Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Confirming color "OX BLOOD" for 50 assists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Oh Snapple! posted:

completely hosing you if the few people on your team who can realistically interfere don't even bother.
This is pretty much every team based online game with game modes more complex than just kill everyone, and public queues, with or without voice Comms, and not just a MWO thing.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

lol at removing the actual, important context about why it works for poo poo in MWO

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Oh Snapple! posted:

lol at removing the actual, important context about why it works for poo poo in MWO

oh I dunno, lots of 'mechs are fast enough to respond in time. every light, most mediums, maybe about half the heavies -- at very least every clan heavy

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

That Gobbo posted:

What mech has the most flamer hardpoints?

Nova. Just... nova.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The game modes outside of skirmish do all seem like weird after thoughts and don't really work. It's like a first implementation of something you'd find in an alpha.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
one thing that I don't think anyone has mentioned is that they have four new maps (1v1, 2v2, and two 4v4) with bare-bones art assets available for private test matches only.

Sounds like a preview of a potential Solaris mode?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
And all it takes is one friendly robot to be in your cap area to block the cap - then either the cappers attempt kill the blocker after he's bought his team some time or the cappers run off knowing reinforcements are inbound. Or if you're rofflestomping and leading 9-0 you can't be too far from their cap, with more bodies to cap at a faster rate.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

Why would anyone

While I agree with everyone else that it's silly to complain about losing Assault to a cap, this is an excellent point that can't be overlooked.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Seriously, if you have 12 mechs to their 3 and you lose because of victory conditions, it's because you hosed up. Get some tactical awareness, son.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

oh I dunno, lots of 'mechs are fast enough to respond in time. every light, most mediums, maybe about half the heavies -- at very least every clan heavy

This depends entirely on a) the map and b) your team's position on the map when the cap is initiated.

I feel like I'm through the looking glass here in watching folks defend a tacked-on-objective that pays no heed to the actual mechanics of the game.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
I do think Assault could be improved to be a much more fun version of the thing it's supposed to do, at least. But I tend to like it over Skirmish, at least it gives the teams something to focus on a little.

Conquest is pretty bad though. It's just too many points and tends to lead to stomps where one team scatters to the four winds and gets cut down piecemeal. I would like to see it as 1 or 2 main cap zones that award points and another 1 or 2 auxiliary caps that give some kind of bonus (could be, e.g., a couple of turrets that activate for your team near one of the main caps). That way you still have a few areas to fight over and some strategic (not just tactical) benefit to mobility, but less likelihood of the match turning into a clusterfuck.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Reminder that they are actually changing assault for the better (getting hit pauses cap, bases being actual bases sometime later), which is why I posted that I can't wait for its current form to eat a bullet to begin with

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
they could add turrets or something, to prevent some stupid situations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

They used to have turrets. Not sure what happened there.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I feel like I'm in bizzaro land where people are actually saying they prefer skirmish to the other two modes.

It's coming from inside the thread

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Their hopeful direction (it sounds neat and I like it):

quote:

By April, complete revamp of Assault game mode. A base per side but a legit base. May utilize CW objects to destroy, etc. Maybe UAV-like tower, ECM bubble, capzone inside, new art assets, turrets, o-gen type events outside the base for defenders to protect that could disable some of the base powerups, etc. Wants to see this become the defacto game-mode for QuickPlay with the other modes becoming lesser-used alternates to this. April at the earliest, possibly May.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

Reminder that they are actually changing assault for the better (getting hit pauses cap, bases being actual bases sometime later), which is why I posted that I can't wait for its current form to eat a bullet to begin with

I'm also cautiously optimistic about that stuff. I hope they don't go too overboard with the bases but it sounds like a pretty good kind of thing to try.

One of my main concerns about adding objectives that need to be destroyed is the effect that has on the energy-vs.-ammo weapon balance. It feels like ammo-based weapons already have enough downsides compared to lasers, I don't really want to have to spend a crapload of ammo blowing up generators or whatever. I don't play CW, but everything I hear makes it sounds like this is already an issue there and I hope they can do something to sidestep that for Assault.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i dunno how it works in games with competent teams but in pubby games it's almost entirely worthless going out of the way to cap objectives in assault. People ball up, murder each other and whoever wins the big brawl will just go mop up whatever is left.

If i go cap i'm just gonna get swamped by like 10 mechs at the end.. might aswell just die or win with everyone else.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

i dunno how it works in games with competent teams but in pubby games it's almost entirely worthless going out of the way to cap objectives in assault. People ball up, murder each other and whoever wins the big brawl will just go mop up whatever is left.

If i go cap i'm just gonna get swamped by like 10 mechs at the end.. might aswell just die or win with everyone else.

