was an SC300 or SC400 that used to race in Chumpcar's central region a few years ago.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
I hear a lot of 'popping' coming from LS3 Commedore utes. Pops and ultra lumpy and loping cams. I like it but I don't think I could live with it.

I don't get the pops except for the occasional backfire after engine braking but I do get ~woof/fart~ during hard changes. You can kinda hear it in this video below but the audio is kinda poo poo on the gopro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz09fHdJ5bM

I finally got a shift kit into the skyline and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. It chirps through first at slow speeds and is much more responsive. I didn't notice how much it short shifts in drive now.

MasonF posted:

Yeah, my 84 Supra.

gently caress yea! Just the right level of warped boxy plastic, broken indicators and dust to remind you of the power and the glory of the rallies past.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Due to an appreciation for hooliganism which amounts to a tune, cats that have failed their purpose, and a catback, the V snap crackles and pops all the time now. Listen around :14-15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBfxIwfxakI

I try to keep my foot out of it when coming into neighborhoods.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I wish I needed new tires :(

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

fyodor posted:

An SC400 for LeMons.

Getting it from a friend for $200. It has years of registration back fees, and it is not in good condition at all.
It is a piece of poo poo.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
Now that it's the weekend and not as gloomy, here's a better shot.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

MasonF posted:

I have way too many Toyotas.
There's no such thing

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MasonF posted:

You, sir, own my dream garage. That Supra :swoon:

I miss my 85 MR2 every day. :smith:

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I planned to buy a cheap van to use as a shed for under £1000, maybe use as a runabout sometimes too. I ended up spending £2200 :homebrew:

It's Van-entines day!

2008 Vauxhall Vivaro, 155k miles, ex AA roadside assistance. 2.0 turbo diesel, 115hp I think.

It's had a recent clutch/flywheel/gearbox bearings and the engine runs nice and tight. Lots of other recent work done but I need to search down a low speed rattle from the front. Runs nice and smooth at 80, though. I'm hoping for about 38 mpg commuting. Ran well on the 400 miles home.

The seats are in good nick, the dash and doors are manky but is all plastic so will clean up well. It's got a few little niggles that need fixed but it seems like a good van, and I reckon I got it below market value.

Will probably have to sell the e46 320d to let my finances recover, then when they do I'll be looking for something fun to live alongside the van.

It'll be getting deadlocks (I'll be using it for storage), possibly a temporary bed in the back (more of a tin tent than campervan). At the back it has a towbar & wiring, and a one piece tailgate with glass. The glass has been ply lined so that will be ripped out and replaced with a security mesh.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

That's a neat van, especially for the money. We have absolutely nothing like that in this market, especially not at that price point. Pickup trucks largely fill that sort of niche here, but the vast majority aren't diesel or manual.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Yeah I'm pretty chuffed with it. Petrols and automatics are pretty rare in the van market here, this has a six speed manual, which admittedly is a main failure point in these vans, but luckily this on has just been rebuilt. This size of van in pretty much the staple of uk tradesmen, and as such finding an unfucked cheap one is hard, but around the £2-3000 level things improve.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I am seriously jealous of that. (I have a thing for vans).

Looks like a great buy, too. I never considered an Ex-AA van- at least the driver is going to be mechanically minded.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

You, sir, own my dream garage. That Supra :swoon:

I miss my 85 MR2 every day. :smith:
Get another one! They're pretty inexpensive for one that's been abused. Put a V6 in it and it is a rocket ship. I'm planning on pulling the 4A-GZE (1.6 supercharged) and putting in a 2GR-FE (3.5 V6)
The power to weight ratio is insane.

stump posted:

I planned to buy a cheap van to use as a shed for under £1000, maybe use as a runabout sometimes too. I ended up spending £2200 :homebrew:

It's Van-entines day!

2008 Vauxhall Vivaro, 155k miles, ex AA roadside assistance. 2.0 turbo diesel, 115hp I think.

It's had a recent clutch/flywheel/gearbox bearings and the engine runs nice and tight. Lots of other recent work done but I need to search down a low speed rattle from the front. Runs nice and smooth at 80, though. I'm hoping for about 38 mpg commuting. Ran well on the 400 miles home.

The seats are in good nick, the dash and doors are manky but is all plastic so will clean up well. It's got a few little niggles that need fixed but it seems like a good van, and I reckon I got it below market value.

Will probably have to sell the e46 320d to let my finances recover, then when they do I'll be looking for something fun to live alongside the van.

It'll be getting deadlocks (I'll be using it for storage), possibly a temporary bed in the back (more of a tin tent than campervan). At the back it has a towbar & wiring, and a one piece tailgate with glass. The glass has been ply lined so that will be ripped out and replaced with a security mesh.
This thing is rad as gently caress. Now I want to get rid of my pickup truck parts hauler and get a van!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

stump posted:

It's Van-entines day!

How does that measure up to a Ford Transit, similar dimensions?