Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I would be astonished if it is at all relatable to theology.

Co-author of Principia Mathematica, pretty big in theology.

Look you bastards, is there anything you are willing to be for?

By that I mean: is there anything you live your life for, or would give your life for?

Oh nothing rises to the level of belief, blah, blah, blah, bullshit. Do you live for your family? Would you die for a (or your) child? What do you risk spending the life you have on?

It's not a matter of oh I either know or do not know this or that be true. It's what will I risk myself for? I don't think anybody can really choose nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Well sure, atheism isn't for anything, so it not being a positive choice means you shouldn't use it as a kind of primary identifier, merely like a kind of property.

I'm personally for humanity, my greatest regret is that I'll have to marry one person instead of everyone. So I guess that's, uh, humanist? Ignoring the other philosophical assumptions of humanism-the-enlightenment-philosophy. Though not really sure what that has to do with discussions about metaphysics, seems more like ethics to me.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

rudatron posted:

Though not really sure what that has to do with discussions about metaphysics, seems more like ethics to me.

It's an ontological question. What do you exist for?

rudatron posted:

so it not being a positive choice means you shouldn't use it as a kind of primary identifier, merely like a kind of property.

merely a property, merely a what it is? Merely a description of what the people to who use it to identify as should be thought of?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Well 'exists for' assumes a teleology exists and is well-defined, and that's not necessarily the case. Absent that, it's an ethics discussion. Moreover, a 'property' is a descriptive label, but that's not the same as a (primary) identifier. Identifiers are used to group things together, and you can of course relate that to properties, but each relation itself will embed a subjective valuation. So whether you identifier 'apples' as primarily 'green' or 'food' depends on which you value as the more useful taxonomy, in the context you're working in. So in this discussion, you'd identify as either atheist or theist, but in normal social interactions, 'atheist' tells you jack poo poo about that person really believes, as you correctly point out.

Like, okay, here's a thought I want you to entertain: purpose is not necessary for motion, that includes both people and objects.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 13, 2016

bij
Feb 24, 2007

You can reduce a god down to some nebulous and esoteric thing that exists without observable, let alone testable characteristics but I question why anyone would bother. If you believe in that god it doesn't matter because that god doesn't have any books instructing its followers to do anything. The Abrahamic god, however, is stuck in books laden with descriptions of events that didn't happen and people that didn't exist along with a bunch of rules that are incompatible with being a decent person in the 21st century. Luckily, people are happy to ignore the nastier bits in favor of a diluted half-assed approach so they can exist with other people. Unfortunately a lot of people spend money to inflict their lovely beliefs on other people and poison society in the name of their regressive make-believe.

The Earth wasn't created 6000 years ago.
There wasn't a talking snake in a garden or a magic apple.
There was no great flood and no ark to float in it.
The Jews were not enslaved in Egypt (a related group may have been at some point)
Jesus is, at best, an amalgam of a bunch of holy men and prophets.
The Abrahamic god doesn't exist and that's good because it's a loving dick.

The gods of other religions aren't relevant enough in my day to day life for me to care but they're also pretend.
Boohoo, atheists on the internet are mean.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

We need to bring back the bad rear end gods who lived on top of mountains or like on an everliving tree or some poo poo who brutally smite people who talk poo poo about them and are expert pickup artists

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Well no, genesis isn't actually true, but people believed it because it spoke to them - the trick is recognizing why it did that, and what that 'speaking' actually means, instead of just assuming it's a supernatural entity.

So, let me hypothesize: genesis is symbolic of the growth from childhood to adulthood. Children don't know the difference between right and wrong, they definitely act as if they will live forever (even if they're not technically immortal), the snake and getting kicked out represents humans coming to terms with the fact that they will eventually die, that entropy will eventually consume all. The garden of Eden wasn't a real place, never was, but as a symbol of blissful ignorance it works quite well. Which, weirdly, means that the snake is the good guy, representing the inner critic that tries and gets you to face reality and stopping running away.

/\/\ This reading removes utterly any supernatural significance, but rescues any positive message you could get from it. I said ti before and I'll say it again, the replacement for religion isnt' atheism, but psychoanalysis.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Looking forward to 2500 when Muhammad stops being a real person

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

rudatron posted:

Like, okay, here's a thought I want you to entertain: purpose is not necessary for motion, that includes both people and objects.

Does any of this matter if we move in the same direction. Does it matter if I think purpose is necessary for motion and you do not, if the motion is in the same direction: for humanity?

I have to go back to stowing explosives. :(

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

Does any of this matter if we move in the same direction. Does it matter if I think purpose is necessary for motion and you do not, if the motion is in the same direction: for humanity?

