Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
Obama will nominate someone, cnn says. Suggesting that Srinivasin dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

What landmark cases wouldn't have happened if everyone on the Court shared Scalia's originalism and textualism.

Look for any case that GOPers cry over. That's your list.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

https://twitter.com/kagrox/status/698662862059806720

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

All of the bad ones.

thefncrow posted:

Look for any case that GOPers cry over. That's your list.
Yes, obviously, but I'd like to point to ones specifically for when this issue comes up in discussion.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Yeah, there's no way Obama wouldn't nominate someone. What with that crazy tendency to do his job and all.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

KernelSlanders posted:

Welp, guess I shouldn't really be surprised by anything the GOP does at this point. This should be entertaining.

Looking forward to the Whitehouse rebuttal: The American people did elect someone, and he serves for 4 years, not 3.
- but with more :supaburn:

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Kalman posted:

The other one I could see (and would prefer, honestly) is Jane Kelly, who was a career public defender prior to becoming a judge. Having a PD on the bench would be incredible for criminal procedure cases going forward.

(And who is also an Iowan who Chuck Grassley likes. And was an Obama classmate at law school.)

I'm with Kalman, I hope Obama nominates Jane Kelly. Seems like she would have a much better chance politically.

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001

Mitt Romney posted:

I'm with Kalman, I hope Obama nominates Jane Kelly. Seems like she would have a much better chance politically.

Judge Srinivasan already went 97-0 in the Senate for a lifetime appointment but I will check out this other person

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

The Republican obstruction will break when John Roberts calls for the confirmation of Obama's pick. Roberts respects the non-political nature of the court too much to allow that poo poo to fly.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Judge Srinivasan already went 97-0 in the Senate for a lifetime appointment but I will check out this other person

Kelly went unanimously to the 8th in the same timeframe as Sri did.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Mitt Romney posted:

You lost, you don't get a say.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Teddybear posted:

Kelly went unanimously to the 8th in the same timeframe as Sri did.

Both while the democrats controlled the senate though.

e: never mind, I can't math apparently.

KernelSlanders fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 14, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Haven't a bunch of Republicans disavowed Roberts because he voted for Obamacare?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Josh Lyman posted:

Yes, obviously, but I'd like to point to ones specifically for when this issue comes up in discussion.

gay marriage

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anything regarding the rights of African Americans? I feel like abortion and gay marriage are things that people can still openly be against.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
This thread title is really creepy now.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I hope they quote 24 at his funeral

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Anything regarding the rights of African Americans? I feel like abortion and gay marriage are things that people can still openly be against.

separate but equal

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
I don't think the Senate will politically be able to refuse to act on a nominee for a full year. If they want to prevent Obama from replacing Scalia they'll likely have to actually vote on and defeat one or more nominees. Actually defeating his nominees can be spun as the Senate doing it's job and standing as the will of the people against Obama's attempt to transform America. Sitting and doing nothing is blatantly political and likely won't go over well.

I also think the political calculation is interesting for Republicans on whether they should want Obama or the next president nominating a replacement. There are roughly nine competitive Senate seats next election, and 7 of them are Republican. An Obama appointee confirmed by this Senate is probably better (from the GOP perspective) than a Clinton/Sanders appointee confirmed by the next Senate. On the other hand, a Cruz/Rubio/Bush/Kasich nominee confirmed by the next Senate would obviously be better for the GOP even if the Senate flips. The wildcard is Trump, because I don't think Republicans could have any confidence in the ideological consistency of a Trump nominee.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
On one hand, it's wrong to celebrate someone's death, on the other hand, what if that someone advocated that human beings should be tortured because of TV show logic

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

joe football posted:

Would top candidates for the seat actually want to accept a nomination, given that they're almost certain to be voted down or indefinitely delayed? I feel like in the event of the Sandstorm (or Hillary equivelant) delivering a dem senate in the fall, they would not nominate someone who has already been voted down as a (futile) conciliatory act

Darude for president.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Not My Leg posted:

I don't think the Senate will politically be able to refuse to act on a nominee for a full year. If they want to prevent Obama from replacing Scalia they'll likely have to actually vote on and defeat one or more nominees. Actually defeating his nominees can be spun as the Senate doing it's job and standing as the will of the people against Obama's attempt to transform America. Sitting and doing nothing is blatantly political and likely won't go over well.

I also think the political calculation is interesting for Republicans on whether they should want Obama or the next president nominating a replacement. There are roughly nine competitive Senate seats next election, and 7 of them are Republican. An Obama appointee confirmed by this Senate is probably better (from the GOP perspective) than a Clinton/Sanders appointee confirmed by the next Senate. On the other hand, a Cruz/Rubio/Bush/Kasich nominee confirmed by the next Senate would obviously be better for the GOP even if the Senate flips. The wildcard is Trump, because I don't think Republicans could have any confidence in the ideological consistency of a Trump nominee.

Yup, it's going to be a giant game of poker. Both sides will have to decide if they want to gamble on the election or make some sort of a deal this term. And if they do make a deal, how far are they willing to go before betting on the election starts looking better. It's going to be loving fascinating, honestly.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

my favorite scalia interview was some thing where they asked him if torture is good even if it doesnt work and he said that it's fine because it makes us feel good about america

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

This thread title is really creepy now.

I kinda like it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

On one hand, it's wrong to celebrate someone's death, on the other hand, what if that someone advocated that human beings should be tortured because of TV show logic
As Mark Twain said, "I never wished for anyone's death, but there are obituaries I have read with pleasure."

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Yup, it's going to be a giant game of poker. Both sides will have to decide if they want to gamble on the election or make some sort of a deal this term. And if they do make a deal, how far are they willing to go before betting on the election starts looking better. It's going to be loving fascinating, honestly.

If I was in their shoes, I would try to press for the most moderate nominee and then stall until the election. If Dems win the election, quickly approve the Obama nom. Hopefully Obama does not try to meet them halfway on a nominee.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
gently caress Antonin Scalia. What a dick.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Josh Lyman posted:

I said it as the last post of the previous page, but Scalia was pretty hostile to the exclusionary rule and has suggested that in a country with 42 USC 1983 it may no longer be necessary.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Obama should nominate Goodwin Liu.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Clarence Thomas is trending on twitter now. Did someone put him on death watch?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

obama should nominate hillary

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm curious, what happens with Scalia's clerks? Do they just mill around awkwardly until the year is over, are they reassigned, or what?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Nessus posted:

As Mark Twain said, "I never wished for anyone's death, but there are obituaries I have read with pleasure."

That wasn't Twain, it was Clarence Darrow. Scalia's last decision being a denial of stay of execution is my favorite part of this.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I'm curious, what happens with Scalia's clerks? Do they just mill around awkwardly until the year is over, are they reassigned, or what?

They go on to make a shitload of money as former SCOTUS clerks, I'm guessing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does this mean that labor unions might not be destroyed now?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Just saw the wonderful news, great timing for Obama

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Sealed in the tomb to guide him on his journey to the original constitution, just like his retainer Thomas.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Koirhor posted:

Just saw the wonderful news, great timing for Obama
I've got bad news, friend.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

Does this mean that labor unions might not be destroyed now?

yeah because a tie would defer to the lower court which sided with the unions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

corn in the bible posted:

obama should nominate hillary

:lol: