Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

There's some sort of opiate in Immodium that needs stupidly high doses to activate or something like that. Anyhow, some goon's husband was doing it and died in a movie theater with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

natetimm posted:

There's some sort of opiate in Immodium that needs stupidly high doses to activate or something like that. Anyhow, some goon's husband was doing it and died in a movie theater with them.

Did this really happen or was the goon just full of poo poo?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Danger posted:

This was just in the news again which of course recalls (and is mentioned in the story) the famous Pulitzer Prize winning Washington Post article about the same subject: https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...2a52_story.html

That loving article, out of all the things I've read/seen online, is what keeps me up the most when I think about it. It's something that I never ever want to think about but feel like I must constantly.

That article, holy gently caress.

quote:

The tape is unendurable. Mostly, you hear a woman’s voice, tense but precise, explaining to a police dispatcher what she is seeing. Initially, there’s nothing in the background. Then Balfour howls at the top of her lungs, “OH, MY GOD, NOOOO!”

Then, for a few seconds, nothing.

Then a deafening shriek: “NO, NO, PLEASE, NO!!!”

Three more seconds, then:

“PLEASE, GOD, NO, PLEASE!!!”

What is happening is that Balfour is administering CPR. At that moment, she recalls, she felt like two people occupying one body: Lyn, the crisply efficient certified combat lifesaver, and Lyn, the incompetent mother who would never again know happiness. Breathe, compress, breathe, compress. Each time that she came up for air, she lost it. Then, back to the patient.

:smithicide:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

End Of Worlds posted:

Pyf doomed marriage

titties

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Danger posted:

This was just in the news again which of course recalls (and is mentioned in the story) the famous Pulitzer Prize winning Washington Post article about the same subject: https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...2a52_story.html

That loving article, out of all the things I've read/seen online, is what keeps me up the most when I think about it. It's something that I never ever want to think about but feel like I must constantly.

This sick gently caress left his kid in the car on purpose.

http://www.people.com/article/justin-ross-harris-strange-behavior-after-arrest-combative-unemotional

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Danger posted:

This is still the best article I've ever read. Absolutely deserved its Pulitzer.

Does anyone have the one about the dad who left his son in the car while hunting, and the son got lost when he tried to find dad? That's nearly as good.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

packetmantis posted:

That article, holy gently caress.

:smithicide:

I had to stop reading after the description of the phone call the father made to his wife after he had found his child's body in the car after a long day at work.

"Undecipherable screaming"...

Also the father who tried to wrestle a gun away from the cop who showed up to the scene so he could kill himself.

I can't even imagine.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

quote:

Then there is the Chattanooga, Tenn., business executive who must live with this: His motion-detector car alarm went off, three separate times, out there in the broiling sun. But when he looked out, he couldn’t see anyone tampering with the car. So he remotely deactivated the alarm and went calmly back to work.

:smith:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

lol "he didn't act sad enough" is the worst possible argument for someone's guilt.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

There is other stuff too, like him going out at lunch and checking to see if the kid was dead yet.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Danger posted:

Y'all can post all the horrible murders and disasters you want, but it's these mundane tragedies that scare me the most, I think. On more than one occasion, forgetfulness and miscommunication between my parents resulted in me or my brother getting left somewhere and neither one of them came to pick us up. It's only a small step from that to dying in a car.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

There is other stuff too, like him going out at lunch and checking to see if the kid was dead yet.

That's not in the article you linked.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

It's an opioid, it just doesn't get you high. It'll plug your GI tract up nicely, as opiates are wont to do.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

A Pinball Wizard posted:

lol "he didn't act sad enough" is the worst possible argument for someone's guilt.
I'll never understand the lack of empathy it takes to get judgmental about the way others grieve. If there'[s actual evidence then it will speak for itself.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

A Pinball Wizard posted:

That's not in the article you linked.

I didn't link an article, that was someone else.

