Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Zhentar posted:

The main problem with ring circuits is that they need relatively balanced current flow on both return paths. A break or high impedance connection in the ring unbalances the flow, potentially causing an overcurrent condition that can't be detected by the breaker, and without any visible fault to occupants. Testing to detect those failures requires disconnecting the circuit from the breaker panel and measuring the impedance between the two ends of the circuit (and even that can fail to detect faults if there's bridging) - and then assuming that the re-connection is performed correctly. Spurs don't have two return paths, so you either don't use them, or use extra copper.

Two 20 amp radial circuits use the same amount of copper as one 32 amp ring circuit (or less, if you make use of spurs). You get more total capacity, and more safety. It costs you one extra circuit breaker, more than paid for by the labor savings.

Also on an imbalance you can turn your wiring into a loving huge electromagnet .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Another one from Reddit

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Someone just realized that people loving using those automatic door openers for when they are lazy/have their hands full/dont want to touch a nasty public door handle.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

So they'll touch a nasty public door opening button instead?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

They'll press it with their butts, like everyone else. Butts are very hygienic.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

You hip-check them.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

flosofl posted:

You hip-check them.

I prefer a groin thrust.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kaschei posted:

They'll press it with their butts, like everyone else. Butts are very hygienic.

My dad took me to work one day when I was a kid. That's how he opened the the card reader door there. Apparently it was too much work to take the card out of your wallet and hold it against the reader panel.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 11, 2016

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

spog posted:

I prefer a groin thrust.

I welcome the button to Sparta.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In all seriousness though there are people with handicaps that prevent them from dealing well with a doorknob or latch handle, but don't prevent them from dealing with stairs. For example, hand/arm amputees, or even just a thumb amputation.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

In all seriousness though there are people with handicaps that prevent them from dealing well with a doorknob or latch handle, but don't prevent them from dealing with stairs. For example, hand/arm amputees, or even just a thumb amputation.

But for some reason it's politically incorrect to put silhouettes of stick figures with no arms, everything's got to be a wheelchair. Time to get specific handicap signs?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

It's a symbol accepted more for its meaning than its actual representation, like the floppy disk.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

kid sinister posted:

Reminds me of the legendary "flush" in NYC after the MASH TV series finale and how it stressed their sewage system.
I don't know about Mash, but here is a graphic about hockey in Canada...
Edit
Edit: the game ended in OT, which might clear things up. It was the 2010 Olympics.

deoju fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 11, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I used to work for Amazon, which very carefully tracks the rate at which orders are being placed. Once got paged in for a massive "order drop", where the order placement rate on the UK and German sites had dropped way below normal. We tested all of our systems, as was everyone else who got paged, we couldn't find anything wrong...then orders spiked back up for a bit before dropping again. Finally someone pointed out that the UK and German soccer (football) teams were having a match in the World Cup. Sure enough, orders returned to normal as soon as the game finished.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

my wife got suckered in to a kirby home showing and the girl basically refused to leave until i got home and told her that my parents would disown me if i bought a kirby since the one my parents bought no poo poo shocked my dad

idk how it happened but bringing up kirby in my folks house was on the same level as denying the holocaust to them

she then started to pack up her stuff and explain that this was a in-between job and that she had an interview with a medical billing company that week.

Our beast of a canister vac likes to signal failing plugs with electrical shocks.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

He outdid himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg3bFxdAZsY

Thermite powered kettle.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That kettle is amazing

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Baronjutter posted:

That kettle Colin is amazing insane.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

wolrah posted:

He outdid himself:

Thermite powered kettle.

I'd still say safer than the Chinese stick electric water boiler.

[edit] https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EViyccc2t9w

Munin fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 12, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Munin posted:

I'd still say safer than the Chinese stick electric water boiler.

[edit] https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EViyccc2t9w

He said he did coffee like the package suggests and it exploded in 5kw of glory

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
http://i.imgur.com/GyvNK8A.jpg
:nws:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

And then he does it one better.

The Thermite Kettle.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Is that wall made of particle board?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Messadiah posted:

Is that wall made of particle board?

Horsehair plaster.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That kettle Colin is amazing insane.

And this is why he is one of the only people I subscribe to on YouTube.

Plus, he is always having SUCH a good time endangering himself and everything around him.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And he's human. He hosed up hard with the toilet loo roll turbine. And he showed the consequences. Love that guy.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Need her number.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

MrYenko posted:

Need her number.

You seem awfully sure it's a woman.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hollow Talk posted:

You seem awfully sure it's a woman.

I'm not, just hoping.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

MrYenko posted:

I'm not, just hoping.

Did you not notice the waifu pillow to the left?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
http://i.imgur.com/jgupAd5.gifv

:suspense:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is he just letting go of the chainsaw?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

GotLag posted:

He leg go in order to grab the rope with both hands.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GotLag posted:

Because that's what is wrong in that video.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

GotLag posted:

A lot of chainsaws have a throttle safety built into the handle, so if you ever let go of the handle, the throttle will drop back to idle and stop the chain.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That video reminds me, I should go check up on what that guy restoring that centuries old german house is up to.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I posted his latest like 3 weeks ago. He is onto the roof.

https://youtu.be/e737lLUPq6Q

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kilo147 posted:

Did you not notice the waifu pillow to the left?

:dogbutton:

I had not.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrYenko posted:

I'm not, just hoping.

It’s from Reddit, 100% male.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

SynthOrange posted:

That video reminds me, I should go check up on what that guy restoring that centuries old german house is up to.

He was starting on the roof