Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Yeah, I'd fight Gradivus again bu t Telethia? Not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I've discovered that trying to do all the basic quests will burn you out quickly. It's dumb that they don't track which indigens you've killed until you've accepted the mission. That was a dumb step back from Xenoblade Chronicles.

I'm also trying to shake up my party and use different characters to keep their levels/affinity up and it's awesome that they scale exp and still give exp to dead characters. Not awesome that there are a million dumb characters who don't matter to the story and only have personality in their affinity quest.

Edit: what does the shaking hands icon on the maps mean?

Also it owns that you can get pets :3: my cat was sitting on the kitchen counter, licking its butt. Just like in real life!!!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 14, 2016

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I've discovered that trying to do all the basic quests will burn you out quickly. It's dumb that they don't track which indigens you've killed until you've accepted the mission. That was a dumb step back from Xenoblade Chronicles.

I'm also trying to shake up my party and use different characters to keep their levels/affinity up and it's awesome that they scale exp and still give exp to dead characters. Not awesome that there are a million dumb characters who don't matter to the story and only have personality in their affinity quest.

Also it owns that you can get pets :3: my cat was sitting on the kitchen counter, licking its butt. Just like in real life!!!

They dont count those in XBC either

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I finally explored some of Sylvelum last night. Roughly went like this;

Wow this place is really pretty and alien. I just want to run around and look at all this weird stu- GODDAMMIT WHY IS THERE SO MANY loving THINGS HIDING IN THE GROUND :byodood:

Even the rocks started trying to murder me.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Well there wasn't a stupid 20 mission limit and a dumb list that doesn't show every available mission for some inexplicable reason

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

it means an affinity quest ends there

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

vaguely posted:

it means an affinity quest ends there

Except that one in Caulderos that starts a post game affinity mission instead.

And I just realized why I was having so much trouble with Telethia: I had forgotten to move my ranged attack probes over to Noctilum so I was going in less powerful than I should have been. I can probably two shot it not if I want to.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Well there wasn't a stupid 20 mission limit and a dumb list that doesn't show every available mission for some inexplicable reason

No, you just had to run around and search for every single mission by hand and hope you didn't miss one that only shows up at a different time of day.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Ahem.

gently caress DEFINIAN DOWNFALL.

That is all.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ometeotl posted:

No, you just had to run around and search for every single mission by hand and hope you didn't miss one that only shows up at a different time of day.

Why can't we have a happy medium?!?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I finally beat it after taking advantage of a bug where 2 AI party members stayed in their Skells by the entrance and just gave the defense bonus. Try that, or just grind to 60 and try to find scouted BLADEs with maxed out post game builds.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

If you can maintain a decent overdrive chain and keep Ghostwalker up, you should be able to take down Rexoskell. The regular encounters in the Antropolis work the same way as long as you don't get swarmed.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm doing the divine nopon quest, but I can't find the one in cauldros. Anyone know where it is?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Safety Scissors posted:

I'm doing the divine nopon quest, but I can't find the one in cauldros. Anyone know where it is?

In a cave, the bestial utopia IIRC. Remember the Nopon Follow Ball? if you can't find your destination it can help find a way into caves and such.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I got a Skell finally :toot:

Explain Skells to me plz because I am running around as a high-jumping robot and I dunno what the gently caress

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I got a Skell finally :toot:

Explain Skells to me plz because I am running around as a high-jumping robot and I dunno what the gently caress

Skells have 10 weapon slots, and each slot can have up to 3 augments. Stuff enemy exploit augs in as many as possible to make things easier. Back slots are for your major weapons, generally, with the most useful often taking up both slots. Shoulders have good weapons too, the right in particular, and will likely do a fair bit of your damage. Arm slots are buffs and a couple of attack parts, nothing special, but do not give the AI buff parts. The spare weapons have low cooldowns, but aren't amazing damage.

Cockpit mode is when the view zooms in on your dude in the skell. This resets all cooldowns and makes you invincible while the camera is zoomed, but does nothing for your fuel.

Overdrive varies from frame to frame. They all reduce fuel costs to zero during use, and all reduce incoming damage, but beyond that they're different. Google skell overdrive to find out.

The skell you get for free is kinda crap, get a level 30 one asap.

Insurance is good, as long as you have insurance you don't have to pay when your skell is destroyed. A perfect QTE means you don't lose insurance, plus your arts have full secondary cooldowns and you get full TP. The AI will never use up insurance always getting perfect bailouts, so don't worry if their skells blow up.

Skells draw aggro from many things that ignored you on foot, so be careful near anything big.

You can get skell fuel by parking your skell and tooling around on foot, binding a staggered enemy, breaking enemy parts or paying with Miranium in the Barracks.

You can bind a staggered enemy by following the onscreen prompt when near them. Binding gets you fuel for every second they are bound, and causes the enemy to take more damage while being completely helpless. Bind enemies often.

