Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Kaesong seems really random. Is there some news story that I somehow missed where this is a theme or controversy in any way?

I heard about it before I saw the contract, and it's an important story, because it represents escalating tensions between North and South....the problem is that it is only using that word. So a more broad question about tensions doesn't expire it as "yes." Just like "coin flips" and "Steinem", two questions relating to both controversies were asked but the specific words were not mentioned. It's just a really dumb and arbitrary thing to predict, and I think it undermines the purpose of the site.

(I'll probably still bet on these markets lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Kaesong seems really random. Is there some news story that I somehow missed where this is a theme or controversy in any way?
I had to look it up --- basically South and North Korea share assets in some bordertown industrial workshop named Kaesong and the South cut power to the place in reaction to the ballistic missile test the North conducted on Feb 6th.

efb

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
the more markets the better, I say

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Will Rubio repeat himself during the debate? .99 YES

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

How is current gain/loss calculated, is it based on what I would get if I liquidated every share for the current ask price or is it based on the average value of each share?

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Flavahbeast posted:

How is current gain/loss calculated, is it based on what I would get if I liquidated every share for the current ask price or is it based on the average value of each share?

It's not even liquidation, it's based on the most recent trade price, buying or selling. Basically, just ignore it.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Flavahbeast posted:

If you sold all of your shares for the price they most recently traded at compared to what you purchased them for you'd end up with is your gain/loss. This assumes that there are enough outstanding buy orders to accept your liquidation which may not be the case.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
I really hope they release the Ben Carson Dropout shares before the 17th. It hardly seems fair to adhere to that date considering that was only chosen due to the 5 day suspension rule, and he didn't suspend.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Hold onto .83 cent Trump in SC shares or dump them and wait for post-debate events to see if I can snag it a few cents lower?

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Fuschia tude posted:

What would be a bad way to get the backing of the establishment? :confused:

Have you been living under a rock this cycle?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

UnoriginalMind posted:

I really hope they release the Ben Carson Dropout shares before the 17th. It hardly seems fair to adhere to that date considering that was only chosen due to the 5 day suspension rule, and he didn't suspend.

I know. I need that money to play in the debates tonight. Granted I could sell them at 99 cents, but that will just undo my buying at 99 cents yesterday thinking it was a great one day return

a cat
Aug 8, 2003

meow.
For the last few weeks I've been testing a theory of always taking the NO side of the "Will they ask/mention X at the debate" and it's worked out well for that meaningless sample size. My naive reasoning is that you hear things on the news and then see the new market on predictIt it's a pretty natural thought to think "They HAVE to mention that, everyone's talking about it!" which might be true, but causes disproportionate money to flow into the YES side, and in reality it might just not be that good of a good debate question (like the Dem coin flip thing after iowa) , or they might bring up the topic but not mention the specific word (Gloria Steinem at the last dem debate). I think the last one I lost was the Cruz Iowa tactics question, which I still stand by paying 17c for.

This is probably dumb and overly simplistic of a strategy but I'm going to continue to test it!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

jjttjj posted:

For the last few weeks I've been testing a theory of always taking the NO side of the "Will they ask/mention X at the debate" and it's worked out well for that meaningless sample size. My naive reasoning is that you hear things on the news and then see the new market on predictIt it's a pretty natural thought to think "They HAVE to mention that, everyone's talking about it!" which might be true, but causes disproportionate money to flow into the YES side, and in reality it might just not be that good of a good debate question (like the Dem coin flip thing after iowa) , or they might bring up the topic but not mention the specific word (Gloria Steinem at the last dem debate).

I agree. People become fixated on the ways that the subject could be brought up, and they lose perspective on how many possible debates exclude it.

I’ve been meaning to make a spreadsheet of how past debate subject y/n markets resolve to see how this hypothesis fares historically, but finding closed markets is such a pain.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 19:22 on Feb 13, 2016

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I wish I would've done that. I put $40 into pushpoll.no and $25 into samesexmarriage.yes. Easily the dumbest gambles I've made since I started trying to play it safe.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

jjttjj posted:

For the last few weeks I've been testing a theory of always taking the NO side of the "Will they ask/mention X at the debate" and it's worked out well for that meaningless sample size. My naive reasoning is that you hear things on the news and then see the new market on predictIt it's a pretty natural thought to think "They HAVE to mention that, everyone's talking about it!" which might be true, but causes disproportionate money to flow into the YES side, and in reality it might just not be that good of a good debate question (like the Dem coin flip thing after iowa) , or they might bring up the topic but not mention the specific word (Gloria Steinem at the last dem debate). I think the last one I lost was the Cruz Iowa tactics question, which I still stand by paying 17c for.

