Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

spectralent posted:

A mix of "whatever's handy" and "whatever's comfortable" then?

Pretty much. You got whatever you could find or the quartermaster could supply you with. Add to that a mix of several types of uniform designs and/or camouflage and you get a mish-mash of stuff anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Improvising and scavaging what you can from the enemy or friend, whether living or not during the campaign is a long and proud military tradtion for every nation or culture.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Buy the book please

100 Years Ago

Zee Germans have learned something from a year and a half of fighting Tommy Atkins: his silly "cricket" game and its frequent pauses for rain actually have something to teach them. They begin a series of rolling postponements at Verdun, with frequent pauses for certain officers to look at the sky, make meaningful noises, consult meterologists/barometers/bits of seaweed, and so on.

Good for me, because it leaves plenty of space free to talk about today's farcical attempt to attack Salaita Hill. Unsurprisingly, it doesn't go well, and the South Africans now know what war is about. (The Baluchis tut irritably and take the opportunity to make a point to their incredibly racist allies.) The Russians push on at Erzurum after literally taking a concrete fortress by charging at it with bayonets fixed; Captain Fred Roberts of the 12th Sherwood Foresters publishes the first Wipers Times (with some truly epic poetry that puts Graves and Sassoon to shame); and Malcolm White goes to see a nice show in Rouen while he waits for orders.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Trin Tragula posted:

Buy the book please

100 Years Ago

Zee Germans have learned something from a year and a half of fighting Tommy Atkins: his silly "cricket" game and its frequent pauses for rain actually have something to teach them. They begin a series of rolling postponements at Verdun, with frequent pauses for certain officers to look at the sky, make meaningful noises, consult meterologists/barometers/bits of seaweed, and so on.

Good for me, because it leaves plenty of space free to talk about today's farcical attempt to attack Salaita Hill. Unsurprisingly, it doesn't go well, and the South Africans now know what war is about. (The Baluchis tut irritably and take the opportunity to make a point to their incredibly racist allies.) The Russians push on at Erzurum after literally taking a concrete fortress by charging at it with bayonets fixed; Captain Fred Roberts of the 12th Sherwood Foresters publishes the first Wipers Times (with some truly epic poetry that puts Graves and Sassoon to shame); and Malcolm White goes to see a nice show in Rouen while he waits for orders.

Wow, the Wipers Times loving owns???

Also enjoying the guy who left his rifle behind at Salaita Hill and had to go back and get it.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Empress Theonora posted:

So, who are some monarchs or rulers of countries who managed to get themselves captured in (or in the immediate aftermath of) battle? Off the top of my head there's Napoleon III, John II of France, and that poor fucker Emperor Valerian, but I'm sure there's more.

There was David II of Scotland, who was captured by the English. Also Richard I, who got imprisoned by the Holy Roman Empire on the way home from Crusades, for reasons of some dynastic squabble I don't understand, and had to be ransomed for an absurd amount of money.

The most humiliating incident must be James II, who was trying to escape Britain down the Thames, and got roughed up out in the estuary by a bunch of fisherman who thought he was a Jesuit. Eventually someone realised who he was, and arrested him, but William III just wanted shot of him by this point, and told his guards to turn a blind eye while he escaped.

Mr Enderby fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 13, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Trin Tragula posted:

Buy the book please

100 Years Ago

Would it be a dumb question to ask why Joffe thought it was impossible for the Germans to attack at Verdun?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Empress Theonora posted:

Wow, the Wipers Times loving owns???

Now I'm getting irritated with myself for never following through on my intention to do bits from the 5th Glo'ster Gazette as well

quote:

Things We Want To Know

Who is the Trench Mortar Battery officer known as the "Dud King"? Is is true that when his Battery fired 16 rounds, 15 of which were duds, the Germans shouted "If you send us over the gun, we'll send 'em back to you!"
Which NCO of 'A' Company sat in a chair in a dug-out for 11 and a half hours without moving?
Who was the Senior Officer, very irate at being an hour later for dinner and completely lost, asked a working party in the trench "Pimlico?" and was answered "No, you want the next bus". And what was his answer, if any?

Those boys really don't like trench mortars; they apparently do nothing but fire a load of duds, skedaddle, and then everyone else is left diving for cover before the enemy can send some rather more explosive Minnie bombs at where the mortars have just run away from.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 12, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Empress Theonora posted:

So, who are some monarchs or rulers of countries who managed to get themselves captured in (or in the immediate aftermath of) battle? Off the top of my head there's Napoleon III, John II of France, and that poor fucker Emperor Valerian, but I'm sure there's more.

