Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

kalstrams posted:

This game, in fact, happens to limit player interaction to minimum. :v:
Since we're not having player to player trade, I doubt the publisher can be coerced into reimplementing resource theft into our version of the game.

It's mindboggling to think that this is the same game that we were calling "EVE on the ground" four years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alexander DeLarge posted:

It's mindboggling to think that this is the same game that we were calling "EVE on the ground" four years ago.
There never will be a Korean MMO game to match playerfuckery potential of EVE Online as long as their primary market is Korea. It's just antithesis of what sells there.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

kalstrams posted:

There never will be a Korean MMO game to match playerfuckery potential of EVE Online as long as their primary market is Korea. It's just antithesis of what sells there.

That's the thing though, even with the crazy amounts of pandering they did to Eastern markets, it's not doing too well. If they kept the original design, it would've been seen as "something different" in the West and surely it'd do better than it'll do here now, so they had nothing to lose.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 13, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

That's the thing though, even with the crazy amounts of pandering they did to Eastern markets, it's not doing too well. If they kept the original design, it would've been seen as "something different" in the West and surely it'd do better than it'll do here now, so they had nothing to lose.
If Korean MMO developers would keep up with their early promises, everyone would still be playing ArcheAge.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

kalstrams posted:

If Korean MMO developers would keep up with their early promises, everyone would still be playing ArcheAge.

It's a shame ArcheAge didn't work out. I really liked the world.

Also, how do we know that it wouldn't do well in Korea? I don't think UO/Asheron's Call/Galaxies even operated in Korea. It'd be seen as "doing something different" just as much as it is here.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I like all the pubbies going nuts over not getting a CBT key for a B2P game that gives you CBT keys if you buy it.

I'm not sure if they've thought yet about how they plan on playing the game later.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Also, how do we know that it wouldn't do well in Korea? I don't think UO/Asheron's Call/Galaxies even operated in Korea. It'd be seen as "doing something different" just as much as it is here.
Yah, it was sad to see the changes between Korean closed betas and Russian open beta, sad enough for me not to even seriously consider EU/NA ArcheAge.

I think the only decently popular open PvP MMORPG in Korea is Lineage 1, which is played still because it was literally the first MMORPG that Koreans did get to play, which matches reasonably well my impression that Koreans culturally are conservative traditionalists. Lineage 1 is the most popular MMORPG game in Korea, by a mile. Next two, Maple Story and Icarus Online - neither has any kind of reasonable open world PvP. Then it's Lineage 2, 15 years old at this point and with PvP long since butchered. Then it's Hero Online, Blade & Soul, and Aion - neither has any kind of reasonable open world PvP. Then comes ArcheAge as the 9th most popular MMO game in Korea. Same EVE Online is not in top 100 of most popular MMOs in Korea.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Yes and no. Trion had some CRIPPLING problems publishing AA in the NA market, driven primarily by the fact they had ZERO actual control over the game, not even basics like billing or account management. They were also way behind on localization not by choice, but because someone from the developer actually would get on an airplane with a thumb drive and fly the patch to the NA server cluster and install it manually. You can't make poo poo like that up.

Them later adding Thunderstruck logs and other mats to the cash shop was just a slap in an already bruised face.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

AA has done some good stuff the last few patches, it's a shame it couldn't have launched with 2.0 and forward. Hopefully BDO does well in the West so it can fund further development.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
AA is fundamentally broken on a client trust level and Trion turns everything they touch into rancid poo poo like the retarded brother of King Midas.

Tying a red ribbon on a turd to pretty it up doesn't stop it being a turd.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
So Asia games have to have certain aspects for each main asia market. A few locations dislike pvp but in others they must have pvp. That is why they regionalize games so hard.

They are fully capable of bringing a more pvp focused game to the US or add things back in like the cart robbing if the audience desires it. The main problem for the US market is that the people in charge of the regionalization in the US, the local devs. Sometimes the devs have their own system that they want to see or listen to very vocal minorities on forums, or their whales. As of late, those people have desired for less pvp in video games.

