Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Obama should nominate Trump's sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

So are 4-4 decisions just never resolved?

the ruling of the lower court holds as nonbinding precedent as i understand it

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tommah posted:

the ruling of the lower court holds as nonbinding precedent as i understand it

I guess the biggest danger would be when various lower courts are issuing conflicting rulings on a contentious issue.

Edit: AP says US Marshall's confirms his death.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Time taken from nomination by president to confirmation:
Kagan: 3 months
Sotomayor: 2 months
Alito: 2 Months
Roberts: 2 months (well, two attempts at one month each)
Breyer: 2 months
Ginsburg: 2 months
Thomas: 3 months

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nominations_to_the_Supreme_Court_of_the_United_States
From some guy on the internet

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

When was the last time a justice was nominated in an election year?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

Until RBG dies and President Trump nominates Ted Cruz.

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/698634625246195712

It has already begun.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I have a rule to never speak ill of the dead, this is the hardest it's ever been to hold myself to that.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
"In a 4-4 decision, :shrug:"

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

SeANMcBAY posted:

He died peacefully in his sleep after a nice day of quail hunting.

That takes the edge off it a little. Still, it's not all about the journey.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

alnilam posted:

1940, at the end of FDR's third term. Frank Murphy was nominated on January 4, 1940 and confirmed January 16, 1940.
Before that, Benjamin N. Cardozo was nominated and confirmed in 1932. Also by FDR.
Before that, John Hessin Clarke was nominated and confirmed in July of 1916 at the end of Woodrow Wilson's 2nd term.

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 13, 2016

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Ashrik posted:

Time taken from nomination by president to confirmation:
Kagan: 3 months
Sotomayor: 2 months
Alito: 2 Months
Roberts: 2 months (well, two attempts at one month each)
Breyer: 2 months
Ginsburg: 2 months
Thomas: 3 months

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nominations_to_the_Supreme_Court_of_the_United_States
From some guy on the internet

Apparently 125 days is the longest ever. Obama has 342 days left.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Apparently 125 days is the longest ever. Obama has 342 days left.

C'mon, Cruz. gently caress something up and let the vote through. :getin:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Wow, 40 posts suddenly? I didn't think there was any big case being handled right now so wh...

:stare:
No loving way. It's the headline on Drudge and everywhere else and I still can't believe it's true. Of all the justices the one constantly joked about as a nigh-immortal lich is dead and the SCOTUS has just swung from a conservative majority to a tie at worst, with the potential for Obama to nominate someone else like Kagan or Sotomayor?

Congress is going to be a mad house. How likely is it we see the GOP outright refuse to let an Obama replacement be voted on? They could stall for a year, couldn't they? I can't imagine the GOP wants to even consider letting Obama appoint yet another justice to the SCOTUS unless it's a right wing demilich demagogue and I think Obama's firmly in the "gently caress you guys" territory and hopefully won't nominate some right wing shithead like the neo-confederate guy in Georgia.

If/when the GOP stonewalls OBama on a replacement it's going to make the stakes of this election even more significant as two branches of government will be decided. Maybe 2.5 if the Dems can manage a GOTV big enough to grab/split the senate. If a Democrat gets elected as POTUS and the Dems manage 50+ senators I wonder if Paul Ryan will refuse to run for the Speaker position next year.

It sucks he died but I'd be lying if I claimed I wasn't happy that the SCOTUS is down a conservative.

Kalman posted:

Probably, yes. They just have to play a delaying game by saying "SCOTUS nominations are important, we can't rush into these things!"

(Obama could always do a recess appointment if they try to explicitly say the next president should get to nominate.)

:lol::lol::lol: if you think the GOP is going to let Congress go in to recess while Obama's still in office after he tried that stuff already. Any planned recess between now and the end of the year is about to be cancelled.

SeANMcBAY posted:

He died peacefully in his sleep after a nice day of quail hunting.

I have to imagine that dying in your sleep is one of the more pleasant/less painful ways to go. :unsmith:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

alnilam posted:

Kennedy was nominated with about a month left in 1987 if that counts

The senate voted 97-0

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I would pay good money for a live stream of members of the GOP establishment right now. How deep into a bottle of bourbon is Mitch McConnell?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ashrik posted:

1940, at the end of FDR's third term. Frank Murphy was nominated on January 4, 1940 and confirmed January 16, 1940.
Before that, Benjamin N. Cardozo was nominated and confirmed in 1932. Also by FDR.
Before that, John Hessin Clarke was nominated and confirmed in July of 1916 at the end of Woodrow Wilson's 2nd term.

