Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Superterranean posted:

Play DECj by magic darting everything you see while training only conjurations until you reach xl3, then memorize dazzling spray and keep conj only until xl5, then memorize battlesphere and train only charms until it is castable. Worship vehumet, use his gifts unless they suck, always rest to full many after fights, use conjuration spells on things until they die. Don't fight orc priests if you can run away. Get some stealth and some Dodge after battlesphere is online. Spellcasting for extra spell levels if you need them.

Run away a lot.

Run... away??

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
If vsbe has caused you to forget how to run, I highly recommend formicid fighter of chei. Never run. Never teleport, you know not the meaning of escape. If things get dangerous, the only way out is down. If you lose all hope, then take a time out.

It's not actually as bad as it sounds, dig lets you negate the advantages of polearms, priests, summoners, etc. TD had oft forgotten depths, letting you clear staircases and clouds in addition to the obvious uses.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
Spray also reliably hits multiple targets before IMB does. And the dazzle is only bad when you compare it to confusion ; on its own, it's pretty good.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Dazzling Spray is amazing because it's an HD check; demonic crawlers who have a tremendous amount of MR for their location are much more resistant to Confuse/EH than DS; if the wiki is correct you will have a 50% chance of blinding them. And even if it hits but fails to blind it will still deal irresistible damage. To top it off it can be a shotgun beam, affecting up to 3 different paths.

Don't knock it because it's part Hex.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sage Grimm posted:

Dazzling Spray is amazing because it's an HD check; demonic crawlers who have a tremendous amount of MR for their location are much more resistant to Confuse/EH than DS; if the wiki is correct you will have a 50% chance of blinding them. And even if it hits but fails to blind it will still deal irresistible damage. To top it off it can be a shotgun beam, affecting up to 3 different paths.

Don't knock it because it's part Hex.

Additionally, if you're stabbing or fighting at range, it lets you get invisibility-type benefits against things that see invisible, including both the stab bonus and the 'enemies occasionally target the wrong square' behavior; to a blind target, everything else is invisible.

Dazzle is solid, though short duration.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Well, I just ascended my first Demonspawn after narrowly, narrowly bullshitting my way out of a death on floor 16 or so of zig#4. Apparently this win is (or was) ranked #601 on the leaderboards (for CSZO and/or Trunk specifically I assume), which is a drat sight better than I've ever placed before :stare:

What should I play next, I wonder? I kind of want to go Invocations-heavy; I've never really done much of that.

Sidenote: some guy came in and started rudely spamming predictions of my splat when he saw me heavily Sapped, out of mp, at <60hp, surrounded by heavy hitters, in range of tormentors and hellfirers, and contaminated. I quaffed brilliance, evoked my cloak of the Thief, teleported into an equally bad situation, evoked Wucad Mu, cBlinked my way to the escape portal, and told him I didn't like his defeatist attitude :smug:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 12, 2016

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Zin is pretty fun and I like screaming the bible at evildoers so hard they start killing each other and turning into salt

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Prism posted:

Additionally, if you're stabbing or fighting at range, it lets you get invisibility-type benefits against things that see invisible, including both the stab bonus and the 'enemies occasionally target the wrong square' behavior; to a blind target, everything else is invisible.

Dazzle is solid, though short duration.

Ya, Dazzle is incredibly solid on a hybrid melee/caster or as another option for a stabber early game. I also like the spell on my DeCjs, but it's not as great as you really would rather not be in melee range even with the dazzle debuff. As Sage Grimm and Prism mentioned, it's completely independent of MR, which makes it fantastic early-mid game. It can hit up to 3 targets for 3 mp, does more damage than say magic dart, and fighting a dazzled enemy is much safer for a hybrid not to mention the stabbing bonuses for a stabber.
Finally, it helps immensely against things that have ranged attacks early. Dazzling spray is my go to ability when I see a Centaur early game.

Edit: Oh and one more benefit. Player ghosts that knew Dazzling Spray are huge assholes. So their is that.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 12, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Philip Rivers posted:

Zin is pretty fun and I like screaming the bible at evildoers so hard they start killing each other and turning into salt

HOGl of Zin y/n? The other options I'm leaning towards are Qazlal and Ru.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

What should I play next, I wonder? I kind of want to go Invocations-heavy; I've never really done much of that.
Have you tried Demonspawn of Makhleb?

Angry Diplomat posted:

Sidenote: some guy came in and started rudely spamming predictions of my splat when he saw me heavily Sapped, out of mp, at <60hp, surrounded by heavy hitters, in range of tormentors and hellfirers, and contaminated. I quaffed brilliance, evoked my cloak of the Thief, teleported into an equally bad situation, evoked Wucad Mu, cBlinked my way to the escape portal, and told him I didn't like his defeatist attitude :smug:
I think you spoiled his Schadenfreude-gasm

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Angry Diplomat posted:

Qazlal is another good invocations heavt god but I'm pretty sure Ru ignores invocations entirely.

kaschei posted:

I think you spoiled his Schadenfreude-gasm

That person is me. I'm the person who watches others play Crawl/Xcom/Darkest Dungeon/other punishing games in hopes of getting to watch them die horribly.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Qazlal is another good invocations heavt god but I'm pretty sure Ru ignores invocations entirely.

