Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Are there any books that slowly shift genre partway through? Something like the film Angel Heart or From Dusk Til Dawn. Notably, this has to surprise the reader, not just the protagonist. A book where it's a detective stumbling onto Cthulu only works in this example if the reader is just as surprised by the supernatural element as the detective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
If we recommend a book on those criteria, you won't be surprised at the twist, therefore it won't meet your criteria. Paradox, deflected!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Are there any books that slowly shift genre partway through? Something like the film Angel Heart or From Dusk Til Dawn. Notably, this has to surprise the reader, not just the protagonist. A book where it's a detective stumbling onto Cthulu only works in this example if the reader is just as surprised by the supernatural element as the detective.

A Visit from the Goon Squad
it becomes a powerpoint show

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Alastair Grey's Lanark starts off as a fantasy/sci fi thing but then the middle part of the book is about a depressed neurotic virgin artist in post ww2 Scotland with no fantastic elements at all, and that's the best bit by far.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

blue squares posted:

NOT girl on the train.
If you're feeling adventurous, try Inherent Vice. It's a hell of a mystery. It's also very different from Pynchon's other stuff. A lot less confusing

Ha, my wife said Girl on a train was terrible. IDK about Pynchon. I read The crying of lot 49 and it was just did not do it for me.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

spandexcajun posted:

Ha, my wife said Girl on a train was terrible. IDK about Pynchon. I read The crying of lot 49 and it was just did not do it for me.

Inherent Vice is nothing like other Pynchon. It's a wacky 1960s private detective story

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Time Cowboy posted:

If we recommend a book on those criteria, you won't be surprised at the twist, therefore it won't meet your criteria. Paradox, deflected!

I'll add any books the random spots within the absurdly large to-read pile to avoid such paradoxes.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Club Dumas by Arturo Pérez-Reverte? Angel Heart is based on a book too, if you haven't read that.

Funnily enough both of these could probably work on the request for page-turners too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

Inherent Vice is nothing like other Pynchon. It's a wacky 1960s private detective story

I thought about recommending this but wasn't sure if it was a "thriller".

Whatever. It's one of my favorite books by far. Dive in.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

spandexcajun posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a mystery suspense page turner? I want a stay up late reading even thought I have to go to work in the morning, cheese is ok, sort of story. Maybe like Gone Girl or something.

Shutter Island.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Definitely give Inherent Vice a try. I loved it, probably one of Pynchon's most accessible works. It's a lot of fun. The upside is it's fairly short, and once finished you can watch the movie. The movie may not be the best ever but there are some certainly memorable hilarious parts in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7g0thJe_qY

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The movie's a great adaptation and does a remarkable job of capturing the, uh, Pynchon-ness of the book. IV was my gateway book to Pynchon as well, highly recommend it.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I've gone pretty much my whole adult life imagining Pynchon to look and sound like J. K. Simmons.

I hear he makes an appearance in the movie somewhere in the background eating soup or something.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Blind Rasputin posted:

I've gone pretty much my whole adult life imagining Pynchon to look and sound like J. K. Simmons.

I hear he makes an appearance in the movie somewhere in the background eating soup or something.

I think that's been proven to be another Pynchon gag, like his "meeting" the band Lotion.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
What's some good cyberpunk? I've read the Sprawl trilogy, but playing Shadowrun: Hong Kong and Android: Netrunner has me hungry for some megacorps. I know Snow Crash is supposed to be good, is there anything else out there I should check out? It doesn't have to be classic or anything, just a fun read.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

What's some good cyberpunk? I've read the Sprawl trilogy, but playing Shadowrun: Hong Kong and Android: Netrunner has me hungry for some megacorps. I know Snow Crash is supposed to be good, is there anything else out there I should check out? It doesn't have to be classic or anything, just a fun read.

Recommended before, but I'll recommend it again: George Alec Effinger's Marid Audrian books. When Gravity Fails is the first one.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

A definite cyberpunk favorite of mine was Richard K. Morgan's Altered Carbon series. It's loving good.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Blind Rasputin posted:

A definite cyberpunk favorite of mine was Richard K. Morgan's Altered Carbon series. It's loving good.

Really good.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

You might enjoy The Diamond Age. I really liked it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

Gibson's short story collection Burning Chrome if you haven't.

The Mirrorshades anthology.

Definitely grab Schismatrix Plus by Bruce Sterling.

Edit: oh Gibson's Bridge trilogy too!

breaks
May 12, 2001

The Lord of Hats posted:

For something a bit further afield, Red Spider White Web is really good. It puts a lot more emphasis on the punk. As far as I know, it was the author's first and only published book, so as you might expect it's a bit more roughly hewn some of the other recommendations, but that kind of ends up adding to it really. Anyway, I enjoyed it and recommend it.

Since you did say fun specifically, I should probably also more explicitly say that while it's good it's not a "fun" cyberpunk book the way something like Snow Crash is, it's dark and gritty as gently caress.

Unfortunately it's long out of print and I don't think it's available from any legitimate digital source. If you watch eBay it pops up every now and then for about $10, but listings for it on Amazon right now are ridiculously priced.

breaks fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 4, 2016

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

I liked W.T. Quick's Dreams of Flesh and Sand and Dreams of Gods and Men but not sure how easy they are to get ahold of these days

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Mindplayers, by Pat Cadigan - she's a great author and a common theme in her books is the interaction between humans and technology. This is her first book, and it's really enjoyable.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Looking for some non-fiction about pagan/pre-christian religious practices in Britain. A broad subject-area I know, but any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Rubber Biscuit posted:

Looking for some non-fiction about pagan/pre-christian religious practices in Britain. A broad subject-area I know, but any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

This one sounds like a pretty good survey text although i haven't read it personally: http://www.amazon.com/Pagan-Religions-Ancient-British-Isles/dp/0631189467

e: this one too maybe http://www.amazon.com/Myths-Symbols-Pagan-Europe-Scandinavian/dp/0815624417

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Rubber Biscuit posted:

I was also recently looking into this subject, will check those recommendations out cheers

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Joe McCarthy is a giant rear end, whats the best book on his bullshit witchhunting?
Yes I know Walt Disney turned in friends.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

The Lord of Hats posted:

You might check out the Samuil Petrovitch trilogy by Simon Morden--starts with "Equations of Life." They're pretty fun.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a book version of the X Files? Kinda like aliens and conspiracys and such but making a narrative out of it?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

Is there a book version of the X Files? Kinda like aliens and conspiracys and such but making a narrative out of it?

Animorphs is pretty cool

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Vineland.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Infinite Jest.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Abu Dave posted:

Illuminatus trilogy

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am half-way through reading Vineland, and while there are government agents and conspiracies, I would not consider it similar to X-Files.

I would recommend it in general, though.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Illuminatus trilogy

This one actually seems to fit the request and looks great, too

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Abu Dave posted:

"The Invisibles" by Grant Morrison.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

blue squares posted:

This one actually seems to fit the request and looks great, too

I don't know if it's like the xfiles, but it is, in fact, pretty great.

edit: Actually, maybe it is like the xfiles, but not only is Mulder right about everything, if anything he doesn't scratch the surface of what's really going on.
:tinfoil:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 12, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you guys, going to make a plane trip more bearable :3:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Abu Dave posted:

Foucault's Pendulum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

A human heart posted:

Foucault's Pendulum
Seriously. No (possibly) aliens but the conspiracy to end all conspiracies. Amazing book.