Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Thin Privilege posted:

e: gently caress it, photoshop is fun. share this

Happy New Year, Jehovah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

public group so gently caress these people, lol

things that cause people to be gay:
korean pop
masturbation
heterosexual polygamy
scientific research
The West

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012

Gio Metric is a friend of mine who liked this, which is how it ended up on my feed. Moe Thegrass and Sal Vidge are in a relationship and have the same profile picture.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Wow, yeah, that's 'action required' material. Send it to the press if they do nothing. Send it to the press anyway.

I included a subtle threat of sorts at the end of "I hope you'll ensure no further escalation or publication is needed." If nothing satisfactory gets done, I can easily gather more screenshots and fling poo poo everywhere.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

[quote="The Saddest Rhino" post=""456228"]
korean pop
masturbation
heterosexual polygamy
scientific research
The West
[/quote]

Uh oh i'm listening to KPOP right now. And I'm in THE WEST.

This is not good.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I included a subtle threat of sorts at the end of "I hope you'll ensure no further escalation or publication is needed." If nothing satisfactory gets done, I can easily gather more screenshots and fling poo poo everywhere.

Internet vigilantism is the epitome of idiocy on social media.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dogfish posted:

Internet vigilantism is the epitome of idiocy on social media.

"Don't touch the poop" is a rule for a reason.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand, people should be considered accountable for the stuff they publish online, especially public stuff, and those who work in education should be held at a decent standard.
On the other hand, to snitch on them like a crossed kid on the playground like this, especially the veiled threat, feels wrong on some level.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Kiebland posted:

Gio Metric is a friend of mine who liked this, which is how it ended up on my feed. Moe Thegrass and Sal Vidge are in a relationship and have the same profile picture.

I've had couple friends on Facebook who share S&M memes at each other also. I wonder if posting bondage memes on social media is a fetish unto itself.

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

I don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand, people should be considered accountable for the stuff they publish online, especially public stuff, and those who work in education should be held at a decent standard.
On the other hand, to snitch on them like a crossed kid on the playground like this, especially the veiled threat, feels wrong on some level.

I would argue that it depends on the job. I think a factory worker or an office jockey should be free to share racist memes all they want, but if your occupation involves being part of the public face of the company or organization-- like a professor, or that woman who worked in PR who got fired for tweeting that racist AIDS joke-- you should definitely be held accountable.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Kiebland posted:

I would argue that it depends on the job. I think a factory worker or an office jockey should be free to share racist memes all they want, but if your occupation involves being part of the public face of the company or organization-- like a professor, or that woman who worked in PR who got fired for tweeting that racist AIDS joke-- you should definitely be held accountable.

You should absolutely be held accountable for everything you say publicly, no matter who you are. In most cases, the appropriate way to hold someone accountable is to tell them their ideas are stupid and morally abhorrent and they probably should stop embarrassing themselves, and in most cases, their employer shouldn't be involved in that process.

If you are saying racist or otherwise horrible things AT WORK, you should be fired. (If you work in PR, your twitter is always work and that lady deserved to be fired - for her terrible career decisions, not for being a stupid racist.) There is a grey area for professionals because part of our job is maintaining the respect and trust of our clients/patients/etc and upholding the trustworthy image of the profession, and that's a subject of great debate among professionals because social media makes that line very hard to draw. Who gets designated a professional and whether the demographics of the people to whom they are in a relationship of trust (sick vs healthy people, adults vs children, etc) matters is another interesting question.

But in all cases we have the separate and distasteful issue of people who try to get people fired not from a thoughtful, public-minded perspective, but because they feel that people who have wrong beliefs should be punished for them. So it's very tricky.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Frighteningly authentic.

Maybe GOD was actually speaking to me thru SA-influenced dreams :aaaaa:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yeah, what if a teacher who's expressed those views has a muslim student in his class? And grades them unfairly because of it? Or a student who expresses liberal views during the class discussions?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

No matter how moral you feel ratting someone out for Facebook posts is, touching the poop will get this thread gassed.

