Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

VolticSurge posted:

So,just caught up to FFX,and Auron knocking the Sarlacc ripoff into orbit had me laughing my rear end off so hard that my roommate thought I was going insane. What I'm saying is... Use that Overdrive all the time. Never stop.

Oh thank god, I was afraid they might miss the most important part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I wonder how many emails they'll be deleting about getting the winner of the Super Bowl wrong.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

FauxGateau posted:

I can't wait to buy it as I'm a filthy peasant with one job. What's the consensus on version? PS4 or PSV? My PSV library could use some filling.

In the mean time, you could always just emulate Digimon World for the PS1. The one with the innovative feature of the invisible value that determines whether the training minigames are literally unwinnable or not! :colbert: I wish I was joking.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Catching up on Fisticuffs, do people dislike Deejay? EDIT: And T-Hawk?
Also man these translation errors are too funny.

HGH fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 13, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

HGH posted:

Catching up on Fisticuffs, do people dislike Deejay?

He's just really bad in IV.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I bought Cyber Sleuth, and it is as good as it looks. It feels very simple while having a shitton of stuff to do.

To those also playing it, are there any Digimon/Skills I should be working towards, or can I just use my favorites and beat the game like that?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

I bought Cyber Sleuth, and it is as good as it looks. It feels very simple while having a shitton of stuff to do.

To those also playing it, are there any Digimon/Skills I should be working towards, or can I just use my favorites and beat the game like that?

You can use your favorites but keeping a digimon with a defense/int-penetrating special is a REALLY good thing to keep in mind

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Justice Sloth posted:

In the mean time, you could always just emulate Digimon World for the PS1. The one with the innovative feature of the invisible value that determines whether the training minigames are literally unwinnable or not! :colbert: I wish I was joking.

I'll probably play it because I won't lie that was like one of the first games I played on PlayStation. My virus meter got all the way filled for various stupid reasons. Then my cute patamon evolved into numemon. But he was stronger so I guess I didn't mind that he threw literal poo poo as his attack. Also, yes didn't know it at the time, but that minigame was bullshit... So bad..

What were we talking about again?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Ruggington posted:

You can use your favorites but keeping a digimon with a defense/int-penetrating special is a REALLY good thing to keep in mind

What Digimon have these? Prowling around it seems Wargreymon and Lilithmon have them, but who else?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
In the latest Odallus video on Vessel: Goddrat Not-Void dropped some good lines there. I was incinerated by the terrible radiance of "You have never had a son. Only a wicked extension of your own faults."

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Neo_Crimson posted:

You'll want a few PlatinumSukamons ASAP. They have a passive ability that gives you +50% exp and it stacks for each one.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I've always been sorta wanting a PS4, first for Batman and then it turned out it wasn't worth it, then for Bloodborne but the LP did enough for me to not want to drop 400 on it and so on with a bunch of titles I never got to play since I never owned Sony consoles (like Last of Us remastered, SFV, Transformers, the upcoming TMNT, Yakuza, etc.) but loving Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth is the one that's really making me want to make poor financial decisions right loving now.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I play games mostly on the PC, so I am holding out on a PS4 until NieR: Automata and Final Fantasy XV are out. I'm probably just going to get the PS3 version of Persona 5 but if you don't have one a PS4 may be good for that too.

If I didn't have a PC I would have definitely bought a PS4 by now for Dark Souls 3 and The Witcher 3.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I bet PS3 P5 is going to have unbearable load times.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

What Digimon have these? Prowling around it seems Wargreymon and Lilithmon have them, but who else?

off the top of my head: Stingmon, Icedevimon, Megakabuterimon, Lillithmon, Wargreymon, Blackwargreymon, Kuwagamon, and Okuwamon

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Digimon is pretty lame

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Uh no, you are.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Depths posted:

Something Awful Forums Poster Depths is pretty lame

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i've fallen really far behind since i don't have 40 hours of pretending to work time every week

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Digimon *is* pretty lame, but Cyber Sleuth looks like an interesting game and I kinda wish it was on PC.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Oxyclean posted:

Digimon *is* pretty lame, but Cyber Sleuth looks like an interesting game and I kinda wish it was on PC.

There's always the F2P Digimon MMO

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I don't particularly care about digimon either and the game does seem pretty good.

It looks like SMT with less penis demons. I will probably buy it when I can get it for cheap from a sale.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
https://twitter.com/2BFLiam/status/698532241027289090

He's also not famous.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

FauxGateau posted:

I'll probably play it because I won't lie that was like one of the first games I played on PlayStation.

