Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

rabidsquid posted:

I mean it was a fairly important part in that pod deck and was never that expensive, so I seriously doubt this jump is just from seeing increased play.

Again it's probably because it literally Saw Play In The Pro Tour™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
ah thank you, I never saw that deck. It actually looks pretty interesting, but drat the price spikes.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Got to use that spike feeder combo deck in the pt gauntlet last night. Lost horribly most of the time, but that's because I don't think I really knew when to mulligan with it. Though I did play the processor eldrazi deck one round, and I thought I was going to win when I had worship/sigarda set up. But of course that deck plays world breaker out of the board..

I could see archangel of thune seeing a lot of casual/edh play also to help with its high price.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Count Bleck posted:

Again it's probably because it literally Saw Play In The Pro Tour™

Yes, but this isn't new and the card wasn't that expensive the last time it saw play on the pro tour I am pretty sure?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

rabidsquid posted:

Yes, but this isn't new and the card wasn't that expensive the last time it saw play on the pro tour I am pretty sure?

It was at print at the time and the deck wasn't nearly as good I believe.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Count Bleck posted:

Back when the card was in print it hit 30$ median too.

It was a stupidly expensive card for a while.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
The best Archangel combo was Horizon Chimera + Fathom Mage in standard

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Count Bleck posted:

Whaat? Meliraless Pod was probably the strongest version of the deck and most likely significantly better than this Chord deck is, since it also had Chord but ALSO it had Birthing Pod.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Count Bleck posted:

archangel/spike feeder became the better combo in the deck due to GY hate becoming more prevalent. melira/persist got hated out.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

That My Little Pony power is for sale if anyone's looking to get some cheap power.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

That My Little Pony power is for sale if anyone's looking to get some cheap power.

Watch it go for more than typical.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

ShaneB posted:

Watch it go for more than typical.

They're beat to crap and his asking price is already lower than normal.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The hell is my little pony power?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Andrast posted:

The hell is my little pony power?

Look up facebook's high end magic sale group. Dan Bock likes to sell stuff on there and it's typically funny cuz he is always firm on prices and I see him relist stuff over and over again when they get stale.

But specifically, someone drew ponies on wizard poker cards.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

They're beat to crap and his asking price is already lower than normal.

why are you taking the wind out of my hate sails???

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

There's some speculation that the pony part of the pony power is drawn on the sleeves. Anyone know either way? I saw them at a GP, but under glass.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lightning Lord posted:

There's some speculation that the pony part of the pony power is drawn on the sleeves. Anyone know either way? I saw them at a GP, but under glass.

:wtc: I hope they're actually on the cards. What's the point, then?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

I know the guy who used to own them. They're on the card.

You can see them here. There's also a Time Vault and Lotus that aren't shown. Also great: They're actually UNL with colored in borders.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 14, 2016

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

They're on the cards.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Pussy Snorkel posted:

They're on the cards.

Suddenly a stabbing pain through my heart.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

:wtc:

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Can you scratch the paint off with a razor or anything?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Look you guys, as much as we all would prefer some kawaii desu anime art on them instead, at least it's actually on the card. It defeats the purpose if you're just gonna have some lame art on a sleeve.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Molybdenum posted:

Can you scratch the paint off with a razor or anything?

I'm sure there are some techniques used in art restoration that would work, but the price tag would be quite steep, especially since there is no telling what the restored card would sell for.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Presumably the person who commissioned the pony alters was legitimately thinking it would be cool, so I can't endorse his motives, but I'm pretty happy with the way it ended up if I think of it as some sort of dadaist attack on the valuation of nerd cardboard. It's better than something like flipping and ripping them because it preserves their utility as game pieces while still making nerds mad. Some sort of modern art museum should buy them and put them on display.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Anyone else got the game day jori en promo? That things looks sick, such a sweet foil, and a cool card too. Well that's my opinion

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

JerryLee posted:

Presumably the person who commissioned the pony alters was legitimately thinking it would be cool, so I can't endorse his motives, but I'm pretty happy with the way it ended up if I think of it as some sort of dadaist attack on the valuation of nerd cardboard. It's better than something like flipping and ripping them because it preserves their utility as game pieces while still making nerds mad. Some sort of modern art museum should buy them and put them on display.

