Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I think the Ark attack against Treekru will be interesting in terms of how Polis will react, maybe we'll see more of Indra and Lexa and Clarke but Pike is a bit one-note even if it is understandable and Bellamy's motivation is a bit rushed and cloudy even if that is the point. I get that Bellamy is fuming and hates himself but man he just needs like 5 seconds to clearheadedness to remember they're going to be shooting at Lincoln and Nico and Indra's people, not Ice Nation's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Some people seem to forget this show had a season one, where Bellamy responded to being pushed into the corner by being stupid and reactive. They haven't even been on the ground a year, he's still basically that person. He hosed up a few times in short order, it screwed with his confidence, he does what he always does: Fall in line behind a strong authority figure with a vision. It seems like a positive trait when that person is Clarke and he's going to bat for people you care about. When it's Pike, it's poo poo. It's the same character flaw at work either way.

That being said Pike is rushed as gently caress and entirely one note, if in a very human way.

e: Seriously, none of what he is doing is out of line with how he's always acted, it's just the worst part of his character. I get that people want cool hero Bellamy and not douchebag with two chicks in his tent destroying everyone else's life to keep his sister safe Bellamy, but it's the same guy. And only fictional characters can manage to shed their negative qualities that quickly.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 12, 2016

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I've forgiven worse gently caress-ups on worse shows, but I hope this doesn't become a trend. The 100 is great with redemption arcs, so it's kind of baffling why it sucks so much at going the other way.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So we're the GoT vibes the "give me 20 good men" part and even the duel looked like the Mountain vs the Viper.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

So we're the GoT vibes the "give me 20 good men" part and even the duel looked like the Mountain vs the Viper.

At least they had the good excuse of automatic rifles, in GoT it was just stupid.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I do enjoy how this show loves setting up coups and then just blowing them up immediately, whether it's the Ice Queen or the ex-Chancellor who stole the drop ship.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

CeeJee posted:

The Season 3 CW Syndrome is starting to get visible here.
I think this is exactly why I am So Very Triggered by this, this is right about when TVD turned from a good show into a constant slurry of poo poo funnelled directly into my mouth eyes and ears, and it happened in a similar way

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It feels like they're in a place where they could slow down and take their time with things, but instead they're just rushing through at the same clip as seasons one and two so the added characters and conflicts that didn't carry over from S2 feel out of place and rushed as gently caress.

Like if they had spent a couple more episodes on the Pike stuff or let us get to know Bellamy's GF more (or switched her out for a minor character from seasons past so we have a small connection already) this would all be well and good. Pike makes sense he's just moved so fast, and Bellamy makes sense but it seems flimsy because of how much is focused on that GF dying rather than the parts of him that make his decision work.

Almost feels like they're speeding past this stuff to leave more room for the City of Light story, or hurrying to split the arkers into two factions or whatever so they can get on to that bit already.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pike is basically Colonel Ellis without a battleship.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

esperterra posted:

Almost feels like they're speeding past this stuff to leave more room for the City of Light story, or hurrying to split the arkers into two factions or whatever so they can get on to that bit already.

There's no way Jaha's arrival won't coincide with Pike's death.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The sad thing is that there are so many good ideas going on with the story. But it's all being ridiculously rushed. The Ice Queen was introduced and killed in essentially the same episode after being seemingly hyped up to be a real factor. The Clarke poisoning plan was a joke with how fast it came and went. The 13th clan dynamic would have been so cool if it weren't just introduced and undone in ONE EPISODE. And soon they need to drop the whole AI plot nightmare on top of an already existing plot mess.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If S2 moved at S3's pace, Cage would've been president by now. Plots can move too fast.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

And soon they need to drop the whole AI plot nightmare on top of an already existing plot mess.
I will physically fight you

the City of Light poo poo is way more interesting than the Camp Jaharcadia poo poo this season

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everything at Polis rules.

The Bellamy/Pike poo poo could work if it was at all earned. I'd have believed that heel turn if Octavia had died, or if they spread it out, had him struggle with it over a couple of episodes, maybe had a few more tense dealings between him and some Grounders. Hopefully this is some "realities of 16 episode seasons" or something that necessitates a bullet of a subplot to set up pieces for a much better plot and payoff in a couple of episodes.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Kegslayer posted:

Don't quite understand the hate for Pike.

Someone has to lay the groundwork for Clarke's season three killing spree.

Though this is the kind of thing I was afraid of. I think the "Genghis Clarke" stuff is fun for jokes, but if the writers actually just want to set things up for a genocide every season, them we're about at self-parody.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, kind of a disappointing ep. It really did feel like they'd skipped an ep in-between. I didn't mind that we missed weeks of scheming and got right to the inevitable coup attempt at the start, but the stuff with Pike and the election was crazy rushed. I get that they struggle to show us much of the Arkers for budget reasons (they seem spread very thin at the moment), but it really seems like they could've done a lot more.