You have to judge the situation (and the map) carefully, but at least starting a cap at the right moment can be decisive. Often it will cause the enemy team to split up pretty badly, with like 3-6 of them coming after you in your Raven or whatever. That can give your team the edge in the main fight while you then proceed to bug out. Obviously pub teams aren't coordinated enough to take advantage of it all the time, but it can work.

It's definitely a risk though, and if multiple people go screwing around trying to cap at once it can easily backfire. Sometimes it goes great and you cap them out before they can push you off the base but usually it just leads to what you described - your main force gets stomped and then you get mopped up.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
What alternate reality is it where a goon is bitching about base caps? Do you exclusively pubdrop or something because that is pretty much what we are known for..

And you got capped at 9-0? Jesus gently caress, how incompetent can you be?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

A.o.D. posted:

Nova. Just... nova.

:sun:

Time to redo mine with a fist of flamethrowers and bigger lasers. God, time to replace one of the jumpjets on my 1xLPL SDR-5V with one too.

The JR7-F is also gonna earn that F.

:supaburn:FLAMERS ON EVERYTHING:supaburn:

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
No mention of rescaling the fat ones lol

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Internet Explorer posted:

They used to have turrets. Not sure what happened there.

Surprise, the turrets were poorly balanced wildly swinging from OP to pointless, so they just removed them since Paul couldn't figure them out.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

Surprise, the turrets were poorly balanced wildly swinging from OP to pointless, so they just removed them since Paul couldn't figure them out.

remember when the LRM turrets would fire at you beyond max range and through ECM?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So for the event so far

-Each of the mech class ones is 250,000 Cbills

-16 Matches is 1 million Cbills

-Win 5 matches is 1 day premium time

-50 Assists is a Locket

I got an Ox Blood color randomly as well but I can't figure out where the hell it came from

EDIT: The 8 hero matches is 1.5million Cbills.

Working on the Champion and most damage dealt now

Most Damage Dealt is a Pug in a Helmet standing item and a cbill consumable pack

Bolow fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 13, 2016

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Surprise Giraffe posted:

No mention of rescaling the fat ones lol

It's a work in progress. You should be hearing more about it soon.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Number19 posted:

It's a work in progress. You should be hearing more about it soon.

Any word on how many flamers will apply heat at once?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

e: nevermind I got it.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 13, 2016

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That other goon group is going clan for some CW stuff this week, so we're gonna break off from IS and go back to our true place in the galaxy and play with them.

If you get to it before I do Beraiye/Patton/Zyph set our contract for Ghost Beer.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Well, the Rifleman quirks could be better, but the Legend-Killer ones are at least somewhat gimmicky okay with the 25% LB10-X speed on a mech with twin shotguns. I'm really interested in the RFL-5D. It has enough energy hardpoints that you could fit two or three PPC and have plenty of shorter ranged lasers for personal defense, hillhumping with 70% acceleration bonuses on a robot with nearly perfect weapon height.

quote:

• Panther PNT-10K: ERPPC Quirk has been changed to a PPC Quirk, so the benefit now applies to both ERPPCs and standard PPCs.
• PNT-10K: PPC Velocity Quirk has been increased to +50% (from the original 40% ERPPC Quirk).

I hope they remember to apply this to the (R) version some people shamefully have.

Sard fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 13, 2016

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
WoL is touring Clan Space? Sweeeeeet.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Raged posted:

WoL is touring Clan Space? Sweeeeeet.

We're Kurita now.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Skoll posted:

We're Kurita now.

Baaaah thought there were only 2 goon groups. One day.. One day

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
Might it be possible to get some kind of list up on the OP (or somewhere anywhere) of all goon affiliated clans / usernames? I see WoL people pretty regularly and I'd like to get organized with WoL folks for some Faction play.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
I saw the 75 new posts to this thread, so I didn't read a single one.

THAT MEANS: one flamer, head mounts, push-to-talk.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
What is the reward for doing 4 private matches in the event?

Is there any chance that there is a reward for completing all the challenges?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Raged posted:

What is the reward for doing 4 private matches in the event?

Is there any chance that there is a reward for completing all the challenges?

It's a Hula Girl standing item

I only have faction play stuff left so I have no idea. I got an Ox Blood color with 4 challenge completions and a cbill consumable pack after I think 8? So there's likely one for completing everything

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Skoll posted:

What alternate reality is it where a goon is bitching about base caps? Do you exclusively pubdrop or something because that is pretty much what we are known for..

And you got capped at 9-0? Jesus gently caress, how incompetent can you be?

Is this bizzaro universe where I have the same opinion as Skoll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

hemale in pain posted:

Capping is a secondary objective, usually done by lights to divert attention from the frontlines when you charge in and shoot the enemy in the butt. Anything outside of murderball/turtling is disasterous with how passively pubbies play. But tapping the cap briefly then running off can be good for drawing acouple mechs from the frontlines.

Still prefer maps with caps than plain skirmish, I just hate how slow people can play when the only things to worry about are cover and shooting mans.

• Locked thread