If you need one, here is one that says he; "did an Internet search for how long it takes for an animal to die in a hot car" and "during lunch [Harris] did access the same vehicle through the driver's side door to place an object into the vehicle."

http://www.people.com/article/toddler-dies-in-hot-car-justin-ross-harris-georgia-murder-police-respond-false-reports

The Fuzzy Hulk has a new favorite as of 18:37 on Feb 13, 2016

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GWBBQ posted:

I'll never understand the lack of empathy it takes to get judgmental about the way others grieve. If there'[s actual evidence then it will speak for itself.

It's less a lack of empathy and more a misunderstanding of grief. You don't get nuanced, realistic depictions of grief in most forms of media so if you're not bawling or filled with rage people aren't sure how to deal with it. To a person unfamiliar with deep, serious grieving I'm sure the way some people would react to it would be a genuine surprise.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Not a gross or really terrible crime, but a interesting one for it's eccentric participants.

http://malefactorsregister.com/wp/who-killed-captain-wanderwell/

quote:

Take a suspected German spy, his beautiful wife, a soldier-of-fortune with a grudge, throw in a British peer, a mysterious “man in grey,” allegations of mutiny, and an unsolved murder aboard a barely seaworthy ship manned by an amateur crew of adventurers and you have a Hollywood melodrama that seems to write itself.
But the murder of 43-year-old Captain Walter Wanderwell in 1932 wasn’t dreamed up by Tinseltown scriptwriters. It happened in Long Beach not too far from Hollywood when Wanderwell, born Valerian Johannes Tieczynski — a German-Pole, was preparing his two-masted schooner Carma for a South Sea adventure cruise.
Wanderwell lived a life that most people can only dream about. He was a world traveler who literally had been there, done that. His resume included trips to the wastelands of Siberia, journeys through the darkest parts of the Amazon, treks across the scorching sands of the Arabian and Saharan deserts — where he witnessed the opening of King Tut’s tomb — and numerous sea voyages.
He was a mysterious man who achieved in death the notoriety he courted in life. During World War I, Wanderwell was suspected of being a spy for Germany and was interned in the federal prison in Atlanta. He was also once charged with unlawfully wearing a military uniform to which he was not entitled.
After his release from detention (his ties to Germany were never proved) he met a Broadway chorus girl named Nell, and they were married in Alabama. The marriage failed after seven years thanks to the Captain’s wandering eye.
In Paris, he had met Galcia Hall, a Canadian girl who had run away from a French convent school in search of adventure, and the husband and wife took the young girl on one of the first motor car tours of the European and Asian continents. He dubbed the stately, 23-year-old blonde “Aloha,” and it was by that name that she appeared in the press. Somewhere along the way the first Mrs. Wanderwell became superfluous.
“Too many women caused our marriage to go on the rocks in 1926,” the former Mrs. Wanderwell told the United Press when her ex-husband was killed. “I came back to the United States alone. I guess it was love at first sight for them,” Wanderwell’s first wife said.
Shortly after Nell divorced Wanderwell, the adventurer and Aloha were married.
Wanderwell had no money of his own, but he was skilled at getting others to subsidize his adventures, usually by taking the bored children of wealthy families on tours to exotic locales. Together with Aloha, the tours visited the Pyramids and Sphinx, the Great Wall of China, the Eiffel Tower, Mayan and Aztec ruins in Mexico and Central America, and Angkor Wat in Indochina. In the last trip before the Wanderwells arrived in Southern California, they traveled more than 35,000 miles.
The Carma was a 20-year-old craft that had been seized by federal Prohibition agents with a cargo of 300 cases of whiskey when Wanderwell bought it for $2,500 and began recruiting a crew for a South Sea cruise of “adventure and riches.” The ship was described in the press as being “about as seaworthy as a cardboard raft,” but Wanderwell managed to skirt Coast Guard regulations by listing the dozen adventurers who had paid about $200 for the trip as crew members.
Most of the seven-man, five-woman “crew” had never set foot on an ocean-going craft, and just two of the men were qualified as able-bodied seamen.
Had the trip occurred a few decades later, the crew of the Carma would have been considered Beatniks or hippies. The group intended to be self-sustaining during the trek by selling paintings and poetry created along the way. The Wanderwells were also negotiating the film rights to the trip.
Wanderwell also wanted to use the trip to publicize his idea for an international police force that would make war obsolete. He had been trying to sell the League of Nations on the idea without success. The trip, he thought, might help create international interest in the idea. Viewing the League of Nations as an international government, Walter wanted to be the head of the League’s police force. To do so, he organized the Work Around the World Educational Club, or WAWEC. Wanderwell assumed the title of the Captain Commanding, with multiple unit leaders around the globe under his direct command.
To join, members had to swear off alcohol and tobacco and adhere to a military-like dress code. The initial sign-up fee was $5, which quickly rose to $200 when WAWEC proved to be a popular idea.
