Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Wait, when was real estate ever even supposedly about providing homes rather than getting peoples' money? Real question--I was never aware of that second thing as a motivator or factor, with the exception of nonprofits with that explicit mission (Habitat for Humanity, etc)

Well, yeah, but the idea that the real estate industry is somehow benevolent operators helping Good Honest Americans become God-Fearing Homeowners and not Lazy Apartment Dwellers and therefore should be left alone for the good of society definitely exists.

And in theory, real estate is just a market like any other, and in an ideal world and with proper regulation it can be efficient at providing people with land/homes. I mean you get all the same problems as you do with the healthcare market, but still, in Libertopia...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

foobardog posted:

Well, yeah, but the idea that the real estate industry is somehow benevolent operators helping Good Honest Americans become God-Fearing Homeowners and not Lazy Apartment Dwellers and therefore should be left alone for the good of society definitely exists.

And in theory, real estate is just a market like any other, and in an ideal world and with proper regulation it can be efficient at providing people with land/homes. I mean you get all the same problems as you do with the healthcare market, but still, in Libertopia...

The modern real estate market for homes is essentially set up to increase the velocity of money in said market. Various research showed that homeowners spent more on consumer goods than renters, and so Fannie Mae and such were set up to speed and increase the number of loans made to encourage people to buy homes (or, rather, take out mortgages). Basically it set up a system where banks make a loan, then hand the loan over to a Federal clearinghouse and get their money back, and can then turn around and make a new loan to someone else. This system ended being exploited as hell, with the most telling example being the "subprime" mortgage fiasco which contributed to the 2008 recession.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

foobardog posted:

Interesting, sounds like something I'll be reading more about later. I've always assumed it's just been a market like any other, but I can definitely see this. Thanks!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

SousaphoneColossus posted:

I thought the panhandle had a reputation of containing ID's most overt neonazis/white supremacists. Am I misremembering that?

The attempted bombing of the MLK day parade in Spokane was a KKKcrazy from the handle and that was just a few years ago, so yeah.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Tigntink posted:

The attempted bombing of the MLK day parade in Spokane was a KKKcrazy from the handle and that was just a few years ago, so yeah.

My wife has uncles that live in either the pan handle or a lovely little village called whitehaven, CA.

Hrm....

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It's happening again

https://twitter.com/EileenParkKOIN/status/697597437163106304

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

You mean it's still happening.

Literally nothing has changed since the charges were unsealed besides Fry getting a bigger audience to complain to. The FBI probably got tired of listening to him.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
"Plz let us leave like we were never here, ok? We don't want to be in trouble with the law."

Those guys. :allears:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Internet Webguy posted:

You mean it's still happening.

Literally nothing has changed since the charges were unsealed besides Fry getting a bigger audience to complain to. The FBI probably got tired of listening to him.
Oh, okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOlrSain0lk

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Alright, so I have to admit I was wrong, Cliven Bundy is in Multnomah County Jail right now.

Other than that nothing has happened besides a Nevada state legislator and televangelist trying to get attention by helping the 4 holdouts surrender.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
All this is about 4 guys?

Just send in the swat with some teargas or something? They do 100x more for the labor day protests.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

effectual posted:

All this is about 4 guys?

Just send in the swat with some teargas or something? They do 100x more for the labor day protests.
The FBI also arrested Cliven Bundy at the airport this evening, who hadn't been at the refuge, but had been telling the people at the refuge to stay and resist. Also some kids showed up, apparently.

https://twitter.com/amandapeacher/status/697662238006509568

And Nevada state congressperson and insane woman Michele Fiore says they're going to turn themselves in today.

https://twitter.com/ryanjhaas/status/697651847025160192

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 11, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Finally, a bit of an answer on the issue of I-1183 and how good/bad it's been for the state:

http://www.theheraldbusinessjournal.com/article/20160210/BIZ/160219996/1172/The-price-of-liquor

Prices on average are 20% higher, consumption is 20% higher, state revenues are up.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Shoutout to the LIGO personnel in Richland!

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Proving Einstein right is a pretty nice payback for having to live in the Tri-cities.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Gerund posted:

Proving Einstein right is a pretty nice payback for having to live in the Tri-cities.

