Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

malal posted:

Sometimes the nurses chat and play cards while the patient sleeps, the low hum and whir-click of the breathing apparatus noticeable in the background.

It's the waiting that's the worst part. You loved the person for so long, even staying by their side when the dementia set in, them cursing and making GBS threads; spittle flying from their mouth somehow worse then the sharp smell of feces. Names once recognized, screamed in a new and inchoate tongue by the twisted shape lying emaciated on the bed that once loved you and was loved by you.

You envy the nurses, for them it's just going through the motions, administering palliative care. For them they have seen it and done it many times. They are not rude or callous, they just know the inevitable will come. Not quickly though, it will get dragged on until you even have the thought of ending it yourself. The thought instantly makes you sick, you take a break from your vigil. Hopefully one of your brothers or sisters can watch over GW tomorrow, you really will go mad if you keep the vigil one more night.

A low round of laughter, light and ethereal erupts from the nurses. As the nightly drugs set in they know they can relax just a little. You can just barely hear the sounds from outside.

Whir-click.

Jesus this legit reminded me of sitting by my fathers hospital bed as his heart got weaker and weaker each day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

oh, gently caress yes.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

I actually find the gundam timeline to be less plausible now that I know they chose a power source that intentionally sabotages their most efficient form of communication.

Like, loving, build some minovsky faraday cages or some poo poo. There's no way that technology goes forward as-is, especially on the battlefield. Say what you will about 40k, at least they have a solid 15 yards of range on the vox caster.

They use them because Minovsky Particles fuel the flashier weapon systems (like all the particle beam cannons), can contain the fusion reaction that creates them, and provide a way to hide yourself from enemy observation. As well as provide relatively cheap and efficient power. The effect on radar and communication is also tied into the relative density of the particles in an area. Wireless transmission can still work over distance, but that distance drops due to attenuation rapidly when particles hit combat density. A lot of military comm systems end up relying on a mix of laser transmission, flare codes, physical cables, short range radio, and skin talk (establishing a physical connection between mechs)

Basically they realized robots in a military context make even less sense when radar is a thing so they had to figure out a way to get back to WWI style communication and control issues while still having stompy robots.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Excuse me, gundams aren't stompy. They're dumb jet boot robots. :colbert:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Safety Factor posted:

Excuse me, gundams aren't stompy. They're dumb, jet boot robots. :colbert:

Also, based on this thread, sometimes jet rear end robots.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'd rather discuss bolt gun physics than stupid anime technology.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Safety Factor posted:

Excuse me, gundams aren't stompy. They're dumb jet boot robots. :colbert:

There's a wide variety of robots in Gundam. From the very stompy

to the completely stompless

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

At least with something like a sword-and-sorcery-style fantasy mini, I can feel like it will translate well across several different games that I might potentially play, from KoW to DS to Frostgrave to a regular RPG.
So I'm starting a frostgrave campaign NEXT WEEK with my x-wing minis that I was talking about a while back. Friend finally has some free time from his postgrad stuff. I think it's only fitting that mary sue corran horn in an e-wing will be my wizard and y-wings will be men at arms. b-wings will probably be templars. Z95s will be warhounds if I decide to take them. In any case, I'm gonna take pics and it'll be p awesome.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Chill la Chill posted:

So I'm starting a frostgrave campaign NEXT WEEK with my x-wing minis that I was talking about a while back. Friend finally has some free time from his postgrad stuff. I think it's only fitting that mary sue corran horn in an e-wing will be my wizard and y-wings will be men at arms. b-wings will probably be templars. Z95s will be warhounds if I decide to take them. In any case, I'm gonna take pics and it'll be p awesome.

you are only allowed to do this if I can play a game of x-wing using wizard models as starfighters

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

you are only allowed to do this if I can play a game of x-wing using wizard models as starfighters
Star wars is an epic space fantasy starring Luke a wizard, Han Solo a rogue, Leia Organa the warlord, Chewbacca the barbarian, and R2D2 the illusionist gnome cross-classed with 1 level on each of 5 other classes just to take their most broken feats going on their space adventures so why not?

I suggest using the muscle wizard as a decimator or IG2000 aggressor.

e: btw it is v important to use square bases as there IS a facing to the models, because it is a good fantasy game, and not a bad one, like that game with round bases.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 13, 2016

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It's either a shame they ruined 40k before this model was released, or a relief.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
That one would be a better fit for the AdMech than those weird eggbots they actually got.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Sorry, no, that is clearly ork technology.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hey guys, Age of Sigmar is actually good apparently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETSKg_K8iX8

Highlights:
-Mixing factions is good
-"I'm not interested in the whole competitive thing, I just want to play some fun games"
-Now you can buy whatever models you want to paint (as we all know, this was impossible before)
-Reading, video games, sports, and tabletop gaming are apparently mutually exclusive
-probably the only good point: No need to buy an $85 rulebook and $50 Army book.
-Thinks the free poo poo rules will keep GW competitive with X-Wing (LOL)
-Fantasy was shrinking so they had to do something!

Best comment:
"I actually quit fantasy and moved on to 40k after hearing that soon my orcs will be trash in favour of 'uruks' or some crap. Painting my first squad of space marines now"

Yeah, gently caress this company loving up my game! I'll show them buy... spending a shitload of money on their other product! That'll teach 'em.

EDIT: No, maybe this is the best comment

"Personally I love Age of Sigmar, it's revitalised Warhammer Fantasy in my area. Not to mention that it's brilliantly designed in that it's perfectly balanced in terms of armies, no one army is more powerful than another because everyone's OP. And to paraphrase The Incredibles, when everyone's OP, no one's OP."

