Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Not to mention the el cheapo carbon hoods are much more likely to slap the poo poo out of your windshield at speed.

Or that they are usually made of fiberglass and only covered with one layer carbon

or that they will yellow with time due to UV damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

eyebeem posted:

I hate that I actually like how carbon and/or black hoods look on some cars. Especially white cars.

I've contemplated wrapping the hood of my Abarth, even.

The finest carbon vinyl money can buy.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Wolfsbane posted:

Hey guys, I'm going to install a carbon fibre bonnet and be one of the cool kids :downs:

Just think of the weight savings...

Even if I squint, I can't guess what '24CKK' is supposed to mean

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

MetaJew posted:

Does anyone have a pic of the Forza 4(?) Aventador skin with all the parts labeled a la A vent, A door, A wing, etc?

I swear I saw it on Jalopnik a few years ago, but I can't seem to find it.

Not shown: "A Stig" under the driver side window :v:

First skin I downloaded when I got the game.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Generic Lamborghini.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

spog posted:

I'm pretty sure most countries don't let you order personalized plates

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yessssss. Do you recall what the skin was called?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

The UK does though. That's not a standard format plate, so he paid money to have it on his car for some reason. The image is a link to his build thread if anyone gives enough of a poo poo to go digging. It's probably worth it just for his terrible wheel choices.

e: if you've never seen a DS3 in person, the scale might not be coming through in that picture. The black bit is the only part that opens, and it's less than 2 feet long.

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 11, 2016

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

eyebeem posted:

I hate that I actually like how carbon and/or black hoods look on some cars. Especially white cars.

I've contemplated wrapping the hood of my Abarth, even.

I've got a black bonnet on my car because a manhole cover fell from a garage roof (girlfriends parents house) during a cyclone and it was much cheaper to just have it painted black than to have the metallic silver blended in correctly.

I think damaged paint on bonnets is the number #1 reason why most of them are painted black around here.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Why the hell did they have a manhole cover on their roof? I know you said it was during a cyclone but if the wind was powerful enough to lift a manhole cover out of the street and toss it onto someone's roof I very much doubt a dented hood would be your biggest problem.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

spog posted:

24 Karot Gold muthafukka :whatup:

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
KK would be potassium (twice), though. Gold would be AGAU.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 11, 2016

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Jo3sh posted:

KK would be potassium (twice), though. Gold would be AG.

Silver is Ag
Gold is Au

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Damnit, you're right.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That's going to be expensive

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

spog posted:

I want to say 'ZACK' but with a superfluous T and K.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Why the hell did they have a manhole cover on their roof? I know you said it was during a cyclone but if the wind was powerful enough to lift a manhole cover out of the street and toss it onto someone's roof I very much doubt a dented hood would be your biggest problem.

Im pretty sure he means the little timber or gyprock panel that covers the hole into your ceiling cavity rather than the cast iron bastard out in the street that covers the sewer...

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dissss posted:

I'd say the suspension will be cheaper to fix than the body panel which should just be replaced

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ferremit posted:

Im pretty sure he means the little timber or gyprock panel that covers the hole into your ceiling cavity rather than the cast iron bastard out in the street that covers the sewer...

That makes a lot more sense to me. I used to work in manholes (phone, not sewer), and those covers are loving heavy.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

tobu posted:

I've got a black bonnet on my car because a manhole cover fell from a garage roof (girlfriends parents house) during a cyclone and it was much cheaper to just have it painted black than to have the metallic silver blended in correctly.

I think damaged paint on bonnets is the number #1 reason why most of them are painted black around here.

You did it wrong. All the cool kids sand the paint off then pour lemon juice/pee on the hood so it has a "patina".

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

The Locator posted:

That makes a lot more sense to me. I used to work in manholes (phone, not sewer), and those covers are loving heavy.

I've seen one fly twenty feet straight up during a storm. That was some scary poo poo.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

MetaJew posted:

Yessssss. Do you recall what the skin was called?

Sadly, no. I vaguely remember searching for 'a vent a door' but that was years ago.

Sorry duders :(

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

dissss posted:

my friend saw that happen!

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Sadly, no. I vaguely remember searching for 'a vent a door' but that was years ago.

Sorry duders :(

Oooooooooooooooooooh i get it now!

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

iwentdoodie posted:

I've seen one fly twenty feet straight up during a storm. That was some scary poo poo.

Was it from wind suction, or pressure head from the storm sewer? Either way, pretty loving insane.

https://youtu.be/DmVy9y956Dk

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Ferremit posted:

This is the right of it. We still call those manholes but we basically gently caress up language on a daily basis in North Queensland.... oval office.

veedubfreak posted:

You did it wrong. All the cool kids sand the paint off then pour lemon juice/pee on the hood so it has a "patina".