I have to go back to stowing explosives. :(

Does it matter if you stow them or leave them next to a burning oil can, as long as we are moving in the same direction: for humanity?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The snake in Eden was often depicted as a half-woman naga monster in medieval and renaissance art.

She also might be Lilith, Adam's first wife. Messy divorces transcend the bounds of time.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

rudatron posted:

Well no, genesis isn't actually true, but people believed it because it spoke to them - the trick is recognizing why it did that, and what that 'speaking' actually means, instead of just assuming it's a supernatural entity.

So, let me hypothesize: genesis is symbolic of the growth from childhood to adulthood. Children don't know the difference between right and wrong, they definitely act as if they will live forever (even if they're not technically immortal), the snake and getting kicked out represents humans coming to terms with the fact that they will eventually die, that entropy will eventually consume all. The garden of Eden wasn't a real place, never was, but as a symbol of blissful ignorance it works quite well. Which, weirdly, means that the snake is the good guy, representing the inner critic that tries and gets you to face reality and stopping running away.

/\/\ This reading removes utterly any supernatural significance, but rescues any positive message you could get from it. I said ti before and I'll say it again, the replacement for religion isnt' atheism, but psychoanalysis.

It speaks to people because as children they were drilled with such fairy tales and told that if they didn't believe they'd go to hell.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Flowers For Algeria posted:

It speaks to people because as children they were drilled with such fairy tales and told that if they didn't believe they'd go to hell.

*tips fedora*

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

rudatron posted:

I'm not entirely sure what point you're trying to get across here, despite that last sentence.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If you prefer, simply pretend there is no point. It's not like this thread was ever anything serious anyway.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

But it's more than just a random collection of letters! It has structure, at the very least, you need to explain why it ever appealed to anyone at all, and why it might continue to be popular, instead of just randomly fluctuating like genetic drift.

Re BrandorKP, in pure consequential terms, there is no difference in destination, but the eternal question is always which direction, and that is not so easily divorced from your frame of reference. The dimensions you can see and those you can't, how you judge success or failure as you travel, how you see your starting and endpoints - these aren't irrelevant details, they are as much a part of the process as actually moving.

Secretly, I'm not terribly interested in changing your opinions, I like having someone somewhat obscure I can just bounce metaphors off of. So don't let my words tickle your, uh, theological angst you have going.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Feb 13, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

rudatron posted:

I prefer to read the creation story as a metaphor for early man gaining his sentience. Of course the Garden wasn't a real place, but it represents humanity in a metaphorical state of nature without the capacity to do wrong. Fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil gives man his sentience, but makes him aware of three things: his mortality, his inadequacy (shame of nakedness) and injustice (God's punishment of Eve.)

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 13, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BrandorKP posted:

It's an ontological question. What do you exist for?

merely a property, merely a what it is? Merely a description of what the people to who use it to identify as should be thought of?

As in, like, I am an atheist, I can't really deny that, but it's not what defines me as a person. Any more than "shoe wearer" defines me as a person.

Yes it's quite important if you think about it and my life would be very different if it wasn't the case, but it's not what I really consider the definition of me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BrandorKP posted:

Co-author of Principia Mathematica, pretty big in theology.

Look you bastards, is there anything you are willing to be for?

By that I mean: is there anything you live your life for, or would give your life for?

Oh nothing rises to the level of belief, blah, blah, blah, bullshit. Do you live for your family? Would you die for a (or your) child? What do you risk spending the life you have on?

It's not a matter of oh I either know or do not know this or that be true. It's what will I risk myself for? I don't think anybody can really choose nothing.

I have lots of beliefs. None of them include a god existing. So kindly gently caress off.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
It seems you guys are trying to derail a bit here so if I can I'd like to draw your attention back to the original problem, which is determining whether atheism is actually something you choose, or something that is an inescapable conclusion of certain conditions. I'm asking then if it's like homosexuality.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
We answered that pages ago, dude. Now I want to know if Brandor is going to try and pull his usual bullshit of trying to pretend that if I have any beliefs at all then I de facto believe in the ~<3~Logos~<3~

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

If you don't believe in the metaphysical then you don't believe in anything.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

les fleurs du mall posted:

It seems you guys are trying to derail a bit here so if I can I'd like to draw your attention back to the original problem, which is determining whether atheism is actually something you choose, or something that is an inescapable conclusion of certain conditions. I'm asking then if it's like homosexuality.

It depends entirely on your definition of atheism, which is kinda the point.

The underlying question you're asking seems to be "can someone develop a cultural belief without firsthand experience", and that is a very hard question to answer. There are multiple examples of the same cultural belief popping up independently across societies (like patriarchy, racism, etc). This seems to suggest that there are elements of humanity which cause those beliefs to appear.

