Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Drakes posted:

Capping is a secondary objective, usually done by lights to divert attention from the frontlines when you charge in and shoot the enemy in the butt. Anything outside of murderball/turtling is disasterous with how passively pubbies play. But tapping the cap briefly then running off can be good for drawing acouple mechs from the frontlines.

Still prefer maps with caps than plain skirmish, I just hate how slow people can play when the only things to worry about are cover and shooting mans.

Remember the days when you could just shut off skirmish entirely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I really dont know.
On one hand, its absolutly ridiculous and i cant imagine a business plan that relies on selling 50 dollar spitfires or 40 dollar armor reskins.
On the other hand, everyone in the business works like that.

So either research shows that people are completly loving pants-on-head retarded and really pay these prices en masse, not one out of every 100 mind you, i mean like 1 out of 3.
I mean gently caress, why would you buy one spitfire in warthunder for the price that would get you the witcher 3 at release? Its simply beyond me. Am i that strange?

To be absolutely blunt it's an issue with 90s grad school marketing strategy on Niche Markets vs f2p markets and nascent "micro transactions" and what that actually means.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I think I remember a post by Gabe Newell how they ran some experiments on steam and started dropping prices by half. The amount of money they made went up, so the dropped it by half again. They made even more money again. They kept doing and making more and more money.

I'll see if I can find it.

e: http://www.geekwire.com/2011/experiments-video-game-economics-valves-gabe-newell/

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

starkebn posted:

I think I remember a post by Gabe Newell how they ran some experiments on steam and started dropping prices by half. The amount of money they made went up, so the dropped it by half again. They made even more money again. They kept doing and making more and more money.

I'll see if I can find it.

e: http://www.geekwire.com/2011/experiments-video-game-economics-valves-gabe-newell/

19, please rub this all over your coworkers faces.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
I will never buy a 50 dollar mech, but I would buy more than ten 5 dollar mechs.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Stalker or King Crab? I'm liking the little kid bambambam from the Trial crab, but I hear the Stalker's pretty good too.

Still waiting for a GIRL invite - game name is Slobbergoat.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

http://metamechs.com/mwo-guides/is-master-guides/griffin/
This thing says the 3m is just hands down the best, don't ever sell the 3m, and he didn't feel like doing a writeup on the 2n yet. Is ECM a crutch? Should I get that radar deprivation and learn to be patient with the 3m or is it fine to want to be missile repellent? All I see that's different is a bunch more component armor in the 3m.
I have five mech bays, i'm all full up, I had enough XP lying around to get all the 3m elite skills. If I think the 2n is my favorite I sure would like to free up a mech bay and get a cheetah or something.

Which do I sell and which do I keep? 1n is just weird and I'm going to toss it once it's elite'd out. Maybe even before then.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

JacksAngryBiome posted:

I will never buy a 50 dollar mech, but I would buy more than ten 5 dollar mechs.

Is what im saying, but THEY DONT LISTEN.
The world would be a better place if all mtx was below 5 bucks.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Is what im saying, but THEY DONT LISTEN.
The world would be a better place if all mtx was below 5 bucks.

I think the problem may be that they've charged people the high price for so long that they're scared of the backlash from whales if they drop prices across the board.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

I think the problem may be that they've charged people the high price for so long that they're scared of the backlash from whales if they drop prices across the board.

On the other hand, how much money do you lose if someone who has bought virtually everything leaves?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Yolomon Wayne posted:

On the other hand, how much money do you lose if someone who has bought virtually everything leaves?

I'm not saying it's smart.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It pains me to see how much many games are NOT achieving these days, by virtue of unadultered greed/stupidity.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Fil5000 posted:

That maybe apart of it, I kinda feel mech games have become quite niche over the years. And niche games are where they can really gouge die-hard fans/grognards.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Concerning the event, anyone have the 30kmdd yet?
id like to know if i should chase it or not.

e:

quote:

Valentines Challenge - Faction Play - 1000gxp
Valentines Challenge - Quick Play - 1m cbills
Valentines Challenge - Private Match - Hula Girl
Valentines Challenge - Kills Most Damage Dealt - Pug in helmet & 8 UAV/Coolshot 6/Airstrike
Valentines Challenge - Kill Assists - Ox Blood (colour) & Locket
Valentines Challenge - Wins - 1 day premium time
Valentines Challenge - Light Mechs - 250k cbills
Valentines Challenge - Medium Mechs - 250k cbills
Valentines Challenge - Heavy Mechs - 250k cbills
Valentines Challenge - Assault Mechs - 250k cbills
Valentines Challenge - Hero Mechs - 1.5m cbills
Valentines Challenge - Champion Mechs - 1000gxp

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 13, 2016

grissenko
Jan 18, 2006

Oh he's so pringles. Where yo curleh mustache at?!
Fun Shoe
So, is the AMS working at all anymore? I've been running it on my Wolfhound and I get completely wrecked by LRMs...