Wanderwell’s money-making schemes earned him a reputation of scam artist; the ultra-paranoid J. Edgar Hoover had his G-men keep a very close watch on WAWEC because he believed that Wanderwell was a con man and because he feared the suspected spy was building a private army, but the FBI never had sufficient evidence to catch him doing anything more than wearing a uniform with a rank he didn’t earn.
On December 5, 1932, Wanderwell was alone in the cabin he shared with Aloha and their two young children. Aloha was in Hollywood making arrangements to sell the movie rights to the adventure, many of the crew were ashore enjoying a last shore leave, and the remainder of the crew — three men and two women — was in the galley talking with eager anticipation of the trip that was to begin shortly.
It was a moonless, foggy night and the tired schooner’s creaking wooden decks and hull almost drowned out the bells and horns that sounded throughout the Long Beach Harbor.
The only incident that had disturbed the preparations for the long sea voyage was the strange disappearance of Wanderwell’s revolver that had vanished several days before. Despite a diligent search by the entire crew, the weapon was never found.
The mess hall conversation was interrupted by a face appearing in the open porthole.
“Is Captain Wanderwell aboard?” asked the man, dressed in a gray coat with the collar pulled up and a cap covering his eyes.
“Yes,” one of the crew replied. “Are you the electrician?”
The stranger answered that he was not the electrical expert the crew was expecting.
The man was directed to the captain’s cabin and the crew all said they heard his footsteps on the deck.
“Hello!” they heard Wanderwell say, more in a surprised manner than one of fear or alarm.
They all testified that they did not hear any conversation, but just a few moments after Wanderwell’s greeting, they heard a single gunshot.
Racing to the cabin, the crew found no sign of the man in gray, but found Wanderwell already dead on the deck. He had been shot through the back. The single bullet passed through his heart.
Robbery was not the motive for the murder, for Wanderwell’s wallet containing $600 in cash was still in his pocket.
At first police speculated that a member or members of the crew killed the captain and detained the group overnight for questioning. Aloha Wanderwell, who had the most solid alibi of the crew and was never thought to have been involved in the murder, did not make things easy for police when she dramatically told them that Wanderwell had accumulated many enemies during his lifetime.
“I can think of a thousand men would might want to kill the captain,” she said. There was serious speculation that the womanizing Wanderwell had been killed by the husband or lover of a woman he had seduced, while others guessed that Wanderwell was murdered by agents of a foreign power who feared the WAWEC’s growing strength.
However, police quickly centered their investigation around a former WAWEC crew member who had led an attempted mutiny against Wanderwell during his last voyage from Buenos Aires to San Francisco. That crewman, a Welsh “soldier-of-fortune” named William “Curly” Guy had been placed in irons aboard the ship and deposited, along with his wife, ashore in Panama.
Guy recently caught up with the Wanderwells (it wasn’t hard to track their movements because of the publicity that they generated) and threatened Wanderwell with violence when the captain refused to return money that Guy had paid for passage to the United States.
“I went to his hotel and found two men who were about to sign up for another of Wanderwell’s cruises,” he told police. “I told them what happened to me and warned them not to have any dealings with him. But I did not kill him.”
After four of the five crew members aboard the Carma identified Guy as the mysterious man in gray, he was charged with killing Wanderwell. Guy, however, had an alibi — he was having dinner with friends miles away when Wanderwell was shot. Six people corroborated his alibi. He made no bones about his feelings for Wanderwell, however.
“I hated Wanderwell. I had reason to hate him,” he told police. “I would not have minded killing him, but I would not have shot him in the back.”
Guy went to trial in February 1933, and after a two-week trial, he was acquitted of the crime. The jurors said the eyewitnesses, who hedged while on the stand, could not overcome Guy’s alibi. Guy, however, didn’t enjoy freedom for long. He was immediately arrested by federal authorities on immigration violations and deported.
Wanderwell’s dream of an international police force died with him, however many of the principals in the strange case went on to illustrious (if somewhat tragic) careers.
Guy was deported to Great Britain after the trial and continued his soldier-of-fortune ways by fighting with the Loyalists during the Spanish Civil War, and with the Chinese partisans after the invasion of China by Japan. During World War II he served as a flight instructor and then as a pilot transporting warplanes across the Atlantic. He was also pilot-in-command when Canadian Prime Minister MacKenzie flew to England to consult with Winston Churchill. Guy reportedly made more transatlantic trips than anyone else before he was killed in a crash in 1941.
The only other person arrested during the Wanderwell investigation, Lord Eugene Montague, younger son of the Earl of Manchester, went on to serve in the French Foreign Legion. Montague was only arrested on a visa violation and was not a suspect in Wanderwell’s death.
Aloha Wanderwell continued her globetrotting ways, marrying again in 1934. She and her second husband, also named Walter, after heading an expedition to Indochina, settled for a time in Cincinnati, Ohio and later in California. She died in California in 1996 at the age of 88.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Did this really happen or was the goon just full of poo poo?

