Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Posting links is stupid, no one looks at links. Post comics (which have url tags wrapped around them).

Complaining about posting comics in a webcomic thread is double stupid.

Keep posting comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ok here

i am so flipping tired right now how do human beings manage to go outside literally every day of their lives

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 13, 2016

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I've been meaning to gush about Widdershins' latest chapter for months, and now that we're posting images I think I'll just show why:

That's from before the adventure proper even starts. Until then, it's this incredible warm (not to the point of saccharine) family gathering, full of people happy to see each other, distant relatives being introduced, snippets of stories being told and food being shared.

After that, it's the best Romancing the Stone-type plot I've ever seen. It's a really sweet and organic romance, and, for once, the bookish scholar doesn't have to muss up her hair or lose her glasses or anything to participate in the action. Not to mention the villains, who are incredible--a super-hammy musclebound French noblewoman, a wizard talented enough to teleport but who just wants to take a nap, and the mastermind who manages to flirt our hero to a standstill. It's just a delight to read from start to finish, and while it ties together a lot of long-standing plot threads it also stands quite well on its own, being essentially a prequel to the series so far.

Anyway, yeah. Read Widdershins and be filled with emotions and magic!

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 13, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
widdershins is cool and good, do read it

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

if you like widdershins you should probably give spare keys for strange doors a look

it's sort of the halfway point between that and Ghostbusters

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 13, 2016

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

if you like widdershins you should probably give spare keys for strange doors a look

it's sort of low-key, domestic english Ghostbusters

It's like everyone's nose has another, smaller nose.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if we're going to post ghost busters i'm going to have to bring up A Ghost Story

which is about a pair of not-really-legal ghost hunting losers and also their best friend lucy who is not pictured below

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 13, 2016

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Y'all aren't talking about ghost-bustering comics and not mentioning American Spirits, right? http://americanspirits.webcomic.ws

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
on rereading sin titulo i'm kind of put off by the antagonist's bad guy cred being established/reinforced by sexual violence against women :/

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
another ghost busting comic that isn't nearly so established but shows some promise imo is Blackgrass

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how many ghost busting comics are there anyways

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
so many, yet not enough,.,..

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Carrasco posted:

I've been meaning to gush about Widdershins' latest chapter for months, and now that we're posting images I think I'll just show why:

That's from before the adventure proper even starts. Until then, it's this incredible warm (not to the point of saccharine) family gathering, full of people happy to see each other, distant relatives being introduced, snippets of stories being told and food being shared.

After that, it's the best Romancing the Stone-type plot I've ever seen. It's a really sweet and organic romance, and, for once, the bookish scholar doesn't have to muss up her hair or lose her glasses or anything to participate in the action. Not to mention the villains, who are incredible--a super-hammy musclebound French noblewoman, a wizard talented enough to teleport but who just wants to take a nap, and the mastermind who manages to flirt our hero to a standstill. It's just a delight to read from start to finish, and while it ties together a lot of long-standing plot threads it also stands quite well on its own, being essentially a prequel to the series so far.

Tollymain posted:

if we're going to post ghost busters i'm going to have to bring up A Ghost Story

which is about a pair of not-really-legal ghost hunting losers and also their best friend lucy who is not pictured below

These are extremely amazing comics human beings should read to be cool.

I do kinda wish people could do a read-through 'book club' style chat of comics instead of just randomly posting whatevers... but I realize that might be a huge ask. I think it'd be a cool idea though.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fun hater posted:

so many, yet not enough,.,..

lucy! :buddy:

Space-Bird posted:

These are extremely amazing comics human beings should read to be cool.

I do kinda wish people could do a read-through 'book club' style chat of comics instead of just randomly posting whatevers... but I realize that might be a huge ask. I think it'd be a cool idea though.

could make a good thread

i could probably use rereading the comics i do read, just to pick up on the subtler foreshadowing and so on this time around

studiously avoids looking at my list of unread comics :v:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Tollymain posted:

how many ghost busting comics are there anyways

there's also Wilde Life, which is admittedly less about busting ghosts and more like living with a chill ghost bro and encountering other weird supernatural stuff

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dmboogie posted:

there's also Wilde Life, which is admittedly less about busting ghosts and more like living with a chill ghost bro and encountering other weird supernatural stuff

nobody better bust that ghost <:mad:>

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Tollymain posted:

nobody better bust that ghost <:mad:>

To be fair, the current arc seems more about busting some vagrant teens (who commit petty crimes and turn into canines).