Good parts:
- Clarke's attempt to poison Ice Queen was pretty rad.
- The spear throw was a solid move.
- Jasper expressed his feelings.
- I like Lincoln.
- Still no Jaha.

Extra bad parts:
- "What about Raven?" Uh, yeah, seriously. Where was she? She better not have voted for Pike.
- The Commander still has ZERO presence and acts in every scene like she's wandered onto the set and is hoping no one notices. I will never understand the people who praise that actress.
- The 300 style slow-down-speed-up, silly twirling weapons fight in the extremely low-budget arena. The show used to have some really cool, BRUTAL fights - see Clarke v Anya. This was like He-Man or some poo poo. Sidenote: the second the Commander was within grabbing distance of someone that much stronger than her, she'd have been dead.
- if Charles Vane is allowed to punch a guy and take a spear into the fight, could an Arker not have just handed the Commander a pistol and let her go all Indiana Jones on him?
- "my first act as chancellor is that there are no more elections and i am chancellor forever and also you have to give me all your toys"

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
lexa rules and her actress is good and cool

Mary674
Jan 30, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

Some people seem to forget this show had a season one, where Bellamy responded to being pushed into the corner by being stupid and reactive. They haven't even been on the ground a year, he's still basically that person. He hosed up a few times in short order, it screwed with his confidence, he does what he always does: Fall in line behind a strong authority figure with a vision. It seems like a positive trait when that person is Clarke and he's going to bat for people you care about. When it's Pike, it's poo poo. It's the same character flaw at work either way.

That being said Pike is rushed as gently caress and entirely one note, if in a very human way.

e: Seriously, none of what he is doing is out of line with how he's always acted, it's just the worst part of his character. I get that people want cool hero Bellamy and not douchebag with two chicks in his tent destroying everyone else's life to keep his sister safe Bellamy, but it's the same guy. And only fictional characters can manage to shed their negative qualities that quickly.

Actually, season one Bellamy was interesting because yes, he was reactive and made very bad decisions, but this stemmed from actually built-up, believable motivations over many episodes. Also, he took things into his own hands and took charge of the camp... I can't really buy him just falling behind Pike because, as was stated, he's always been anti-authority. I was buying him following Kane because they showed them building mutual respect to some extent. With Pike, he just felt way too easily manipulated by an authority figure without Pike actually having earned any respect (not on-screen anyway). We'll see how this plays out.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

They really mucked this up on the Gina angle. If it had a little more time to grow organically it wouldn't feel so out of left field. Jasper's a real dick right now but we at least saw his whole journey with Maya and how he got here, and his reactions are totally believable from a teen boy who's had the weight of the world on his shoulders only for it to collapse on him.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

VagueRant posted:

- "my first act as chancellor is that there are no more elections and i am chancellor forever and also you have to give me all your toys"

my god...

they would have to do it too. he's the chancellor!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I feel like there was a missing episode. Like that or spend an extra episode about the Arkadia election to build up tension on who might win or if Pike might sweep it. At the same time, Pike and Farm Station desperately need(ed?) an episode for them like the tailies in Lost got and maybe even like 15 minutes more of the Ice Queen.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MacheteZombie posted:

This is true, Clarke might just execute him next episode to make a point lol.

You might be the Chancellor but I'm in charge :ese:

e: Honestly I'd be pretty stoked if Pike just got randomly eaten by a mutant ape while he's out, but I figure this is gonna drag out

Azhais fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 13, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Call me crazy but I think right after an attack is probably the worst time to hold an election.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I really enjoy how they made the weird pidgin grounder language close enough to English that you can sort of understand what they're saying. It's a really cool touch

Troposphere posted:

lexa rules and her actress is good and cool

these opinions are Correct, and also Good

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I'm assuming that the reason Abby wasn't around at the end of the episode is because she is going to warn Clarke and Lexa about pike. I would also assume that Lincoln and Octavia would go warn the army. I can't imagine that everyone would just sit around and let pike carry out his plan.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Duck Rodgers posted:

I'm assuming that the reason Abby wasn't around at the end of the episode is because she is going to warn Clarke and Lexa about pike. I would also assume that Lincoln and Octavia would go warn the army. I can't imagine that everyone would just sit around and let pike carry out his plan.

