Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Painkiller posted:

There's been plenty worse performances from Scotland.

http://www.rugbyworld.com/countries/scotland/six-nations-analysis-three-key-areas-from-england-15-9-scotland-53954

Interesting article on England's tactics from the guy who did analysis on Scotland for Eddie Jones. That video of all the poorly fielded high kicks is depressing viewing.

It's a tough read and doing the research on how to beat teams is really important, especially highlighting that Scotland pull teams into traps that allows for interceptions and how to avoid it. Though I wouldn't be too pleased as an England coach either as Scotland played like poo poo and still had more linebreaks and defenders beaten over the course of the match, they need to tighten things up against the much better teams that are still to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

surrender posted:

the US held Argentina's B squad to a draw last night :toot:

In case anyone missed it - THIS was the most entertaining game of international rugby played over the weekend. And I am not just saying that as an American, it was a genuinely enjoyable, open game that also had some good kicking.

But seriously, I am so glad we didn't lose, I would have thrown the remote through my TV if that had happened.

Plus, since Scotland lost I get to make a new avatar! Any suggestions? Something that combines rugby, Star Trek, and the lovely business decisions of Games Workhop would be best as those are the threads I read or post in the most.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

CyberPingu posted:

Paul O'Connell was forced to retire today :smith:

It's sad, but it was obviously coming.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Painkiller posted:

There's been plenty worse performances from Scotland.

http://www.rugbyworld.com/countries/scotland/six-nations-analysis-three-key-areas-from-england-15-9-scotland-53954

Interesting article on England's tactics from the guy who did analysis on Scotland for Eddie Jones. That video of all the poorly fielded high kicks is depressing viewing.

Conclusion: Finn Russell actually a bit of a liability.

Aramoro posted:

I'm not sure really. I mean we've played worse than that for sure. But in terms of the experience in the Scotland side and total lack of play making made it a true dirge of a match. We were poor under the high ball which you could put down to first match jitters, fair enough. But when we were going though the phases is never looked like something was going to happen. Compare that to Italy against France, Campagnaro and Garcia always looked dangerous and you could see that even if it didn't work they were looking for an edge. We had 51% of the possession in that match but I'm not sure anyone watching it would have picked it that high, it's criminal to come away from a match with that much possession and so few points. We were so slow and ponderous on the attack that I'm sure England have harder training ground routines they work through every week.

Nah, Scotland had three great chances and butchered them (Seymour got stripped by Joseph, Russell threw away the interception, Laidlaw went wrong way from an attacking ruck with Hogg and Maitland outside him). They had some decent attacks and just terrible decision making.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bigfoot again posted:

Nah, Scotland had three great chances and butchered them (Seymour got stripped by Joseph, Russell threw away the interception, Laidlaw went wrong way from an attacking ruck with Hogg and Maitland outside him). They had some decent attacks and just terrible decision making.

So they only created 2 half-chances and squandered them both. I mean the were unlucky to give away the knock on from the stripped ball which should have just been a loose ball. I don't see how that counters anything I said really. Scotland were not threatening anywhere on the pitch,

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

That they weren't threatening is not surprising. Funnily enough for all my complains about Eddie Jones, it occurred to me the day before playing that he has a point about making England tough bullies. It then occurred to me then and there that Scotland wouldn't win because our players are the complete antithesis of this. None of them look threatening, aggressive or (and I realise we shouldn't be supporting this) willing to play dirty.

I've already said that talking ourselves up is a stupid act, so that's all I'm really going to say anymore. I'm tired of watching us try and fail in six nations campaigns. If we don't manage to at least get to 4th this year we should be relegated and another team should take our place.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Scotland always manage to look small even when they're 6'6 or whatever. I think it's some kind of dark wizardry.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Dark, as in the slimming effects of navy blue?

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
So what you're saying is Cotter should recall Big Jim Hamilton?

Also, apparently Ulster have signed Marcell Coetzee. If it's true then I'm more than happy with how they replaced Nick Williams.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Apollodorus posted:

Dark, as in the slimming effects of navy blue?

Nah, they do it in their alternate kit.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

So what you're saying is Cotter should recall Big Jim Hamilton?

Also, apparently Ulster have signed Marcell Coetzee. If it's true then I'm more than happy with how they replaced Nick Williams.

All I can say is thank gently caress he's capped for South Africa. The Irish backrow is scary enough without him anywhere near it.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Ha ha, even as their coach, Eddie Jones can't resist trolling England.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/eddie-jones-looking-for-england-to-improve-fitness-levels-1.2529330

Apparently, they're fit enough to play 6N but not fit enough for Australia. And here I thought that England were super fit and even trained with the SAS!!!

