Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
You don't even need a crazy boss soul spear or some rare drop to have a good option. The humble winged spear has more than respectable output, although the move set is mostly pokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Orv posted:

Some spears have strike on their R2s that tend to have pretty good animations, so you can always use one of those.

Even the vanilla "spear" seems good upon trying It, lower stamina loss and that r2 1-2 hits old knights depending on how much you upgrade it. Granted you can mace faster, but that may be riskier.

I am cosplaying as hollow infantry/soldiers and using their rare sword I've gotten on my last two runs, or spear.

My brother bought sotfs on sale for $15 and will coop with me hopefully soon.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Just use Pate's spear, perfect ranged melee weapon, it has a lance R2, and you can get two in one playthrough

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Where the hell is Lucatiel in Earthen Peak in SotFS? I was just ready to fight Smelter when I realized her sign wasn't there and I didn't remember talking to her.

Orv
May 4, 2011
She's in that lower passage in the structure pre-Covetous.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Other great spear options include the Partizan, which has the basic spear moveset with the very wide sweep on the 1h strong attack, with an S in Dex scaling.

Yorgh's spear is more than likely the best, IMO, spear in the game, it uses a lot of Lance, halberd, and twinblade moveset stuff and does so in a way that makes it really hard to read in a PvP situation, and it hits like a truck, and takes infusions like a champ.

Though realistically I don't even really count Yorgh's Spear as a spear, its some weird hybrid bullshit like Santiers except with solid scaling and varied speeds of attack.

How does Pates do with infusion? I'm looking for a spear that'll take magic infusion well.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Just use Spear

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Has the Winged Spear been in all the games so far? Granted it's not exactly unique but it's been useful to me whenever I spot it.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

multijoe posted:

I've made it up to Sinh in The Sunken City now now and these DLC fights are a huge increase in quality, Elana was probably the best caster boss the franchise has seen so far and Sinh fights like a champ in a way that feels pretty fair. Aside from the co-op hell areas I've heard about do the rest of the DLC areas keep up this level of quality?

Sinh is the best dragon fight in the series IMO. Not too frustrating, cool lore-wise, his gimmick is fine, and he really scales up when you summon help, which keeps him from being too easy.

Also, the soundtrack is one of the few standout tracks in the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAVCkVclNR4

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I finally got him after about ten tries, absolutely fantastic fight. I actually got him down to critical HP a couple of times when he broke out a new 'stop stabbing my bum' breath attack which completely blindsided me, sneaky bastard.

Samopsa posted:

:agreed:

Everything about that encounter felt like From firing on all cylinders again, right up there with the best of DS1

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Samopsa posted:

Sinh is the best dragon fight in the series IMO. Not too frustrating, cool lore-wise, his gimmick is fine, and he really scales up when you summon help, which keeps him from being too easy.

I like fighting Sinh a lot and I've finally gotten fairly good at it, but he can be really frustrating sometimes when he just absolutely refuses to stay on the ground.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
My God, the Dragon Aerie is beautiful.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

To the goon that likes Shrine of Amana: I'm crazy aswell for liking Iron Keep (SoTFS) since I'm a guy that don't usually rush and always keep a strike weapon handy that destroys Alonne knights fairly easy. Also once you get the 2nd bonfire just after Smelter, the zone is great for farming armor and weapons.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Samopsa posted:

Again same thing with Fume Knight and Alonne. ESPECIALLY Alonne, just for the music.

https://youtu.be/dh7nTM6D-GU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Guillermus posted:

To the goon that likes Shrine of Amana: I'm crazy aswell for liking Iron Keep (SoTFS) since I'm a guy that don't usually rush and always keep a strike weapon handy that destroys Alonne knights fairly easy. Also once you get the 2nd bonfire just after Smelter, the zone is great for farming armor and weapons.

I don't like alonne knights at all as enemies, but I do like Iron Keep as a whole in SotFS. I feel it was one of the few areas that was significantly more difficult than the original game and really made me change my approach to it.

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011

Hypha posted:

As stupid as it sounds, I really liked the spear in BB. I never played the DLC, so making a fresh character that focuses on spears and sister weapons. Is this a bad idea?

Make sure to try Syan's Halberd when you get it, it's one of my favorite weapons in the game. Halberd running and rolling attacks with spear r1's, and the 2hr1 is unparryable. Just be warned that it's r2's in both 1h and 2h form are beyond useless.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

It's not honor dueling if your friend is coming too, dragon scrubs. :colbert:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

turtlecrunch posted:

It's not honor dueling if your friend is coming too, dragon scrubs. :colbert:

The dragon welcomes you :ironicat:

turtlecrunch posted:

Every time I go to someone else's world every one of them in the level is aggroed. :tinfoil:

they need to stop running past the great knights

or they need to stop attacking the black dragon guys

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 13, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Every time I go to someone else's world every one of them in the level is aggroed. :tinfoil:

e: ok...

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 13, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Guillermus posted:

I'm completely revising my opinion on Shrine of Amana after I just got invaded by someone ... and popped a seed of a Tree of Giants. When I finally saw him he was down to half health and I just clobbered him. So there's that.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I don't like alonne knights at all as enemies, but I do like Iron Keep as a whole in SotFS. I feel it was one of the few areas that was significantly more difficult than the original game and really made me change my approach to it.

My strategy remains the same as it always has: pull enemies with a bow and kill them one at a time. Now there's just more of them. Really the only change I like about Iron Keep is that the dull ember's no longer there.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Can you actually do that now? A lot of the knights rush you from places you can't see, and if you don't know the right place to go, it's impossible to pull them. I always get rushed by several as soon as I walk out into the first big open area, and you can't use the same strategy to pull the knights on the last platform before the smelter demon as well. Before you could just slowly progress through the area in a linear path and deal with enemies as they came. Now, you actually have to plan where to go to pull them safely.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
The worst thing ever is, again, when you're a bell cop and your fellow bell cops are perfectly content to treat bell tower intruders as HONOR DUEL RECIPIENTS instead of free titanite chunks.

Bell Keepers are literally "be a massive raging dick" the covenant and it annoys me when people act otherwise. Don't loving let the host heal, keep the gently caress on him and make him dead.

Also, I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but although Elana and Sinh are fantastic bosses, the entire lead up to fight them is the most obnoxious goddamn area in the game.

fishception fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 13, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I agree that you shouldn't let the hosts heal because then you'd pretty much be going through twelve health bars on the host if you /really/ let them heal like that

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Sperglord Firecock posted:

The worst thing ever is, again, when you're a bell cop and your fellow bell cops are perfectly content to treat bell tower intruders as HONOR DUEL RECIPIENTS instead of free titanite chunks.

Bell Keepers are literally "be a massive raging dick" the covenant and it annoys me when people act otherwise. Don't loving let the host heal, keep the gently caress on him and make him dead.

Also, I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but although Elana and Sinh are fantastic bosses, the entire lead up to fight them is the most obnoxious goddamn area in the game.
You do know that there is a hidden bonfire, yes?

Also, people treat things differently, it happens. Most especially because except for Dragon (and that requires you to be committed instead of just putting on a ring), there are no good working honorable covenants. People in the Blood covenant are far more likely to be dicks about it because it matters if you lose; it doesn't for Bellbros. I don't think it's that hard to understand that people use the honor system there (of all places).

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Simply Simon posted:

You do know that there is a hidden bonfire, yes?

Also, people treat things differently, it happens. Most especially because except for Dragon (and that requires you to be committed instead of just putting on a ring), there are no good working honorable covenants. People in the Blood covenant are far more likely to be dicks about it because it matters if you lose; it doesn't for Bellbros. I don't think it's that hard to understand that people use the honor system there (of all places).

Yes, I do know about the hidden bonfire, but it doesn't change the fact that most of the DLC'S areas are just a slog, on par with NG+ road to the Executioner Chariot.

All I'm saying is that if you're a bellcop, show no mercy and help me kill mans. It's a matter of doing your job most efficiently.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

I don't think it's that hard to understand that people use the honor system there (of all places).

It's exceptionally difficult to understand why they think honor exists at all within the confines of a video game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Yes, I do know about the hidden bonfire, but it doesn't change the fact that most of the DLC'S areas are just a slog, on par with NG+ road to the Executioner Chariot.

All I'm saying is that if you're a bellcop, show no mercy and help me kill mans. It's a matter of doing your job most efficiently.
I want to have a constant stream of one-on-one duels with people while exploring the world, that's nifty and cool. It's nice if Chunks keep coming it, but it's not why I'm doing is.

So no, I won't help you.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Its not about the chunks

its about teleporting in wearing full havels, stripping down to the skivvies, and running around while alternating the left hand from the right hand while the host tries to murder you

bonus points if a second bell bro joins in on the fun

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Orv posted:

It's exceptionally difficult to understand why they think honor exists at all within the confines of a video game.

I agree with the Belfry being the Dark Souls equivalent of a Q3 team deathmatch map, and "honor" is always such a goofy term to apply to video games, but there is such a thing as not being a dick when playing. I'm not going to lob an empty soda cup at you while we're playing a fighting game in the arcade or whatever.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That is an awful analogy.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Simply Simon posted:

I want to have a constant stream of one-on-one duels with people while exploring the world, that's nifty and cool. It's nice if Chunks keep coming it, but it's not why I'm doing is.

So no, I won't help you.

And I want to make anyone who steps into my completely optional "if you go here you are gonna get invaded like crazy" area very very dead in as short or as funny of a time as possible.

So yes, I will interrupt your honor duels.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'll randomly switch between being honorable (because I like watching fights), pretending to be honorable until the fight gets close then backstabbing the host (because I like being a dick), or just murdering them immediately (because I like chunks)

Orv
May 4, 2011
The ultimate answer is just go with the flow. You're there for multiplayer experiences and it's your life you're flushing down the drain of time. But the never really existed Western chivalry bow duel no healing thing will never stop being hilarious.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Orv posted:

The ultimate answer is just go with the flow. You're there for multiplayer experiences and it's your life you're flushing down the drain of time. But the never really existed Western chivalry bow duel no healing thing will never stop being hilarious.

I agree and the only reason I don't heal while being a bellcop is because I'm not doing a Faith build. :(

Might do a Creighton build next though, and he uses the dragonslayer crescent axe, which seems like it'd be good with lightning infusion?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Comes with.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Orv posted:

Comes with.

Yeah that's the main reason I said it'd be good with more Faith scaling in addition to what it already has

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh right you can do that, because ???. Yeah it'd probably do pretty well. I love the move set for PvE but I think it would suffer the mace reach problem even harder in PvP.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Orv posted:

Oh right you can do that, because ???. Yeah it'd probably do pretty well. I love the move set for PvE but I think it would suffer the mace reach problem even harder in PvP.

Try hard PvPing isn't fun in Dark Souls anyways, its about fashion and entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Orv posted:

That is an awful analogy.

Why? I think it's perfectly fine. Whatever you happen to think about how people should feel about video games doesn't matter. If you're making people not have fun you're being a dick. Now if they get bent out of shape and send hatemail about it, that's pretty sad, but no worse than someone complaining that he can't get titanite chunks because he can't win a straight fight. There are plenty of people who go overboard with the e-bushido, but there are also people who just enjoy a duel and want to be sure the other player is having fun. What's intrinsically wrong with that?