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I want to like Octopus Pie so bad, but the amazing art is used to tell a really vacuous story.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I want to like Octopus Pie so bad, but the amazing art is used to tell a really vacuous story.

It's a fantastically written, extremely well-drawn depiction of the experience of being a directionless middle-class twentysomething in New York City, which happens to be the most exhaustively explored human experience in the history of english literature barring maybe being an author with writer's block, and possibly the least interesting

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 13, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

It's a fantastically written, extremely well-drawn depiction of the experience of being a directionless middle-class twentysomething in New York City, which happens to be the most exhaustively explored human experience in the history of english literature barring maybe being an author with writer's block, and possibly the least interesting

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

That might be true in webcomics, but in literature in general, and in film as well for that matter, I can't imagine it's more well tread ground than the harrowing plights of successful upper middle aged male writers.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

This is perfection.

More comics! This time from DeviantArt!

The Veligent by Reptangle

Beautifully drawn fantasy story with lots of cute critters. LOOK AT THOSE COLORS!!
http://reptangle.deviantart.com/art/Cover-of-The-Veligent-color-version-588552136

Dead Tree by James Johnson, aka MutantComix

I love this artist. He's silly as all hell and everything he makes has this Troma level of self-mockery. One of the main characters is a robot skeleton with a massive spiky robot dick exposed at all times.
http://mutantcomix.deviantart.com/art/Dead-Tree-Page-01-449212749

Chancellor Autopsy by AutopsyJuice

This author is comedy gold and one hell of a great artist. I don't really understand what the plot of her comic is but the art and humor are just too charming.
http://autopsyjuice.deviantart.com/gallery/55571068/Chancellor-Autopsy

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The earlier Octopus pie comics are really better, because the more constrained art fit the scale if storytelling.

It's expanded visually but this has ended up underlining the least interesting parts of the comic.

Also, it's really... American? In that almost solipsistic way that David Foster Wallace's writing is American. As a Euro, its nearly suffocating.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The earlier Octopus pie comics are really better, because the more constrained art fit the scale if storytelling.

It's expanded visually but this has ended up underlining the least interesting parts of the comic.

Also, it's really... American? In that almost solipsistic way that David Foster Wallace's writing is American. As a Euro, its nearly suffocating.

it's not just for Euros, the entire body of New York Literature has me well convinced that literally nothing ever happens in New York and everyone there thinks everything past Long Island is all dragons or something. Talking to New York expats who wax longwinded about their beloved home city has only confirmed this

I've run into some pretty neat comics some kids drew about being directionless broke as poo poo twentysomethings living in a punk house, where you can only sit still for existential navelgazing so long before the rats in the walls swarm you, but unfortunately none of those are online

Spera is a neat fantasy story about hobo princesses that's mostly cool for being drawn exquisite corpse-style by a whole bunch of different artists

I lost the thread of what's going on in Supermassive Black Hole A* a while ago but it's got a very funky art style and IIRC a good story when you've got the time to read through enough of its seventeen billion single-panel pages to follow it

the guy who makes http://www.electricsheepcomix.com/ sorta fell off the edge of the Earth a few years back but just look at this poo poo

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 13, 2016

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

it's not just for Euros, the entire body of New York Literature has me well convinced that literally nothing ever happens in New York and everyone there thinks everything past Long Island is all dragons or something. Talking to New York expats who wax longwinded about their beloved home city has only confirmed this
It's great living in Chicago because no one will ever get sick of your stories about how awesome the city is. Primarily because they will never let you tell them and instead begin talking about shootings, political corruption, and how your beloved home is a symbol of everything wrong in the country from either a left or right perspective.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I like the cycle of the thread where we post cool new comics we found

I've been reading Daughter of the Lilies lately. It's sort of like Unsounded so far, in that it's a pseudo-medieval fantasy world permeated by magic and the comic can get graphic at times, but it has substantially more likeable characters and about 70% less time spent talking about dry magic mechanics and dull politics between hawt anime men!

