Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Trip report: Mackarel

drat nice fish, very different from sardines in that they come as one big filet and you have to take chunks off with a fork. But the taste is really nice, I think I might prefer them to 'dines at least when it comes to tomato paste fish. Haven't seen them in oil, but they're drat good in tomato sauce/paste.

Try them out if you see them! Easier to eat as well, no little fishies sliding around on your cracker but just a nice big chunk o flesh.

5/5 fishies

edit: i had them with fancy french dijon smeared on cheap plain wheat crackers. very nice combo. :q:

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Mackerel is an awesome fish and totally underrated. I live on the Atlantic in the SE of the US and I know a few salty old fisherdudes that run sports fishing charters. They catch ample and huge mackerels (sometimes even weighing up to 15-20 pounds) casually and the people on the charter never want to take the mackerel home. I have been the benefactor of nice clean and fresh mackerel filets on many different occasions. It's become one of my favorite fish. It's robust enough that it can stand up to lots of different cooking preparations, yet when fresh it still has a nice delicacy to it. It's a great sushi fish, as well.

XVIII
Jul 11, 2007
londish by injection
I used to fight my brothers for the tins of KO kippers and dines in the pantry, but then I stupidly moved to England where I can't seem to get KO anymore*. Ocado only has these, and they probably have the best selection I can get. What would you recommend?

*Plus side is I can get fresh smoked kipper fillets now and OH BOY

XVIII fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 9, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I got deen reccs for UK pod "people" right in the op you doof

E: three quid for a canfish what the heck

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Just tried the Prince Rupert or whatever in water on a whim. Not overly impressed, it tastes like medium grade canned salmon, but a little less flavorful. Not the best introduction, but I know what they look, feel, and pair like. Gonna try some KO in oil proper and make them all fancy and poo poo next. Alternately, I could do a BLT with 'dines. Or go basic and do Fisherman's eggs.

Juat looked at pics of KO. Holy poo poo, they are so much more appetizing

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Feb 9, 2016

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

XVIII posted:

I used to fight my brothers for the tins of KO kippers and dines in the pantry, but then I stupidly moved to England where I can't seem to get KO anymore*. Ocado only has these, and they probably have the best selection I can get. What would you recommend?

*Plus side is I can get fresh smoked kipper fillets now and OH BOY

Sainsbury's Portuguese sardines are apparently pretty good (and 40p), and you can get a variety of - again, Portuguese - sardines on Amazon; for example, Minerva-brand sardines are pretty good, but you might have to buy a 10-pack. If you want to spend more, you can order some gourmet poo poo from France @ Sardine Pirates, but shipping will gently caress you over unless you order a tonne. Don't buy John West sardines.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
its the wee hours here right now and Im going to sneak into the kitchen for some Sardines and Crackers

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Mackarel is Really loving good on some whole grain toast with sriracha. Tomato paste kind.

Easily my new go-to breakfast. Sorry dines.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Yesterday marked Ash Wednesday, the beginning of the Lenten season for catholics. Traditionally a time of fasting and self-sacrifice, in contemporary times it is mostly still around in the form of giving up a thing that is loved. This year, I'm going totally sober, and meat avoiding (whenever I am in charge of my own cooking). For a person like myself, of modest means, between jobs and in a snowy land, this means 'dines.

Remember: Jesus multiplied the loaves and fishes, so a sardine sandwich is a good choice.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

I went to a Walmart in freakin' Santa Fe that was supposedly a heaven for KO Mackerel... lies... slander... but all is well, when I got back to my place I had received my Royal Taster package sometime during my trip. Really happy I chose this one, it came with 3 flavors of dines I've never been able to wrangle into my goony fingers. The plastic snap-on dine tin lid will certainly be used and I'm already sporting the KO bottle opener keychain

:coolfish::hf::whatup:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I got stoned and ate all my crackers and now I have nothing to eat my dines with. Dammit, those were bought with the sole purpose of dining.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

I got stoned and ate all my crackers and now I have nothing to eat my dines with. Dammit, those were bought with the sole purpose of dining.

slurp em straight out the tin

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Anyone here have experience eating this with a busted up mouth? Really wanna get down on some tiny rear end fish, but my dad said the worse pain he ever experienced was when a bone lodged itself into one of his cavities, and my mouth is ALL cavity.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Jimson posted:

Anyone here have experience eating this with a busted up mouth? Really wanna get down on some tiny rear end fish, but my dad said the worse pain he ever experienced was when a bone lodged itself into one of his cavities, and my mouth is ALL cavity.

Dine bones shouldn't gently caress with your cavities, they're not sharp and have less crunch than a potato chip.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Jimson posted:

your dad then has clearly never given birth

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jimson posted:

Is your dad bubble-boy? Because that is a pretty scrub-tier pansy-rear end intense pain story.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Sizone posted:

your dad then has clearly never given birth

i thought all dads gave birth tto their sons

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

AEMINAL posted:

i thought all dads gave birth tto their sons
Like the barbarians from Oglaf. It checks out.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jimson posted:

1) go to the dentist

2) if a dine bone is gonna reform you into the image of a bitch then anything is and there is probably only one type of bone you should be putting in your mouth and it is the color of Arabian skin and has a hat and is full of acrid cum

raton fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 12, 2016

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:captainpop:

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Planet X posted:

Costco had Seasons in oil. Wasn't sure whether to stock up or not, as I'm a KO man, like most of us.

What's the goon word on these?

