Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

So how do I share characters I make with people? I'm rather inept with computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Doctor Reynolds posted:

So how do I share characters I make with people? I'm rather inept with computers.

I'm not sure either. It involves mucking around in the file system a bit; apparently people at Firaxis don't know how to make programs create file explorer dialogues to export pools to specific places.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Step 1: Create characters
Step 2: Select character in Character Pool from main menu, export to a Character Pool (create your own, preferably)

Step 3: Here's where the file-mucking begins. At least in my computer, where to go is ->

Documents->My Games->XCOM2->XComGame->CharacterPool->Importable-> Your character pool .bin file is here. Email it to them as an attachment or upload it somewhere for download.

Step 4: Have them download it, and put it in the same spot on THEIR computer.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

BlazetheInferno posted:

Step 1: Create characters
Step 2: Select character in Character Pool from main menu, export to a Character Pool (create your own, preferably)

Step 3: Here's where the file-mucking begins. At least in my computer, where to go is ->

Documents->My Games->XCOM2->XComGame->CharacterPool->Importable-> Your character pool .bin file is here. Email it to them as an attachment or upload it somewhere for download.

Step 4: Have them download it, and put it in the same spot on THEIR computer.

Huh. That is not what I was expecting, I figured there was just a "share with friends" button or something. Thank you for the quick reply.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
feels good to join the 0.3%

now to try it on legend :negative:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Huh. That is not what I was expecting, I figured there was just a "share with friends" button or something. Thank you for the quick reply.

Just make sure all the characters you want to share are in that pool.

If only it was this easy to increase that drat starting roster of rookies. Still have no idea what I need to change :ohdear:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Anyone here use SweetFX?

I have questions.

Specifically, I wanted to try that preset that enhances clarity - Nibi's. It says "Just put the binaries and this preset file in your directory". My question is this :

I know I copy all the .dll and .fx files, do I need to copy the injector.ini file? What about the sweetfx folder? And the sweetfx_settings file?

khy fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 13, 2016

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

If an enemy goes on a civilian killing rampage and completely ignores my team, is that a bug or an intentional thing?

I just had this lancer kill one civilian per turn for six turns, and he could've attacked my soldiers instead the whole time.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

If an enemy goes on a civilian killing rampage and completely ignores my team, is that a bug or an intentional thing?

I just had this lancer kill one civilian per turn for six turns, and he could've attacked my soldiers instead the whole time.

They weigh how likely they are to hit you with an attack. If it's too low, they just target a civilian. From the multiplayer, Stun Lancers only have a 65% chance to hit with their melee. I'd say the odds far outweigh the benefits, considering they'll frequently be out in the open after their attack.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

BlazetheInferno posted:

If only it was this easy to increase that drat starting roster of rookies. Still have no idea what I need to change :ohdear:

I just had a quick poke around, and I'm pretty sure it's StartingNumRecruits in DefaultGameData...

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'll give it a try, but the number next to that makes me think it's the number of soldiers that start in the "Recruit" menu, rather than your actual starting soldiers - that line says 10, whereas I'm starting with 8 soldiers, including the ones from the first mission.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

This archon is a pimp.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Lunethex posted:

This archon is a pimp.

Pretty impressive for someone without any genitalia.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Is my game gonna be ruined when I start a new save after downloading Stop wasting my time and capnbubs accessory pack from the workshop? This is my first playthrough what mods need to be installed right now (I know the game just came out, but with what I understand of save dependencies, I cant install any more unless I start a new game?)?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Brainamp posted:

Pretty impressive for someone without any genitalia.

He may not possess that, but he is holding a symbol of it.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Is my game gonna be ruined when I start a new save after downloading Stop wasting my time and capnbubs accessory pack from the workshop? This is my first playthrough what mods need to be installed right now (I know the game just came out, but with what I understand of save dependencies, I cant install any more unless I start a new game?)?

As I understand it, installing new mods during a campaign is fine, but if you try to load a save without one of the mods you've been using on that save the game will freak out. I personally was able to keep adding mods to my first campaign while it was in progress with no negative consequences.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

365 Nog Hogger posted:

As far as I know, you have it precisely backwards. You can install mods at any point; it's uninstalling mods mid-campaign that renders the campaign unloadable.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Floodkiller posted:

Turns out the hit percentages are rigged (in favor of the player) when it comes to consecutive hits and misses:

Is this on all difficulties because I have a sniper on my modded Legendary run who always loving hits a 46 percenter to save the day after Caleb "Patch" Bennett has missed another 80% shot.

Knowing it works this way allows for some pretty interesting ways of gaming of it.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
im pretty sure the percentages on commander and up are genuine

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It was that way on normal and easy in Enemy Unknown.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

InequalityGodzilla posted:

So did anyone else's game go loving nuts on the last mission? Specifically in the last room? Everything started rapidly flashing green and yellow and purple, the screen got tinted dark blue for a turn, etc?

Yeah my game hosed out, i saved, quite to desktop and reloaded.

Then proceeded to lose 3 troops (should have only been 1 but i couldnt bring myself to killing my mindcontrolled heavy >< )

Then through shear luck they ported outside the main room.