We are kinda lucky that I know of at least one person on the BDO team that was a huge fan of the pvp in wushu, a game that gave you this prompt when you logged in.

They are probably the person on the team who is asking for things like a bounty system to be put in.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Good

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

See the wierd thing about Wushu is that it is the exact opposit of what is going on here. They made the mmo with all the bells and whistles as a normal mmo with quests and mob packs everywhere and then suddenly without reason they gutted it and made it totally worthless. There was a gently caress ton of just random rear end packs of mobs and entire zones filled with just hubs and mobs and yet they literally served no purpose. They dropped pennies of bound money that has near no point and there was no combat exp in the game and it was gained by doing group dances. Just thousands of fully modeled and animated mobs and even some named ones that did gently caress all nothing and were not attached to anything. Then in extremely rare circumstances a random rear end npc will appear before you and offer you a quest to kill one guy that dies in a single blow for some rare rear end item or skill.

Black Desert gutted their living world and PvP. Wushu gutted their entire PvE.

Black desert has already locked in the decision to make the game 100% dead in a month. There is zero interaction between players allowed and PvP is highly punished it makes you wonder why it is even in the loving game. Guilds are highly complicated but serve no noticeable purpose. The entire reason Wushu lasted way past what it should have with all the fuckery going on in Snail games is because the players and their interactions are what literally kept the game going. Then they had enough of that and just stepped in and cash shop killed it because they no poo poo hate americans.

It makes no loving sense that the loving MMO market keeps designing poo poo like this. You could get vastly more features and longevity out of a loving modded minecraft server than making MMOs the way the currently do.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

drink you are drunk and need to return to your home

the pre CBT2 pvp punishments are light at best, even the karma gain / loss

the post might be better

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Drinkfist posted:

See the wierd thing about Wushu is that it is the exact opposit of what is going on here. They made the mmo with all the bells and whistles as a normal mmo with quests and mob packs everywhere and then suddenly without reason they gutted it and made it totally worthless. There was a gently caress ton of just random rear end packs of mobs and entire zones filled with just hubs and mobs and yet they literally served no purpose. They dropped pennies of bound money that has near no point and there was no combat exp in the game and it was gained by doing group dances. Just thousands of fully modeled and animated mobs and even some named ones that did gently caress all nothing and were not attached to anything. Then in extremely rare circumstances a random rear end npc will appear before you and offer you a quest to kill one guy that dies in a single blow for some rare rear end item or skill.

Black desert has already locked in the decision to make the game 100% dead in a month. There is zero interaction between players allowed and PvP is highly punished it makes you wonder why it is even in the loving game. Guilds are highly complicated but serve no noticeable purpose. The entire reason Wushu lasted way past what it should have with all the fuckery going on in Snail games is because the players and their interactions are what literally kept the game going. Then they had enough of that and just stepped in and cash shop killed it because they no poo poo hate americans.

It makes no loving sense that the loving MMO market keeps designing poo poo like this. You could get vastly more features and longevity out of a loving modded minecraft server than making MMOs the way the currently do.

Eonwe posted:

drinkfist you are a SA forums treasure :allears:

Nailing it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Drinkfist posted:

I keep attacking this sentence with all combos I have, but it still does not reward me with knowledge.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

kalstrams posted:

I keep attacking this sentence with all combos I have, but it still does not reward me with knowledge.

Perhaps if we both do a dance together, and Eonwe does not AFK on round 14, we can gain the knowledge we need.

e: Why the gently caress does this new thread already have seven pages. Have you guys actually played this game? Do you realize what even 2x KR grind means, let alone 4x? Does +20 mean anything to you?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

kalstrams posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_rH4yGFT-E

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

FireWhizzle posted:

Perhaps if we both do a dance together, and Eonwe does not AFK on round 14, we can gain the knowledge we need.

e: Why the gently caress does this new thread already have seven pages. Have you guys actually played this game? Do you realize what even 2x KR grind means, let alone 4x? Does +20 mean anything to you?

