Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

Tell me he came with an afro. I'm BEGGING you.

Unfortunately not. He is an American though. I'm taking this as a sign that I should definitely make Bob Ross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Lunethex posted:

This archon is a pimp.

This makes me miss having RPGs from EU.

Also

Serious Face Ironman On normal :smith: Day 2:

Acquired 4 rookies from scanning.
Acquired Scientist from first Sectoid mission with no hits taken and 1 turn to spare.
Acquired Engineer from scanning.

Things can only go down hill from here.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Random thought, with all these lying "Successful Shot Percentage" readings... I dunno if it's been discussed already, but maybe it just doesn't count overwatch shots? Cause the only shots I missed on this last mission were all overwatch shots (dammit, Zaeed!), all the manual shots hit home. Successful Shot percentage: 100%.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

BlazetheInferno posted:

Random thought, with all these lying "Successful Shot Percentage" readings... I dunno if it's been discussed already, but maybe it just doesn't count overwatch shots? Cause the only shots I missed on this last mission were all overwatch shots (dammit, Zaeed!), all the manual shots hit home. Successful Shot percentage: 100%.

If you mean the post-mission stats in the skyranger, that is definitely just for regular shots. People have beaten missions with just overwatch shots and grenades and that shows up blank.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

BlazetheInferno posted:

I didnt think it counted overwatch at all.

I had a mission where i overwatched it. (as in i didnt fire a single shot out of oeverwatch)

The end screen showed damage done but it left the hit % blank, think it also left the top damage blank too.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I was blessed with Dong Zhang on my first playthrough. I didn't modify his person a touch because he was generated to perfection. Seriously looks like he'd be in some kind of chinese Predator knockoff.

Dong Meltdown.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

Operant posted:

second avatar getting hit, then teleporting literally 2 rooms back in the level.

Holy poo poo if this is why I can't find them, thank you in advance. I had just shelved the game because I was stuck.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I had a 100% chance to refresh all my team's action points from a lamp post, so I made them all take up positions around the first pod, overwatch and all. I then shoot a propane tank next to the pod with my gunslinger to start the fight...

and blow up the lamp post that was right next to it. I kinda forgot about that. :madmax:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I had a 100% chance to refresh all my team's action points from a lamp post, so I made them all take up positions around the first pod, overwatch and all. I then shoot a propane tank next to the pod with my gunslinger to start the fight...

and blow up the lamp post that was right next to it. I kinda forgot about that. :madmax:

:ocelot: Nice job

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I've done the same thing and forgotten to leave the hacker an action free after popping the ambush.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
Am I missing something, is Lightning Hands bugged? It says you won't lose an action by shooting your pistol, but it still removes an action.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

I just beat the game late last night of Commander.

Couple questions last mission: the first part of the network stage, did anyone just go with 3 rangers with wraith armor? Basically I went with 1 ranger 2 heavies and I probably would have died if not for my ranger ghosting to the terminal.

3 psychics. All with Domination. It was beautiful.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Remote User posted:

Am I missing something, is Lightning Hands bugged? It says you won't lose an action by shooting your pistol, but it still removes an action.

Its a literal green skill, not your pistol button

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Nebiros posted:

Company of Heroes would be a close second.

I had the same thought. When someone's getting suppressed they could yell "I'M A LITTLE FUCKIN' BUSY HERE!" and it would be perfect

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Tae posted:

Its a literal green skill, not your pistol button

I'm not using my pistol button. :(

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Has anyone else been sending bug reports to 2K? They send the best poo poo back.

2KSupport posted:

Hello Commander Richardepsilonhughes,

Thank you for contacting 2K Customer Support! We’ve received your unit’s transmission requesting assistance and have mobilized the Avenger to respond. Once our team arrives we will make sure to deal with the ADVENT threat and get your forces operational for combat.

The results of your analysis have come back from the research lab and Dr. Tygan has developed a 5-stage operation to deal with this threat:

Verifying Game Cache
· Load Steam
· From the Library section, right-click on the game and select “Properties” from the menu
· Select the “Local files” tab and click the “Verify integrity of game cache” button
· Steam will match the local files to the cloud files, and fix any errors it encounters

Reinstalling DirectX
· In your Steam folder for the game you’re having trouble with, there will be typically be a DirectX setup package.
· Example file path: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2\ _CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010
· Find and run DXSETUP.exe
· Reboot the computer (mandatory)

Reinstalling Vcredist
· Navigate to your game’s steam folder – there will be two Vcredist folders.
· C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2 \ _CommonRedist\vcredist\2012
· C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2 \ _CommonRedist\vcredist\2013
· Find and Run vcredist_x86.exe in both folders
· Find and Run vcredist_x64.exe in both folders
· Should the files already be installed, you will be prompted to either ‘uninstall’ or ‘repair’. Choose ‘repair’.

Reinstalling Microsoft .NET
· Navigate to your game’s steam folder – there will be a DotNet folder.
· C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2 \ _CommonRedist\DotNet\4.5.1
· Find and Run NDP451-KB2872776-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe
· Should the file already be installed, you will be prompted to either ‘uninstall’ or ‘repair’. Choose ‘repair’.

Unplugging Gamepad Controllers
+ Certain Gamepad controllers may not be optimized or compatible with the game thus it could likely be a cause for issues experienced. Please unplug any connected Gamepad controllers from your PC and try again.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, Dr. Tygan will need to see your DXDiag and MSinfo files, please. This info is non-invasive logs of your PC’s specs and any errors it may have recently encountered. This information is not sensitive but we have scrambled a couple of Ravens to ensure it does not get intercepted en route to us aboard Avenger.

To get these files:

1) Close all open applications
2) Press the Windows key +'R' on your keyboard > Type dxdiag > Click OK > Click Save all information
3) Press the Windows key +'R' on your keyboard > Type msinfo32 > Click OK > Select File and then EXPORT and save the file as a text file(*.txt)

We would also like to ask you to send us your XCOM 2 Launch.Log files which can be located in the following directory. (Or whatever drive you installed the game on). These files will help us identify any errors reported in-game.

C:\Users<user name>\Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\Logs

Log in to your support ticket and then select the attach file option under the comments box to attach the files to your case. Alternatively respond to this email with the files attached.

Once I receive the DxDiag and MSinfo files I will deliver them to Dr. Tygan for further analysis in the labs. We also have confirmed reports that certain mods may not only affect performance but continue to affect performance even after they are uninstalled. If your problem is persisting please uninstall any mods then do a complete reinstall of your game.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, we ask that you please share any intel and we will give you any intel we have gathered on our end.

We will be in touch, Commander!

Ethan P.
2K Support

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.
My favorite random name generation thus far was seeing the death of a civilian named Dong Wang while on Operation Hot Widow.

Nordick posted:

I was thinking about trying to make a voice pack of Caleb from the old FPS Blood, but to be honest this game probably needs WAY more clips than can be squeezed out of the source material to not be really repetitive.
I mentioned this before, but the default American English Male 1 voicepack in the SDK contains 985 unique voicefiles linked to 80 unique sound cues across a stack of unique voice banks. That's all for one selectable soldier voice. (I haven't even found some of the cues/sounds like when your dudes pick up a body and I haven't looked into how the game switches between voice banks based on character attitude.) Interestingly, there's a ton of stuff in there (complete with cue links) for SHIVs and Arc Throwers, under the anticipation that they'll either return in DLC or be modded in by people at some point.

As to external soundfiles, anything ripped from TV/Movies/Games is extremely jarring ingame unless you're working from a high quality, clean source and can reasonably match the coms distortion effect they put on everything else. I abandoned some of my quick mod ideas because they sounded like boiled poo poo on ingame tests. Going to stick to doing my own voicework with as close to the matching distortion effect as I can manage.

Internet Kraken posted:

Does this voice pack include him screaming :byodood: GRENADA :byodood: whenever he throws a grenade? Wouldn't be STALKER without that.
That dude quite literally just dumped 100 of the character's soundfiles into the development kit, linked them to a handful of random sound cues, and called it good.

along the way
Jan 18, 2009
Is there a hotkey to wait at a location?

I'm getting a bug where I can't click the wait button when at HQ because the continent bonus is stealing the focus.

Every time I try to click the wait button, the continent bonus description blocks me from doing it.

along the way fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 14, 2016

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

shortspecialbus posted:

ooooo

How is it, quality-wise? Or is it literally from the game files but wasn't enabled for whatever reason?

Actually from the game, not the Cheeky Breeki one. It's called 'Miss Russian Voice' or some poo poo, sounds like every other voice in the game.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

jfood posted:

Actually from the game, not the Cheeky Breeki one. It's called 'Miss Russian Voice' or some poo poo, sounds like every other voice in the game.

I'll link for the lazy:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=623234404&searchtext=miss+russian

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

along the way posted:

I'm getting a bug where I can't click the wait button when at HQ because the continent bonus is stealing the focus.

Every time I try to click the wait button, the continent bonus description blocks me from doing it.

Pretty sure Space works.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Perestroika posted:

Sometimes you just kill an MEC so hard it waves you goodbye :allears:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/FaithfulHighEasteuropeanshepherd.webm

That should be on the OP as "Rules of Nature dot Xcom"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

along the way posted:

Space. Also try zoom in/out

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Is there a mod to make the game pick soldiers ONLY from the ones i've created?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How annoying is the extra advent alloy armor dark event? I'd really like to go for another event that gives me 110 intel, cause I'm hurting for intel right now, but man this sounds like it would be really bad.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Megasabin posted:

How annoying is the extra advent alloy armor dark event? I'd really like to go for another event that gives me 110 intel, cause I'm hurting for intel right now, but man this sounds like it would be really bad.

Just means you should probably pack some extra grenades

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Segmentation Fault posted:

Unfortunately not. He is an American though. I'm taking this as a sign that I should definitely make Bob Ross.

"We should use a little acid here. You can always use a little acid on Mutons. Paint that ground nice and green."

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Megasabin posted:

1 armor isn't poo poo unless you're behind on gun.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Is it worth it to spend 90 intel on an engineer at the black market? I have 4 and am in the early game yet, but obviously I could use 5 immediately, just not sure how scarce intel is going to end up being.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Destro posted:

Is it worth it to spend 90 intel on an engineer at the black market? I have 4 and am in the early game yet, but obviously I could use 5 immediately, just not sure how scarce intel is going to end up being.

It's worth it. The most you need is around 8 for the whole game, but the sooner you get it, the better since that's extra supplies/alloy/crystals. Intel gets plentiful in the midgame, especially once you're forced to do skulljacks.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
get every engineer forever

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Just beat the game on Veteran Ironman! I didn't encounter any gamebreaking bugs, and I enjoyed the game a lot. It feels like a really solid improvement from XCOM: EU.

I want to play another campaign on Commander or Legend now. Help.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Tae posted:

It's worth it. The most you need is around 8 for the whole game, but the sooner you get it, the better since that's extra supplies/alloy/crystals. Intel gets plentiful in the midgame, especially once you're forced to do skulljacks.

I'll pick her up then, on that note how important are scientists? I remember them being not so important in EU, I have 2 right now is it worth buying any of them or would it be best just to pick them up from mission rewards.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Up until the very end (and I suppose I kinda rushed the ending) I was always in need of an extra engineer. I didn't build a workshop until the very end too, so that made it much worse. On the other hand by the time I had the shadow chamber I had 3-4 research projects left and was feeling a bit silly for building my laboratory so early on (or at all, from what i've heard it's only needed on legend difficulty).

e: I ended up with 6/6 engineers/scientists at the end.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Destro posted:

I'll pick her up then, on that note how important are scientists? I remember them being not so important in EU, I have 2 right now is it worth buying any of them or would it be best just to pick them up from mission rewards.

Meh. I literally had nothing to research in like the last month or two in my completed run. Nothing you need to research is that important as the game goes on, and autopsies become instant whenever you kill enough of that enemy and other story stuff.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Given the choice, should I be grabbing Intel over supplies? It's probably cheaper buying engineers and scientists with Intel, right?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Captain Ironblood posted:

Given the choice, should I be grabbing Intel over supplies? It's probably cheaper buying engineers and scientists with Intel, right?

Supplies are very important in the early to early-mid game, because getting the next tier of weapons, armor, some extra stuff like a mimic beacon, key buildings like GTS/AWC/Proving Ground/etc. up are the real success. You're not guaranteed an engineer every time the black market resets.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Captain Ironblood posted:

The black market will sell you supplies for intel, at a pretty favourable rate. Always pick intel over supplies unless it's a ludicrous amount of supplies on offer, or if you're currently choked on supplies and have already bought the thing from the black market this month.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Well, it really depends on how much supplies and intel you have.

If you're swimming in supplies, you'll want to spend that over intel on engineers if you're low on Intel.

Honestly, I'd agree that scientists are FAR less important than they were even in enemy within. Engineers though... eventually you'll have enough, but that's late-lategame. Until then, there'll always be at least one open spot you're looking at going "I wanna fill that slot..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

BlazetheInferno posted:

Until then, there'll always be at least one open spot you're looking at going "I wanna fill that slot..."

Reminds me of college.

I decided to watch Beagle's playthrough to see what I'm doing wrong, and I'm getting some good ideas at least as far as how to only engage one pod at a time. I had assumed that all the pods knew where you were once you broke stealth and would head to you this go around, as that had sort of been my experience, but I think it was some poor play on my part combined with really bad luck with pods being super close to each other.

I had also forgotten the value of blowing up cover.

I'm hoping he gets more into stealth as I keep watching, as that's something that I'm struggling with right now.