This is probably dumb and overly simplistic of a strategy but I'm going to continue to test it!

In this case Kaesong just seems so random, with so many other ways North Korea tensions could be mentioned it seems pretty safe to resolve as NO. Safer than 80%.

On the marriage question, the terms "same-sex marriage", "gay marriage", or "traditional marriage" are much more general. Its not like they have to say "Kim Davis" or "States Rights" or something random like that. And it is such a hot button issue for Republicans. This has a good shot of being YES.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m torn on the Kaesong question.

On the one hand, North Korea was discussed at some length in the last debate, so that argues that it’s less likely it’ll be brought up this debate. On the other hand, they used the missile pretext last time, so if North Korea does come up, there’s a decent chance Kaesong is used to open the question this time.

The Senate had a North Korea vote on Wednesday. Rubio and Cruz took time out of their campaigns to participate. Sanders didn’t, and Clinton has already criticised him for it—not that that directly relates to the Republican field, but it suggests that NK may be important enough to bring up again. The moderators could just skip straight to mentioning the vote and skip Kaesong, though.

I think I’ll put in some lowball offers and see what happens.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
https://twitter.com/dhuntabc7/status/698624227562270720
Market already swept up fwiw

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

jjttjj posted:

I was thinking about this also, I'm wondering if there's some data to suggest which bet is better than coin flip odds.

With some markets like this, you can do repetitive gambles, it's just about getting a good price so your wins will cover your losses

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Over/under on whether the Supreme Court confirmation goes through before mid-January 2017 would be a nice market.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Scalia dying provides a nice opening for them to mention same sex marriage.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Will the senate confirm a new justice in 2016? I'll say.....no. Big surprise.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Hmm, 1c lottery ticket for Scalia to come back as a zombie and rule on the court until the end of time,...tempting..

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

making this my background

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009
already closed and paid out

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Cruz YES is spiking in SC/NV/RNOM markets as a result of the Scalia news being front and center (probably for the foreseeable future too).

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

PAY OUT ON CARSON YOU SON OF A BITCh SITE

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
As much as I hate Ted Cruz this SCOTUS issue is his bread and butter and Trump can't hold a candle to him when it comes to this stuff.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Peachstapler posted:

As much as I hate Ted Cruz this SCOTUS issue is his bread and butter and Trump can't hold a candle to him when it comes to this stuff.

Trump could pivot the issue to be about Ted not being able to get anything done while he'd be a great negotiator.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

a cop posted:

Trump could pivot the issue to be about Ted not being able to get anything done while he'd be a great negotiator.
Of the few cards he's holding that's probably the strongest Trump has right now.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

UnoriginalMind posted:

I got tired of waiting. I wasn't wild about letting it sit there for another five days while it could've been making money elsewhere.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Peachstapler posted:

I got tired of waiting. I wasn't wild about letting it sit there for another five days while it could've been making money elsewhere.

Me too. gently caress it. I only lost like a dollar.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Ok, I want the "will a new Supreme Court justice be appointed before Obama leaves" and related markets now

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

New ARG poll is really messing with the 2nd/3rd place markets: http://americanresearchgroup.com/pres2016/primary/rep/screp.html

I picked up about 700 sub-5c Kasich.2nd.YES shares :toot:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

After getting burned for over two weeks last summer, I don't like participating in locked markets. Anything that closes out soon I always have a .99 sell order on.

In other news, my Romney RNOM plan is finally working. I have a huge buy order at .01 and a huge sell order at .02 and they're both spitting me out free cash, maybe ten bucks so far

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aliquid posted:

After getting burned for over two weeks last summer, I don't like participating in locked markets. Anything that closes out soon I always have a .99 sell order on.

In other news, my Romney RNOM plan is finally working. I have a huge buy order at .01 and a huge sell order at .02 and they're both spitting me out free cash, maybe ten bucks so far

I have some of those Romney ones, but I'm holding on to them as a lottery ticket on the off chance armageddon happens.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

drat. No "same sex marriage" during the Scalia stuff. Now I just hope they don't say "push polls" so I come out on top.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
Does Trump always fluctuate like this during debates?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

UnoriginalMind posted:

Does Trump always fluctuate like this during debates?

He allllmost went Truther, I sold my shares at-cost as soon as "9/11" exited his mouth. Got a buy order in at .70 though just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Really glad I didn't bet on this, but the "no" statistical analysis sounds very promising. Are there records available for every such market?

• Locked thread