These are my staple. I love them.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Planet X posted:

Costco had Seasons in oil. Wasn't sure whether to stock up or not, as I'm a KO man, like most of us.

What's the goon word on these?

KO is a lot better but the Seasons are good and I like using them for cooking

Them Riga sprats in the round can are as good as KO IMO

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Finally tried the vintage sardines last night. I was really tired from work so I didn't want to make a big thing out of eating them alongside regular KO.

I ate them direct from the can with the sardine fork and the reminder on basmati rice.

Overall, I found the olive oil taste more prominent than regular KO. The dines were very delicate with pink flesh and had a mild flavor. My boyfriend who normally doesn't like dines because of the bones and fishy flavor found these to be agreeable. Overall, they were light and soft with a slight bitter aftertaste.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

They're so pretty. :3:

After eating a few tins of the KOs, I don't even want to look at the boneless/skinless tins of various brands that I still have. idk what to do with them

naem
May 29, 2011

The Snoo posted:

After eating a few tins of the KOs, I don't even want to look at the boneless/skinless tins of various brands that I still have. idk what to do with them

Three years from now at midnight you'll be like "do I have any food even" and rummage around your cupboard and BOOYA you will yell, as if it is 2004

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

naem posted:

Three years from now at midnight you'll be like "do I have any food even" and rummage around your cupboard and BOOYA you will yell, as if it is 2004

I can't express enough love for this post

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The Snoo posted:

Chop and mix em up in fisherman's eggs.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So, I got some KO dines in EVOO. Got crackers, got a hot mustard, if needed.

My initial thoughts are that there's nothing incredibly special about them. They taste a poo poo ton better than the Prince Whoever, but even with the KOs, it's just not impressive. Instead of being USGI grade canned salmon in flavor, its now just a decent grade canned fish. I don't mind them, but I'm not gaga over them.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

AEMINAL posted:

Trip report: Mackarel

drat nice fish, very different from sardines in that they come as one big filet and you have to take chunks off with a fork. But the taste is really nice, I think I might prefer them to 'dines at least when it comes to tomato paste fish. Haven't seen them in oil, but they're drat good in tomato sauce/paste.

Try them out if you see them! Easier to eat as well, no little fishies sliding around on your cracker but just a nice big chunk o flesh.

5/5 fishies

edit: i had them with fancy french dijon smeared on cheap plain wheat crackers. very nice combo. :q:

Mackerel is great for dinner as well. Barbecued mackerel is amazing.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Finally found a Wallyworld that stocks delicious KO Mackerel, only $2.20 a tin, but no Mediterranean flavor anywhere within 30 miles of me :( I bought a bunch, and a bunch of dines. I then proceeded to break a self-checkout after using 5 different KO coups I'd been saving. The cashier that came to help was pretty impressed with my KO keychain tho :coolfish:

I might have to buy a full rack next time I'm there, these fishies are delicious!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Randarkman posted:

Mackerel is great for dinner as well. Barbecued mackerel is amazing.

Goddamn that looks delicious but I can't find any mackerel at the big chain grocery stores around here. The only time had it was when I got my KO taster pack. Where did you get yours?

Likewise the only kipper snacks I can find are Crown Prince brand which are pretty good but I'd like to try some others. I guess I'll try someplace like Trader Joe's.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

pahuyuth posted:

Goddamn that looks delicious but I can't find any mackerel at the big chain grocery stores around here. The only time had it was when I got my KO taster pack. Where did you get yours?

Likewise the only kipper snacks I can find are Crown Prince brand which are pretty good but I'd like to try some others. I guess I'll try someplace like Trader Joe's.
If your wallet is infinite and you don't want to keep it in the cupboard for a midnight snack a year later you can probably find smoked mackerel in vacuum packs anywhere that's got a smoked salmon supply chain. The local Whole Foods carries some and I haven't cared to try finding the canned stuff even if it'd end up cheaper.

Finding fresh fish where they aren't normally caught is hoping a local shop starts picking up the scraps from a restaurant getting air deliveries.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Kilo147 posted:

So, I got some KO dines in EVOO. Got crackers, got a hot mustard, if needed.

My initial thoughts are that there's nothing incredibly special about them. They taste a poo poo ton better than the Prince Whoever, but even with the KOs, it's just not impressive. Instead of being USGI grade canned salmon in flavor, its now just a decent grade canned fish. I don't mind them, but I'm not gaga over them.

Oh great now I can't separate your avatar from sardines and whenever I see David Bowie I think about sardines.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

BaconCopter posted:

Finally found a Wallyworld that stocks delicious KO Mackerel, only $2.20 a tin, but no Mediterranean flavor anywhere within 30 miles of me :( I bought a bunch, and a bunch of dines. I then proceeded to break a self-checkout after using 5 different KO coups I'd been saving. The cashier that came to help was pretty impressed with my KO keychain tho :coolfish:

I might have to buy a full rack next time I'm there, these fishies are delicious!

King Oscar Mediterranean Sardines, 3.75 Ounce Tins (Pack of 12)

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Not the most appetizing pic, but these Clover Leaf brislings in olive oil are pretty good! Nice and firm, much smaller and a bit fishier than my usual 'dines. They were great with some hot sauce and pepper. Would absolutely get them again.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I for one think that is a very good dine pic

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

I meant Mediterranean Mackerel. I can find those locally.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sheep-Goats posted:

I for one think that is a very good dine pic

me too. only thing it's really missing is the action fork.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Thanks dine bros, I just wish I hadn't eaten any of the :coolfish: before I took the picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I AM A FAT LATIN MAMI