Please stop.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

change my name posted:

Yeah, what if a teacher who's expressed those views has a muslim student in his class? And grades them unfairly because of it? Or a student who expresses liberal views during the class discussions?

Then they're doing their job wrong and also guilty of illegal discrimination, which every university has an HR policy on and a protocol for addressing because people shouldn't be, and aren't, allowed to be racist at work.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Dogfish posted:

If you are saying racist or otherwise horrible things AT WORK, you should be fired. (If you work in PR, your twitter is always work and that lady deserved to be fired - for her terrible career decisions, not for being a stupid racist.)

I just finished listening to Jon Ronson's So You've Been Publicly Shamed and feel compelled to speak up for that woman. She's not a stupid racist, she made a dumb joke that didn't come across clearly in text (poking fun at white people for being ignorant about AIDs, the kind of jokes we make here all the time) and her life was destroyed for it. And even if you disagree with what she says her intentions were, her life was still completely wrecked over a dumb, victimless joke.

I recommend the hell out of that book, by the way. Pretty sure I'm going to read everything he's written.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

artsy fartsy posted:

She's not a stupid racist, she made a dumb joke that didn't come across clearly in text (poking fun at white people for being ignorant about AIDs, the kind of jokes we make here all the time)

In all honesty, that's how I read the joke when it first happened. It was one of those things that I considered could be seen in a racist light (even if it seemed a bit far fetched), but on the surface of it seemed to be either, like you said, poking fun at the White people or pointing out the differences in treatment and life quality you will get depending on your race. I'm kind of glad that what I thought was my naivety actually turns out to be right. Sucks for her that she got so horribly screwed by it and couldn't even defend herself due to being out of service.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

artsy fartsy posted:

I just finished listening to Jon Ronson's So You've Been Publicly Shamed and feel compelled to speak up for that woman. She's not a stupid racist, she made a dumb joke that didn't come across clearly in text (poking fun at white people for being ignorant about AIDs, the kind of jokes we make here all the time) and her life was destroyed for it. And even if you disagree with what she says her intentions were, her life was still completely wrecked over a dumb, victimless joke.

I recommend the hell out of that book, by the way. Pretty sure I'm going to read everything he's written.

Her joke was flippant and foolish and didn't get its intended message across. The line between 'ironic racism' and racism is so thin that it's incredibly difficult to make a funny joke that lampoons racist attitudes without accidentally saying something actually racist. And if your whole job is crafting media messages, if you make a misstep that large and that public you should expect there to be career consequences. Whether or not she is a stupid racist, she was a bad publicist that day on a very large scale.

She did not deserve to have her personal information disseminated and she certainly didn't deserve rape threats, which I said at the time and continue to maintain (which is in fact part of the point I'm making here - professional consequences are sometimes reasonable but retribution for 'bad thoughts' never is).

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

artsy fartsy posted:

People always say this, but it really doesn't matter what your intentions are if you're a PR person and putting that stuff out there with your name attached to it. It's literally your job to be the face of your company, even in your personal life. It's the same with people who are the faces of whatever service they provide: doctors, massage therapists, lawyers, etc. If you make yourself look like employment poison on social media all by yourself you've really got no one else to blame. She got randomly picked up by the internet at large but that's the risk you play with that kind of stuff, like that dentist who got death threats and had his business closed for a while because he shot that lion. Don't gently caress around on social media.

Are people on the internet absolutely terrible and merciless when this stuff happens? Yeah. But it's not going to go away. Cases like these at the very least serve as huge reminders to watch your rear end professionally.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

She deserved a write-up, maybe, or a demotion. Something like that. She wasn't fired for what she said, she was fired because the public lost its goddamn mind.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

artsy fartsy posted:

She deserved a write-up, maybe, or a demotion. Something like that. She wasn't fired for what she said, she was fired because the public lost its goddamn mind.