I'm in a similar boat, but have played it extensively. The western release is so badly localised it reads like duwang or zero wing a lot of the time. There are not one, nor two, but several invisible requirements that must be met for certain rookie 'mons to evolve into anything other than numemon. Progression barriers involving scripted events occurring at certain times of the in-game clock, that due to the bad translation, you're either never told or given wildly inaccurate information about.

All with the seconds counting down to your digimon dying of old age. While its PlayStation jank is palpable, it's fairly easy with a guide and save-states, but just the fact that this draconian gauntlet of a game was marketed at kids is entertaining in and of itself.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Justice Sloth posted:

Wait, really unwinnable? I remember reading about severe levels of jank, but not this.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Bee posted:

Wait, really unwinnable? I remember reading about severe levels of jank, but not this.

I dismissed CS initially not because it was Digimon, but because it was a Digimon game.

And Digimon games are loving BAD.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I dismissed CS initially not because it was Digimon, but because it was a Digimon game.

Digital Card Battle for the PSX was the best Digimon game for about 15 years until Cyber Sleuth.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Digimon World 2 was an unironically good dungeon crawler. Though it did set the precedent for Digimon games to be grindy as gently caress.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Despite its issues I still really like Digimon World 3, mainly for the aesthetics.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Orange Fluffy Sheep's LP of Digimon World was great because they had to look in the game's entrails to figure out how to get the stupid golden beetle evolution. No one ACTUALLY knew on the Internet, apparently, because the game is that obtuse.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

The Bee posted:

Yes. In the game, you have to train your digimon at the gym to raise its stats. Each training machine has two settings, "Normal Try", which has no minigame and awards a small amount of stats per attribute each time and "Bonus Try" which has a minigame. The minigame for the bonus try is a slot machine, where you must line up 3 symbols horizontally to win. However, there is an invisible value that resets every time you enter the gym or complete a single training session.

I'm not sure of the actual percentage likelihood of being rigged (though I've found it to be about 50:50). To be reductive: If that value = 1, then getting 3 in a row will award you with double the stats, or even a significant multiplier of the stat if you get the 3 golden symbols; as normal. If the value = 0, however, whenever you stop the slot-wheel on the third symbol, it will skip ahead to the next symbol. And no, that's not an emulation bug or an anti-cheating implement, because in the psx copy as well as in emulation, you can physically HEAR the delay between the 'selection beep' and the 'you lose' beep as it passes over your pick.

Dias posted:

No one ACTUALLY knew on the Internet, apparently, because the game is that obtuse.

The most extensive guide that exists for digimon world has MOST of the evolutions, and that's nothing short of a miracle. The developer's willingness to subject humans, let alone children to the truly kafkaesque experience of 100%ing this game borders on farce.

Justice Sloth fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 13, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Justice Sloth posted:

I'm in a similar boat, but have played it extensively. The western release is so badly localised it reads like duwang or zero wing a lot of the time. There are not one, nor two, but several invisible requirements that must be met for certain rookie 'mons to evolve into anything other than numemon. Progression barriers involving scripted events occurring at certain times of the in-game clock, that due to the bad translation, you're either never told or given wildly inaccurate information about.

All with the seconds counting down to your digimon dying of old age. While its PlayStation jank is palpable, it's fairly easy with a guide and save-states, but just the fact that this draconian gauntlet of a game was marketed at kids is entertaining in and of itself.

The Run Button guys have been doing an LP of Digimon World and it's amazing how obtuse and inconsistent and frankly bizarre a game about poop monsters and dinosaur friends is.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Latest RE episode. Pat's incredibly breathy sighs as all the life and enthusiasm leaves his body are amazing.

EDIT: "...There's an Eliminator in here". *Eliminator jumps in*
I think this is the lack of progress sequence Matt mentioned and it's killing me from laughter.
I'm glad Pat played Digimon after this with Liam and got to chill out.

HGH fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 13, 2016

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Gabumon is real I saw him and my friend doesn't believe me

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Gabumon is just a fat Agumon in half a fursuit

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Next thing you're gonna tell me is that geogreymon is just a painted up greymon

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Angemon is just a human using a costume.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
My favourite Digimon is Octomon, who is very difficult to google

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Improbable Lobster posted:

My favourite Digimon is Octomon, who is very difficult to google

Mine is Monochromon who is named for the fact that he is grey, and not for that fact that he's a triceratops.

And definitely not for the fact that he has red stripes on his horns. :palmon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Ruggington posted:

Gabumon is real I saw him and my friend doesn't believe me

Goddamn, I loved that F Plus episode.