Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Please vote fiore off this planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

slidebite posted:

I can't imagine any booby traps would be expertly made by the honorary marine masterminds, maybe a bucket of water over a door frame and I doubt they could pull that off.

One of the "traps" Fry showed us was a bunch of empty bottles and trash scattered around the perimeter, so if the FBI tries to sneak up on the camp in the dark they'll step on noisy trash and alert the patriots. Of course the trash was just randomly thrown around completely ineffectively. It's like they'd seen triplines hung with bottles and cans in movies, but couldn't manage that much effort.

e: http://news.yahoo.com/patient-strategy-pays-off-fbi-ending-oregon-standoff-064336156.html

quote:

FBI officials said Friday they haven't found any rigged explosives or booby traps at the national wildlife refuge in Oregon that had been seized by an armed group.

Facebook Aunt has issued a correction as of 01:19 on Feb 13, 2016

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
If these people don't plead insanity they're fools.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mr. Nice! posted:

Of the last four, two are likely going to get some sort of probation and fines with maybe a small jail sentence. The guy that had a felony warrant is going to prison for an extended stay. It won't be at supermax. David Fry will go to a gentler correctional facility where he can receive adequate medical care because that boy ain't right.

According to to tubby, David is a genius who "hacked" the government computers. We don't know what that means exactly, finding the on switch might count as wizardry to him. If he did any sort of shenanigans with government PCs he could be proper hosed.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

One of the "traps" Fry showed us was a bunch of empty bottles and trash scattered around the perimeter, so if the FBI tries to sneak up on the camp in the dark they'll step on noisy trash and alert the patriots. Of course the trash was just randomly thrown around completely ineffectively. It's like they'd seen triplines hung with bottles and cans in movies, but couldn't manage that much effort.

Home Alone reboot looking real bad

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Alan Smithee posted:

Home Alone reboot looking real bad

Shalom Alone

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Angela Christine posted:

According to to tubby, David is a genius who "hacked" the government computers. We don't know what that means exactly, finding the on switch might count as wizardry to him. If he did any sort of shenanigans with government PCs he could be proper hosed.
He used a live-usb stick, and may have looked at goverment files. Being that this is a bird refuge they likely didn't have that great of security on their computers. Sean is a real dumbass so of course Fry's script kiddie antics are going to look like Wargames to him.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Unbootable posted:

Can someone find me the instance where lavoy was going to betray fry and where the bundy boys kicked him out of the truck? I can't find news stories referencing this and I would love to shut down some sovcits.

Here he is getting out of the truck on the night LaVoy died. This is after the women and children (and smart people) left before the 4am deadline. I think there was still about 20 people there at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_cM8kmzxK0&t=268s

It's not dramatic. Dude tells him to turn off the camera to not give away their position. He says he's keeping it on. He gets dropped off on the side of the road.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Angela Christine posted:

What, no talk of the huge protest going on outside the courthouse right now?

https://twitter.com/HGTomato/status/698272494604701698

https://twitter.com/killendave/status/698278750664790016

Second american revolution looking good.

Sometime I want someone to show up to one of these loony protests with a gay pride flag and just stand silently in the "crowd" and nod along with the speakers.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It's Portland so you'd probably have more of the crowd on your side.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Unbootable posted:

Can someone find me the instance where lavoy was going to betray fry and where the bundy boys kicked him out of the truck? I can't find news stories referencing this and I would love to shut down some sovcits.

every time i see sovcit i read it as "Soviet Citizen" in my head and get really confused for a fraction of a second :ussr:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Three Olives posted:

Sometime I want someone to show up to one of these loony protests with a gay pride flag and just stand silently in the "crowd" and nod along with the speakers.

No please, we already have to deal with Milo Yiannopoulos claiming to be a "gay rights activist" we don't need more association with insane idiots :smith:

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

every time i see sovcit i read it as "Soviet Citizen" in my head and get really confused for a fraction of a second :ussr:

in sovcit usa, government obey you!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

David Fry, a 27-year-old occupier from Ohio and the very last protester to turn himself in after intense FBI negotiations, appeared in federal court in Portland on Friday, wearing a green anti-suicide smock

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

In a huge surprise move, the tarptastic 4 have pled not-guilty!

quote:

Oregon militia standoff: final holdouts plead not guilty after surrender
A total of 25 people have been charged in the occupation of the Malheur national wildlife refuge, including protest leaders Ammon and Ryan Bundy

The final four holdouts at the Oregon militia standoff, who are charged with conspiring against the federal government, pleaded not guilty one day after their dramatic surrender.

