Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

AzureSkys posted:

That office view has to be very validating at times!

It is in a way, but that validation doesn't put food on the table or get me home in my bed every night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Home in your bed every night is something we all knew we were giving up on, but the money is the problem. The regional industry is obsolete and needs to implode.

I can't wait to get started with Atlas so I can finally do adult things, like buy property, and save for retirement.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Have any of you read Squawk 7700? I'm about 30 pages into it and hearing his story has been sort of interesting so far.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

Home in your bed every night is something we all knew we were giving up on, but the money is the problem. The regional industry is obsolete and needs to implode.

I can't wait to get started with Atlas so I can finally do adult things, like buy property, and save for retirement.

Can I ask how old you are?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

33 1/2

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

Is the pilot/pay shortage a uniquely American regional thing, or is everyone all over the world being hit with the same problems?

The pilot shortage is most noticeable in America, since we have a ton of low-paying regional jobs to fill, and there's a "perfect storm" combination of mandatory retirements combining with much more experience being required before someone can work at an airline.

In the past, the last few "pilot shortages" have been cut short due to terrorist attacks or Wall St. wrecking the economy enough to depress the demand for airline flying (and pilots), and regionals always had the option of just lowering their experience requirements to get more people, which they're now prevented from doing, which is why regionals are now crying about "unfair regulation" and demanding Congress fix the mess the airlines got themselves into.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The hour minimums make sense except for rinky dink EAS regionals like lakesair that don't pretend to be anything other than poo poo. Why someone needs 1500 hours to sit right seat in an overgrown King Air is beyond me.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

e.pilot posted:

The hour minimums make sense except for rinky dink EAS regionals like lakesair that don't pretend to be anything other than poo poo. Why someone needs 1500 hours to sit right seat in an overgrown King Air is beyond me.

This is a good point, and I suggested somewhere using them as a stepping stone to build turboprop/multi/multi-pilot time for a short period only to be laughed at. Admittedly, I know nothing about the primarily EAS operators like Boutique Air, SeaPort, Air Choice One, etc. (I've heard Great Lakes sucks), but it doesn't make sense to require someone to have 1500 to fly a Pilatus/Caravan/Cessna 402 (Cape Air)/Beech 1900 when people will otherwise be looking at a CRJ/E145/Dash 8/E175 with the same amount of time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

Great Lakes has a 9 seat configuration to get around just this regulation!

edit: Just look at this desperation

quote:

Great Lakes Airlines is excited to introduce the new Pilot Retention Cash Incentive Plan which is now available to our Pilot group! This program pays a quarterly incentive for eligible participants.

The following are eligible to participate in this program:

• BE1900 Captains - $1,250 / quarter ($5,000 full year incentive)
• EMB-120 Captains - $1,875 / quarter ($7,500 full year incentive)
• EMB-120 First Officers - $750 / quarter ($3,000 full year incentive)

First Officer

Why join the Great Lakes team?
• Begin your airline career with hiring minimums as low as Commercial Multi-Engine Pilot Certificate with instrument rating.
• Fly the fast track to becoming a Captain and qualify to upgrade upon reaching 1500 hours.
• Enhance your flying skills in High/Low Altitude terrain regions and through challenging weather conditions
• Improve and maintain your instrument knowledge and proficiency as an instrument pilot.
• Increase your income, while expanding your professional skill set, through opportunities within the Training department.
• ATP and Restricted ATP candidates have the opportunity to come on board below ATP/R-ATP minimums as a Beech 1900 First Officer and then begin training to fly the EMB-120 under FAR 121, once the R-ATP minimums are reached.
• ATP/Restricted ATP candidates meeting minimums have the opportunity to hire directly onto the EMB-120.
o Upon earning their EMP-120 type rating, ATP/R-ATP EMB-120 First Officers are eligible to receive quarterly bonuses through the company’s Captain Incentive Plan

135 Captain

Why sit SIC with another airline, when you can fly for Great Lakes Airlines and upon reaching 1500 hours, not only can you begin building PIC time, but you can also increase your income through the bonuses available through the company’s Captain Incentive Plan.