The goon who lived, or the one who died?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Ozz81 posted:

The goon who lived, or the one who died?

Full of poo poo.

Immodium.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

People have mentioned various podcasts that dead with criminal cases in this thread before. My fiancée likes murder documentary shows and she has several out of town trips coming up next month. Can people recommend some good podcasts that deal with murders or unusual crimes? And which ones to avoid?

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Lore kind of covers some of that stuff. It mixes historical context with urban legends and some of the podcast subjects are quite disturbing when looking at murders committed due to insane beliefs.

https://www.lorepodcast.com

wootsie
Feb 27, 2013

Randalor posted:

People have mentioned various podcasts that dead with criminal cases in this thread before. My fiancée likes murder documentary shows and she has several out of town trips coming up next month. Can people recommend some good podcasts that deal with murders or unusual crimes? And which ones to avoid?

Criminal is good. It has little short episodes but doesn't come out frequently but the back catalogue should be good. I also listen to sword and scale, but you have to be careful with some of them. I'd avoid the two part episodes 33 and 34, which is about the murder of Jun Lin and gets gruesome. There's also one about two pedophiles and their online chats being read by robot voices that goes on way too long. His H H Holmes one is great, as is some of the early episodes like the White House boys one, the two on Morgan Ingram, the later one on satanic panic, the conspiracy theory ones like episodes 5 and 6 and the Bluebeards episode. Those are great. It can be hit and miss though.
Obviously gonna recommend the first season of Serial. It's a good listen. Lore is also fascinating, but the guy who does it has a little bit of an odd voice that grates on me after a while.
I also like Invisibilia which isn't crime related, but more about fascinating takes on things that are unseen.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

AzureSkys posted:

Lore kind of covers some of that stuff. It mixes historical context with urban legends and some of the podcast subjects are quite disturbing when looking at murders committed due to insane beliefs.

https://www.lorepodcast.com

Lore has at least one either outright lie or wildly unsubstantiated claim in each episode. It's fun seeing if you can spot it.

wootsie
Feb 27, 2013

End Of Worlds posted:

Lore has at least one either outright lie or wildly unsubstantiated claim in each episode. It's fun seeing if you can spot it.

What? Is this deliberate, like at the end of Astroboy? Or due to lovely research?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Randalor posted:

http://thinkingsidewayspodcast.com/ has a lot of unsolved murder mysteries. They do tend to joke around a lot and tend not to have a great understanding of countries outside of the US but they get in pretty deep.