Bayezid the First of the Ottoman Empire. By the Mongols, no less.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

Would it be a dumb question to ask why Joffe thought it was impossible for the Germans to attack at Verdun?

Because, were he in their position, it's the last thing he himself would have done; and despite having been thoroughly debagged in 1914 by this line of thinking, he still can't believe that the enemy might do something other than what he'd want to do in their place.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mr Enderby posted:

There was David II of Scotland, who was captured by the English. Also Richard I, who got imprisoned by the Holy Roman Empire on the way home from Crusades, for reasons of some dynastic squabble I don't understand, and had to be ransomed for an absurd amount of money.

The most humiliating incident must be James II, who was trying to escape Britain down the Thames, and got roughed out in the estuary by a bunch of fisherman who thought he was a Jesuit. Eventually someone realised who he was, and arrested him, but William III just wanted shot of him by this point, and told his guards to turn a blind eye while he escaped.

And Francis I of France, who managed to get captured by the forces of Charles V, because Charles is some sort of wizard or something.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Trin Tragula posted:

Because, were he in their position, it's the last thing he himself would have done; and despite having been thoroughly debagged in 1914 by this line of thinking, he still can't believe that the enemy might do something other than what he'd want to do in their place.

What other commanders in history have pinned their careers so heavily on winning a single critical battle and then nothing else? You can just imagine the French government keep looking at Joffre as the Battle of the Marne recedes in the distance and thinking, "Hmmm, maybe, just maybe, this guy is not very good at his job after all."

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

PittTheElder posted:

And Francis I of France, who managed to get captured by the forces of Charles V, because Charles is some sort of wizard or something.

As far as I understand it, Charles V was the guy who won the game of history, and retired to a monastery because there was literally nothing left to achieve. Probably a wizard.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

MikeCrotch posted:

What other commanders in history have pinned their careers so heavily on winning a single critical battle and then nothing else? You can just imagine the French government keep looking at Joffre as the Battle of the Marne recedes in the distance and thinking, "Hmmm, maybe, just maybe, this guy is not very good at his job after all."

At least Joffre has clearly won a battle. The same cannot be said of many of his contemporaries.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ground-Air liaison in the Soviet Army, 1940
According to a US manual

So how exactly did ground forces communicate with aircraft for the purpose of army cooperation? Glad you asked!

1 - Army cooperation aircraft maintaining the link between unit and HQ will bear the following mark

X
X
X

2 - Aircraft communicate with ground units with klaxon horns and lamps. Ground units communicate with smoke, white flags, or tin reflectors (15cms in diameter)

3 - Originally, ground units were supposed to be able to signal aircraft at any time but this was later changed to pre-determined time and location after the former method was discovered to be too difficult and impractical.

4 - As the cooperation aircraft approaches, the ground unit will unfurl a 7.75 by 9.25 meter dark blue cloth which bears the regimental number on it. If the unit is a battalion, it has the same number as well as the battalion number in smaller text bellow the former.

5 - When contact has been made between the plane and ground unit, communication begins with the use of a Popham panel. The popham panel is made of white strips on a dark blue square measuring 7.5 by 9 meters. The horizontal bar of the T is always placed towards the enemy.

Popham Panel in use

6 - The panel is numbered as follows:

1 - 2 - 3
- - - - -
4 - - - 5
- 6 - 7 -
- - - - -
- 8 - 9 -

7 - The code used before the one in the manual is said to have been compromised by deserters during the Polish campaign. The one that will follow was used during the Finnish campaign.

8 - Each sentence begins with I and ends with T.

9 - The Air Force observer records the various positions of the panel on special forms on which the T framework is printed. Messages are brought back to the HQ and decoded.

code:
67 Message Received
6789 Message ended
136 First objective reached
145 Second objective reached
245 Third objective reached
246 Final objective reached
247 Am preparing to advance
248 Our troops are proceeding to _______
567 We have no news of our advanced units
256 I am held up be enemy fire from _______
257 I am held up by wire at _______
578 Advance of left flank has been checked
389 Advance of right flank has been checked
678 Counter attack successful
679 Counter attack repulsed
134 I am moving my headquarters to ______
135 I am in touch with my left flank
137 I am in touch with my right flank
145 I am in touch with both flanks (?)
156 Our forces are near _______
235 Am out of touch with right flank
236 Am out of touch with left flank
234 No messages received from advanced troops
258 I am sending report by pigeon
259 I am sending report by orderly
267 Heavy losses
167 Enemy is located _______
168 Enemy is concentrating at _______
456 Our troops are retiring ________
467 Enemy has penetrated my center
468 Enemy has penetrated my left flank
469 Enemy has penetrated my right flank
456 Enemy advancing
457 Enemy commencing counter attack
458 Enemy counter attack repulsed
345 Barrage not required
346 Shorten barrage
347 Lengthen barrage
459 Concentrated gunfire
478 Artillery fire still required
579 AT guns in action near _______
123 Require reinforcements
124 Stretcher bearers required
125 Rations running short
126 Carrier pigeons required
127 Shortage of ammunition
128 Shortage of S.A.A.
129 Shortage of hand grenades
157 Shortage of water
158 Shortage of Verey lights
1234 Westerly direction
1235 Northerly direction
1246 Southerly direction
1247 Easterly direction
1258 North-westerly direction
1259 South-westerly direction
1345 North-easterly direction
1346 South-easterly direction
The artillery arm had their own codes as well, which go as follows:

code:
2345 Yes
2346 No
2347 Am repeating last signal
2348 Please repeat
2349 I understand 
2356 I do not understand 
2357 Communication established
2358 I am not in communication
2359 Your signals weak
2367 Your signals are stronger
2368 Your signals are good strength
2369 Repeat call sign
2378 Change to wavelength _________
2379 Battery No. _________
2389 Battery has fired one round
2456 Battery not yet ready
2457 Battery is ready
2458 Ranging concluded
2459 Please correct target No.
2467 I am correcting fire by means of my observer
2468 Wait. The battery has ceased fire for a short period only.
2469 Land. The battery has ceased fire.
2478 Change over to dispersed fire
2489 Land. All over
2567 Action broken off
1 - 1
2 - 2
3 - 3
4 - 4
5 - 5 
6 - 6 
7 - 7
8 - 8 
9 - 9
123456789 - 0
12 B
13 W
14 A (?)
15 W
16 W
17 W
18 W
19 E
23 W
24 W
25 M
26 H 
27 K
28 W
29 O
34 C
35 W
36 P
37 W
38 y
39 T
45 W
46 X
47 W
48 W
68 W
69 W
79 -

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 13, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HEY GAL posted:

was he dead by that time or (here's how you know they really mean business) did they keep him alive

He got released after 14 years, so I guess he was being kept alive. :shrug:

There was some mentioning about him being crippled after sitting in a wooden cage for 14 years, though

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

As the soldiers themselves pointed out, Francis I was captured by the forces of Georg von Frunsberg, specifically Cesare Hercolani, Juan de Urbieta, Diego Dávila and Alonso Pita da Veiga. They were all ennobled for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0szqSd0osoE

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Silly question maybe but is this available from the US site or do I need to get it from the .co.UK site?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

not my real name posted:

Silly question maybe but is this available from the US site or do I need to get it from the .co.UK site?

I managed to get it from the US site by changing the .co.uk to .com

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Elyv posted:

I managed to get it from the US site by changing the .co.uk to .com

Thanks for this, and thanks all for the thread.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

feedmegin posted:

Vietnam was an unpopular war which America lost. Not much of a market for people to write their reminiscences in the immediate (call it a decade or two) aftermath, and I guess it's long enough ago now that guys who fought in it don't feel the need to write up their accounts of it decades later, especially as it's still a bit controversial.

That's pretty much the reasoning my father used when I (with HEY GAL's help) begged him to write down his war stories for the benefit of future historians.

But really, Fallout was right, war never changes -- I'm pretty sure dad and his fellow "advisers" would've got along fairly well with HEY GAL's guys. They even had silly clothes! Girl scout hats and boots with dress uniforms, tiger stripe camo in the field, basically the only regulation thing they had were the medals they couldn't avoid having pinned on 'em.

Which, I mean, makes sense to wear "sanitized" outfits in the field when you're up to no good, but he was a white guy in southeast Asia in 1970, maybe at best he could be mistaken for a very confused Frenchman, who the NVA also hated. Though I guess the fact that they all wore the same (locally-made, all labels removed) outfits meant it'd be a war crime to shoot them as spies.