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Krinkle posted:

GRF-3M vs GRF-2N

I went with the 2N. ECM is not a crutch, it's a tool that should be used whenever it's presented. It allows you to be a support mech, providing umbrella support to team mates. Or you can sneak around with some map awareness and wreck some LRMBoats.

The biggest difference between the two is that the 3M has SRM4 cool down quirks. Which means it fires volleys 10% faster. It also has a torso twist speed increase. The 2N has ECM option, faster missile speed, but slower torso twist and only 5% missile cool down (3M has a collective 15%). So you have to ask yourself if you want a slightly better brawler over a pretty solid brawler with ECM.

Hope this helps you with your conundrum.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Fil5000 posted:

"We're giving everyone who purchased at the old rates free premium time and/or MC to make up the difference" and then leave the $500 golden mistakes as-is.

Also get rid of mechbays while they're at it. It's a gating mechanism to get people to spend real money on the game, but if the real money prices were reasonable that gating mechanism wouldn't be useful in the first place since I'm willing to bet most people find the idea of spending $5 to get something now more appealing than grinding 5-10 days to buy it later with in-game currency, while spending $50 to do the same thing is far less appealing.

grissenko posted:

So, is the AMS working at all anymore? I've been running it on my Wolfhound and I get completely wrecked by LRMs...

AMS is not an LRM umbrella. AMS reduces the damage by shooting down part of the salvo, but it's completely unnecessary, especially for a fast light `Mech like the wolfhound. Try to keep your `Mech near tall pieces of cover like buildings or large rocks, and duck behind them if you get an LRM warning. Most of those LRMs will hit the rock/building instead of you.

Saving up for a Radar Deprivation module (15k GXP, 6 million c-bills) is absolutely worthwhile, especially if you're piloting a light `Mech. Being able to instantly break LRM locks just by ducking behind cover for half a second is incredibly handy.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 13, 2016

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Raged posted:

WoL is touring Clan Space? Sweeeeeet.

Not WoL, GIRL.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

PoptartsNinja posted:

"We're giving everyone who purchased at the old rates free premium time and/or MC to make up the difference" and then leave the $500 golden mistakes as-is.

Also get rid of mechbays while they're at it. It's a gating mechanism to get people to spend real money on the game, but if the real money prices were reasonable that gating mechanism wouldn't be useful in the first place since I'm willing to bet most people find the idea of spending $5 to get something now more appealing than grinding 5-10 days to buy it later with in-game currency, while spending $50 to do the same thing is far less appealing.

AMS is not an LRM umbrella. AMS reduces the damage by shooting down part of the salvo, but it's completely unnecessary, especially for a fast light `Mech like the wolfhound. Try to keep your `Mech near tall pieces of cover like buildings or large rocks, and duck behind them if you get an LRM warning. Most of those LRMs will hit the rock/building instead of you.

Saving up for a Radar Deprivation module (15k GXP, 6 million c-bills) is absolutely worthwhile, especially if you're piloting a light `Mech. Being able to instantly break LRM locks just by ducking behind cover for half a second is incredibly handy.

Imagine the amount of free MC they would have to give away to the whales. Then imagine the look on Russ' face as he does the maths on what that MC is 'worth'. It's a scary, scary prospect for them. It'd be smarter to do it than not, but the inertia they've got with their current prices is huge.

grissenko
Jan 18, 2006

Oh he's so pringles. Where yo curleh mustache at?!
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm not sure what was going on there for about five matches, but NOTHING was stopping LRMs hitting my light. Dodging into tall cover, getting under minimum range, the lot: nothing. I swapped a BAP into it and either I wasn't getting targeted anymore or suddenly my 'Mech was no longer a missile magnet. Haven't had any problems since I made the post, though.

I appreciate the advice, the Radar Deprivation module is on my shopping list.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I'm sorry but if I can dodge LRMs behind buildings in a Black Knight, you can dodge them in a wolfhound.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

grissenko posted:

I appreciate the advice, the Radar Deprivation module is on my shopping list.

