Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

MC Nietzche posted:

That gibberish wasn't Spanish, which makes it even more hilarious.

I didn't see that part, but that's hilarious if true. Never mind a scummy as hell debate tactic. Though given that Cruz's campaign falsified reports about Carson dropping out that's not all that surprising.

Are any news agencies reporting on that yet? That seems like the sort of thing that'd go unnoticed by most people. And would even give Cruz a boost if it isn't reported on since it makes Rubio look like a dick.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

MC Nietzche posted:

That gibberish wasn't Spanish, which makes it even more hilarious.

wait seriously? Lmfao if true

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
If Cruz's Spanish was actually nonsense that will be a huge narrative.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Twitter is saying that it was spanish. Just extremely mangled to the point of being incomprehensible.

Which kind of says that Rubio was right, actually.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

https://twitter.com/TheDemocrats/status/698720035657883648

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Meg From Family Guy posted:

wait seriously? Lmfao if true

https://twitter.com/aurabogado/status/698706493084794880

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Kro-Bar posted:

In a general election, yeah. But in a primary with the current GOP base it's a positive boon.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Amazing. I'll go back to posting "X is not wrong" tomorrow but this debate was too juicy to pass up on

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Let's focus on the issues here.

https://twitter.com/grovernorquist/status/698715976351797248

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Did I fall alseep and miss 10 million Americans becoming superheroes? That seems like it would at least make CNN.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Kro-Bar posted:

He said "Why don't you say it again now"

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
https://mobile.twitter.com/davesterrett/status/698723291884748802

Interesting if this narrative catches on.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Goddamnit, I forgot about the debate tonight. Will have to find a youtube upload.

Also, good loving riddance Scalia :toot:

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Hope they get Biden out on the talk shows talking about he confirmed Reagan's SC nominee in early 1988.

What kind of pressure is going to be applied to blue/purple state GOP senators? I've got to think that the Maine GOP senators, Kirk and etc can't get away with blocking an Obama SC nomination if the messaging is done correctly by Obama.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Mitt Romney posted:

Hope they get Biden out on the talk shows talking about he confirmed Reagan's SC nominee in early 1988.

What kind of pressure is going to be applied to blue/purple state GOP senators? I've got to think that the Maine GOP senators, Kirk and etc can't get away with blocking an Obama SC nomination if the messaging is done correctly by Obama.

Does it even matter? Grassley and McConnell can keep any nomination from ever reaching the floor of the senate.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Trump told everyone Jeb was going to moon them.

Now, if you didn't watch the debate, you might think I am making a humorous quip here.

I am not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfc0okwA2OM&t=110s

by the way, Trump making GBS threads on Jeb earlier in that video is great too

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

smg77 posted:

Does it even matter? Grassley and McConnell can keep any nomination from ever reaching the floor of the senate.

I'm assuming that Senators will still be held accountable for not publicly stating/asking McConnell to bring up the confirmation.

In CO, WI, IL, NV, KY I am hopeful it can be damaging for their reelection prospects to even be a GOP senator during the blocking.

Mitt Romney fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 14, 2016

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Mitt Romney posted:

I'm assuming that Senators will still be held accountable

:shobon:

I mean I wish we lived in a country where that was true but congressional approval ratings have been scraping the bottom of the barrel for years and there's no sign of it improving any time soon. I guess those senators could make some half-hearted noise but if McConnell wants to obstruct that's not going to be enough to stop him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So how much is the e-cigarette industry paying him again

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

He said "Why don't you say it again now"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bk4pCXwkbY

quote:

Cruz said this to Rubio in Spanish: "Marco, si quiere, díselo ahora mismo, ahora mismo díselo ahora, en español, si quiere." Good Cuban accent.

Quick translation: "Marco, if you like, say it to him right now, right now say to him, in Spanish, if you like."

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
This fuckin' election man. This is just all so insane. Writers for The Onion have basically given up trying to make up outlandish poo poo to skewer political reality. The Scalia piece was funny, don't get me wrong, but they just can't out-crazy the crazies anymore with their articles. All they've got left is hanging on for the wild ride and making comments about what is actually happening. Even white hot sphere of pure rage isn't absurd anymore, it's just a description of reality.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Yeah, missed it on first play but on that replay it's pretty good spanish. Surprised, since Cruz has claimed his spanish is terrible when he was running for senate.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1678902735001/ted-cruz-on-spanish-debate/#sp=show-clips (1:00 mark)

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Mitt Romney posted:

He's technically President of the Senate. I want him at every Senate session in the President's chair making WTF expressions when there isn't call to confirm Obama's nominee.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Interesting. I wonder why Spanish speaking pundits said it was gibberish, maybe it was mangled just enough live.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

smg77 posted:

I wish Grassley hadn't gone full shithead. :(

Just like every grandpa in Iowa.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

MC Nietzche posted:

Interesting. I wonder why Spanish speaking pundits said it was gibberish, maybe it was mangled just enough live.

It was mangled because Cruz kept referring to himself as "he" and instead of I or me.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It was mangled because Cruz kept referring to himself as "he" and instead of I or me.

Ah, so the grammar was bad. Thanks.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
dimelo not diselo, yeah

e: unless it's "tell them"

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
At this point in time, I have precisely no idea what will end up happening in the GOP primary, and I love that.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
SCALIA'S DEAD SCALIA'S DEAD I DON'T CARE THAT YA'LL WERE POSTING ABOUT IT TWENTY PAGES AGO I JUST GOT HOME FROM WORK AND SCALIA'S FUKKEN DEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Depends. If he was referring to the moderator that might be more correct. Still, it's passable.

1stGear posted:

SCALIA'S DEAD SCALIA'S DEAD I DON'T CARE THAT YA'LL WERE POSTING ABOUT IT TWENTY PAGES AGO I JUST GOT HOME FROM WORK AND SCALIA'S FUKKEN DEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD
Now we know why so many others died earlier this year. Scalia would not go cheaply.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
We need a Scalia's greatest hits post or two, you know in celebration.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

dimelo not diselo, yeah

e: unless it's "tell them"

Nah. Rubio said "You don't even speak spanish! How could you tell if I was lying?"

Cruz tried to say "Marco, why don't you ask me again right now? Ask me again in Spanish if you want to."

Instead he said, "Marco, if you like, say it to him right now, right now say to him, in Spanish, if you like."

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

OAquinas posted:

Now we know why so many others died earlier this year. Scalia would not go cheaply.

This is the universe paying us back after so cruelly taking David Bowie

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mitt Romney posted:

I'm assuming that Senators will still be held accountable for not publicly stating/asking McConnell to bring up the confirmation.

In CO, WI, IL, NV, KY I am hopeful it can be damaging for their reelection prospects to even be a GOP senator during the blocking.

I think you will be surprised how little voters will respond to claims that the GOP is blocking a SCOTUS nomination.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I think you will be surprised how little voters will respond to claims that the GOP is blocking a SCOTUS nomination.

We know.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

I know I've repeated myself a number of times on the issue, but people continue to hold out hope otherwise.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'm not so certain. "GOP is doing procedural bad thing" ok sure.

But tie it to abortion, that whoever sits in that chair will either push the anti choice movement back a generation or be one to effectively end Roe v Wade, do it in an election where we've already got the topic so hyped people are being murdered after rhetoric from candidates, and have a woman at the top of the ticket for one party

then I think it can matter a lot to get turnout going.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I know I've repeated myself a number of times on the issue, but people continue to hold out hope otherwise.

For like the vast majority of America the biggest beacon of social change, for better or for worse, has been rulings from the SCOTUS. All you need to say is 'these fucks wanna wait a YEAR to get the 9th seat filled because they think that means they'll be sure to get an anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-voting rights, and anti-union guy in it.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
This is neither here nor there, but good for some perspective. While I think it's a great thing that Scalia has passed, the posters in this thread are such hypocritical assholes when it comes to people dying and their moral highgrounds. I don't think you'd have to go back very far in previous threads to find a dogpile about someone being happy that someone died, and it happened to me once.

• Locked thread