Why would you keep someone like that on as your PR rep? I certainty wouldn't, mob or no mob

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Aesop Poprock posted:

Why would you keep someone like that on as your PR rep? I certainty wouldn't, mob or no mob

I like to think I'd weigh it against everything else she's done for my company. I've never been in that situation so I can't say for sure, only that I'll never look at public internet shamings the same way again.

Not trying to start an argument here or anything, agree to disagree etc.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

RFC2324 posted:

No matter how moral you feel ratting someone out for Facebook posts is, touching the poop will get this thread gassed.

Please stop.

Man do people ever not remember what this means.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Do they never stop to think that if there was a conspiracy to create a disease in order to sell the vaccine to it, the company would probably let the disease ravage the population for months or years so as to make sure that the demand for it was huge? I mean, if I had engineered a virus and planned to sell the vaccine for it that's what I'd do. Immunize myself and those I give a poo poo about, then just sit on it and throw some fake funding around to make a paper trail that makes it seem like you've been developing the vaccine since the disease became apparent, then down the line release the vaccine you've already had for months.

Basically I think the conspiracy theory can be disproven because what the conspiracy nuts are accusing simply isn't evil enough.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The GMO mosquitoes they're referring of have been bred to be sterile. To specifically combat the spread of the virus.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

change my name posted:

The GMO mosquitoes they're referring of have been bred to be sterile. To specifically combat the spread of the virus.

Don't let your 'facts' get in the way of their rampant paranoia.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

change my name posted:

I think they're trying to say the GM mosquitoes ended up, or were intended to, make things worse. Which doesn't make sense as a conspiracy, because why would you even mention that you were releasing them?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How has our educational system gone so wrong?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EvilGenius posted:

I think they're trying to say the GM mosquitoes ended up, or were intended to, make things worse. Which doesn't make sense as a conspiracy, because why would you even mention that you were releasing them?

These people view GM and Monsanto and similar companies as literal supervillain groups so it fits the mentality

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Shakespeare couldn't have written such tragedy.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

The Saddest Rhino posted:

korean pop
masturbation
heterosexual polygamy
scientific research
The West

The lesson here is that everything fun makes you gay.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

artsy fartsy posted:

I like to think I'd weigh it against everything else she's done for my company. I've never been in that situation so I can't say for sure, only that I'll never look at public internet shamings the same way again.

Not trying to start an argument here or anything, agree to disagree etc.

Jon Ronson also made someone reporting inappropriate behaviour at a conference out to be the aggressor, thus causing someone who was following the rules to also be publicly shamed. Furthermore, this person is also a black Jewish woman, so the vitriol she faced was exponentially greater and fiercer than anything that the original white, male person who doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut got.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Thin Privilege posted:

e: gently caress it, photoshop is fun. share this

She stopped stopped doing drugs that means she is still doing them. :ohdear:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Uh oh i'm listening to KPOP right now. And I'm in THE WEST.

This is not good.

Your practically a super homo by now.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I started masturbating this morning, and now I'm balls deep in another man. Unsure what to do from here.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I started masturbating this morning, and now I'm balls deep in another man. Unsure what to do from here.

Well you're supposed to give him a reach around.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Tardcore posted:

Well you're supposed to give him a reach around.

Only if you like him

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/MrAWFULsuits/status/698628959517413376
https://twitter.com/DooleyJordan/status/698639074672836609
https://twitter.com/00_anabel/status/698640159961698304
https://twitter.com/ttocsnesor/status/698636262777974784
https://twitter.com/97Salisbury/status/698634130720976897
https://twitter.com/aintroketscienc/status/698633499104903168
https://twitter.com/ProNaif/status/698631168275513344
https://twitter.com/RealTrillBill/status/698629397285314561

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

So what is the answer.

Is it -17, a lot of those guys think it is and they're throwing math words around like smart dudes.

(I am just laughing at the guy who goes 3-18+2=-17, jesus christ dude negative numbers are not difficult)