It is absolutely worth it. I wasn't convinced any module was worth the money but having Radar Derp is like night and day.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Holy poo poo man. I peeped the new patch notes. Who is ready to bow down to their new timberwolf/direwolf lords? No more negative weapon quirks? Shits crazy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

grissenko posted:

AMS works, to an extent. Large IS LRM volleys are more resistant to AMS than clan missile streams. SRMs aren't around enough for AMS to do much. Massed AMS is far, far more effective than lone AMS. If you're running around by yourself in your wolfhound, and several mechs light you up with missiles, it won't do much for you. If you're in a group of AMS mechs, you'll really notice the difference.

If you're running around and solo sniping, radar derp will do you more good than AMS.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

AMS works, to an extent. Large IS LRM volleys are more resistant to AMS than clan missile streams. SRMs aren't around enough for AMS to do much. Massed AMS is far, far more effective than lone AMS. If you're running around by yourself in your wolfhound, and several mechs light you up with missiles, it won't do much for you. If you're in a group of AMS mechs, you'll really notice the difference.

If you're running around and solo sniping, radar derp will do you more good than AMS.

As a rule of thumb you need 5 AMS mechs to counter one mech's worth of LRMs. It's a terrible option.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Endbuster posted:

Holy poo poo man. I peeped the new patch notes. Who is ready to bow down to their new timberwolf/direwolf lords? No more negative weapon quirks? Shits crazy.

Twolves will still have large side torsoes and slow torso twist. Direwolves will still be glacially slow. The negative quirks on a direwolf are largely inconsequential as the best builds usually don't use the components that have the bad quirks.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

yay I only just bought my timber yesterday and didn't read the negative quirks lol

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

Twolves will still have large side torsoes and slow torso twist. Direwolves will still be glacially slow. The negative quirks on a direwolf are largely inconsequential as the best builds usually don't use the components that have the bad quirks.

Are you someone that only uses metamechs builds and is incapable of theorycrafting your own stuff? Sounds like your stuck in the past man.

The point is, that's all gonna change. Timberwolf is still the highest average damage mech for me at 600 dmg per game average. Those horrible modules with great hardpoint layouts? You can stack them now. Its gonna b gud.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 13, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Stringbean posted:

I'm sorry but if I can dodge LRMs behind buildings in a Black Knight, you can dodge them in a wolfhound.

And sometimes you dont dodge missiles in a fullspeed cheetah running through crimson straight cityscape, and god knows why.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
19 are you willing to turn over your customer database to me so that i may fulfill my dream of murdering every single pubbie with my bare hands?

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Endbuster posted:

Are you someone that only uses metamechs builds and is incapable of theorycrafting your own stuff? Sounds like your stuck in the past man.

The point is, that's all gonna change. Timberwolf is still the highest average damage mech for me at 600 dmg per game average. Those horrible modules with great hardpoint layouts? You can stack them now. Its gonna b gud.

The A side torso is a gigantic trap because it gives every enemy a huge target to aim for. If someone is running the A torso you know they'll lose 50-90% of their weapons if you blow it off. But yeah man, it was the negative quirks that were keeping it down.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
someone did the math on the MASC changes -- SCH top speed goes from 114 to 128. 400XL Spirit Bear will get to run at about 90 KPH

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Pattonesque posted:

someone did the math on the MASC changes -- SCH top speed goes from 114 to 128. 400XL Spirit Bear will get to run at about 90 KPH

That's actually terrifying

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ZenVulgarity posted:

You'll just be meandering along when suddenly there's a bear in your team eating your Urbanmechs! :tbear:

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

A Curvy Goonette posted:

The A side torso is a gigantic trap because it gives every enemy a huge target to aim for. If someone is running the A torso you know they'll lose 50-90% of their weapons if you blow it off. But yeah man, it was the negative quirks that were keeping it down.

I was talking more about the arms that had the +4/-4 cooldown/duration stuff, also the A pod is fine for certain builds... But I guess you don't know those, or care to learn about them. AND what kind of idiot just lets the enemy peg their torso. Probably one that runs the A torso and tries to brawl... The point is, the the mech is going to get better and its already very very good. If you wanted both arms to boat lasers, you were taking a big hit to laser duration, which sucked.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 13, 2016

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Timberwolves have never been a problem for me. Dire Wolves an Warhawks though, tend to eat my lunch unless I have higher ground. My most hated mechs are Cicadas and Jenner II-Cs.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I wish mech bay gating wasn't a loving thing it is the most irritating thing

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Endbuster posted:

hahahahahha

ahahahahahaah
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Oh wow they really did something to Blackjacks

edit: By "did something" I mean "dorked in the pooper"

Tujague fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

100ton motherfucking armored bears are terrifying.
100ton motherfucking armored bear comming at you at 90kph qualify as lovecraftian.

• Locked thread