Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
What are the rules this term? If the supreme court privately already decided a case and an opinion is written or almost done but not released yet, can they still release it with Scalia's vote?

Obviously the supreme court can do whatever they want because there's no one else to appeal to, but have they laid out rules for themselves in this situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Xae posted:

The attack lines pretty much write themselves:
"Trump and Cruz are running for President, but they won't even show up in for their current job as Senators. The American people are smart. They aren't going to hand a promotion to people who won't even clock in for their current job."

1) Trump isn't a senator
2) That has been the attempted attack on Rubio by Bush. Was completely flat

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
my mom just called me about this and its the happiest she's sounded in months

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

So what's the count now for liberals on the Supreme Court?

If you count Kennedy as a conservative, its a 4-4 tie.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Holy poo poo I thought someone was pranking me on Facebook. :stare:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

In a 5-4 decision the Heavenly Court has overturned Antonin Scalia's appeal to live. “Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out an eternal damnation sentence properly reached” said God.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Northjayhawk posted:

What are the rules this term? If the supreme court privately already decided a case and an opinion is written or almost done but not released yet, can they still release it with Scalia's vote?

Obviously the supreme court can do whatever they want because there's no one else to appeal to, but have they laid out rules for themselves in this situation?

fwiw when I asked that a while back Joementum did some research and yeah, if the opinion is written it still goes live. If it hadn't been written, it goes out at an 8 member court. They do not re-hear anything with the new justice

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Fun fact: the precedent in the Senate for not confirming new judges in a Presidential election year is called the Thurmond Rule.

Yes, that Thurmond.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

1) Trump isn't a senator
2) That has been the attempted attack on Rubio by Bush. Was completely flat

Pretty much every attack by Bush has been flat... or flaccid.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

What if..... what if a republican is the next president though. We'd be completely hosed forever

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Oh what a day, what a lovely day.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

borkencode posted:

Cliven Bundy's freedom was the final horcrux.

loving beautiful.

Literally fist pumped when I read about him dying, and I swear to god if we don't elect Sanders or Hillary the american left deserves everything bad ever now.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Bullfrog posted:

What if..... what if a republican is the next president though. We'd be completely hosed forever

If they find someone worse than Scalia... I'll be impressed.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
USPOL Feb: Scalia's Final Horcrux was Tent Man all along

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

fwiw when I asked that a while back Joementum did some research and yeah, if the opinion is written it still goes live. If it hadn't been written, it goes out at an 8 member court. They do not re-hear anything with the new justice

And we have to take their word for it that it was already written. Thats fine, since I assume the liberals would call bullshit if thats not the case.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
The Breitbart article is up. Time to take a scrooge mcduck dive into a sea of conservative tears

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
lol if you think the Senate is going to approve an Obama SC nom this year

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bullfrog posted:

So no different than yesterday.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Just broke on FoxNews.com

Twitter for Fox has it too:
https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/698629952716042240

BBC:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35571868

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Cliven Bundy is in jail and Antonin Scalia is dead. Oh, what a fine, fine day.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

Fun fact: the precedent in the Senate for not confirming new judges in a Presidential election year is called the Thurmond Rule.

Yes, that Thurmond.

I see no reason why this won't be extended to cover the last 12 months, given this Senate.

If you thought electing Hillary for SCOTUS was important before, you ain't seen nothing yet, because this election will clearly determine the course of SCOTUS for a generation.

Too bad Republicans are starting to slowly gain an advantage.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

lol if you think the Senate is going to approve an Obama SC nom this year

yep

https://twitter.com/calmesnyt/status/698628955067256834

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's the freep thread, for people who enjoy that sort of thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The best day, I don't even care.

But you better believe nothing is happening this year. They will shut down the Senate completely before they let Obama get anyone through.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Dexo posted:

The loss of any life is not something to be celebrated
no.

there are lovely, ignorant, hateful people and the world is a better place when they die. i'm gonna have a certain extra skip in my step today because antonin scalia is dead.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Joementum posted:

If they find someone worse than Scalia... I'll be impressed.

Don't jinx it.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Worst case scenario: No confirmation until next president, GOP wins presidency and RBG dies sometime 2016-2018.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
So I can only imagine Obama will do everything in his power to get a new Justice through before he leaves office. But my question is, is there anything he or the Dems in Congress can do to fight the opposition of the Republicans?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr Jaunts posted:

So I can only imagine Obama will do everything in his power to get a new Justice through before he leaves office. But my question is, is there anything he, or the Dems in Congress can do to fight the opposition of the Republicans?

Nope, there's even precedent for not confirming nominations during an election year.

What this does do is give Democrats another reason to get out and vote (or rather, it gives their existing reason an actual physical manifestation).

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
burn in hell you inhuman monster

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Mr Jaunts posted:

So I can only imagine Obama will do everything in his power to get a new Justice through before he leaves office. But my question is, is there anything he or the Dems in Congress can do to fight the opposition of the Republicans?

Well Dems tend to not to be willing to destroy teh government and economy to make a point, so probably not

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
I don't think it would be too outlandish to say that this coming election might end up being the most pivotal election of most of our lifetimes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This probably means Ginsberg is going to retire though and it wouldn't Surprise me.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFX8S9aAgvw

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hollismason posted:

This probably means Ginsberg is going to retire though and it wouldn't Surprise me.

She will, but she probably won't announce it until after the election.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Hollismason posted:

She should have after 2012.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I was under the impression that Scalia was aged 60-69 not 79, dude hid his age well compared to the other supreme justices.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes, he can burn in Hell with Reagan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
This is the happiest I've been in 2016.

gently caress you Scalia. May worms eat your corpse.

• Locked thread