I had forgotten that. Well, I've been drinking the purple, and...

quote:

You have supernaturally acute eyesight.
You are agile. (Dex +2)
You can translocate small distances at will.
You are resistant to hostile enchantments.
You are robust (+10% HP).
...I'm leaning towards not worshiping Zin this time around. I think I'll go Qaz.

e:

quote:

_k - a potion of experience
You feel more experienced!
Your Armour skill gained 4 levels and is now at level 7!
Your Shields skill gained 6 levels and is now at level 9!
Your Invocations skill gained 7 levels and is now at level 7!
You have reached level 10!
:stare:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 12, 2016

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'm very biased towards VSBe because that's the only combo I've been reliably able to get into extended with for a while now.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

Well, I just ascended my first Demonspawn after narrowly, narrowly bullshitting my way out of a death on floor 16 or so of zig#4. Apparently this win is (or was) ranked #601 on the leaderboards (for CSZO and/or Trunk specifically I assume), which is a drat sight better than I've ever placed before :stare:
The torment resist demonspawn mutation owns so hard for extended, I always end up getting robust (which also owns but not as much)

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18-a0-1300-g6e8322c (webtiles) character file.

ThermosAquaticus the Lord of Darkness (MuNe)       Turns: 44686, Time: 03:16:19

Health: 120/120    AC: 34    Str: 17    XL:     16   Next: 67%
Magic:  29/29      EV: 17    Int: 31    God:    Kikubaaqudgha [******]
Gold:   1504       SH:  3    Dex: 35    Spells: 8 memorised, 10 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis +    a - +9 lajatang (pain)
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    j - +13 chain mail "Cozy" {*Corrode Str+4 Int+3 Dex+9}
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    (shield currently unavailable)
rPois  &#8734;          Spirit   .    I - +4 hat of Ucsonobruc {Int+3}
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    G - -2 cloak of Existentialism {rElec rF+ Dex+6}
rCorr  +          Reflect  +    p - +2 pair of gloves of Tuenoaf {rF+++ rN++ rCorr Stlth-}
SustAt .          Harm     .    i - +2 pair of boots
MR     ++...                    L - +3 amulet of reflection
Stlth  ..........               w - +5 ring of intelligence
                                C - ring "Gaochaxt" {rCorr *Drain Dex+8 Slay+5 SInv}
Mummies are actually good, you guys. I swear it.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Pretty great items for XL16 - I was about to ask if a couple were really worth using by Zot because I just assumed it was a won game. +13 chain and total Dex+23, wow. How much Dodging have you managed?
e: I predict confusion-related death.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

ThermosAquaticus posted:

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18-a0-1300-g6e8322c (webtiles) character file.

ThermosAquaticus the Lord of Darkness (MuNe)       Turns: 44686, Time: 03:16:19

Health: 120/120    AC: 34    Str: 17    XL:     16   Next: 67%
Magic:  29/29      EV: 17    Int: 31    God:    Kikubaaqudgha [******]
Gold:   1504       SH:  3    Dex: 35    Spells: 8 memorised, 10 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis +    a - +9 lajatang (pain)
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    j - +13 chain mail "Cozy" {*Corrode Str+4 Int+3 Dex+9}
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    (shield currently unavailable)
rPois  &#8734;          Spirit   .    I - +4 hat of Ucsonobruc {Int+3}
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    G - -2 cloak of Existentialism {rElec rF+ Dex+6}
rCorr  +          Reflect  +    p - +2 pair of gloves of Tuenoaf {rF+++ rN++ rCorr Stlth-}
SustAt .          Harm     .    i - +2 pair of boots
MR     ++...                    L - +3 amulet of reflection
Stlth  ..........               w - +5 ring of intelligence
                                C - ring "Gaochaxt" {rCorr *Drain Dex+8 Slay+5 SInv}
Mummies are actually good, you guys. I swear it.

drat! That gear!

Even the neg traits on them are mild at worst.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Ridiculous mummy items
Jesus gently caress dude, that gear.

That is the best pair of gloves I'm pretty sure I've ever seen, and your second ring is completely absurd too.

You have 35 dex on a caster :wtc:

Hahaha I didn't even notice the +9 Lajatang of pain, that's even better

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
In addition to all the other ridiculous crap, +13 chainmail with those stats. I wasn't even consciously aware that you could go over +9 on a randart armor.

Congratulations on your mummy you lucky, lucky bastard.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I once had a +10 plate armor with rF+ rC+

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I'm pretty sure I spectated a guy who was farting around in +13 CPA once.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

+11 pearl dragon armour of Creativity {rC++ rN+ Stlth+}

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Well, that's good to know that randarts can generate with good bonuses over +9.

...now if I can ever get one on a character that can use it.

