Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

zen death radium more like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I had some crashes today. Turns out Awful was in the background already. Closed all my apps and now it runs fine.

Reindeer Flotilla
Mar 14, 2006

I RAN "COMEDY" THROUGH GOOGLE AND THIS IS ALL I GOT! ZULUZULUZULU!

Seeing weird behavior. Was browsing a thread, then just swapped apps. When I came back to the Awful app, it appeared to crash, but the app was still running in the background on the thread I was browsing. When I tried to force close the app and reopen it, it displayed the main forum list page for a moment, then appeared to crash again - but when I look at running apps, I see the Awful app running, but still showing the thread I was in before. I've tried rebooting the phone and I'm still seeing the same behavior.

It's acting like it's stuck in the thread I visited for some reason, even though I reload the app and am able (briefly) to go to another subforum before it appears to crash.

Edit: Holding down the app button and going in via Bookmarks seems to have fixed the issue - it's loading threads fine now. Weird.

Reindeer Flotilla fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 13, 2016

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

crashing every time here. still crashes if i go to the app switcher and close the process, still crashes on a fresh boot of the phone. deleted and re-downloaded and still crashes. I think it was working like, 10 hours ago when I was at work?

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
Insta crash also happening here, very reproducible after reboots, etc and almost entirely when going back to view the main forum list.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Same here. Instacrash on startup.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Soopafly posted:

Insta crash also happening here, very reproducible after reboots, etc and almost entirely when going back to view the main forum list.

Quoting because I'm getting this same behavior.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

And as suddenly as it started, it stopped. Working again.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Same here, all of a sudden it's working again :tinfoil:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm still crashing.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ditto

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Still not happening to me. Weird. pyf crash logs i guess

e: does anyone who's seeing this crash have No Ads?

carry on then fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 13, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I have No Ads but I haven't seen any crashing.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Also crashing on startup, even after reboot and closing everything in the background.

vvvv yep, works now

Schiavona fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 13, 2016

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

And now it seems to be fixed. Strange.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
iPad Air 1, 9.2.1 - was also getting instant crash on start-up, even after killing the app and rebooting. But also for me, now working again.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

Soopafly posted:

Aaaaand we're back, for seemingly no reason at all. Just for informations sake, I logged out of the app hoping that would help and then insta crash started happening every time I correctly entered my info. Incorrect logins didn't crash, but well, didn't log me in.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

echoing that it works now

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

See, I'm starting to wonder if it's an ad on the page, not the dropdown. Since I have No Ads and no issues. Someone prove me wrong.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

no ads no issues here

9.3 public beta 2 & 3 on a 5s.
testflight version 31002

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I don't have no ads, and I was having issues.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I don't have no ads and it crashes whenever I hit the forum list. I open direct to bookmarks.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Ok the crashes are back as soon as I refresh the main forums list.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Can anyone tell me what not to do to start getting crashes because I'm still crash free so far and I'm getting scared I might accidentally hit the activate crash mode button

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Post a Banme thread and delete the app. It's the only way to be sure.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

Can anyone tell me what not to do to start getting crashes because I'm still crash free so far and I'm getting scared I might accidentally hit the activate crash mode button

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone really knows. Nobody who actually works on the app has been able to reproduce the crash yet as far as I know.

What we do know so far is that it has something to do with the forums list, so if you never go to that list, you shouldn't get the crash. It also seems to come and go unpredictably, and doesn't affect everyone.

This is still my theory:

Diabolik900 posted:

There's been a sporadically reported forums bug where the dropdown that lets you jump to any forum only shows the top level categories (Main, Discussion, etc.) I suspect that this is the cause of the crash some people have seen. Awful uses that dropdown to populate it's forums list.

Question for those who have gotten the crash: do you have "experimental features" or either of the two mobile layout options turned on in your forums settings?

Also, if anyone get the crash again, can you look at the forums in Safari and see if that jump to forum dropdown actually shows the list of forums or not?

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 13, 2016

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

Diabolik900 posted:

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone really knows. Nobody who actually works on the app has been able to reproduce the crash yet as far as I know.

What we do know so far is that it has something to do with the forums list, so if you never go to that list, you shouldn't get the crash. It also seems to come and go unpredictably, and doesn't affect everyone.

This is still my theory:

Question for those who have gotten the crash: do you have "experimental features" or either of the two mobile layout options turned on in your forums settings?

Also, if anyone get the crash again, can you look at the forums in Safari and see if that jump to forum dropdown actually shows the list of forums or not?

I've been getting this crash on my iPad but not on my iPhone. The iPad is on the latest Apple-released patch, and the iPhone is waiting to be patched still. While I was reading the Technical Thread in QCS, I noticed this:

Mr.Radar posted:

The "Jump to another forum" drop-down at the bottom of the page is only showing the top-level forum categories (Main/Discussion/Finer Arts/etc...) which doesn't seem right.

Would that be a cause of the issue?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ellspurs posted:

Would that be a cause of the issue?

That's my guess, as noted in the post you quoted :)

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
It's crashing on my iPhone 5, but not my iPad 1 (which apple stopped releasing updates for years ago).

It only crashed when I went to the front forum list page. It didn't crash when I was in a subforum looking at a list of threads, or when I was reading threads, or on the bookmarks page. Quitting the app didn't help.

I logged out, and now it's also crashing when I try to log back in. However it doesn't crash when fail to log in by typing the password wrong.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

Diabolik900 posted:

That's my guess, as noted in the post you quoted :)

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the issue that happens when the mod forums appeared in the list.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Anyone who's worked on Awful for a while remember what exactly causes the crash when the drop down isn't correct? Is it an IndexOutOfBounds type error?

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010
Here's a crash log if it helps. http://pastebin.com/zWCysipV
On the plus side, I now know where to find crash logs and how to make sure they're actually sent out.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I srarted getting this yesterday afternoon on my iPhone 6 and then it was fine. Started happening again this afternoon. I have it set to show bookmarks on startup which would work fine but going to the forums list crashed the app.

Force quit the app and now it doesn't load bookmarks, just briefly shows the main forums list and crashes.

Edit:

Posted the above from Safari and now the app is working fine :psyduck:

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 13, 2016

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
3d touching into bookmarks skips the crashes

6s+ get on my level~

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

3d touching into bookmarks skips the crashes

6s+ get on my level~

This, basically, is the only way I can not have it crash. Even opening to the forum list and trying to quickly hit bookmarks or settings doesn't stop it from crashing.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Crashing again.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Just giving my two cents. I've never had the app crash. 6s+ iOS 9.3 b3 using the latest store build.

Hopefully I didn't jinx myself now.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Maybe there's something in the beta that's preventing the crash? Because I'm on the beta too and it's never crashed for me.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Nope. I'm on the 9.3 beta and it's crashing all up in my business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

And it stopped crashing again.

• Locked thread