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

FireWhizzle posted:

bigger numbers is better right?

i'm sorry, i've never actually played an mmo before

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
As a KR player that has grinded in most of the patches, the content is boring as gently caress and couldn't be over quicker. Does this upset you?

Yes

No

I love BDO

Please choose one

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

FireWhizzle posted:

As a KR player that has grinded in most of the patches, the content is boring as gently caress and couldn't be over quicker. Does this upset you?

Yes

No

I love BDO

Please choose one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrOyyfmvrjY

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbom84mybGU

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

kalstrams posted:

There's lots of hate for Valkyries.

how come

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FireWhizzle posted:

Epistemes are plentiful, and some of us do play right now, be it Korea, Japan, or Russia. +20 is :suicide: but also irrelevant to the experience rate, which is one of the regional differences.

Edit:

FireWhizzle posted:

Yes

No

I love BDO

Please choose one
I love BDO Just watch the following video, at least the first two minutes of it without skipping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ2zZWZwY6A

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 13, 2016

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

kalstrams posted:

Epistemes are plentiful, and some of us do play right now, be it Korea, Japan, or Russia. +20 is :suicide: but also irrelevant to the experience rate, which is one of the regional differences.

People don't take context and time into account :(

BDO release was competing with late AA in KR, and they wanted to do it better. What they found is that since much of the playerbase overlapped, and the playerbase wante..

you know what gently caress it we'll skip the holy poo poo patches

+20 is not suicide on KR. It's a quick grind to max, and a hard think about how you want to acquire money to be able to afford +20 gear. +20 is the starting point for endgame, as it gets better than that. You need to think about farming the world boss(es) regularly, camping the market for drops/gains, and making horses sex, so you can sell the sex products for money.

PVP? Na, that doesn't really net you much money but is fun I guess

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

FireWhizzle posted:

BDO release was competing with late AA in KR, and they wanted to do it better. What they found is that since much of the playerbase overlapped, and the playerbase wante..

+20 is not suicide on KR. It's a quick grind to max, and a hard think about how you want to acquire money to be able to afford +20 gear. +20 is the starting point for endgame, as it gets better than that. You need to think about farming the world boss(es) regularly, camping the market for drops/gains, and making horses sex, so you can sell the sex products for money.

Are you defending current NA exp rates?

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Hy_C posted:

In the words of our dear Eonwe:

lmao, no

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hy_C posted:

I think they make point that in the long run +20 is achievable simpler than buying it for 13 thousand USD like the best geared player on Russian servers did.
Though I'm not quite sure what the context line is about.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

holy poo poo :eonwe:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

When I logged onto the website right on the dot (18:00 UTC), trying to refresh, error after error occurred. It took 45 minutes just to SEE the screen that would allow me to make a family name and then I got another few more errors. Naturally by the time I was able to log on completely, all the names I wanted were already taken by that point. (And yes my PC and internet are awesome). So my question is, why does EVERY pre-order client get to reserve names all at the EXACT same time on a server that can't even dream of handling that kind of traffic? It's black desert online, not google. (Google and Google logo are registered trademarks of Google Inc.) If the admission onto the servers is staggered, why isn't the ability to reserve a name staggered as well?? It should be staggered by at least a day to give people who purchased conqueror's package a chance to log on and make a name that first day. (Explorer's package the second day, Traveler's package the third.) Or allow people to make names a couple days prior to their ability to play BDO for the first time, as their "Package" indicates. Consider all the people who were at hard work that Tuesday morning (or slacking off at work) and had no chance to make a family/character name. Little do they know ALL good names were gone within the hour! I paid $100.00 for this game and could have EASILY been beaten out by a person who ONLY paid $30.00 for the game and won't even play the game for a few weeks afterwards. (Jokingly) But hey, he's got the name I wanted, so he's set! Seriously though, this definately needs to be fixed! I know of several very angry people whom this also happened to, buying the conqueror's package and not being able to make it onto the website, like some poor man's lottery. People who spent the most money on this game should have first rights to names. Second should have second rights and third to third. Congratulations to those whose pressing F5 skills were impressive. My condolences to the other 95% who failed to click refresh "correctly". Thank you very much for your time and consideration in reading this.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?