David Fry, a 27-year-old occupier from Ohio and the very last protester to turn himself in after intense FBI negotiations, appeared in federal court in Portland on Friday, wearing a green anti-suicide smock. Fry initially refused to stand down, telling mediators in a phone call live-streamed on YouTube that he was willing to die for his anti-government beliefs and that he was having suicidal thoughts.

The other three who surrendered on Thursday – the 41st day of the armed occupation – before Fry did are Jeff Banta, a 46-year-old Nevada man, Sean Anderson, 47, of Riggins, Idaho, and his wife Sandy Anderson, 48.

A total of 25 people have been charged in the occupation of the Malheur national wildlife refuge, including protest leaders Ammon and Ryan Bundy, the sons of Cliven Bundy, the Nevada rancher who led a 2014 standoff against the government in Nevada.

The occupiers, who first seized the federal buildings on 2 January in protest of government land-use regulations and the imprisonment of two ranchers, are accused of impeding US officers with “force, intimidation and threats”.

The elder Cliven Bundy was also arrested on Wednesday night, on multiple federal charges stemming from his confrontation with the government two years ago.

Nevada assemblywoman Michele Fiore, a Republican lawmaker and supporter of the Bundys, was at federal court in Portland Friday afternoon – after skyrocketing to national fame for her critical role negotiating the surrender of the Malheur holdouts.

The final four jailed protesters were pleased to see Fiore in attendance at the packed court hearing, said Mike Arnold, Ammon’s attorney, who also sat in on the proceedings.

“They exchanged an emotional moment,” Arnold said, noting that Sandy Anderson was in tears when she arrived. “They blew kisses at one another. I think it gave [Sandy] the additional spirit to get through the hearing.”

Fry, too, seemed to be much calmer than he was during the tense standoff the day prior, Arnold said. “He appeared to be in good spirits.”

Because an earlier indictment against the occupation leaders was initially sealed, Ammon and others have not had an opportunity to enter a plea, Arnold added. At a 24 February arraignment, Ammon plans to plead not guilty, the attorney added.

Outside the courthouse, Fiore dominated a press conference, which included other out-of-state politicians and Bundy’s legal team. Fiore read out a statement from Ammon Bundy, which said that federal agencies have been “taking ranches, mines and properties all over the United States”.

The statement further defended the “hard stand” taken at the refuge[/b], and repeated the occupiers’ claim that the federal government had no right controlling the public land in rural Harney County.

Fiore supported the Bundys in her comments, declaring that the occupiers were arrested because “they exercised their political free speech”.[/b] She also criticized high levels of incarceration in the US and described the protesters as “a bunch of cowboys camping” whose actions did not warrant imprisonment.

When asked if she supported further armed demonstrations, Fiore responded, “Have you seen anyone at the refuge point a firearm at you?”

Moore also defended slain militia spokesman LaVoy Finicum, an Arizona rancher who state troopers shot and killed during an attempted arrest last month on a rural highway near the refuge.

Referencing his experience as a US army ranger, Moore claimed that Finicum was killed in an “ambush”, not unlike those Moore himself had “employed in foreign countries”.

Fiore, who gained attention last year for her gun-filled family Christmas card, was wearing a necklace with a miniature revolver during the news conference. She came close to tears when describing how her experiences as a “mother and grandmother” had guided her through her attempts to talk the last occupiers down.

Fiore earned cheers from a small crowd of around 20 pro-Bundy protesters who had gathered outside the courtroom early in the afternoon.

Waving “Don’t Tread on Me” signs and American flags, the protesters were a mixture of longtime patriot-movement activists and newer converts who had been mobilized by the occupation in Oregon.

Steve Shallenberger, a Portland resident who said he has been involved with “constitutionalism” since the early 1980s, said that his persistent worry was “government overreach”. He also slammed a political system that “only ever offers you the chance to support the lesser of two evils”.

Tom Oreste, also of Portland, said he became suspicious of the government after the terrorist attacks of 9/11 and the official explanations of it “which don’t stack up”.

In the US, the National Suicide Prevention Hotline is 1-800-273-8255. In the UK, the Samaritans can be contacted on 08457 90 90 90. In Australia, the crisis support service
Lifeline is on 13 11 14. Hotlines in other countries can be found here.

No pictures of Fry in his anti-suicide smock. Imagine I photoshopped his face in here.

e:f,b

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Angela Christine posted:

No pictures of Fry in his anti-suicide smock. Imagine I photoshopped his face in here.

e:f,b

That poo poo is humiliating. I'd rather die than be caught wearing some hosed up B-movie sci fi alien toga.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
lol they made fry show up to court in a dress

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Angela Christine posted:

Welp, I guess they didn't take the plea bargain. Commence Operation: Hammer Down.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Slugnoid posted:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Slugnoid posted:

This well of comedy is never going to run dry.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

They put you in one of these if you seem a suicide risk, as if he wasn't

Skyrim cavemen suit

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpiUtIpyQTI

I'm cliven bundy and i'm here to say
we need to prevent the gubmint
from taking all the land away

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Goatfather posted:

David Fry, a 27-year-old occupier from Ohio and the very last protester to turn himself in after intense FBI negotiations, appeared in federal court in Portland on Friday, wearing a green anti-suicide smock

lmao

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Dely Apple posted:

Skyrim cavemen suit

Oh it's the thing Natalie Portman wore in V For Vendetta.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dely Apple posted:

Skyrim cavemen suit

The takeaway here is to never admit you're feeling suicidal.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
How exactly is that supposed to prevent suicide

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I guess it's supposed to be hard to turn any part of it into a noose.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

An anti-suicide smock, Ferguson, turtle suit,[1] or suicide gown is a tear-resistant single-piece outer garment that is generally used to prevent a hospitalized, incarcerated, or otherwise detained individual from forming a noose with the garment to commit suicide. The smock is typically a simple, sturdily quilted, collarless, sleeveless gown with adjustable openings at the shoulders and down the front that are closed with nylon hook-and-loop or similar fasteners. The thickness of the garment makes it impossible to roll or fold the garment so it can be used as a noose. It is not a restraint and provides modesty and warmth while not impeding the mobility of the wearer.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

The Goatfather posted:

An anti-suicide smock, Ferguson, turtle suit,[1] or suicide gown is a tear-resistant single-piece outer garment that is generally used to prevent a hospitalized, incarcerated, or otherwise detained individual from forming a noose with the garment to commit suicide. The smock is typically a simple, sturdily quilted, collarless, sleeveless gown with adjustable openings at the shoulders and down the front that are closed with nylon hook-and-loop or similar fasteners. The thickness of the garment makes it impossible to roll or fold the garment so it can be used as a noose. It is not a restraint and provides modesty and warmth while not impeding the mobility of the wearer.

Ah word, I was sitting there the whole time like "seems pretty easy to still slit your wrists imho"

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

The Goatfather posted:

A simple blue tarp could have done the same job imo

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

None of the media articles even attempt to reference that tarpman was shot and killed while reaching for a gun, it's the dumbest loving thing

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you, Ammon Bundy, for sticking up for the tiny homesteaded family mining operations.

Hazo posted:

None of the media articles even attempt to reference that tarpman was shot and killed while reaching for a gun, it's the dumbest loving thing

I'm pretty sick of seeing it referred to as an ambush. They set up a road block and the militants came to a complete stop for about 8 minutes before deciding to try and plow through. Finicum is 100% responsible for his death and even admitted that's what he was going to do on national television.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ah word, I was sitting there the whole time like "seems pretty easy to still slit your wrists imho"

Well, if you're that bad off, they're going to put you on suicide watch in a featureless room with nothing but you and that smock. The smock also makes things easier to search you, since there's no pockets to hide anything.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Dely Apple posted:

Skyrim cavemen suit

Ha, I've worn one of these before (training for work in the prisons). Not pictured is the way it moves around it; the fabric is this firm, hard nylon that doesn't fold or bunch like normal fabric (this is so you can't rip it). Instead, it folds along those crease lines you see but it feels really funny and when you sit down, the back stays really stationary causing this huge bulge to fold in front of you as the fabric attempts to accommodate the different shape. You also don't typically wear undergarments with it and the way the fabric bunches enlarges the sleeve and side hole in an embarrassing manner when you sit. Finally, the fabric has no friction so sitting down is a pain, you slide off any surface (think of wearing hard nylon plates sewn together, thats what it feels like). If he was wearing an older suit, the velcro will have started to go as well, making wearing it even more of a mess.

In short,

quote:

The takeaway here is to never admit you're feeling suicidal.

Is entirely accurate. I do have a sincere belief that a lot of the procedures put into place with anyone on watch is more to humiliate them into not disclosing their intent in the future. Suicides don't seem to bother prison officers nearly as much as having to put extra procedures in place because someone threatened suicide

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Well, if you're that bad off, they're going to put you on suicide watch in a featureless room with nothing but you and that smock. The smock also makes things easier to search you, since there's no pockets to hide anything.

There's always a pocket :haw:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
http://i.imgur.com/UNhV84R.jpg just becase.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Why do we think these guys even got a plea bargain? I imagine the government has this pretty wrapped up so far, and I don't really see these people getting a break considering the arrogance involved. These people are begging to be made examples of...so why would the government even bother doing that instead of just taking it to trial? They don't want to waste time and effort watching the Bundys pull all sorts of delays and poo poo before they decide to represent themselves?

And ha to Fry wearing a dress. I'm sure he's on something right now to calm him down, and this probably doesn't help his paranoia about being raped in prison via easy access gown.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

crowoutofcontext posted:

A simple blue tarp could have done the same job imo

Stay free tarp ghost

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
turns out fry can't be held to account for his own actions because he's mentally retarped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Looks like Cliven Bundy's pretty stupid, too. He is asking to be represented by a court-appointed public defender, but the federal judge lays down an important fact...

quote:

Nevada rancher Cliven D. Bundy asked for a court-appointed attorney as he made his first appearance Thursday in federal court following his arrest the night before at Portland International Airport.

Bundy, 69, his thinning salt-and-pepper hair slicked back, shuffled into the courtroom, chains at his ankles and wearing standard blue jail garb.

He pulled a pair of eyeglasses from a pocket of his jail shirt and spent nearly 30 minutes sitting beside an attorney, reviewing a 32-page federal complaint stemming from the 2014 standoff at his ranch northeast of Las Vegas.

Assistant federal public defender Ruben Iniguez was appointed to represent Bundy for the day but said his office couldn't continue to represent him because it represents others in the case.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Janice M. Stewart directed Bundy to present a financial affidavit to the court before a court-appointed attorney could be assigned.

"The court only appoints counsel for those who can't afford an attorney,'' Stewart said.

Bundy's request for a court-appointed lawyer sparked outrage on social media, with many questioning on Twitter and Facebook how someone who is so anti-government suddenly wants the government to pay for his legal representation.

Considering that Ammon Bundy and presumably Ryan Bundy have lawyers while the others have court-appointed attorneys and it's obvious that Cliven has money, it makes me wonder if this is some sort of SovCit bullshit, like they don't believe in lawyers or think about sticking it to The Man for paying , instead of not just having the money or connections to get legal representation.

Also, here's Cliven in courtroom sketches...

quote:

Courtroom drawing of Cliven Bundy consulting with assistant federal public defender Ruben Iniguez at his first appearance in U.S. District Court in Portland, February 11, 2016. Sketch by Abigail Marble.

As well as a counterprotester supporting the Bundys' incarceration.

quote:

Scott Phoenix of Newberg brought a sign to the Mark O. Hatfield U.S. Courthouse in Portland, February 11, 2016 where Cliven Bundy is having an arraignment. Kristyna Wentz-Graff/Staff

Cliven Bundy's arrest warrant.

quote:

If convicted, Bundy faces up to five years in prison on the conspiracy charge, up to 10 years in prison on the obstruction of justice charge, up to 20 years in prison on the assault on a federal law enforcement and interference with commerce by extortion charges and a mandatory minimum consecutive seven years on the use and carry of a firearm in relation to a crime a violence charge. The charges could also bring up to $250,000 per count.

So, it looks like Cliven is now looking at anywhere from seven to 62 years in prison and $1,500,000 in penalties, on top of the BLM stuff.

Also, to bring up the conversation earlier, the Bundys may still end up in a Supermax prison. I was looking over the former inmates of ADX Florence a.k.a. "Alcatraz of the Rockies", and Ronald Griesacker, the founder of the Republic of Texas secessionist group, served time there because of his militia movement connections even though he went there for charges of mail fraud, bank fraud, and conspiracy to commit counterfeiting.