If anything, the opposite of your hypothesis seems to be accurate - people engage in (for lack of a better term) "magical thinking" across all societies, even people/societies that are nominally "atheist". So really, being atheist is the aberration rather than the default. This again, depends on your definition of atheism.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Nobody can choose anything, everything is determined.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Belgian posted:

Nobody can choose anything, everything is determined.

But what if you don't know what's been determined?! :rolleyes:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure you can choose to either believe or disbelieve. What complicates matters is that we tend to take people at their word when they say they believe in a god, even though most people's religious belief is not reflected in their conduct. Except for fundamentalism and other practices we'd call fanatical, religious belief in the modern age is generally quite shallow and cursory, and outweighed by the wonders of science. So people say "yes I believe in God" or "I'm saved" but come on, you know that often enough they are grappling with the same existential dread as the rest of us. Sometimes they can't maintain the facade of belief and rather than just calling them atheists who lie a lot to themselves and others, we say they're having a "crisis of faith."

As for choosing atheism, I don't know. I get the impression that there are not too many atheists out there who periodically struggle with the concern that maybe God or hell is real. After all, those are ridiculous concepts which have been eclipsed by science and modernity; so while the nominally religious person may struggle to pretend that God is real, atheists don't have to struggle as much to maintain their understanding that the universe is without meaning and death is eternal. Because that makes sense.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
Atheism is the innate default but you also can't choose what to believe. Now that we're on page 10 this post is kind of a waste of space but hey
:wom:

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Who What Now posted:

But what if you don't know what's been determined?! :rolleyes:

Well of course you / any human don't know what's been determined but that doesn't matter to the universe or the question that's been posed.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
yes, op

Answered, next thread

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

back to the original problem, which is determining whether atheism is actually something you choose, or something that is an inescapable conclusion of certain conditions. I'm asking then if it's like homosexuality.
As with all Nature vs Nurture questions, the answer usually lies in psychoanalysis.

SedanChair posted:

I get the impression that there are not too many atheists out there who periodically struggle with the concern that maybe God or hell is real.
Why do you think atheism is so gold-danged convenient?

SedanChair posted:

A nominally religious person may struggle to pretend that God is real, atheists don't have to struggle as much to maintain their understanding that the universe is without meaning and death is eternal. Because that makes sense.
"If it don't make dollars, it don't make sense" yo, am I right? Seriously though people have religious struggles and crises with what they put their faith into all the time, regardless of the who/what/where/why&how's of that person's particular set of beliefs, religious or otherwise.

Potential BFF posted:

You can reduce a god down to some nebulous and esoteric thing that exists without observable, let alone testable characteristics but I question why anyone would bother.
How about :
"Thou art god,"
from Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land, followed by:
"So I thought up the world, and you did too,"
from Jim Morrison / The Doors' "In the Eye of the Sun."
Try bothering now, buddy. There are a lot of ways for a loving god to make the world a better place!

Potential BFF posted:

The Earth wasn't created 6000 years ago.
Nope, turns out we're also completely unsure how long human societies have successfuly existed on this planet before now, but we're finding that civilizations were existing way longer than 6,000 years ago from now that's for goddamn sure.

Potential BFF posted:

There wasn't a talking snake in a garden or a magic apple.
Of course there was/is! This is a Creation Myth we're talking about here, not a factual account by any means! There's always gonna be a land-before-now, a proto-man's emergence & creation of order upon nature, a trickster-tester figure setting complications out before them, usually involving some irresistible object of strange and forbidden qualities. Everyone gets to have their own vague definition of what each symbol can mean for them - it's great! It says so much about the human code.

Potential BFF posted:

There was no great flood and no ark to float in it.
The region under the Mediterranean sea wasn't always wet, you know. Also - again - thinking in symbols here: Picture *Earth* the planet as our Ark, which contains all known plant and animal life to date and just allow yourself to envision the cold, uncaring death of *Space* as the biblical flood we're still in escape from, only this time we truly know how momentary and infinitesimally speck-like we are in this existence, swirling endlessly around the massive helical drain plug we call the Milky Way. We can at the very least learn to respect the immense power behind nature's forces and to respect all efforts to preserve natural habitats and their denizens' way of life.

Potential BFF posted:

The Jews were not enslaved in Egypt (a related group may have been at some point)
No I'll bet a lot of them worked a fair share and got paid for it too, and no you're right not all Jews were living in Egypt at the time either.

Potential BFF posted:

The same could be said about Shakespeare too. It's almost, like, maybe there's a little bit of Christ in each and every one of us??? Maybe Jesus was just a man too, as divine as you or me or the rest of any of us can be, and that his public sacrifice actually really has improved the state of affairs in society over the long term until a day like this could exist where you don't have to hope away a headache or a simple infection or that there's a million possible ways to answer life's questions now.