I never met the guy but the original owner was apparently extremely strange. The guy he sold them to just needed a 2nd set for his girlfriend. I had the uh, pleasure? of playing against them a few times.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Bonus posted:

Anyone else got the game day jori en promo? That things looks sick, such a sweet foil, and a cool card too. Well that's my opinion

Yea I got one for top 8 today. It's ended up in my Jeskai Tiny leaders deck that I never get to play.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Bonus posted:

Yeah I came in 5th. I want to make a UR Prowress deck with them, because I tried a Jeskai version and it was always a step too slow.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I've played a lot of finks against burn but playing the gauntlet I finally had it done to me. I am so so sorry burn players. Even timely wasn't as bad for me. I mean it's no stony silence or blood moon, but still.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Speaking of art on sleeves, do they make sleeves with boarders on the face, to deal with the disparity in reprints from before 2010? Seems like a thing people would want.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

gonadic io posted:

I've played a lot of finks against burn but playing the gauntlet I finally had it done to me. I am so so sorry burn players. Even timely wasn't as bad for me. I mean it's no stony silence or blood moon, but still.

This is how I felt about about stony silence. I've dropped it all smug-like on turn 2 plenty of times, then I tried affinity in the gauntlet and realized how terrible that feels to be the affinity player. I also haven't been giving affinity players enough credit, the sequencing for that deck takes some pretty decent skill and knowledge.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

This is how I felt about about stony silence. I've dropped it all smug-like on turn 2 plenty of times, then I tried affinity in the gauntlet and realized how terrible that feels to be the affinity player. I also haven't been giving affinity players enough credit, the sequencing for that deck takes some pretty decent skill and knowledge.

Affinity is probably the hardest deck to consistently play well in the format.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 14, 2016

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I was given Feeder/Angel deck against Affinity in round 3. I keep a hand with Silence, but the Affinity player on the play goes Memnite/Memnite/Thopter/Thopter/Opal/Signal Pest, go. Dropping a bird turn 1, Silence turn 2 did jack poo poo. Would have killed for a Kataki, War's Wage.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
So I was digging through my ancient collection checking to see if I should sell anything to fuel getting back into the game and I found full playsets of Through the Breach, Goryo's Vengeance, and a bunch of other bullshit but mostly was wondering why the gently caress those are doing at low ~$35. I mean, they were good in block, but not $20 good.

e: Found some lists for modern. Is this deck still good?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TheDemon posted:

So I was digging through my ancient collection checking to see if I should sell anything to fuel getting back into the game and I found full playsets of Through the Breach, Goryo's Vengeance, and a bunch of other bullshit but mostly was wondering why the gently caress those are doing at low ~$35. I mean, they were good in block, but not $20 good.

It's unstable but solid, it can win as early as turn 2.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheDemon posted:

It's an explosive, inconsistent deck. It's never been great, but it's also not bad(unless you think every deck but eldrazi is bad)

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

It's funny how many people give us Affinity players zero credit for our play. They seem to forget that it's super easy to miss a point or 2 of damage early and have it cost them a game.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Backno posted:

It's funny how many people give us Affinity players zero credit for our play. They seem to forget that it's super easy to miss a point or 2 of damage early and have it cost them a game.

Yeah, I mean it's always kinda obvious when someone is bad at the deck but it's easy to forget it's a deck that requires skill to be good with consistently. I myself lost with the deck because I was 1 point short, and upon reflection I realized I could have gotten that one point if I'd done one thing different the turn before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

gonadic io posted:

Yeah it's rull bad and I'm not sure why it took so long for everyone to realize it's amazing. It's like a 3x in infect sideboards now sometimes.

• Locked thread