The G-Buster is your friend. Massive Gravity damage+stagger is wonderful, so using one is a good idea.

M-missiles hit all enemy body parts in most cases, even ones you can't target in a skell, so later on you should get some with appendage crusher augs to send limbs flying everywhere.

When you can fly get some position above frame augs. They're easy to make and give you a 50% damage boost for each one you have and are easy to position for.

Skell armor in ground gear is now relevant, as it gives less bonuses in ground combat but gives you decent ones in your skell. There is only one skill that really works in skells, the Astral knight's synchronocity.

Intergalactic (orange) stuff is much better than premium (gold) stuff. Also skell equipment has versions, like 40 50 and 60 versions, which are just the same tier of stuff, but more powerful.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wait am I supposed to have all my characters in Skells? That's a lot of robots.

Also the fuel thing reminds me of Xenogears...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Fuel regenerates when you Bind Enemies, hack limbs off, and even when you aren't playing XCX. It's pretty much a non-issue most of the time.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

As you buy progressively better skells for your main, give the hand me downs to your teammates. A spare lv 30 Amdusias for your team is a good idea too. It's affordable if you keep up with installing probes.

Also, G-busters and M-missiles are good, but Diskbombs are just as useful. If you get one with the magazine upgrade it'll make your autoattack insanely powerful, and it builds GP and breaks appendages really well. I've only seen them in lv 50 varieties though. One of the coolest skell weapons in the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I seriously don't get how the "stealth" in this game is supposed to be fun. Just did a mission that sent me into a camp full of level 40+ enemies while at level 30 so obviously I can't do anything to them. The camp contains turret enemies that can spot me from a ridiculous distance and destroy me with ease. There's no easy way to sneak around them since their sight range is so huge and I can't even tell what direction they are facing, or if that matters.

Meanwhile, the guards in the camp are so stupid I can walk into their model and not aggro them;

So sneaking feels either completely impossible or easy with no middle ground.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

To the list of skell tips, I'd add this: the free skell repair for perfect QTE only works if you have insurance left, even though it doesn't use it up. If it's at zero you'll have to pay regardless, so it's best to buy a new skell when it reaches 1 and give the old one to a party member.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Internet Kraken posted:

I seriously don't get how the "stealth" in this game is supposed to be fun. Just did a mission that sent me into a camp full of level 40+ enemies while at level 30 so obviously I can't do anything to them. The camp contains turret enemies that can spot me from a ridiculous distance and destroy me with ease. There's no easy way to sneak around them since their sight range is so huge and I can't even tell what direction they are facing, or if that matters.

Meanwhile, the guards in the camp are so stupid I can walk into their model and not aggro them;

So sneaking feels either completely impossible or easy with no middle ground.

Approach the camp from the north, you can stealth

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That's the Prone, Sweet Prone mission, right? From the fortress spawn point, you can climb up the wall next to you to reach the higher elevation. Getting to the prisoner is easy, getting the key is hard. You have to jump down from the highest level and land near the guard, close enough that you can shoot him but far enough away that the turret behind you doesn't instantly murder you. You also need to be between the rock next to him and that wall, otherwise those drat Zigs will see you from halfway across the map. As long as you kill the guard, you'll get the key even if you wipe and respawn.

Did that one yesterday. Tough, but doable. I haven't tried the other rescue missions it unlocks but I'm sure they're also frustrating.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
xbc posting:

feels good to crank up shulk/reyn affinity, grab a few rounds of the one large wind crystal deposit on the Bionis' Leg, and have a stack of max strength Agility Up IIIs before you even step foot in Colony 6 like 8 hours into the game :madmax:

e; the same ether deposit that has quick step crystals; i'm glad the game designers knew how to look out for players doing multiple runs

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 15, 2016

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

NTT posted:

xbc posting:

feels good to crank up shulk/reyn affinity, grab a few rounds of the one large wind crystal deposit on the Bionis' Leg, and have a stack of max strength Agility Up IIIs before you even step foot in Colony 6 like 8 hours into the game :madmax:

e; the same ether deposit that has quick step crystals; i'm glad the game designers knew how to look out for players doing multiple runs

Please. You wanna cheese XBC, there's an easy way to get to Lv. 50 before the attack on Colony 9.

You can block while jumping, and blocking pushes you back. Using this, Reyn can damage boost up onto a ledge in Tephra Cave, run like hell, and discover a landmark you're not supposed to get to until the endgame, so it gives you a silly amount of experience.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Hold on buddy I still like to play the game the way the developers intended, I just appreciate that they made the most hidden crystals on the Leg head and shoulders above the others

actually my real love is for how well the gem crafting system is set up. It's an excellent mix of hard work, knowledge of how the system works, and luck as you try to superheat with less-than-ideal party and affinity conditions.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 15, 2016

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Any hot tips for the quest that involves killing the level 40 milsaadi in Jair Fortress in under 3 minutes? Killing it would be easy and the time limit is generous but it appears impossible not to aggro the level 57 zig outside that obliterates me in a couple hits.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Do I want a light, medium or heavy Skell? Are heavies the best?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yes, there is basically no reason not to just go with the heavies.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Sudden Javelin posted:

Any hot tips for the quest that involves killing the level 40 milsaadi in Jair Fortress in under 3 minutes? Killing it would be easy and the time limit is generous but it appears impossible not to aggro the level 57 zig outside that obliterates me in a couple hits.