Potential BFF posted:

The Abrahamic god doesn't exist and that's good because it's a loving dick.
That god hates figs, man. Good.

Potential BFF posted:

The gods of other religions aren't relevant enough in my day to day life for me to care but they're also pretend.
Boohoo, atheists on the internet are mean.
:reject:

Control Volume posted:

We need to bring back the bad rear end gods who lived on top of mountains or like on an everliving tree or some poo poo who brutally smite people who talk poo poo about them and are expert pickup artists
Sorry god-ladies, but I've just recently married :smaug:

rudatron posted:

This guy gets it. You get relative humanism. Thanks for sharing with us your interpretations of an ancient human metamyth. Nice that you include the snake (often called Lucifer, or the Light-bringer) being mistaken for the bad guy, when what it is he offered was the gift of knowledge and self-awareness, but at great cost.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Potential BFF posted:

Actually, this is a pretty good example of a myth that atheists perpetuate even in the face of evidence.

It relates back to how "atheists" in Western society are more accurately "anti-Christians", in that they are a reaction to Christianity rather than an independent movement.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 13, 2016

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

People can't really choose to be convinced by an argument. People can pick which arguments they hear or consider.

So, the atheism itself isn't a choice. But it's often the result of a people choosing to think about their religious doubts.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

computer parts posted:

Actually, this is a pretty good example of a myth that atheists perpetuate even in the face of evidence.

It relates back to how "atheists" in Western society are more accurately "anti-Christians", in that they are a reaction to Christianity rather than an independent movement.

Hold on a minute I thought that Atheists in western society were driven by a tooth gnashing racist hatred towards Muslims and gave Christians a free pass.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

khwarezm posted:

Hold on a minute I thought that Atheists in western society were driven by a tooth gnashing racist hatred towards Muslims and gave Christians a free pass.

Correct. They hate Muslims because of racism. They hate Christians because gently caress You Dad.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

computer parts posted:

Correct. They hate Muslims because of racism. They hate Christians because gently caress You Dad.

Ooooh, this is good! More please!

How do I hate fundamentalist Hindus and woo-soaked supernatural/spiritualists? Maybe a tangent on Scientology if time permits.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 13, 2016

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

rudatron posted:

The Kingfish posted:

I prefer to read the creation story as a metaphor for early man gaining his sentience. Of course the Garden wasn't a real place, but it represents humanity in a metaphorical state of nature without the capacity to do wrong. Fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil gives man his sentience, but makes him aware of three things: his mortality, his inadequacy (shame of nakedness) and injustice (God's punishment of Eve.)

Both interpretations are perfectly valid. The Garden of Eden myth is about gaining self-awareness at the cost of a loss of innocence. It's a narrative that applies to the life of an individual in microcosm just as it applies to the life of a species in macrocosm.

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

This guy gets it. You get relative humanism. Thanks for sharing with us your interpretations of an ancient human metamyth. Nice that you include the snake (often called Lucifer, or the Light-bringer) being mistaken for the bad guy, when what it is he offered was the gift of knowledge and self-awareness, but at great cost.

The Christian story of the fall of man has striking parallels with the Greek myth of Pandora. Pandora plays the role of Eve, the first woman, molded out of the clay of the earth, whose actions lead to the introduction of evil into the world. Epimetheus plays the role of Adam, whose survey of the animals of the earth culminates in a shortfall, and who is ultimately complicit in the introduction of evil into the world as a result of his succumbing to temptation. Prometheus plays the role of the serpent, altruistically bringing forbidden knowledge to humanity and incurring the wrath and punishment of divine forces.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Berk Berkly posted:

Ooooh, this is good! More please!

How do I hate fundamentalist Hindus and woo-soaked supernatural/spiritualists? Maybe a tangent on Scientology if time permits.

Another telling sign of atheism not being the "default" is that people take offense when I describe the group.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

computer parts posted:

In keeping with my assertion that atheism is only a descriptor of an aspect of a person and not a solid basis for a personal identity, can we rename people like this "knobheads"?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

computer parts posted:

Another telling sign of atheism not being the "default" is that people take offense when I describe the group.

Nah, you're pretty spot on, lots of atheists are bigoted assholes. Doesn't make atheism not the default, though.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Who What Now posted:

Nah, you're pretty spot on, lots of atheists are bigoted assholes. Doesn't make atheism not the default, though.

The only moral default is my default.

*Spikes the mic down, causing it to rebound into my face and blind one eye*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Claiming atheism is the default as some obvious thing is utter insanity as religion has been with us since the beginning of humanity or at least as far as we can trace back information.

• Locked thread