That last mission was bullshit btw. Have my turn, as soon as i hit my last action off to check whats in the fridge, maybe get a drink. Get back, oh, still not finished your turn, i guess i'll wait a bit more.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Legend is the only one with no secret aim bonus, apparently.

Commander still has this one:

posted:

For each consecutive miss in a turn, your soldiers are given an invisible aim bonus.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

UberJew posted:

My solution to fix swords (which has me gazing at the absurdly massive devkit and thinking about hitting the button) is to equalize their damage growth with primary weapons (swords gain +1 damage per tier like pistols, while longarms all gain +2 damage per tier, this is why swords fall off in effectiveness over time) and to add Experimental Swords to the proving grounds with the kind of bonkers effects proving ground projects let you get away with: ignore armor, massive crit chances, EMP effect, a PBAOE, shredding, acid/poison as a 100% proc

Weaker than an ammo or grenade since you can't project the effects at range, but stronger in that they give you a utility-slot like effect without actually using up a slot
Experimental swords sound pretty loving cool.

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Something that's been troubling me recently... why is there no cyan swatch?
How else are they gonna fit the 90 variety of brown on there?
Seriously I've never been one to harp on realistic earth tones but... there are a lot of brown swatches.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Thanks, Konstantin "Clutch" Zinchenko shall keep his callsign.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thank you mimic beacon.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

ikanreed posted:

I thought those honest trailers just got someone who could do a good imitation of trailer voice guy. I didn't realize it was trailer voice guy.
Sadly, Don LaFontaine has been dead since 2008 and anything else is just a cheap imitation. RIP bro. :(

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
"Faceless on every mission" is the best dark project ever. I'm rocking three mimic beacons in June.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I eagerly anticipate a mod that mixes up all the unit types, because in my entire run berserkers and mutons are super rare, sectoids and vipers drop off really fast and just stop showing up, and late game is andromedons, archons, and minibosses all the way down. I'd like to see any enemy able to appear on any mission. At least getting to see berserkers leaping off skyscrapers to punch your face in would be rad.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Legend is the only one with no secret aim bonus, apparently.

Commander still has this one:
Oh gently caress that. Classic not having all that bullshit was what made it the best difficulty for most EU games. Having to pick between legendary's drawn-out marathon and cmdr's cheating is obnoxious.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Experimental swords sound pretty loving cool.

:agreed:

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
On the last mission of legend now, but a couple of missions ago I was legitimately ticked off enough to post the following:

Blade rangers are worthless.

You heard me.

I had a nice chain of mooks thoughtfully set up via judicious use of AOE so I thought I would try out the pure blade guy I brought along while my proper ranger was having a spot of rest before the radio tower.

Nine mobs arranged in easy blue distances with healths ranging from one to six. Reaper time!

First hit does five.

Get out of my team. Fortunately my serial sniper cleaned up with nine 100%s and a cheeky over watch to follow.

Also Bladestorm is super situational - in that if you trigger it without tinkering with meme placement you hosed up - and in no way beats a ghetto Hit and Run. And putting two more points into Excalipoor in no way beats phantom spotting every mission to set up at least the first two engagements.

Blade rangers are junk. Come at me katana-havers.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I don't get the point of bladestorm; just copy ccs from long war, that poo poo was incredible.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Moogle posted:

On the last mission of legend now, but a couple of missions ago I was legitimately ticked off enough to post the following:

Blade rangers are worthless.

You heard me.

I had a nice chain of mooks thoughtfully set up via judicious use of AOE so I thought I would try out the pure blade guy I brought along while my proper ranger was having a spot of rest before the radio tower.

Nine mobs arranged in easy blue distances with healths ranging from one to six. Reaper time!

First hit does five.

Get out of my team. Fortunately my serial sniper cleaned up with nine 100%s and a cheeky over watch to follow.

Also Bladestorm is super situational - in that if you trigger it without tinkering with meme placement you hosed up - and in no way beats a ghetto Hit and Run. And putting two more points into Excalipoor in no way beats phantom spotting every mission to set up at least the first two engagements.

Blade rangers are junk. Come at me katana-havers.

:agreed:

The only time I really relied on blade mook was midgame where if(when) they failed to kill something it always certainly would get stunned.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Blade rangers are good early on specifically to murder sectoids thanks to their melee vulnerability. I respec my melee rangers to phantom after I get the mag shotties :black101:

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Moogle posted:

meme placement

this is why you're bad

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah just dont bother upgrading your tier 2 swords. Stun is way more valuable than setting them on fire.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

texasmed posted:

this is why you're bad

I also call them Mimetic Bacon, and I'm not even sorry.

Much like a blade ranger, your post whiffed and is just sitting there impotently.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
Overall I think the late-game enemies are pretty cool, just too many goddamn Archons. The Pinion ability is a nice mechanic, but pods should not be comprised of three or four Archons. Enemies that can't take cover should not be the majority in an X-Com mission.

Also, does anyone else think the Archon design looks "off" for X-Com? Where is this ornate golden aesthetic coming from? It looks like it belongs in Warhammer 40k, maybe in a Chaos god's S&M dungeon.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

They're basically biomechanical propaganda muppets for ADVENT's fascist regime

I'd also be willing to bet they're referencing an old enemy or concept art from the series' original run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.
It'd be cool if one of the weapon attachments made the weapon immune to the codex's AOE disable.