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I already love Eddie Jones.

The new England slogan is: "No-one likes us, we don't care."

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I mean if England isn't going to apologize for causing most of the post-colonial strife in the world today, there's zero chance of them playing rugby in a fun or attractive manner.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Apollodorus posted:

I mean if England isn't going to apologize for causing most of the post-colonial strife in the world today, there's zero chance of them playing rugby in a fun or attractive manner.

D&D is over here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=46

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Wales team for the weekend
Liam Williams; George North, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, Tom James; Dan Biggar, Gareth Davies; Rob Evans, Scott Baldwin, Samson Lee; Luke Charteris, Alun Wyn Jones; Sam Warburton, Justin Tipuric, Taulupe Faletau.

Reps: Ken Owens, Gethin Jenkins, Tomas Francis, Bradley Davies, Dan Lydiate, Lloyd Williams, :siren:Rhys Priestland:siren:, Gareth Anscombe

Scotland team for the weekend
Stuart Hogg; Sean Maitland, Mark Bennett, Duncan Taylor, Tommy Seymour; Finn Russell, Greig Laidlaw; Alasdair Dickinson, Ross Ford, WP Nel; Richie Gray, Jonny Gray; John Barclay, John Hardie, David Denton.

Reps: Stuart McInally, Gordon Reid, Zander Fagerson, Tim Swinson, Blair Cowan, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, Duncan Weir, Sean Lamont.

Hopefully Laidlaw will be able to get the ball out a bit quicker this week - Wales really struggled when the Irish were moving the ball quickly so the Scots really need to do something about that.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

fallingdownjoe posted:

Hopefully Laidlaw will be able to get the ball out a bit quicker this week - Wales really struggled when the Irish were moving the ball quickly so the Scots really need to do something about that.

Are you going to any of the games? If I'm going to watch Scotland beat Wales, I at least need a trip to the Bagle Burger Bar with friends, to compensate.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Tyma posted:

Are you going to any of the games? If I'm going to watch Scotland beat Wales, I at least need a trip to the Bagle Burger Bar with friends, to compensate.

Unfortunately not - the young lady's in a play so that's most weekends gone, then in the US for the Italy game. Next time over in Cardiff is Judgement Day

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Connacht outhalf Jack Carty will possibly miss the rest of the season after rupturing his spleen in an accident on a slide in a water park in Dubai. That has to be up there with Euan Murray nearly cutting his thumb off with an axe.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
That's why you don't meddle with the forces of nature by putting a water park in the desert.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Swan Curry posted:

Connacht outhalf Jack Carty will possibly miss the rest of the season after rupturing his spleen in an accident on a slide in a water park in Dubai. That has to be up there with Euan Murray nearly cutting his thumb off with an axe.

Nicky Robinson had to miss a European game for Cardiff after walking into a door.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Rugby Union really has caught up with League in many areas. Professionalism has been a real boon to the sport :v:

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
I cant recall his name but one of the ospreys once missed a european game while "slipping" on "ice" while clearing his "drive" when in reality he was thrown onto a table full of empty pint glasses during a very debauched drinking session the thursday before a game.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

Rugby Union really has caught up with League in many areas. Professionalism has been a real boon to the sport :v:

So it's only a matter of time before Priestland gets a hefty suspension for putting his dick inside a dog, then?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Vagabundo posted:

So it's only a matter of time before Priestland gets a hefty suspension for putting his dick inside a dog sheep then?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's far too bland for that.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

goatface posted:

He's far too bland for that.

Step up Liam Williams

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Just turned on my stream for France/Ireland and it's still the second half of some soccer game between Fulham and QPR and within 8 seconds I am reminded of what a dumb sport this is. At least the guy who made an egregious flop got yellow carded thirty seconds later for something else.

edit: I tried to change my av and title but can't tell if it worked

edit2: there we go

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 13, 2016

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Im really glad that rugby is still freely available on the BBC website to watch, makes it so much easier than trying to find a janky stream to watch it on

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

CyberPingu posted:

Im really glad that rugby is still freely available on the BBC website to watch, makes it so much easier than trying to find a janky stream to watch it on

Outside the UK FilmOn is always a good fallback. Quality is not great, but is pretty reliable.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
France are looking a bit weak, and a bit cheeky.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

How was that not a yellow for a high tackle?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

So Frances tactic is win by killing the Irish

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They can't retain the trophy if they're dead.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also, I don't know if the French would be getting away with a lot of poo poo if they weren't in the SdF.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm not sure how they are getting away with dropping it so much either

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The fix is in

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sexton's kicking is a bit weird today.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Ref getting PAID today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

That kicker - NOT getting paid today