Actually the sun and lack of insulation under the bonnet was kinda already doing that...

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

NoWake posted:

Was it from wind suction, or pressure head from the storm sewer? Either way, pretty loving insane.

https://youtu.be/DmVy9y956Dk

Pressure from the sewer. It was happening all over the island, few people and vehicles got seriously hurt by them. I had honestly never even considered that happening as a possibility in life.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Pictured: a storm drain during an intense storma Taco Bell customer some time after leaving the restaurant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odbvUh76sJo

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

kastein posted:

Pictured: a storm drain during an intense storma Taco Bell customer some time after leaving the restaurant

hahaha the random "oh my god!" from the guy in a pink umbrella is priceless.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Stay safe parking pawl

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like the morons who drive through anyways.

"Yep this is a place I want to be, in fact I think I'll get closer. There's no way this could escalate without warning."

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

kastein posted:

Looks like it's getting a sloppy enema

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
All this flying manhole cover talk and today in Boston a woman was killed by such a thing. They're saying another vehicle dislodged the cover sending it airborne when It crashed through the windshield of the woman's Honda. Pretty terrible car stuff there. Full story for those interested https://www.bostonglobe.com/2016/02...2ZRN/story.html

They're saying that it was most likely a heavy vehicle, possibly a truck, that dislodged the cover and sent it airborne but they are looking over surveillance footage to try and figure out exactly what happened.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

bigbillystyle posted:

All this flying manhole cover talk and today in Boston a woman was killed by such a thing. They're saying another vehicle dislodged the cover sending it airborne when It crashed through the windshield of the woman's Honda. Pretty terrible car stuff there. Full story for those interested https://www.bostonglobe.com/2016/02...2ZRN/story.html

They're saying that it was most likely a heavy vehicle, possibly a truck, that dislodged the cover and sent it airborne but they are looking over surveillance footage to try and figure out exactly what happened.

Wow... that's, pretty terrible. Not a drat thing you could do about that either if you are the poor person that it flys up in front of.

I'm sort of shocked that they have unsecured manhole covers on an interstate though. Here we don't have any manholes on any of the freeways or interstates, they are only on surface streets which have lower speed limits, and even there, if they are on semi-high speed streets in main traffic lanes they are typically secured, usually with terrible 5 pointed bolts that are always screwed up and a huge pain to get off, but sometimes they are actually welded, which is even more of a pain in the rear end if you need to get into that manhole.

The picture of that manhole cover from the article shows no visible securing points. Still would take some freak set of circumstances to get it dislodged and launched into the air though.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
When I was in high school a teacher at my school was killed when an oncoming truck hit a deer that smashed through her car's windshield on a 4 lane, divided highway. Pretty bad luck, there.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

kastein posted:

On the plus side I bet the undercarriage of that car is spotless now

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I hope they never publicly ID the truck. What a lovely feeling to know you caused someone's death, even though it was by pure coincidence.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

The Locator posted:

Wow... that's, pretty terrible. Not a drat thing you could do about that either if you are the poor person that it flys up in front of.

I'm sort of shocked that they have unsecured manhole covers on an interstate though. Here we don't have any manholes on any of the freeways or interstates, they are only on surface streets which have lower speed limits, and even there, if they are on semi-high speed streets in main traffic lanes they are typically secured, usually with terrible 5 pointed bolts that are always screwed up and a huge pain to get off, but sometimes they are actually welded, which is even more of a pain in the rear end if you need to get into that manhole.

The picture of that manhole cover from the article shows no visible securing points. Still would take some freak set of circumstances to get it dislodged and launched into the air though.

I'm surprised at that too, that there are unsecure manhole covers on such a busy interstate. Supposedly there is an inspection process for all the drains and manhole covers set by the state that happens every 2 years and this cover was inspected in June of 2014 so it was just about due for its bi-annual checkup. I don't know what there is to inspect though if it isn't even held down by bolts or welds. Maybe just the overall fit?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Ether Frenzy posted:

When I was in high school a teacher at my school was killed when an oncoming truck hit a deer that smashed through her car's windshield on a 4 lane, divided highway. Pretty bad luck, there.

Deer are amazing car destroying weapons once airborne. I was behind a Grand Prix when a Dodge Ram hit a deer in the opposite lane of a county road. The deer flew across the road, hit the Pontiac, then rolled over it and went under my car. I got airborne and destroyed my bumper and wheel bearings, the Ram was a total write off, and the Pontiac was missing most of it's front quarter, had a broken windshield, and a creased roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

8ender posted:

On the plus side I bet the car is totaled now

fixed that for you. All those focus need to die.. all of them.