No poo poo. It's still as nice as it gets on the east side of the state, probably largely due to the high number of post-secondary degrees thanks to PNNL. That doesn't mean 'great', just better than the surroundings.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Now that the Malheur County refuge occupation is over we can get back to our regu--what the gently caress

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
What? That still happens?

It's got to be a side effect of testing out time travel machines, before they work out the kinks. A person is dressed in period clothes, they try to send them back, but instead just send everything below the subject's ankles.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
China is putting too much lead in the jump ropes these days.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

anthonypants posted:

Now that the Malheur County refuge occupation is over we can get back to our regu--what the gently caress

My understanding is that sometimes these are folks who have fallen overboard, floated around for a while decomposing and since the shoe floats that is all that ends up on land.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Solkanar512 posted:

My understanding is that sometimes these are folks who have fallen overboard, floated around for a while decomposing and since the shoe floats that is all that ends up on land.

That is one possible explanation, but there are a lot of questions left unanswered, such as why this has happened in a relatively restricted geographical area.

From some cursory research (meaning reading the wikipedia article), it really is something that is as anomalous as it seems.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
God the shoe thing is so weird. I'm still betting on serial killer.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

glowing-fish posted:

That is one possible explanation, but there are a lot of questions left unanswered, such as why this has happened in a relatively restricted geographical area.

From some cursory research (meaning reading the wikipedia article), it really is something that is as anomalous as it seems.

Oh, I thought people were thinking that the shoe/foot thing was weird. I wasn't aware of the isolated geography of these events.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Solkanar512 posted:

Oh, I thought people were thinking that the shoe/foot thing was weird. I wasn't aware of the isolated geography of these events.

It's pretty much the Salish Sea and nowhere else. I think I once read an explanation that involved prevailing currents from the other side of the Pacific.
The Boxing Day Tsunami happened in late 2004. The first feet started showing up in 2007. A lot of tsunami debris of Japan made it over here.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 12, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
There's a lot of human trafficking that goes on here, and we don't know about most of it. People who die or are killed on the trip are disposed of, that would be my guess.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

SedanChair posted:

There's a lot of human trafficking that goes on here, and we don't know about most of it. People who die or are killed on the trip are disposed of, that would be my guess.

gently caress :(

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
http://www.kgw.com/news/crime/suspect-kills-man-with-shovel-deputies-say/39621417

quote:

METZGER, Ore. – The man found dead after deputies responded to a report of someone being attacked with a shovel Wednesday is being remembered as “a pillar in the Muslim community.”

Family and friends, who spent the day gathered at 68-year-old Abdul Jamil Kamawal’s home in Metzger, were too devastated to go on camera but said he was “the type of person you could ask for anything.”

During his nearly 22-year career as a survey technician with Washington County, they say he worked tirelessly to help refugees settle in the Portland area.

Anyone who knew Kamawal has no idea why someone would ever want to harm him, let alone kill him.

But investigators with the Washington County Sheriff’s Office say that’s exactly what 27-year-old Michael Troxell did.

The California native, who was staying with family in the area, faced a judge Thursday afternoon, charged with murder.

Deputies say he killed Kamawal Wednesday. They found him near the body, which was covered in straw.

They say Troxell was doing construction work outside Kamawal’s house, one of a few that sits on his Metzger property. Beyond that, deputies don’t believe the two knew each other.

At this point they know of no motive and no witnesses, and they are waiting on autopsy results to determine whether the shovel, also recovered at the scene, was used in the murder.

Troxell is being held without bail, and is due back in court on Thursday, February 18.

Andrew Singelakis, Director of the Washington County Department of Land Use & Transportation, released the following statement about Kamawal’s death:

Jamil Kamawal, a retired survey technician from Washington County Department of Land Use &Transportation (LUT), was killed Wednesday (Feb. 10, 2016).

Most LUT employees learned of Jamil's death this morning. Though he retired more than 10 years ago, he is remembered with affection by many. Several people have recalled the pride Jamil took in becoming an American citizen. He often went back to Afghanistan help rebuild his home village of Kama, and he founded two non-profit organizations – the Afghan Aid Association and the Oregon-based Kama Relief Corp. Both organizations are dedicated to rebuilding lives and communities in Afghanistan. Employees are speaking about how kind Jamil was; former coworkers have said that working with Jamil made them better, kinder people.