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So the bit where he talks about being a 10 or 12 year old kid who wants to paint miniatures and throw dice got me to thinking that AoS is really only ever fit as a literal game for children.

Had GW not exploded the Old World and just launched AoS as a parallel game specifically targeted at the new player/new hobbyist/kid, I'm sure they would be in a much better position.

Drone fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 13, 2016

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Rules are great because it gives everyone an agreed upon framework from which to work and apparently fairly resolves disputes. Rules are bad because after the first rule was written, no one was ever allowed to have fun again.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

"Why is [X-Wing] so popular? ... You don't have to build 'em, you don't have to paint 'em, you don't have to clip 'em off the little things and all that crap, and it comes all in one piece."

First off, this is a dude who literally loves building 'em, painting 'em, and clipping 'em off the little things. Second, it's because X-Wing is an actual game with well-written rules and excellent community support you colossal tool.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Drone posted:

"Why is [X-Wing] so popular? ... You don't have to build 'em, you don't have to paint 'em, you don't have to clip 'em off the little things and all that crap, and it comes all in one piece."

First off, this is a dude who literally loves building 'em, painting 'em, and clipping 'em off the little things. Second, it's because X-Wing is an actual game with well-written rules and excellent community support you colossal tool.

Being fair I think that the not-making-things bit is part of that appeal, and definitely the reason I've seen board gamers who weren't interested in minis jump over.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

As someone who hates putting minis together and painting them I do like that X-Wing comes with good pre made models. However the big draw and main reason I started playing the game was that it was about Xwings blowing up Tie Fighters something sorely lacking in the age of Sigmar.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Good news everyone!
The Tomb Kings balance problem is as good solved!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Skinty McEdger posted:

As someone who hates putting minis together and painting them I do like that X-Wing comes with good pre made models. However the big draw and main reason I started playing the game was that it was about Xwings blowing up Tie Fighters something sorely lacking in the age of Sigmar.

Well I mean if you really wanted to , you could have C3PO inside Han's falcon be a literal stand-in for the fat AOS 3PO knockoffs. Emperor inside the shuttle is naturally the half of the screaming bell combo that lets you set your die to whatever you want.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bistromatic posted:

Good news everyone!

im sad about the loss of mummy mans, they had some of the coolest paintings from warhammer fantasy dedicated to them.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Bistromatic posted:

Good news everyone!

Man, I really just... don't understand their decision-making process at all.

It's just a guy in a suit waving his hand and decreeing crazy poo poo, isn't it

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They might have found the moulds are failing, and there's certainly no chance of getting new ones made.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You can't clamp down on an IP like "mummies." Bye, Tomb Kings.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I tried looking for anime tomb kings and couldn't find any. Odd, since yu-gi-oh should've been an easy inspiration. That explains why boom hasn't posted any, I guess?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

I tried looking for anime tomb kings and couldn't find any. Odd, since yu-gi-oh should've been an easy inspiration. That explains why boom hasn't posted any, I guess?

dont tempt fate dog, tons of anime mummies

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

moths posted:

You can't clamp down on an IP like "mummies." Bye, Tomb Kings.

I always thought tomb kings were one of the more original games workshop ideas, since they're mostly good aligned undead who just want to protect what was theirs.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sharkopath posted:

dont tempt fate dog, tons of anime mummies

anime mummy

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Sharkopath posted:

I always thought tomb kings were one of the more original games workshop ideas, since they're mostly good aligned undead who just want to protect what was theirs.

The fact that they had exactly one city of the living still in their kingdom and would do everything to protect it is just :3:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I liked tomb kings. Think their original magic system was great and unique in warhammer. Guess it would have been fifth edition?

Every spell went off automatically, usually had to get only a 6 or so to dispel it. You had to follow an order too:

Bound items
Tomb princes
Tomb kings
Priests
Lord priests
Hierophant
Casket of Souls

It made their magic function differently and interestingly, meant that you could guarantee several of your units would be able to move or fire twice every single turn, and still put pressure on the opponent to prioritise. It was great.

I guess their end came with 7th, and then 8th. Steadfast, no fear-auto break, ludicrously destructive magic, all that jazz.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah, the Tomb Kings themselves were extremely cool and well done - the hitch is that GW can't lock me out of producing an Egyptian theme skeleton / mummy army, or prevent you from buying them instead of official Tomb King brand skeletons.

It's basically why the Brets and Empire are also on the short list of armies to kill off, and why the new dwarves look so uniquely awful.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Mantic, time to start working on some CAD models for Empire of Dust.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I was looking at some of the art released for the new space wolf stuff, why does fantasy flight always have fantastic art in their warhammer games and games workshop hire dudes putting out work like this?

I always assumed they were pulling from the same pool of talent but i guess not.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

tbh, I think it all just comes back to fantasy flight giving a poo poo

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Angry baboon man.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sharkopath posted:

I was looking at some of the art released for the new space wolf stuff, why does fantasy flight always have fantastic art in their warhammer games and games workshop hire dudes putting out work like this?

I always assumed they were pulling from the same pool of talent but i guess not.

:eyepop: hosed up tiny wolves are now canon!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Fyreslayers confirmed in 40k! AGE OF THE EMPEROR IS UPON US!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

Fyreslayers confirmed in 40k! AGE OF THE EMPEROR IS UPON US!

Squad Broken!

• Locked thread