Do you mind preview spoilers?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

FELD1 posted:

I don't get why Bellamy would so willingly join an anti-grounder movement when his sister has become something of a grounder-arker hybrid. Seems weird. That said, I'm curious to see how this plays out and I'm glad that the bedroom scene with Clarke and Lexa wasn't too unnecessarily indulgent.
Yeah, Jasper's angst is frustrating television but at least makes sense. There's no way Bellamy is dumb enough to want to kill a peacekeeping force sent there by allies, especially since he knows full well the Mt. Weather attack was done by Ice Nation and he's been around long enough to not be an idiot and blame all grounders for something like that. I mean, he was there in Polis when they found out the entire thing was an Ice Nation set-up so he knows the main grounder force wasn't behind it and was still supposed to be with them. Really disappointing writing. Although, Finn psycho murdered a bunch of women and children last season, so it's not the first time one of the good guys suddenly becomes an unhinged killer that ruins things for everyone.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe all the Arkadia stuff was just a simulation the AI is running in the city of light. maybe :(

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Maybe all the Arkadia stuff was just a simulation the AI is running in the city of light. maybe :(

plz the 100, its not too late

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm glad the thread talked up Lexa being a bad fighter before this episode to instill me with a sense of suspense going into the duel.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
What I liked is that Arkadia apparently has a system of government where someone can commit treason and then hours later be on the ballot for Chancellor. That's definitely not a system that is ripe for abuse.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm still chuckling at Abby and Kane tossing the Chancellor pin back and forth, then Pike comes up out of nowhere and snatches it while dunking on those 2 nerds. :slick:

LOL that's the best description of what happened!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

also I thought the Chancellor still had to vote on stuff and wasn't just a dictator.

There was a Council, Kane and Abby were on it and I think Abby's friend who vanished after the first couple eps but we haven't seen much of it so I assume most of them perished in the shennanigans on the Ark or in the subsequent crash.

Even so, Jaha was making some pretty tough unilateral decisions in the first episodes, floating people, sending the kids down, deciding to cut off people's air, etc. I actually think I want to rewatch those episodes to see the Large and In Charge Jaha vs Matrix Cult Leader Jaha of this season. I bet it's a huge contrast.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Astroman posted:

Even so, Jaha was making some pretty tough unilateral decisions in the first episodes, floating people, sending the kids down, deciding to cut off people's air, etc.

Those decisions were in the following order: The law, council decision and council decision. I think him pardoning Abby was the exception.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Maybe I'm just defending lovely writing but I don't see Bellamy's change of heart to be that big of a reveal. He's always been a douchebag and he values power and control. Everything he's done so far this season has ended in a completely failure and I think Pike's anti grounder movement is just a way for him to become relevant again. It's not even that big of a surprise that Pike won since most of Skykru probably doesn't have a lot of content with grounders aside from Lincoln (he's on the of the 'good ones'). From their perspective, grounders have been loving them over since day one and Mount Weather was the last straw.

They should have definitely fleshed out Pike a bit though.

Lycus posted:

Though this is the kind of thing I was afraid of. I think the "Genghis Clarke" stuff is fun for jokes, but if the writers actually just want to set things up for a genocide every season, them we're about at self-parody.

I honestly expect every season to rack up a massive body count because it's what you'd expect to happen at every stage of history. I honestly can't think of a single instance where two culturally and technologically different civilisations met and it didn't end in bloodshed. Like the Coalition of the twelve tribes only existed to fight the mountain men and now that the threat is gone, there's nothing left holding the peace between the tribes much less with skykru.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's also thematically appropriate that the few remnants of civilisation that survived MAD are all too busy killing each other to rebuild into anything real. Humanity didn't learn anything.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You guys... few cracks and the dam is busted.
:kingsley:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Noctone posted:

What I liked is that Arkadia apparently has a system of government where someone can commit treason and then hours later be on the ballot for Chancellor. That's definitely not a system that is ripe for abuse.

Ya but he pardoned himself so it's like he never committed treason in the first place :v:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I feel like if you are about to hold an election in which a grounder-hater might win, you might take the precaution of sending a runner out to the grounder army outside and say "Yeah, look, we've got some internal leadership poo poo going down, you guys might want to clear out to stay clear of it" especially if the guy who might become chancellor was just caught trying to sneak out and murder them.

But who am I kidding, the next episode is going to open with all those grounders dead because DRAMA

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah that's going to (potentially, probably) be the really dumb thing. They've already established that the grounder forces protecting Arkadia have a radio, so there's really no excuse for them to not be warned well in advance of any ambush Pike could attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

WarLocke posted:

I feel like if you are about to hold an election in which a grounder-hater might win, you might take the precaution of sending a runner out to the grounder army outside and say "Yeah, look, we've got some internal leadership poo poo going down, you guys might want to clear out to stay clear of it" especially if the guy who might become chancellor was just caught trying to sneak out and murder them.

But who am I kidding, the next episode is going to open with all those grounders dead because DRAMA
Yeah I hope the stupid didn't get passed around because they had at least a good 12 hours before they released Pike. I'm gonna be sorely disappointed if they murder off those grounders. Would honestly be dumber than Finn committing war crimes, at least that you can wrap your head around.

• Locked thread