kalstrams posted:

When I logged onto the website right on the dot (18:00 UTC), trying to refresh, error after error occurred. It took 45 minutes just to SEE the screen that would allow me to make a family name and then I got another few more errors. Naturally by the time I was able to log on completely, all the names I wanted were already taken by that point. (And yes my PC and internet are awesome). So my question is, why does EVERY pre-order client get to reserve names all at the EXACT same time on a server that can't even dream of handling that kind of traffic? It's black desert online, not google. (Google and Google logo are registered trademarks of Google Inc.) If the admission onto the servers is staggered, why isn't the ability to reserve a name staggered as well?? It should be staggered by at least a day to give people who purchased conqueror's package a chance to log on and make a name that first day. (Explorer's package the second day, Traveler's package the third.) Or allow people to make names a couple days prior to their ability to play BDO for the first time, as their "Package" indicates. Consider all the people who were at hard work that Tuesday morning (or slacking off at work) and had no chance to make a family/character name. Little do they know ALL good names were gone within the hour! I paid $100.00 for this game and could have EASILY been beaten out by a person who ONLY paid $30.00 for the game and won't even play the game for a few weeks afterwards. (Jokingly) But hey, he's got the name I wanted, so he's set! Seriously though, this definately needs to be fixed! I know of several very angry people whom this also happened to, buying the conqueror's package and not being able to make it onto the website, like some poor man's lottery. People who spent the most money on this game should have first rights to names. Second should have second rights and third to third. Congratulations to those whose pressing F5 skills were impressive. My condolences to the other 95% who failed to click refresh "correctly". Thank you very much for your time and consideration in reading this.

no, thank you.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I think an Optional Subscription Service for Black Desert Online will be great for those that prefer to play that way.

• Players that subscribe will support Black Desert Online development.
  • Players that opt to B2P, will choose how much this game is worth.
By being optional, it's not forcing players to pay a monthly fee. This will make the game a hybrid B2P/Subscription model. Both type of players will be supporting Black Desert Online, that means more content can be created faster.

Now for example, just look at Star Citizen, https://robertsspaceindustries.com/faq/subscriptions it is B2P, and it has an optional subscription model for those that want to utilize it. "The additional revenues also fund the development and release of subscriber-exclusive perks and merchandise." I see no reason why Black Desert Online can't take this approach.

Think about it. More revenue creates more content, and that content can be delivered to us at a much faster rate.

What do you think?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

the next dsm is going to have a special page dedicated to star citizen

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

FireWhizzle posted:

Have things changed since korean release becase im pretty sure that anything after 15 was in the single digit percent chances and would cause your weapon to lose durability which made you have to buy more of the same weapon to recover it.

It was a loving hell grind. Steparu mentioned as much and the dude loves grinding

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

kalstrams posted:

I think an Optional Subscription Service for Black Desert Online will be great for those that prefer to play that way.

• Players that subscribe will support Black Desert Online development.
  • Players that opt to B2P, will choose how much this game is worth.
By being optional, it's not forcing players to pay a monthly fee. This will make the game a hybrid B2P/Subscription model. Both type of players will be supporting Black Desert Online, that means more content can be created faster.

Now for example, just look at Star Citizen, https://robertsspaceindustries.com/faq/subscriptions it is B2P, and it has an optional subscription model for those that want to utilize it. "The additional revenues also fund the development and release of subscriber-exclusive perks and merchandise." I see no reason why Black Desert Online can't take this approach.

Think about it. More revenue creates more content, and that content can be delivered to us at a much faster rate.

What do you think?

All games should be more like star citizen.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
source your quotes

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

2DCAT posted:

All games should be more like star citizen.

:yikes:

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.
SC thread is leaking, even in a sub sub forum. None will be spared from the stimpire :ohdear:

Godmode Enabled fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

kalstrams posted:

Just watch the following video, at least the first two minutes of it without skipping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ2zZWZwY6A

Well I was gonna do sorceress but jesus christ. are they still that invincible? :eonwe: