Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xae posted:

The dumbest thing about this post is that you assume things not talked about to avoid discussing the point. Despite it being a response to a post about how match teaching changed in the 70s and 80s.

So not even just assuming. Just outright lying to avoid the point.

Bravo.

The lesson of the last 50+ years of education is that parents are the most important part of a child's education. Except when it comes to math. Then gently caress 'em. We got new methods that are totally better than parental involvement.

Hey wait. Why aren't kids doing well in math?

:rolleyes:

Yes, "Old math" is literally identical to systemic child abuse.

Most adults are really, really bad at math.

Sorry about the metaphor though. It was the first thing that jumped out at me as a "big change in child rearing that people try to ignore".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Parents don't need to understand the material being taught to participate in education and to support their children's schooling, and thank God for that.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Xae posted:

The dumbest thing about this post is that you assume things not talked about to avoid discussing the point. Despite it being a response to a post about how match teaching changed in the 70s and 80s.

Bravo.

The lesson of the last 50+ years of education is that parents are the most important part of a child's education. Except when it comes to math. Then gently caress 'em. We got new methods that are totally better than parental involvement.

:rolleyes:

Yes, "Old math" is literally identical to systemic child abuse.

The real question is do you prefer Newtonian or Leibniz notation? Your entire posting career depends on this answer.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Xae posted:

Bravo.

It's OK to learn new things.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Antti posted:

Parents don't need to understand the material being taught to participate in education and to support their children's schooling, and thank God for that.

Seriously. Parental involvement isn't short-hand for "do your kid's work" or "be the backup teacher." A parent supporting their child in school should involve making sure they do their homework, making sure they get to school on time fed and well-rested, and keeping in touch with their teachers about their progress. Yeah, relearning fractions might let you help your kid on an assignment, but it's the absolutely least important thing you could do.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a parent so I don't know exactly how it works, but when I was younger my parents did everything they could to foster some sense of curiosity and help me enjoy the process of learning new poo poo. This made many subjects in school actually interesting and fun because when you actually like finding out new things it turns out school isn't as bad.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Joementum posted:

DeRay made two web videos for his mayoral campaign, which you can watch here. Campaign slogan: "Love is the why".

YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssssssssssssss

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

"It might have been."
Pillbug
I would suspect that if you're a parent who cares enough to help their child with math homework, it wouldn't be too difficult to hit up Professor Google to figure out how to help your kid with the Common Core math techniques.

But I also suspect that the issue has less to do with teaching children and more to do with raging against "big government liberals indoctrinating our impressionable youth with garbage nonsense". So, assuming that these people genuinely care about quality of math education is giving them a lot of credit, I think.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

On Terra Firma posted:

I'm not a parent so I don't know exactly how it works, but when I was younger my parents did everything they could to foster some sense of curiosity and help me enjoy the process of learning new poo poo. This made many subjects in school actually interesting and fun because when you actually like finding out new things it turns out school isn't as bad.

Well you don't have to understand your kid's math homework to take them to a museum or to have a group like Mad Science work your kid's birthday party.

My parents read to me a lot as a kid and took me to the zoo and aquarium. We went on vacations to cave formations and national parks. No math required.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I would suspect that if you're a parent who cares enough to help their child with math homework, it wouldn't be too difficult to hit up Professor Google to figure out how to help your kid with the Common Core math techniques.

But I also suspect that the issue has less to do with teaching children and more to do with raging against "big government liberals indoctrinating our impressionable youth with garbage nonsense". So, assuming that these people genuinely care about quality of math education is giving them a lot of credit, I think.

I had a guy at work complain about Common Core. He doesn't actually have school age children, and when pressed his argument boiled down to "I just think the Federal government should stay out of education!"

He's a government employee.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Litany Unheard posted:

I had a guy at work complain about Common Core. He doesn't actually have school age children, and when pressed his argument boiled down to "I just think the Federal government should stay out of education!"

I think the Federal Government needs more control and States need less.

I also think that Common Core Math is a bad system. And the drop in test scores we're seeing backs that up. My problem isn't that the Fed came up with a system, my problem is that they came up with a bad system.

But since half the states involved in Common Core have altered or dropped the standards it'll be an academic argument in a few years.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Litany Unheard posted:

It's really amazing how often this is the case.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm a little worried about the way some of these techniques are being taught. I've worked with a good number of kids doing their homework who lack the context to do their assignments and don't understand the reasoning behind what they've been taught. That's not necessarily new, but I think they are rushing the curriculum and some teachers don't have the experience to help the kids understand.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

O

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

"It might have been."
Pillbug
It would also be really nice if the political situation surrounding the debate allowed for more constructive options other than "keep the current system as is" vs. "burn Common Core and the Dept. of Education to the ground, hail satan."