Cyrano4747 posted:

or just give very sanitized versions that are acceptable for telling the family - the sort of humorous old soldier's tales or sanitized versions of key moments and victories that leave out their buddy with his jaw shot off drowning in his own blood.
If anybody with archives wants to look up my old thread of Dad's war stories, please repost the one about Vargas. The relevant line is: "You're not hit! The LT's hit, half his head is gone! Get up!" That's the sanitized version. Now, having talked to more soldiers, I'm pretty sure he actually said "gently caress" every other word when talking to Vargas. To be fair, my family in general are ... not the normal sort of soldiers.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

e: And know I'm on a google memoir spree :whip: Anyone read Burwell Puller Jr. memoirs? I don't care if its good, it's a memoir from a soldier in the Vietnam war titled 'Fortunate Son', wich is so. god. damned. perfect.
Dad really likes that song as well, and CCR in general.

His favorite song of all time is "Bad Moon Rising".

That's what they'd play when putting their war paint on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=424T65BTQTY

Also them's some real unprofessional Huey drivers at 1:12 -- Dad's pilots never touched the ground in the LZ, because might be mined.If they liked him and they weren't being shot at, they might slow down a bit while truckin' along at three feet AGL.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Eh, I'd vote for him.

Anyway, weren't the Sex Pistols half a naked cash-in from the beginning? Maybe it's because I'm an American but that doesn't bother me

Yeah, they were the original boy band, got the job from replying to a newspaper ad,

JcDent posted:

So is it a richman-ish thing? How would an inheritanceless peasant get arms, armor and training?

Other way 'round. If you're rich and don't have an inheritance, you buy your way into the clergy. If only mildly rich, you buy a commission in the military (or Pa buys you your sword and armor which is basically the same as buying a commission later). If second son of a poor dirt farmer, you abscond with your farming implenent and enlist

ArchangeI posted:

By showing up at his local lord, who may be in need of a warm body.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Delivery McGee posted:

That's pretty much the reasoning my father used when I (with HEY GAL's help) begged him to write down his war stories for the benefit of future historians.
and did he? :colbert:

quote:

But really, Fallout was right, war never changes -- I'm pretty sure dad and his fellow "advisers" would've got along fairly well with HEY GAL's guys.
interestingly enough, that reminds me: I study Imperialists (more or less) and I can't remember them putting out any "advisers," but their enemies were definitely those--Richelieu sent some dudes down to Switzerland to "help" the local Protestant population who were being "oppressed by" the Catholic Swiss "rise against their oppressors" and "recover their native freedom." (Etc. I've read the broadsheets.) If you can get it and if you can read French, I recommend "alpins d'autrefois. le campagne du marquis de coeuvres en Valtelline (1624-1627)" by jacques humbert (cahiers d'information des troupes de montagne XXXVI, april 1956, 5-30), republished as "en valteline avec le marquis de coeuvres" (r. historique de l'armee, xiv, 1958, fasc 4, 47-67), which is a nice little study of my guys' enemies. Spoiler alert: lots of malaria, nobody gets payed

There's also a good treatment of the rest of the Spanish Army's Germans in that conflict in Barbara Stadler's biography of Pappenheim, since one of the regiments that was down there belonged to him. It's there I learned that Pappenheim sent a bunch of guys up the side of a mountain to surprise the French from the rear--imagine 17th century alpinism, no specialized equipment, everyone's wearing those ridiculous little shoes. He also used brigantines for river combat during that war. He's not just a dashing cavalryman, according to stadler he was a very imaginative fighter. (And he was flat on his back from malaria half the time he was directing operations!) There's a dude who would have loved your father, I bet.

Edit: Not only did the Spanish Army of Milan's Germans not get payed either, the Duke of Feria attempted, with some blatantly terrible math, to convince Pappenheim that he actually owed Feria money at the end of that war.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 13, 2016

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

HEY GAL posted:

and did he? :colbert:

Nope. He did have a hearty chuckle re: your degree in military history, though.

His too-young-for-Vietnam-draft brother has a daughter with a doctorate in English Lit., so at least I'm not the most useless among my cousins. (As opposed to Dad's older brother, who was an SF officer when Dad was a SGT, and that guy's son was the first Ranger into Panama in '89)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

that's why wallenstein nearly got sucker-punched at luetzen--he thought it was too late in the season to do anything but go into winter quarters so of course gustavus adolphus must have been thinking exactly the same thing
:(

quote:

He did have a hearty chuckle re: your degree in military history, though.
:saddowns:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GAL posted:

that's why wallenstein nearly got sucker-punched at luetzen--he thought it was too late in the season to do anything but go into winter quarters so of course gustavus adolphus must have been thinking exactly the same thing

I'm imagining someone having to sit Wallenstein down and explain, very carefully and slowly, that sometimes, just maybe, people think differently to the way he does

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QlplayAjM4

100 Years Ago

Rain stops play at the Battle of Verdun. Pitch inspection tomorrow morning.