When flying as a Captain for Great Lakes Airlines, you can:
• Build FAR 135 PIC time until meeting 121.436 requirements allowing you to become FAR 121 PIC qualified.
o EMB-120 First Officers are qualified to upgrade to Captain on the EMB-120 upon reaching 1000 EMB-120 SIC hours.
o BE1900 Captains are qualified to upgrade to Captain on the EMB-120 upon reaching 1000 PIC hours in the BE1900.
• Gain the experience in judgment, decision making, self-discipline and situational awareness while flying in High/Low Altitude terrain regions and through challenging weather conditions.
• Increase your income opportunity through bonuses paid on a quarterly basis made available with the company’s Captain Incentive Plan.
• Broaden your aviation career experience with opportunities available through the Training Department and the Flight Operations Management team such as
o Ground Instructors
o Sim and Flight instructor positions conducting simulator and flight training for initial, upgrade and recurrent training
o Proficiency and Line Check Airman
o Approved Program Examiner

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 4, 2016

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CBJSprague24 posted:

This is a good point, and I suggested somewhere using them as a stepping stone to build turboprop/multi/multi-pilot time for a short period only to be laughed at. Admittedly, I know nothing about the primarily EAS operators like Boutique Air, SeaPort, Air Choice One, etc. (I've heard Great Lakes sucks), but it doesn't make sense to require someone to have 1500 to fly a Pilatus/Caravan/Cessna 402 (Cape Air)/Beech 1900 when people will otherwise be looking at a CRJ/E145/Dash 8/E175 with the same amount of time.

Because Captain Sully™ said the airlines should only hire the most exquisitely experienced pilots. Ignoring the fact that the whole reason we are dealing with the 1500 hour rule is because of the Colgan crash, where both pilots would have qualified for their exact jobs regardless of the 1500 hour rule, as they were both multi thousand hour pilots. The absurdity of it all would be comical if it weren't so depressing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Speaking of him, here's the article teased in the story I posted previously which pointed out the industry has just enough pilots at the regionals now to cover mainline retirements:

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...d6f&h=wAQFTVoZU

TL;DR, she criticizes:
-Colgan families, in their dire push for change whilst having no idea what they're talking about, for running interference on actual safety initiatives which could've resulted from 3407.
-The head of the Colgan group for not even reading JetBlue's ab initio program or the proposed Reauthorization Bill because he figured they'd run counter to his group's goal.
-The government for capitalizing on outrage culture and looking for sexy headlines instead of doing "the right thing".
-Both groups for being retards hoping for a quick fix, fearmongering to push policy.
-Schumer and the families for media whoring just in time for Congress to discuss it.

She also suggests the Law and resulting pilot shortage is an economic tool put together by the government and unions to force flying back to mainline.

e- Text of the Reauthorization Bill- https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/4441/text#toc-HF96C64E1558A4C53BC4208A59F36DA85

A big part of it appears to be the transfer of ATC services to a non-profit.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 5, 2016

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I start Boeing 767 with Atlas on February 29.... just as they started a nasty war between management and pilots over their CBA, when they just bought Southern Air. Atlas pilots want improvements, but now management wants a contract halfway between Atlas and Southern, which would mean BIG concessions for Atlas pilots. So it looks like I am moving from one embattled pilot group into another.

War.

War never changes.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Animal posted:

I start Boeing 767 with Atlas on February 29.... just as they started a nasty war between management and pilots over their CBA, when they just bought Southern Air. Atlas pilots want improvements, but now management wants a contract halfway between Atlas and Southern, which would mean BIG concessions for Atlas pilots. So it looks like I am moving from one embattled pilot group into another.

War.

War never changes.

ATC tries to kill Atlas anyhow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zBdtNVa8N0

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Can AWSEFT update the OP with my recent CFIIness?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Animal posted:

War.

War never changes.

I don't see any way they get that in this environment unless your pilot group is a bunch of apes. The biggest risk for atlas right mow is management overplaying their hand and making attrition worse than it already is

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Animal posted:

War.

War never changes.