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It's really amazing how often this is the case.

Americans have a really skewed view on what the idea of 'government' is supposed to look like. I blame our founding fathers for trying to start with the Articles of Confederation and then working our way back to federalism from there.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Pretty simple when you break down the function.

Litany Unheard posted:

Seriously. Parental involvement isn't short-hand for "do your kid's work" or "be the backup teacher." A parent supporting their child in school should involve making sure they do their homework, making sure they get to school on time fed and well-rested, and keeping in touch with their teachers about their progress. Yeah, relearning fractions might let you help your kid on an assignment, but it's the absolutely least important thing you could do.

This is so true. I'm going to add it's important to learn how to fail at stuff too, and have a child to learn how to ask for help from not their parents. Especially when your parent is railing against the fed because they wont get their hands out of their medicare.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Americans have a really skewed view on what the idea of 'government' is supposed to look like. I blame our founding fathers for trying to start with the Articles of Confederation and then working our way back to federalism from there.

Looking at the EU, the theory checks out.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Litany Unheard posted:

Litany Unheard posted:

Well you don't have to understand your kid's math homework to take them to a museum or to have a group like Mad Science work your kid's birthday party.

My parents read to me a lot as a kid and took me to the zoo and aquarium. We went on vacations to cave formations and national parks. No math required.

On Terra Firma posted:

Consider yourselves extremely lucky you didn't have authoritarian parents incapable of empathy or moving past their narcissism/venting their abusive marriage issues to their kids/trying to live vicariously through their kids when you were growing up.

Yes, I have a chip on my shoulder, why do you ask?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

DeRay made two web videos for his mayoral campaign, which you can watch here. Campaign slogan: "Love is the why".

Excellent videos, great luck to him.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Xae posted:

I think the Federal Government needs more control and States need less.

I also think that Common Core Math is a bad system. And the drop in test scores we're seeing backs that up. My problem isn't that the Fed came up with a system, my problem is that they came up with a bad system.

But since half the states involved in Common Core have altered or dropped the standards it'll be an academic argument in a few years.

I thought test scores among white students are the highest they've been while test scores among minority students are the lowest they've ever been.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

I thought test scores among white students are the highest they've been while test scores among minority students are the lowest they've ever been.

That's working as intended then. Move along.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

SedanChair posted:

I'm a little worried about the way some of these techniques are being taught. I've worked with a good number of kids doing their homework who lack the context to do their assignments and don't understand the reasoning behind what they've been taught. That's not necessarily new, but I think they are rushing the curriculum and some teachers don't have the experience to help the kids understand.

I think this has a lot more to do with the individual teacher than the curriculum.

I had a math teacher that answered every question by pointing to a page in the book and telling us to read it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Internet Webguy posted:

I think this has a lot more to do with the individual teacher than the curriculum.

I had a math teacher that answered every question by pointing to a page in the book and telling us to read it.

On the other hand, I had an amazing AP Calculus teacher in public high school that helped push us to really enjoy math while in her class in her last year before she retired and I think most of us got 4s and 5s on the AP test, and I'm not even a math guy. She made solving integrals and Riemann sums fun and interesting.

Fight tooth and nail to prevent cuts to public education, is what I'm saying.

E: BTW people who vote against public education because "hey, I don't have any kids (in school), why should I pay taxes for local schools!?" are the loving worst.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Internet Webguy posted:

My math teacher told us we don't need math anyway since we're all gonna end up behind cash registers and that does half the work for us. It really does depend on the teacher more so than the curriculum imo.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That's what I mean, and given the current quality and burnout level of the worst teachers it could be argued that their students would be better off with an old curriculum that the teacher doesn't have to expend any effort to learn. That sounds really cynical and playing into the narrative of failing public schools, but if there is a recent increasing disparity in test scores between white and black students this would go a long way to explaining it.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

nutranurse posted:

My math teacher told us we don't need math anyway since we're all gonna end up behind cash registers and that does half the work for us. It really does depend on the teacher more so than the curriculum imo.

My geometry teacher once said "2 Fs, 20 Fs, I don't care I get the same paycheck." Such were the underpinnings of my math education. I think of these people when I think of pushback to a less route system of learning.

I then went on to major in physics, cause gently caress that guy. :colbert:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I cannot think of a more boring subject than math.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Freakazoid_ posted:

English should probably be split into a writing and a reading class.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

computer parts posted:

English should probably be split into a writing and a reading class.

Make the kids diagram sentences. Make them suffer like I did.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Freakazoid_ posted:

Tax law. Tax law is more boring.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

Wow. Someone never studied Relational Normal Forms.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I will say, the common core literature and film/documentary study materials I've seen look excellent and hard to screw up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FourLeaf posted:

There's this ABC special on with the mother of Dylan Klebold and it's really rubbing me the wrong way. Diane Sawyer's already asked the question "weren't you concerned when your son bought that long trenchcoat???" It's such a stupid question and instantly takes me back to that horrible 'trenchcoats/video games/Marilyn Manson makes kids violent' hysteria of that time period.

whats sad is, if klebold hadnt met Harris, he may have ended up being a relatively normal adult. apparently he was more of typical angst ridden highschool kid and he might of had depression. Harris was a stone cold sociopath who was looking for a follower/lackey. that doesnt excuse kleibold for any of the poo poo

http://www.amazon.com/Columbine-Dave-Cullen/dp/0446546925

this books is pretty much the best and most definative guide on columbine. it dispels alot of the myths like the trench coat mafia/doom/jesus saves evangelical poo poo. apparently evangelicals swarmed the place for weeks after the shooting. we had some of them come to our high school, they were pricks.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Marilyn Mansion put hidden backwards messages in Doom that caused Columbine, duh.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

"It might have been."
Pillbug

Freakazoid_ posted:

I always hated math, until I started using it heavily in my science classes, which I did enjoy. The way math is taught makes it feel sort of pointless because you don't know why the things you're learning are useful.

It's like if you taught a classroom full of space aliens about the concept of a hammer, and how to use a hammer, and so on, but you never explained what a nail is or what carpentry is or provided any sort of context at all. The way math is taught just feels very confusing and useless.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

DemeaninDemon posted:

I took a combination accounting and basic law class in high school and generally liked it. If I had a tax law class I bet I would've liked it too. Also sounds useful once a year, whereas I haven't needed algebra in almost 20 years.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I always hated math, until I started using it heavily in my science classes, which I did enjoy. The way math is taught makes it feel sort of pointless because you don't know why the things you're learning are useful.

It's like if you taught a classroom full of space aliens about the concept of a hammer, and how to use a hammer, and so on, but you never explained what a nail is or what carpentry is or provided any sort of context at all. The way math is taught just feels very confusing and useless.

quote:

A musician wakes from a terrible nightmare. In his dream he finds himself in a society where music education has been made mandatory. “We are helping our students become more competitive in an increasingly sound-filled world.” Educators, school systems, and the state are put in charge of this vital project. Studies are commissioned, committees are formed, and decisions are made— all without the advice or participation of a single working musician or composer.

Since musicians are known to set down their ideas in the form of sheet music, these curious black dots and lines must constitute the “language of music.” It is imperative that students become fluent in this language if they are to attain any degree of musical competence; indeed, it would be ludicrous to expect a child to sing a song or play an instrument without having a thorough grounding in music notation and theory. Playing and listening to music, let alone composing an original piece, are considered very advanced topics and are generally put off until college, and more often graduate school.

As for the primary and secondary schools, their mission is to train students to use this language— to jiggle symbols around according to a fixed set of rules: “Music class is where we take out our staff paper, our teacher puts some notes on the board, and we copy them or transpose them into a different key. We have to make sure to get the clefs and key signatures right, and our teacher is very picky about making sure we fill in our quarter-notes completely. One time we had a chromatic scale problem and I did it right, but the teacher gave me no credit because I had the stems pointing the wrong way.”

In their wisdom, educators soon realize that even very young children can be given this kind of musical instruction. In fact it is considered quite shameful if one’s third-grader hasn’t completely memorized his circle of fifths. “I’ll have to get my son a music tutor. He simply won’t apply himself to his music homework. He says it’s boring. He just sits there staring out the window, humming tunes to himself and making up silly songs.”

A Mathematician’s Lament by Paul Lockhart

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Freakazoid_ posted:

I took a combination accounting and basic law class in high school and generally liked it. If I had a tax law class I bet I would've liked it too. Also sounds useful once a year, whereas I haven't needed algebra in almost 20 years.

That last sentence is the dumbest complaint about education ever. You should feel bad.

Also I changed my mind. Fundamental thermos more boring than tax law.

Edit: I'm biased towards math though. Graduate degree's in physical chemistry which is the result if math, chemistry, and Satan had a threesome.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think math in the context of something nearly immediately rewarding and engaging like a simple Unity 3D game would help a lot.

Like, what's a vector? When are vector's useful? Well they're used all the time in games and things like the angle between two vectors, dot products, and cross products, and then matrices, all of this is used all the time in graphics and gaming.

• Locked thread