Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYpz3abAk98

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

First it turns out Xander is a criminally violent drunk, and now this. :smith:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Caught Mr. Clinton trying not to smile from ear to ear on CNN.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Abel Wingnut posted:

no. he's a member of the executive branch

Kagan was nominated when she was still a member of the executive branch

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

mastershakeman posted:

On the condition he resigned I don't see a problem
President Biden!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

They can't serve in both branches at once. Until confirmation, they're not a member of the judicial branch.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/LukeBrinker/status/698674978309476352

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Obama like "hell yeah I'll nominate a replacement and I'll get them confirmed too"

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Obama just spoke, didn't say much other than that he intends to make a nomination.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Obama's statement:

"Scalia died, it sucks. No, really I'm deeply saddened you guys. After we mourn I'm going to do my duty and nominate a replacement and I expect the Senate to do their job and not gently caress around until after November's elections like they immediately stated they'd do."

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Someone, Some Hero finally destroyed his final horcrux.

Just heard the news a few hours ago and went out and bought a case of the best local microbrew beer I could afford. Don't feel guilty about being happy over his death he was absolutely a great force of evil in the world and we are all better off with out him. I know it might seem ghoulish to celebrate and I do have some sympathy for his family members who may indeed be decent people but Scalia was not at all and would have no sympathy for any of you. Here's hoping this becomes the US version of the UKpol thread after Thatcher died, especially because the political ramifications of this death will be very meaningful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU7gnMSzf_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XO-8SmOQ84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQLQ1Rc_Js

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzVFugFcUto

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

spoon0042 posted:

Obama just spoke, didn't say much other than that he intends to make a nomination.

"I'm going to try and do my job, whether the Republicans like it or not" is a pretty good stance to take.

I'm more curious if he'll make an emergency appointment before the Senate is back on the 22nd. My gut tells me no - since it's probably better to not let the Republicans play the Executive overreach card as an excuse for doing nothing - but on the other hand we're in full on Trollbama mode, so who knows.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Moments after Obama announces his intention to make a new nomination for the Supreme Court, Scalia's pallid, cold body shudders, shakes, and then with shocking quickness sits straight up on its slab. He vomits formaldehyde, and the crude sutures holding together his clammy skin rupture. The corrupt, rotten flesh that had for so long encumbered and weakened him sloughs away as he rises to his feet, exposing an skeleton formed of some sort of meteoric alloy, inscribed with strange runes from no language this Earth has ever known. He falls to his knees and screeches in a tone that calls to sleeping nightmares in every forgotten, tenebrous corner of the Earth.

The world is not done with Scalia, yet - his death has simply purified and strengthened him for the critical work to be done in the coming year.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Sydin posted:

"I'm going to try and do my job, whether the Republicans like it or not" is a pretty good stance to take.

I'm more curious if he'll make an emergency appointment before the Senate is back on the 22nd. My gut tells me no - since it's probably better to not let the Republicans play the Executive overreach card as an excuse for doing nothing - but on the other hand we're in full on Trollbama mode, so who knows.

Some posters have mentioned that Congress has been in a state of Pro forma sessions. Which technically means they are not in recess.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Platonicsolid posted:

They can't serve in both branches at once. Until confirmation, they're not a member of the judicial branch.

Yes they can. Law only forbids someone from serving in Congress while also holding an office of the United States. It says nothing about being in the executive and judicial at the same time.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

biznatchio posted:

Yes they can. Law only forbids someone from serving in Congress while also holding an office of the United States. It says nothing about being in the executive and judicial at the same time.

Technically correct, Scalia would approve.

e: Time for the debate, let's see how long this takes to go complete shitshow.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
With full knowledge of how hopelessly naive this sounds I find it really hard to believe that Republicans will think it is politically advantageous to stall out an entire branch of government just because they don't like they president for 11 months when they haven't even nominated someone to replace him yet.

Just politically how do you make the argument that you should be trusted with governance when you won't even hold a hearing to fill a Supreme Court justice opening just because you don't like the president?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Tea baggers aren't rational. Nor are their voters.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Three Olives posted:

With full knowledge of how hopelessly naive this sounds I find it really hard to believe that Republicans will think it is politically advantageous to stall out an entire branch of government just because they don't like they president for 11 months when they haven't even nominated someone to replace him yet.

Just politically how do you make the argument that you should be trusted with governance when you won't even hold a hearing to fill a Supreme Court justice opening just because you don't like the president?
The threat of being primaried is one hell of a drug.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

They're going to play up how it isn't faaaaaaaaaaaaair that Obama got to nominate all these Supreme Court Justices just because that's what the American People elected him to do, twice.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Three Olives posted:

You obviously haven't been paying attention to the current Congress. They can and will completely stonewall a Constitutional process for a full year - all the while playing themselves up as true patriots who are trying to uphold the American way - just to spite Obama.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Sydin posted:

You obviously haven't been paying attention to the current Congress. They can and will completely stonewall a Constitutional process for a full year - all the while playing themselves up as true patriots who are trying to uphold the American way - just to spite Obama a negro.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Also on the hopelessly naive side, realistically do conservatives believe they can appoint someone as far right or even as right as Scalia? Scalia for real believed and argued that the police should be allowed to break into gay people's homes and arrest them for having sex and that innocence wasn't a sufficient argument against the death penalty

There is a very real chance that Democrats take control of the Senate and presidency in January and appoint someone far more left than Obama would realistically nominate right now and very little chance that they could appoint someone even with winning the presidency and retaining the Senate that wouldn't be left of Scalia at least on social issues.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

This is a better day for politics then the current election. gently caress that man for sticking his beliefs into the rule of law. I can only give this thread one :five: for the announcement and it beats hearing about Thatcher or Regan passing.

reagans's death meant that the echoes of reagan's legacy were now the fault of a dead man that we couldnt really curse after that day and we had a long depressing road ahead of dealing with his long tail
scalia's death means that one of those echoes is gone

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
This is truly an achievement for Scalia himself. He has become one with the ideals he proudly espoused.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
How long until the republicans canonize him to go along with Saint Reagan?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

How long until the republicans canonize him to go along with Saint Reagan?

So what would Reagan do

https://twitter.com/igorvolsky/status/698682511350755328

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I hated just about everything Scalia believed but he still made very good arguments. There's no situation where Obama nominates someone very liberal because they would burn the senate down. The question is how much of a comprimise does he make. This is a giant big loving deal relt alert shift in the Court regardless.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Bishop posted:

I hated just about everything Scalia believed but he still made very good arguments. There's no situation where Obama nominates someone very liberal because they would burn the senate down. The question is how much of a comprimise does he make. This is a giant big loving deal relt alert shift in the Court regardless.

I don't think there's any compromise. Any Republican who's running for re-election will have to vote no just to save their skins, and the best way to do that is to play defense and not have a vote at all. It's a long rear end road to kick the can down but dammit if the GOP isn't gonna try and do just that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

Also on the hopelessly naive side, realistically do conservatives believe they can appoint someone as far right or even as right as Scalia? Scalia for real believed and argued that the police should be allowed to break into gay people's homes and arrest them for having sex and that innocence wasn't a sufficient argument against the death penalty

There is a very real chance that Democrats take control of the Senate and presidency in January and appoint someone far more left than Obama would realistically nominate right now and very little chance that they could appoint someone even with winning the presidency and retaining the Senate that wouldn't be left of Scalia at least on social issues.

Serious question: how good of a chance is this? The presidency I could see, although personally I think it'll be a really close election. But senate wise that a lot of seats to win to gain control again, and it never seems like the Dems have the movement of the republicans recently.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Three Olives posted:

That second one, the one that generated the fake quote, really isn't that bad- it's just really easy to misrepresent the decision. That said...

Bishop posted:

I hated just about everything Scalia believed but he still made very good arguments.
Scalia actually usually didn't make particularly good legal arguments- he was just very good at getting people to believe he was making good arguments. His entire theory of strict textualism was basically a sham he used or discarded on a whim.

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009
RBG going to retire at the end of the term now.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

MayakovskyMarmite posted:

RBG going to retire at the end of the term now.

If, lord above forbid, the Republicans win she better literally hang on to dear life for at least another 4 years.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Three Olives posted:

Well technically, there is no set number of justices. Nine is just convention because they need an odd number to break ties.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013

spoon0042 posted:

Yeah, that's an amazing quote. Or paraphrase I hope. The government torturing confessions out of people? Nothing wrong with that!

I used to say I didn't wish Scalia dead necessarily, just that I wouldn't want anything done to him he'd think was unconstitutional. Moot point now. :v:

Let's take a moment to remember he said it on network television, when the interview host asked him about cruel and unusual punishment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPqjCM6e5oM

I think what makes this particular statement so memorable is that from a certain point of view he was technically correct: interrogation isn't punishment. But this is the kind of weaselly, hair-splitting argument, going against every grain of good sense, that you expect from a comic-book villain kind of lawyer, or one from a bad joke.

The world is better off without him. May God have mercy on his soul.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
If Pres. Obama wants to fully cause a Republican meltdown: "I am proud to nominate the first black, female, lesbian, atheist to the Supreme Court."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Three Olives posted:

if youre a rep in congress who's up for reelection then you dont wanna compromise cause you'll get smashed in primaries. i could maybe see a confirmation later on after theyre not at risk anymore but at that point why not just wait a few weeks longer and see what happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well technically, there is no set number of justices. Nine is just convention because they need an odd number to break ties.

fdr learned that you are wrong the hard way

• Locked thread