If you're ever stopped over at BWI let's consume alcohol

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I'm always up for comsuption of artisanal fermented barley and hops

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Bought a round of shots for the crew. "Bartender's choice". Bartender serves patron at $11 a shot. Whoops, rookie mistake. This is the kind of thing that should be in 121 training :(

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

The Slaughter posted:

Bought a round of shots for the crew. "Bartender's choice". Bartender serves patron at $11 a shot. Whoops, rookie mistake. This is the kind of thing that should be in 121 training :(

Yeah, when you do this you need to surreptitiously point at the well.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Animal posted:

War.

War never changes.

First, welcome to Atlas! I don't necessarily buy all of the gloom and doom the union is selling us over the negotiations but the Polar/Atlas merger was a shitshow so who knows! Luckily there isn't a whole lot of anger yet and the schoolhouse is pretty well insulated to a lot of the rhetoric anyway. Wear your Union lanyard though. You're a teamster on day one so it's time to act like a dues paying member.

I've been home for about 3 weeks and still waiting for OE. I probably have another 3-4 weeks to go and I think the 767 hays have similar waits. It should be real fun trying to remember all that stuff I learned after 2 months of sitting around.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Slaughter posted:

$121 training :v:

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Rolo posted:

Haha thankfully not that bad but my check was like $85. And I made about $200 flying that day. Woops.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

The Slaughter posted:

Haha thankfully not that bad but my check was like $85. And I made about $200 flying that day. Woops.

If you're buying a round for the crew I assume you're a captain. In that case there's something very wrong if you're only making $200 a day.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

As a regional FO I would only buy rounds for first year flight attendants. Captains can buy their own loving liquor!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Rolo posted:

Only if it's Bacardi 121.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Animal posted:

As a regional FO I would only buy rounds for first year flight attendants. Captains can buy their own loving liquor!

Yo lots of captains better be buying as a reward for putting up with their bullshit all day.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Two Kings posted:

If you're buying a round for the crew I assume you're a captain. In that case there's something very wrong if you're only making $200 a day.

I'm not, but the CA is one of my besties and I was trying to be nice and the FAs don't make poo poo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I have a friend who as a regional captain claimed he'd make first officers buy the first round as punishment if they didn't meet certain parameters (i.e. "If that DME number goes higher than 5 (on an approach) you're buying.")

He also told interesting, possibly exaggerated, stories about layovers on his last month with the company.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Some ridiculous stuff goes on during layovers. We've been kicked out of more than one nice hotel, I guess. I don't usually buy a round, it was just a great crew and my buddy, so.
In other news, I'm going to take over the next megathread since awseft is pretty busy. Looking for title suggestions.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
ATC privatization bill has passed the house, this isn't looking too good.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

e.pilot posted:

ATC privatization bill has passed the house, this isn't looking too good.

It's passed committee in the house, which is entirely different than being passed by the House of Representatives.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Aviation Megathread: Professionally Poor Forever

Aviation Megathread: Student Loan Swandive

Aviation Megathread: Practicing Income Stalls

Aviation Megathread: Office With a View, of Poverty

Aviation Megathread: Living the Dream HAhaha... gently caress.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

I don't think we can have six thread titles.

Can we?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Practicing income stalls is pretty fantastic. So is the office view of poverty. You delivered...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I was in the middle of going through my student loan statements and positive thread titles are no fun :)

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
Aviation Megathread: Professional Vagrancy

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

No poo poo. I am gonna have to put the training center in Miami as my new address because I am driving down there with all my poo poo

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Animal posted:

No poo poo. I am gonna have to put the training center in Miami as my new address because I am driving down there with all my poo poo

When you get down here, hit me up. Where I work is almost certainly within two or three miles of where you'll be, and if you're interested, I can set up a tour for you and your duders.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I would totally love that. I'll let you know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Rolo posted:

Not bad, my proposals:

Aviation Megathread: Air Traffic Control Services brought to you by LockMart©

Aviation Megathread: Catfights at 37,000 feet

If you don't know what the last title refers to, the AV Herald has a good summary about a particular Delta "incident".

• Locked thread