Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Maels posted:

Ok. I haven't had AVG actually detect anything for over 2 years now so I'll try going Windows Defender only if Avast literally does anything but shut the gently caress up and make me feel good.
Thanks again.

Neither Avast or Windows Defender are actually going to find a virus in time to stop any damage, and even then they probably won't find anything.. Just take Windows Defender for the lower system resource usage and better updating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Going out to get my wife a new Windows 10 device (SP3 if it matters), what's the general flow chart for setting up a freshly-bought Windows 10 to get it as bullshit-free as possible? Due to a special offer we're getting it direct from a Windows store, I don't know if that means there'll be more pre-installed BS or less.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Signature edition means a lot/most of the crap wasn't installed.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

C-Euro posted:

Going out to get my wife a new Windows 10 device (SP3 if it matters), what's the general flow chart for setting up a freshly-bought Windows 10 to get it as bullshit-free as possible? Due to a special offer we're getting it direct from a Windows store, I don't know if that means there'll be more pre-installed BS or less.

Under "update and recovery" in settings, there's an option to delete everything and start over with a clean copy of Windows.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Toast Museum posted:

Under "update and recovery" in settings, there's an option to delete everything and start over with a clean copy of Windows.

Cool, thanks. Is Ninite still the thing for mass-installing common programs on a new machine? I seem to recall using that for my current laptop but that was back in 2010. Is there a better way to set up a new machine nowadays?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

C-Euro posted:

Cool, thanks. Is Ninite still the thing for mass-installing common programs on a new machine? I seem to recall using that for my current laptop but that was back in 2010. Is there a better way to set up a new machine nowadays?

Yes, Ninite still owns.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

C-Euro posted:

They're isn't anything pre installed on the surfaces.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is there a way to automatically play a sound in the preview pane in Windows Explorer (Win7). Or maybe a keyboard shortcut to press play? Selecting a file, then clicking play, seems a bit of a hassle.

Maels
Jan 22, 2004

Rotund Lord of Shit Mountain

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Neither Avast or Windows Defender are actually going to find a virus in time to stop any damage, and even then they probably won't find anything.. Just take Windows Defender for the lower system resource usage and better updating.

#6900 woohoo

The cute lil message (hee hee!) doesn't show up till after you hit send.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Maels posted:

#6900 woohoo

Gross. It only works with their mail module which I don't use, but this is really stupid of them.

quote:

From the version 2016 also if you are using a web-based client (Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, Outlook Mail, Live Mail) in Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer. The only browser in which the Avast signature is not inserted is Opera.

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

Maels posted:

#6900 woohoo

Frankly I feel safer since its against the law for a virus or bad guy to append an identical signature to their malicious emails. So much safer, that I just disable my own scanner when I get an email with that signature.

It's bulletproof, right guys? Guys?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I stopped using Avast after it made two separate Windows installs unbootable. It managed to corrupt one of its own pre-boot scanner files, and the drives were encrypted, so...yeah.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm looking for something that makes printing pictures easy.

It needs to be able to crop images to the correct aspect ratio for common photo printing sizes as well as printing those sizes on larger paper sizes if I want. Any other functionality is not required, but I don't care if it can do other things as long as they don't get in the way of doing that.

paint.net is kind of alright because it opens the old windows photo printing dialog, but AFAICT, it lacks the ability to crop to aspect ratios. Also, the windows photo printing dialog is kind of limited...like I can't select to print a wallet size and a 4x6 on one sheet of paper.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What makes Office 365 special, if anything? I'm looking to buy a Windows 10 machine soon and need Office on it. I have a spare key for Office 2013 and am hoping I won't miss out on anything if I install that instead of springing for 365.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

C-Euro posted:

What makes Office 365 special, if anything? I'm looking to buy a Windows 10 machine soon and need Office on it. I have a spare key for Office 2013 and am hoping I won't miss out on anything if I install that instead of springing for 365.

Well the main thing is you pay your $100 each year to keep Office 365 versus buying Office 2013/2016/whatever for whatever price, and you get access to web-based versions as well. Each regular version of Office will get updated with new stuff untila few years after the next versin comes out, and gets security patches for something like 9 years from release.

If you want to save money, you don't really miss out on anything with just buying a regular version of Office.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

It needs to be able to crop images to the correct aspect ratio for common photo printing sizes as well as printing those sizes on larger paper sizes if I want. Any other functionality is not required, but I don't care if it can do other things as long as they don't get in the way of doing that.

paint.net is kind of alright because it opens the old windows photo printing dialog, but AFAICT, it lacks the ability to crop to aspect ratios. Also, the windows photo printing dialog is kind of limited...like I can't select to print a wallet size and a 4x6 on one sheet of paper.

Would Snagit work?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

fishmech posted:

Well the main thing is you pay your $100 each year to keep Office 365 versus buying Office 2013/2016/whatever for whatever price, and you get access to web-based versions as well. Each regular version of Office will get updated with new stuff untila few years after the next versin comes out, and gets security patches for something like 9 years from release.

If you want to save money, you don't really miss out on anything with just buying a regular version of Office.

Good to know, 2013 it is then. Thanks.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ynglaur posted:

Would Snagit work?

I can't seem to find anything online about printing with Snagit, only stuff about printing to Snagit...

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

I can't seem to find anything online about printing with Snagit, only stuff about printing to Snagit...