Brennan was an election year October recess appointment.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/MrAWFULsuits/status/698628959517413376
https://twitter.com/DooleyJordan/status/698639074672836609
https://twitter.com/00_anabel/status/698640159961698304
https://twitter.com/ttocsnesor/status/698636262777974784
https://twitter.com/97Salisbury/status/698634130720976897
https://twitter.com/aintroketscienc/status/698633499104903168
https://twitter.com/ProNaif/status/698631168275513344
https://twitter.com/RealTrillBill/status/698629397285314561

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Oh man, it's a good day for the right-wing conspiracy machine. I can't imagine the boner Alex Jones has right now.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I was about to ask if the "Scalia was clearly murder by Obama/Clinton" insanity had started yet but I figured it was immediate. Glad(?) to see I was right.

e: Tonight's presidential debate is going to be crazy as hell because Scalia's death has to come up during it. There's just no way it won't.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Fansy fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 12, 2020

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

It's completely obvious why he says that, but what could be the "non-political" justification for that? Obama is still the president until next year, the country doesn't stop.

I could maybe see it if this was after the election--then I could see someone making a case for the recently elected president getting to appoint someone to a lifetime position, and not the dude on his way out the door. But it's only February

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

:lol::lol::lol: if you think the GOP is going to let Congress go in to recess while Obama's still in office after he tried that stuff already. Any planned recess between now and the end of the year is about to be cancelled.

Article II Section 3 of the Constitution posted:

He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

:boom:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A fat 79 year old man dying in his sleep? MURDER.:argh:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fansy posted:

Is there any way we'll get a decent replacement with this congress?

Senate is currently in recess, :unsmigghh:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
Whiny baby continuously wants to put the brakes on until he gets his way.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm so relieved by this that I could almost cry.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm so relieved by this that I could almost cry.

Yeah, I'd figured him for another ten or twelve years, at least.

Pretty good day.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

this blows the private email server and Benghazi out of the water now, right guys ... right? :ohdear:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Can't wait to see who President Bloomberg nominates.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Can't wait to see who President Bloomberg nominates.

Judge Whitey from Futurama.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I feel somewhat bad saying I was going to throw a party when he died... However it's weird since it's almost definitely a net good that he isn't making rulings anymore and the way SCOTUS works that means the most probably way that's happening is if he had died.

EDIT: Scratch that we are definitely better off with him dead.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 14, 2016

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

A fat 79 year old man dying in his sleep? MURDER.:argh:

Yeah. And from outside observations, a pretty unhealthy one at that. Clearly murder.

Not gonna lie, if I were going to murder a right-wing justice, I would pick Alito or Roberts based on life expectancy alone. It would be like taking out Ginsburg instead of Kagan. What's the point when nature is about to do the job for you.

Still, kind of amazed Stevens outlived him. And O'Connor. If what I've read is true, she didn't like him very much. But it's a fun little contrast to the old canard that you die as soon as you retire.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

https://twitter.com/meganamram/status/698646092603215872

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lol

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Evil Fluffy posted:

I was about to ask if the "Scalia was clearly murder by Obama/Clinton" insanity had started yet but I figured it was immediate. Glad(?) to see I was right.

e: Tonight's presidential debate is going to be crazy as hell because Scalia's death has to come up during it. There's just no way it won't.

Please, its gonna be a 2 hour blowjob of his best hits

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

The Glumslinger posted:

Please, its gonna be a 2 hour blowjob of his best hits
"Whether it was saying that anti-sodomy laws should be constitutional, or supporting life without parole for juvenile offenders, Scalia was a champion of what the Republican Party stands for"
*GOP baffled as they lose another Presidential election*

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

rip
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/698647117594783744

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

So what he got so excited like a kid on Christmas he got him killed before he could be appointed?

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Beautiful.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I have a rule to never speak ill of the dead, this is the hardest it's ever been to hold myself to that.

I do not have this rule, but I definitely felt bad about myself when I saw the news and yelled "OH MY GOD YES" with relief and gratitude. Though I suppose that I'm less happy that he's dead and more thankful that we can move on from the period in history when Antonin Scalia was a Justice of the Supreme Court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

The American people elected Obama twice. I think they had their say, Mitch.