But hey stop derailing this thread about depressing cases of dead children.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Mary_Jane_Barker
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurore_Gagnon
:smith:

And a terrible, terrible palate cleanser. Terrifying empress who doesn't care much for her husband's favorite concubine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empress_L%C3%BC_Zhi#Roles_in_the_deaths_of_Concubine_Qi_and_Liu_Ruyi
Warning, I almost barfed reading the description. If you've seen "Audition" you probably have an idea of what's going on.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Randalor posted:

I've really been enjoying Missing Maura Murray. It's all about a single missing person case, and the hosts aren't particularly wed to any one theory.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Listen to the Sword and Scale, anything about schizophrenia, tapes being played, Canada, or Internet transcripts should be great.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I like The Generation Why Podcast a lot. Especially now they've gotten rid of the opening announcer who sounded like she was sentencing you to detention for throwing spitballs.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I am so drat glad he realized that his oh-so-90s standup persona wasn't going to cut it anymore and switched over to writing and directing. He's a talented guy.

Are you thinking of his Police Academy voice? Because his standup isnt really like that and hes one of the funniest comedians ever imho

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

I've really been enjoying Missing Maura Murray. It's all about a single missing person case, and the hosts aren't particularly wed to any one theory.

Really enjoying this so far, thanks. Does anybody else have any long form mystery podcasts? (besides Serial)

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

I would never have imagined that sort of horror scenario would be possible just through absent-mindedness and would only happen if you were a neglectful arsehole.
I'm ridiculously forgetful & easily distracted and I just couldn't imagine doing it but by the sounds if it I'd be the ideal sort of person.
Ironically it's my kid is always making fun of how forgetful I can be guess she's lucky I'm not as bad as she thinks.

My dad actually almost left me in the car once when I was a baby. He was supposed to drop me off at the sitter on his way to work but just forgot that day. Luckily he took a corner really fast getting to the office and I said "Wheeee!" loud enough for him to notice.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Some of you may remember this: the body of an escort is found in Long Island. Soon they find a few more bodies, including one man and one infant. Still unsolved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island_serial_killer

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

nocal posted:

Some of you may remember this: the body of an escort is found in Long Island. Soon they find a few more bodies, including one man and one infant. Still unsolved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island_serial_killer

I remember they were saying it could have been two different killers dropping off bodies in the same place which I'm sure led to some really awkward funny interaction with each other.

"Charles." slight nod
"Hank." tips trucker hat

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/03/12/prostitute-found-dead-near-ny-serial-killers-dumping-ground-likely-murdered.html

Saw this update the other day. I'm glad her family were able to get a better autopsy because SCPD have been blowing this case off from the start.

Also that doctor is really wack and I would not be at all surprised if he was the culprit. At least one of the other initial four's family got weird phone calls from the killer.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pienipple posted:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/03/12/prostitute-found-dead-near-ny-serial-killers-dumping-ground-likely-murdered.html

Saw this update the other day. I'm glad her family were able to get a better autopsy because SCPD have been blowing this case off from the start.

Also that doctor is really wack and I would not be at all surprised if he was the culprit. At least one of the other initial four's family got weird phone calls from the killer.

Baden is kind of a weird dude, but he's a pretty good forensic...autopsy-giver-guy? His HBO series is really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHApFy-szg4

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

this is pretty good. i like that they're pretty open about how it's all just speculation and they're mostly just guessing at new theories

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did anything happen with that family who wanted to invalidate the sale of their new house because the previous owners failed to disclose that some weirdo was sending letters about how the house was cursed and he watched them through the walls or whatever?

I hope they got that refund.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Last I heard it was a scam, they were sending the letters themselves.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

The Art Bell "Area 51" caller- someone claiming to be an ex-Area 51 employee calls into a radio show to warn the world about aliens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoFYu2stcHU

The Dyatlov Pass incident- a team of Russian hikers in a remote part of the Urals flee their tents in the middle of the night and their cause of death is ruled to be "a compelling unknown force" :stare:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Ah yes, Dyatlov Pass, a new and novel subject for this thread.