There's also some mystery going on know about what exactly the mage girl is under her mask, which is intriguing (be careful not to flip to the main webpage because latest update is super spoilery!)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

If we are talking fantasy webcomics, I cannot not recommend Digger by Ursula Vernon. Charming writing, dry humor and a world makes me reach for the dice without thinking.
http://diggercomic.com/blog/2007/02/01/wombat1-gnorf/

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I will vouch for Digger being awesome as hell.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Also it's finished (has been for a while), always a plus.

My only gripe is that while I was waiting on the final updates, it seemed to end much more suddenly than the epic scope of the story had led me to anticipate. Being objective though, I think I've just been ruined by too many long form comics. It's very good and I have no substantial criticisms.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Benagain posted:

It's great living in Chicago because no one will ever get sick of your stories about how awesome the city is. Primarily because they will never let you tell them and instead begin talking about shootings, political corruption, and how your beloved home is a symbol of everything wrong in the country from either a left or right perspective.

It's great living in Prague because no one talks about how great the city is. They ask how much you know about the Czech Republic and then laugh because almost nothing is exported no one on the outside knows much of anything. Then they tell you about how Vin Diesel is a douche for breaking something on the Charles Bridge one time and the American version of Budweiser is bullshit.

Also, Puck! by ElectricGecko

Goofball romp with absurdly hot legendary fairies and demigoddesses. Also, the author is one of the nicest guys ever.
http://www.puckcomics.com/

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Plethora posted:

Also, Puck! by ElectricGecko

Goofball romp with absurdly hot legendary fairies and demigoddesses. Also, the author is one of the nicest guys ever.
http://www.puckcomics.com/

Archie got weird

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I've been reading up on comics that I hadn't looked at in some time. So far I've caught up on Cucumber Quest, Paranatural, Unsounded, Wilde Life, and Stand Still, Stay Silent. Now I have a large chunk of Gunnerkrigg Court to read up on.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Plethora posted:

It's great living in Prague because no one talks about how great the city is. They ask how much you know about the Czech Republic and then laugh because almost nothing is exported no one on the outside knows much of anything. Then they tell you about how Vin Diesel is a douche for breaking something on the Charles Bridge one time and the American version of Budweiser is bullshit.
Yea isnt that the city run by vampires?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Jackard posted:

Yea isnt that the city run by vampires?
I thought they had a clay golem or something going on there.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Ofaloaf posted:

I thought they had a clay golem or something going on there.

We have an army of drunk dads armed with pork products to defend us.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Nuns with Guns posted:

I like the cycle of the thread where we post cool new comics we found

I've been reading Daughter of the Lilies lately. It's sort of like Unsounded so far, in that it's a pseudo-medieval fantasy world permeated by magic and the comic can get graphic at times, but it has substantially more likeable characters and about 70% less time spent talking about dry magic mechanics and dull politics between hawt anime men!

There's also some mystery going on know about what exactly the mage girl is under her mask, which is intriguing (be careful not to flip to the main webpage because latest update is super spoilery!)

Haha, it looks like I've come in just in time for SPACE JESUS to show up.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pavlov posted:

Yeah the writer/artist is some flavor of devout Christian. She says she's interested in religion being an underlying theme that doesn't turn into a some kind of RH Junior-level lecture, so I guess I'll wait and see if this goes into weird places or if it avoids hamfisted proselytizing and spins a good story

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 13, 2016

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Carrasco posted:

Ah, such kind words! Thank you very much! I've had a lot of fun writing this one, a little sad that it's wrapping up already. Onto the next (extremely important!) chapter!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Pavlov posted:

nah, it's probably just a regular old angel, after all its only a servant of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit the "One who is Three"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yeah the writer/artist is some flavor of devout Christian. She says she's interested in religion being an underlying theme that doesn't turn into a some kind of RH Junior-level lecture, so I guess I'll wait and see if this goes into weird places or if it avoids hamfisted proselytizing and spins a good story

Yeah I read the author comment. Let's hope they go more LoTR than Narnia. I don't normally bet on people knowing how to write good subtlety though, especially about JESUS.

Also, I want to see if I can figure out the author's denomination just from the comic. You can already tell they're some kind of trinitarian.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 14, 2016

• Locked thread