Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
If only you could do the same with Gaia color paints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Revitalized posted:

Anyone else buy gunpla overseas?

Personally? No, but whenever my sister goes to visit her best friend or a friend goes on a study abroad thing I throw some money at them and ask them to be a pal and hook me up.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

aqu posted:

Since most carriers allow two free bags on international flights, I brought an empty suitcase that was largest size allowed without incurring fees to Japan and filled it with gunpla. On my return flight, I took a PG unicorn Unicorn on as my carry-on.
Overall, it was pretty painless.

If you really want to min-max, you could ditch the model boxes and only bring runners back. You would definitely want a rigid suitcase in that scenario.

you can break the boxes down flat and rebuild them when you get home. My brother brought 2 EX-S's home that way and didnt even have to leave anything behind.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Revitalized posted:

The dream is alive!

Visited Taiwan for the first time in 22 years. Hit up the MRT underground mall and checked every single drat store in there. I had just about given up hope and was about to crumble upon my aching feet when I saw it: The MG Jesta Cannon for 1888 NTD. (About 60usd)

Nabbed that poo poo asap.

I'm really tempted to go back and stock up on MG and some HG models. They are all cheaper than in the states... But I'll need to figure out a way to get them back home without negating the savings... Anyone else buy gunpla overseas?

You still in Taipei? Go to this builiding:

http://www.perfectdesignsense.com/martinwandering/various/ximen/wannian.html

There were a ton of hobby stores there last time I was on the island (actually, me buying a HG Strike Noir from a store in Taipei 101 is what put me onto Gunpla several years ago).

I've bought a fair number of kits overseas. The advice given earlier to get the biggest suitcase you can and stuff it with kits works; you can line the suitcase with your clothes or similar items to pad them in the plane's cargo hold. Collapsing boxes is a good strategy if you have so many that you need to, but avoid it unless you are a box collector.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
For a simple colorscheme, the HG rebake uses a lot of stickers. The gimmick is cool though.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
There's going to be a gunpla competition and I'm trying to decide which suit would make a better astronaut mech: the Man Rodi or the Grimoire. It's too bad the Recsnow wasn't made into a kit because that would've been my first choice.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Ka0 posted:

There's going to be a gunpla competition and I'm trying to decide which suit would make a better astronaut mech: the Man Rodi or the Grimoire. It's too bad the Recsnow wasn't made into a kit because that would've been my first choice.

The Grimoire makes a much better spaceman mecha, there's lots of customs with that sort of aesthetic.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Reds posted:

The Grimoire makes a much better spaceman mecha, there's lots of customs with that sort of aesthetic.

I haven't seen the customs but I second this, it just has better proportions than the fat baby Man Rodi

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Now that I know this works, it's time to throw this to the bottom of my backlog like everything else I have.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Diorama with a grimoire in NASA colors and the man rodi in soviet colors

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

mr. stefan posted:

Diorama with a grimoire in NASA colors and the man rodi in soviet colors

Yes, yess I see it. I was kinda of hoping for something more modern, like a Martian spacesuit painted grimoire, but this would also work, I have soviet war decals.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I picked up these microbrush thingies at my local hobby shop - really tiny nylon spheres that hold paint in place for superfine detailing, and holy crap, they make life a lot easier.

So I'm gonna throw $6 at China for $100 of 'em. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...5b-233ab09b15d2

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Sweet, a Zaku Cannon actually showed up on Amazon Prime today.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I'm almost finished with the 1/100 Barbatos. If this is how that scale is handled from now on, Im excited. That kit it way better than the HG.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Considering trying an MG. Any suggestions of new/modern designed kits? I tend to gravitate towards kits that aren't the "standard" rx-78 + wings/big guns/bling type of designs.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

People seem to really love the MG Sazabi Ver.Ka.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Considering trying an MG. Any suggestions of new/modern designed kits? I tend to gravitate towards kits that aren't the "standard" rx-78 + wings/big guns/bling type of designs.

just finished the mg turn x, it was a fantastic kit.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

PaintVagrant posted:

You can't go wrong with MG Turn A Gundam.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

The MG Jesta is a brilliant build.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

DigitalRaven posted:

Ooh I think we have a winner.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
gundam x Gundam X GUNDAM X

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Ignimbrite posted:

This but 100 times louder.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ignimbrite posted:

Please don't post robosexual clone slash pairings in the Gunpla thread!

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Please don't mobile suit shame

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Ignimbrite posted:

Please don't mobile suit shame

The O is not a healthy mobile suit design.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Reds posted:

The O is not a healthy mobile suit design.

Four arms good. Two arms bad.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ignimbrite posted:

Excellent recommendation as always BlitzBlast... hey wait a minute.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Anyone have any strong feelings about/between the following?

Zaku F2000

Zaku Warrior Live Concert Version

Zaku I Thunderbolt Version

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
They're all great designs, but the Zaku Warrior is a pretty old kit

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

Anyone have any strong feelings about/between the following?

Zaku F2000

I don't know what this is. What is this. Who do I have to do horrible things to to get a first, second, third, fourth, or fifth party MG of this? Holy poo poo. :flashfap:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
1000 times better than the Zaku II F2 is what it is. It also has two extra arms in its backpack to hold more weapons.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Meer's ZAKU Warrior (don't forget the caps!) is hilarious, but super old. Zaku F2000 is great, but never gets a very big production run so it's super expensive. Zaku I Thunderbolt is cool, and is one of the less popular TB kits so you probably won't get overcharged for it at the moment.

So what I'm saying is go Thunderbolt.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
My wife built an F2000 and I was unimpressed by its posability and its ability to not have random bits fall off.

We both like the design though.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Cat Hatter posted:

My wife built an F2000 and I was unimpressed by its posability and its ability to not have random bits fall off.

We both like the design though.

The F2000 is everybody's favourite brick.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Reds posted:

The F2000 is everybody's favourite brick.

The Nightingale is my favorite brick. :colbert:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Be advised that the Thunderbolt Zaku I is sticker hell.

F2000 recently got a repop so it may still be available for non-extortionary prices somewhere.

MG The-O is my favorite brick. All ze power is in ze rear end, you know.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Zaku II F2 is the quintessential Zaku II and I'll not have anyone saying bad things about it. :colbert:

F2000 is cool, though.

Don't buy old Thunderbolts kits right now, Bandai are making a bunch of new ones to go with the show.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

DigitalRaven posted:

Pretty much this. It was a brilliant introduction of modern MG for me.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The Zaku II F2 is the quintessential Zaku II and I'll not have anyone saying bad things about it. :colbert:

F2000 is cool, though.

Don't buy old Thunderbolts kits right now, Bandai are making a bunch of new ones to go with the show.

No, they were releasing an "anime colours" version of the Zaku and Gundam, which have absolutely negligible differences in colour (as far as I could tell, maybe they have slightly different shades or something) and no difference in engineering. The only differences I was able to find on both of them were different stripes on their guns. And I think they might be P-Bandai anyway.

They're making MGs, sure, but that's an entirely different matter. Hold out for those if you prefer 1/100, I guess.

Reds fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Bits falling off the F2000 is actually an accurate feature.