Meanwhile, in London, three familiar names from the Landships Committee pop up again, with a comic-book ridiculous scheme to seize for themselves control over this gigantic order for 100 tanks that's just come down the pipe (after a little lobbying) from the War Office. It literally went as far as being prepared to puncture David Lloyd-George's tyres if the Minister of Munitions had attempted to leave London. Anyway, it does mean that people who know what they're doing will be in charge of the Tank Supply Committee, and I guess we now have a rare example of the second clause of the phrase "All's fair in love and war".

Elsewhere, fallout from Salaita Hill continues, er, falling out; the Russians continue making strong progress north of Erzrurum, Malcolm White has a poignant meeting with some old acquaintances in Rouen, and the Sunny Subaltern makes what is, for a gentleman of the period, an astoundingly good arse joke. (What's even better is the implication that his dear old mother at home in Canada is the kind of dear old mother who appreciates a good arse joke.)

vvv The US military made what seems now to be almost no attempt to control the narrative or content of the journalism coming out of Vietnam. Plenty of people were paying attention to what followed, as this sequence of cartoons by Steve Bell during the Falklands War shows:

http://www.belltoons.co.uk/bellworks/index.php/if/1982/0189-0-5-82_ASKTHEMAJOR
http://www.belltoons.co.uk/bellworks/index.php/if/1982/0190-0-5-82_ASKTHEMAJOR
http://www.belltoons.co.uk/bellworks/index.php/if/1982/0191-0-5-82_ASKTHEMAJOR
http://www.belltoons.co.uk/bellworks/index.php/if/1982/0192-0-5-82_ASKTHEMAJOR
http://www.belltoons.co.uk/bellworks/index.php/if/1982/0192-0-5-82_ASKTHEMAJOR
http://www.belltoons.co.uk/bellworks/index.php/if/1982/0193-0-5-82_ASKTHEMAJOR
http://www.belltoons.co.uk/bellworks/index.php/if/1982/0194-0-5-82_ASKTHEMAJOR

(The obscured text in number 4 says something like "...and a degree of objectivity that the military can never provide!")

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 13, 2016

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Delivery McGee posted:

Dad really likes that song as well, and CCR in general.

His favorite song of all time is "Bad Moon Rising".

That's what they'd play when putting their war paint on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=424T65BTQTY

Also them's some real unprofessional Huey drivers at 1:12 -- Dad's pilots never touched the ground in the LZ, because might be mined.If they liked him and they weren't being shot at, they might slow down a bit while truckin' along at three feet AGL.

Am I wrong or is there a lot more documentary footage from Vietnam than from Iraq and Afghanistan? It seems like the people with the cameras put out a lot more uncensored images from Vietnam and generally had more access to things going on in the field.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

Am I wrong or is there a lot more documentary footage from Vietnam than from Iraq and Afghanistan? It seems like the people with the cameras put out a lot more uncensored images from Vietnam and generally had more access to things going on in the field.

Vietnam and tv journalism was a new thing for the Army too. Theyre better at image management now.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Yeah, they hadn't lost a war against media way back then.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm imagining someone having to sit Wallenstein down and explain, very carefully and slowly, that sometimes, just maybe, people think differently to the way he does

This doesn't just happen to generals. I can't tell you how often I've given that talk at work. Like, once a month at least. I don't think I've found the right words to make it sink in yet :smith:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Armyman25 posted:

I think you're wrong. Look at things like Funker350 on YouTube. Everyone in theatre seems to have a gopro on their head.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Just don't read the comments. Funker350 (and all military stuff) draws awful racists like pond breeds scum.

nuke mudslimes till they glowa than shoot them in the dark americah fug yea

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
There's orders of magnitude more uncensored and professional footage of Iraq and Afghanistan , it just isn't that big of a deal anymore. The frontline episode that covered first cav and the restrepo documentary by themselves probably have as much realistic footage of modern combat as everything from Vietnam put together

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Which is probably why theres more footage these days. I remember the original invasion of Iraq being way more managed.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

JcDent posted:

Just don't read the comments. Funker350 (and all military stuff) draws awful racists like pond breeds scum.

nuke mudslimes till they glowa than shoot them in the dark americah fug yea

Racism? In YouTube comments!?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MikeCrotch posted:

no, that would be against (as he put it) "die ragione des krieges" ("the reason of war" = established military doctrine), which is extremely bad. his opinions are self evident truth, you see

meanwhile, in reality, the reason i like the Gustavus Adolphus / Wallenstein sparring match is how different they are as generals. GA is a proactive attacker, willing to try new things out, energetic as hell, but somewhat thoughtless, while Wallenstein fights as defensively as possible but when he's on top of poo poo is more than capable of outmaneuvering GA on the level of strategy/grand tactics. Wallenstein gets surprised that GA thinks differently to the way he does (Luetzen); GA gets surprised that Wallenstein moves fast enough to end up in exactly the wrong place for him (Alte Veste)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 13, 2016

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

no, that would be against (as he put it) "die ragione des krieges" ("the reason of war" = established military doctrine), which is extremely bad. his opinions are self evident truth, you see

To be entirely fair, everyone would assume that they have found the best possible way of dealing with a situation in their area of expertise. Which means that any other option is worse, and anyone who came up with it is dumber than you. Which is a bad position for any general to take. Always assume that other guy is as smart as you are, and if he is, he obviously came to the same conclusions you did.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ArchangeI posted:

Always assume that other guy is as smart as you are, and if he is, he obviously came to the same conclusions you did.
that's wallenstein's problem though, he was in the process of dispersing his troops into winter quarters because who the hell still fights in mid-November when some of his dudes ran into the entire loving Swedish army which, apparently, still meant business

edit: the problem with this from a historiographical perspective is that to my knowledge no other crazy general gets second-guessed this often by posterity. nobody wonders what patton does and answers that question with his reincarnation thing, but "what did wallenstein think was going on right before luetzen" can be answered with "lol"

edit 2: possibly jackson, but davis didn't have jackson assassinated in conjunction with a bunch of extremely murky questions about his loyalty that historians still can't answer, which does tend to cast a cloud over one's legacy.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 13, 2016

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

Wallenstein knows people think differently than him, but it's worse than that. The problem is convincing Wallenstein and those like him that although people might think differently they might also be correct sometimes. Or - even more challenging - Wallenstein might be incorrect.

edit: probably should've reloaded the page after lunch before replying.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 13, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ithle01 posted:

Wallenstein knows people think differently than him, but it's worse than that. The problem is convincing Wallenstein and those like him that although people might think differently they might also be correct sometimes. Or - even more challenging - Wallenstein might be incorrect.

edit: probably should've reloaded the page after lunch before replying.

he may have had legit problems in that area
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally%E2%80%93Anne_test

which would go along with his sudden inexplicable rages, lack of friends, weirdness in social situations, ability to drive himself very hard in areas that matter to him, attention to small details, toxic working environment, random obsessions (the occultism is not actually what I'm thinking of, that's every early 17th century Central European), good memory, logistical talent, and frenetic energy whenever he's not sick (which was: a lot)

on the other hand, it's possible that he's doing the same thing all rear end in a top hat generals before or since have done, mind problems or not: "a massive ego and unwillingness to compromise have brought me this far! what do you mean i have to change my approach to life and listen to my staff!" i think bewbies said some things on how meritocratic systems select for a certain kind of jerk

from the perspective of almost everyone in the world, all of these guys--like mountain climbers or surgeons--are sure of themselves to an unhealthy degree

edit: Incidentally, astrology had told him before Luetzen that the King of Sweden's fortunes would change suddenly in mid-November.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

he may have had legit problems in that area
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally%E2%80%93Anne_test

which would go along with his sudden inexplicable rages, lack of friends, weirdness in social situations, ability to drive himself very hard in areas that matter to him, attention to small details, toxic working environment, random obsessions, and frenetic energy whenever he's not sick (which was: a lot)

on the other hand, it's possible that he's doing the same thing all rear end in a top hat generals before or since have done, mind problems or not: "a massive ego and unwillingness to compromise have brought me this far! what do you mean i have to change my approach to life and listen to my staff!" i think bewbies said some things on how meritocratic systems select for a certain kind of jerk

from the perspective of almost everyone in the world, all of these guys--like mountain climbers or surgeons--are sure of themselves to an unhealthy degree

I follow this thread regularly so I've seen a number of your posts on Wallenstein and from how you've described him, yeah that's exactly what I was getting at. From the limited amount that I've read on my own, sources describe Wallenstein as a highly organized eccentric with absolutely no regard for the well-being of others. So, six-of-one, half-a-dozen. I imagine Wallenstein gets questioned more because his own side was the one that got rid of him (twice) and at the end just about everyone had a vested interest in pointing out as many of his flaws as possible.

• Locked thread