You can resize images easily enough, and then print to a printer. Check out the trial version. I do little with photographs and so probably don't understand your use cases but I use it daily for screenshots.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

The old Windows Live Photo Gallery would probably work, and I think Picasa will do this as well, if it's still available for download somewhere.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Does anyone know of software that can scan a bunch of video files for integrity? I copied a bunch of video files from my dying NAS to my new one this weekend, and some of them failed to copy and/or I had to restart the copy mid-file.

I have some 100k files, so I'm looking for a way I can scan each to see if it is corrupted or not, and then dump that to a log ideally.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Gyshall posted:

Does anyone know of software that can scan a bunch of video files for integrity? I copied a bunch of video files from my dying NAS to my new one this weekend, and some of them failed to copy and/or I had to restart the copy mid-file.

I have some 100k files, so I'm looking for a way I can scan each to see if it is corrupted or not, and then dump that to a log ideally.

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but what I'd do in that case is use rsync to copy the files again. It will only copy data that hasn't already been copied.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Another approach would be to create checksums of the files in the NAS and compare them. But that would only tell if the copied files are identical to the ones on the NAS, not if the files on the NAS have been corrupted. MD5summer is one of the better checksum programs I've found for Windows. If you have command line access to the NAS it would probably be best to create the checksums from there.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Good to know, 2013 it is then. Thanks.

The other benefits are a terabyte of cloud storage, some Skype minutes, and access to the office mobile apps on larger screens (like an iPad pro or surface). It's worth it for me to get the storage but sounds like you don't need it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Anyway, quick question related to Outlook notifications (2013.)
1) It seems I'm stuck with it appearing in the upper right corner of my main display? I searched but it doesn't look like I can change the location.
2) Most of my contacts don't have a picture set, and the default Office grey blob is blurry as gently caress in the notification:

Quoting myself here. Here's a comparison of the low-res "generic contact" picture used in the notification vs the high-res one used in Outlook. Both are the exact same size on the screen, but clearly that notification is using some lower resolution source image, or maybe it's just compressing the Hell out of it for some reason?

I tried googling for an answer, but I couldn't find a single result that was describing my problem (other than a previous post I made on Reddit.)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone have experience using Office 2013 over RDP? The host machine is running Windows 7, I'm on Windows 10. It used to be fine, but for the last week or so typing has been excruciating - like 3 second delay between hitting a key and seeing the character show up on the screen. I looked around a little and found a suggestion to disable hardware acceleration in Word, but that didn't seem to have any effect. Any other ideas?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

hooah posted:

It used to be fine, but for the last week or so

What changed?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
There might have been a Windows update to either or both computers in the last couple week, but that would be the only thing I can think of.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Using Windows 10, my start menu doesn't seem to open in any reasonable amount of time after using my computer for some time (and neither does Cortana or Message Center). Restarting explorer.exe doesn't actually work all that well (in that explorer.exe never fully restarts and forces a full system restart). This has been going on for amount a week so far and I have no idea the steps to fix this. I tried messing with the page size for windows, but to no avail.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

I'm currently on windows 10 and have the OS installed on my SSD C drive and all my storage on an HDD (F). For some reason recently windows put a "windowsapps" folder on my F drive and I can't figure out a way to move it to my C drive. It apparently has some absolutely insane level of security on it because I can't change permissions on the folder at all - I can't even open the folder to see what's in it. I tried downloading a program that can delete system files but even that wasn't able to do anything. Anyone know of a way to get windows to move the folder or reduce the security level so I can delete it and redownload it somewhere else? The only solutions I found online were to format the drive and reinstall windows, which seems kind of overkill.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I have an flv and two mp4s (cell phone videos) that I'm trying to put on a DVD to play on a DVD player.

What is the least painful and free way to do this? Everything I have found and done during the past 4 hours has been nothing but a huge pain in the loving rear end.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

QuarkMartial posted:

I have an flv and two mp4s (cell phone videos) that I'm trying to put on a DVD to play on a DVD player.

What is the least painful and free way to do this? Everything I have found and done during the past 4 hours has been nothing but a huge pain in the loving rear end.
DVD Flick isn't awful

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I think Freemake might do DVD burning, along with a hell of a lot of other video tasks.

http://www.freemake.com/

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Vulture Culture posted:

DVD Flick isn't awful

Thats what I use too, but it has occasionally spat out a useless 100mb iso for me with no indication anything went wrong

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

If I were to get windows 7 home premium 64 oem from ekeymarket.com or the like am I basically going to get scammed?

I'm doing a new pc build and don't want to overpay for the os.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

What is a good program to scan to a PDF? Apparently the Win10 "Scan" app doesn't support scanning multiple pages to one PDF.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

tater_salad posted:

If I were to get windows 7 home premium 64 oem from ekeymarket.com or the like am I basically going to get scammed?

I'm doing a new pc build and don't want to overpay for the os.

You always run the risk of getting scammed on those sites, they're often keys from MSDN accounts, with no promise if they'll stay valid, not given to other people, etc.

If you don't want to worry about it pay the difference and get it from a proper source.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

37th Chamber posted:

You always run the risk of getting scammed on those sites, they're often keys from MSDN accounts, with no promise if they'll stay valid, not given to other people, etc.

If you don't want to worry about it pay the difference and get it from a proper source.

Any clue where a good source is I just need the key, ill be setting up the system Monday evening.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

tater_salad posted:

Any clue where a good source is I just need the key, ill be setting up the system Monday evening.

I'd post in SA-Mart. I think I've seen them for $25-$30 there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
What's the best password manager that supports both android (chrome) and windows (firefox) and is free or if paid, really worth the :10bux:? There's so many and I want some goon input.