In the stealth quests you can often use a skell to fly high over the target building, drop on top of it and do your business. A lot of times you don't need the flight pack and can just use the skell's high jump.

I didn't trigger that quest until late in the game, and by then I had a lot of mechanoid slayer XX augments and could fry everything with the phoenix or g-buster.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Stick with the heavies. The scythe on the Amdusias is sick. Once you hit lv 60, some of the lighter skells can be very useful because of high evasion or overdrive properties.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I just finished chapter 3 in-game, all my characters are level 10 and I managed to beat a level 11 tyrant with them. I also played Xenoblade Chronicles. That said, I still have some questions...

1) Am I able to sell clothes that I have equipped as fashion? I like playing dressup but I don't want my inventory cluttered.

2) Speaking of inventory, what am I safe to sell? Pretty much outdated armor and grey materials like in the first?

3) Is it okay to just hit Equip Best when it comes to armor?

4) Are any classes more fun than the others to play as? Trying to mix it up here.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 19 minutes!
Someone tell me what class to be I just got this and hit level 10 drifter. I can't deal with choices

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Someone tell me what class to be I just got this and hit level 10 drifter. I can't deal with choices

Just pick a weapon you like and go into that class. None of the classes are really bad. At worst Mastermind is a little weaker and over-reliant of giant lasers.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

RC Cola posted:

Do you like lightsabers? If yes, pick the bottom most class line.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RC Cola posted:

The top line is your general tanky class and deals out a pretty good rate of damage too. You can also get nigh-unkillable with Defensive Stance for most enemies while your teammates wail on them at the temporary expense of your own damage getting penalized. Or do the opposite with Offensive Stance and go glass cannon on some poor critter :black101:.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Chieves posted:

I just finished chapter 3 in-game, all my characters are level 10 and I managed to beat a level 11 tyrant with them. I also played Xenoblade Chronicles. That said, I still have some questions...

1) Am I able to sell clothes that I have equipped as fashion? I like playing dressup but I don't want my inventory cluttered.

2) Speaking of inventory, what am I safe to sell? Pretty much outdated armor and grey materials like in the first?

3) Is it okay to just hit Equip Best when it comes to armor?

4) Are any classes more fun than the others to play as? Trying to mix it up here.

1) I think you can only sell stuff you don't have equipped.

2) Yeah, pretty much. Keep any armor you want to wear as fashion gear, though. Casual wear usually looks nice and I don't think you can buy it. Keep that stuff around to play dress-up with. You get a bunch of them from quests.

3) Yep. No draw-back to this at all. Then you can chance your fashion gear so you don't look like you got in a fight with a costume trunk and lost.

4) Galactic Knight has the only healing arts worth a drat and uses Lightsabers. Dual Guns classes have some fun skills that are essential for keeping your rear end alive. Longswords are basically katanas, if you're into that, and the best Longsword art is Blossom Dance- Dunban's signature technique. If you reach level 10 in any of the far right classes, you master their weapons and can equip them in any class.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

:lol: when you warp to the church, your Skells are parked in parking spaces in the lot

It's the little touches that make this game special

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here are the weapons I know

Longswords - Can be offensive or defensive. AAs generate a lot of tension. Mostly it's the generic melee weapon but rather effective.
Dual Guns - can be support or damage depending on the skills you choose. Has ghost walk which grants decoy and can make some fights way easier. Probably the most versatile ranged weapon.
Dual Swords - High damage output, but it requires specific positioning, which can be extremely hard to achieve against bigger/flying enemies. Probably worse than longswords.
Raygun - This is an AOE weapon. A number of the arts go in a straight line and hit everything. Very good against multiple enemies since the area covered is very large and the damage isn't reduced in anyway from enemy to enemy.
Knife - Pretty much the only support melee weapon. Offers the best healing, debuff removal, and enemy buff removal.
Photon Saber - Flashy, but the damage output is moderate. Offers some healing.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Also, I did the second Bihano water purification plant quest this morning.

This game can be really hosed up sometimes. Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also, I did the second Bihano water purification plant quest this morning.

This game can be really hosed up sometimes. Seriously.

Those quests were pretty jarring, but looking back on it, body horror is in basically all of Takahashi's games. Xenogears had some pretty hosed up stuff in it that got glossed over thanks to The Chair

• Locked thread