Jamil was an outstanding member of both his American and Afghanistan communities, a wonderful family man, and a fantastic member of the LUT community. He worked with us as a survey technician from 1985 to 2007.

His death is a terrible tragedy. Washington County, and LUT in particular, extend our condolences to his family, friends and the Portland-area Muslim community.

The suspect:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

quote:

The California native,

there should be a law.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lotta ships in and out of Puget sound. I have heard anecdotally of Chinese crews throwing stowaways over the side because it's significantly easier than arriving in a US port with a stowaway to deal with.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Here's a quote from that article you guys are too scared of reading

quote:

In British Columbia, two of the feet have since been identified as having belonged to people with mental illness, while three others were linked to individuals who probably died of natural causes.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

Here's a quote from that article you guys are too scared of reading

I did read it, that's 2 of 13 feet definitively identified, three maybes and 8 "who knows."

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SedanChair posted:

I did read it, that's 2 of 13 feet definitively identified, three maybes and 8 "who knows."

I'm not saying it was aliens, but it was aliens.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
"Finding one foot is like a million to one odds,” Cox said, “but to find two is crazy. I’ve heard of dancers with two left feet, but come on.”

Everybody's a comedian.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Mafia and chainsaws and crab traps.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

FRINGE posted:

Mafia and chainsaws and crab traps.

They stole my last wishes plan!

At least they are not throwing a free crab dinner too.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Has anyone done a study as to why certain topics produce long, passionate arguing over others? It'd be interesting if there were specific components that when mashed together could reliably produce endless, boring debate. For example, take bikechat. Is it because the solution seems unclear to people, and both evidence and anecdotes seem to contradict each other? Is it because everyone has an anecdotes, and therefore have a stronger reaction to the issue because of their personal connection? The accessibility of the issue might also be relevant, or perhaps people perceive the issue as easily understandable and thus resolvable (head = pavement = death, obviously mandate helmets, vs statistics show more deaths from helmets, never wear one). And, that accessibility makes it easy for people just joining the argument to rehash previously said material.
I don't know any studies but I've seen a few write ups which simply conclude that "people in cars hate people on bikes for being in their space," and "people on bikes feel threatened by angry and aggressive car drivers who could kill them at any time just by menacing them with their vehicle at a bad moment."

There is also the common assumption that anyone over 25 and not in spandex on a bicycle is probably poor or cannot drive for some nefarious reasoning, so anyone who isn't dressed out like Lance Armstrong is probably homeless or can't afford to drive and is otherwise an impediment to the normal workings of real 'muricans.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 13, 2016

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

coyo7e posted:

There is also the common assumption that anyone over 25 and not in spandex on a bicycle is probably poor or cannot drive for some nefarious reasoning, so anyone who isn't dressed out like Lance Armstrong is probably homeless or can't afford to drive and is otherwise an impediment to the normal workings of real 'muricans.

Common? Sounds more like an uncommon projection.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FetusSlapper posted:

Common? Sounds more like an uncommon projection.
Yup. I used to think that way and still do about every mustached 40 year old in flannel riding along hwy 99 toward JC...

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

coyo7e posted:

Yup. I used to think that way and still do about every mustached 40 year old in flannel riding along hwy 99 toward JC...

Hmm. Maybe its because I grew up in Midland Michigan(suburb of Dow Chemical), but adults riding bikes were always environmental nerds, nerds doing it for exercise or rich nerds riding their $2k titanium bike around. I don't really see many people biking around in Federal Way, adults or otherwise though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I like riding my bike around Seattle once a month or so in summer, I'm poor and listen to music whe not wearing a helmet, and when I get downtown on my way to pike place I almost always have to get off my bike, because the streets are packed with cars and the sidewalks are packed with walkers. :Emote-crossed arms, whatever it is: turning one north-south street to bikes/peds only and adding a few bike lanes every ~5 E/W streets would be nice. It'd encourage people to be healthier by riding bikes more, less co2 from less driving, etc. But the bike industry doesnt lobby as well as oil/cars :(

• Locked thread