VV. Ya, I was aware you could enchant a plate mail or something up to its base AC. I just don't think I've ever seen a randart with above +9 before.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 12, 2016

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Regular old CPA goes up to +14 with enchant armor scrolls, while Chain mail maxes at +8.

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a +19 randart CPA

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Mystery Prize posted:

How much AC would that give with 27 armourskill? :psyduck:

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

How much AC would that give with 27 armourskill? :psyduck:

If the math hasn't changed since 0.14, about 50 AC from just the CPA :v:

Also, to the dude earlier who posted about Xomscumming a mummy chaos knight: thank you, this is the best thing ever. I was level 12 before I left D:2 because Xom gifted me a +10 randart chainmail and two rods to spam the hilariously out of depth enemies I ran into.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Mystery Prize posted:

If the math hasn't changed since 0.14, about 50 AC from just the CPA :v:

Also, to the dude earlier who posted about Xomscumming a mummy chaos knight: thank you, this is the best thing ever. I was level 12 before I left D:2 because Xom gifted me a +10 randart chainmail and two rods to spam the hilariously out of depth enemies I ran into.

If you scummed enough rounds, the Sequell bot in the Crawl IRC adds Farming to your winning title. It's a medal of honor, I believe.

I'll pass on my thanks to whoever recommended Elf as a third rune, btw:
code:
 52736 | Elf:2    | Cast into level 3 of the Abyss (deep elf blademaster)
 52743 | Abyss:3  | Found a corrupted altar of Lugonu.
 52752 | Abyss:3  | Got an abyssal rune of Zot
Edit: Wizard and Nemelex down! The only combo I have left to knock out both greaterplayer and polytheist is Hill Orc Warper of Beogh (:gonk:)

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 13, 2016

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Mystery Prize posted:

Regular old CPA goes up to +14 with enchant armor scrolls, while Chain mail maxes at +8.

According to the LearnDb the max possible on a randart is +23 CPA. I feel like I've seen the formula for max enchantment on a randart, but I can't find it now, and don't feel like code diving.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm frickin pissed that the singing sword doesn't work with spectral weapon. what the heck

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's intelligent and as such has certain misgivings about wrenching its soul from itself. After all, what happens if it can't get back?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Singing Sword is less powerful than a bunch of other unrands that work with SW. Especially now that Spectral Weapon is worse in trunk(since spellpower matters), I think Singing Sword should absolutely work with it.

It should sing a duet!

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Is there a turn limit in the game? I remember seeing something about that, but I don't remember details.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mystery Prize posted:

Is there a turn limit in the game? I remember seeing something about that, but I don't remember details.

There used to be an absurdly huge one. Probably still is.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Mystery Prize posted:

Two hundred million turns.

code:
        mpr("Outside, the world ends.");
        mpr("Sorry, but your quest for the Orb is now rather pointless. "
            "You quit...");
        // Please do not give it a custom ktyp or make it cool in any way
        // whatsoever, because players are insane. Usually, not being dragged
        // down by sanity is good, but this is not the case here.
        ouch(INSTANT_DEATH, KILLED_BY_QUITTING);
And yes, it has been done.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

IronicDongz posted:

I'm frickin pissed that the singing sword doesn't work with spectral weapon. what the heck

Technical restriction, not a balance thing. Caused by shared code with dancing weapons/Tukima's Dance. A handful of other unrands have the same problem, e.g. Sword of Power.

Probably fixable, but not an insanely high priority, sorry.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's 100% fair.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

When am I ever going to learn? loving red ghost, I run to the stairs, zap it a couple of times, it goes down to 1/3 health, I know I should just go up, but I try zapping it once more, and I'm dead.

What's the secret, good players? After hundreds of games, I keep letting my optimism get the better of my judgement. Am I doomed to suck at crawl or were you the same and eventually learned the lesson on the way to crawl zendom?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Unimpressed posted:

When am I ever going to learn? loving red ghost, I run to the stairs, zap it a couple of times, it goes down to 1/3 health, I know I should just go up, but I try zapping it once more, and I'm dead.

What's the secret, good players? After hundreds of games, I keep letting my optimism get the better of my judgement. Am I doomed to suck at crawl or were you the same and eventually learned the lesson on the way to crawl zendom?

I still gamble a bunch in the early game (which I consider up to Lair:8) because I get exhausted trying to play cautiously early on with characters. With enough experience, you eventually get used to gauging what are safe gambles and what's risky. After that, it comes down to personal tolerance as to how carefully you want to play/what level of tedious gameplay you are willing to accept.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Unimpressed posted:

be like me and play 2,692 games so that most threat levels are permanently drilled into your head and every time you win your win rate increases by like 0.04%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
still gotta win with Centaur, Deep Elf, Demigod, Felid, Formicid, Halfling, Human, Kobold, Naga, Octopode, Tengu, Troll, Vampire, and Vine Stalker for greatplayer!!

e: why's abyssal knight not recommended for troll? it seems pretty good

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 13, 2016

• Locked thread