Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you ever look at Ned's face, your soul gets sucked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
What's interesting for me is that it seems like a lot of people who don't like the ending felt Ned's story sort of just came out of nowhere. I actually felt like Brian actually came up a lot in conversation. But I think that speaks to the story being shaped by choices, how you interact with optional dialogue cues, and the pitfalls in that.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Well that was a big let down.

I saw a deer. And a turtle. And a bee. So much for the wilderness.

Either the game has plot holes, or it's a game with no pay off. My biggest problem is why she walked PAST YOUR TOWER (twice!!) to put a walky talky south of you, when she could have just walked up the steps to your tower on the way there. And she dosn't know how walky talkies work, and nether person using them is aware that anyone can listen in, so getting 2nd one won't stop anyone else listening in? And she's been using a radio for 10 years?

Her tower can SEE the fence of a secret government research site she claims to have no knowledge of? And she dosn't know 3 people work there at points in the year? All right, seems I missed a bit where she didn't read a document about it. But she can see the chain link fence from her tower! Her entire job for 10 years has been looking out of that tower.

She took photo's of the previous watcher and his son, and then didn't care to ask where he';d gone...little lone that he effectively disappeared and no one came looking for a kid who surly someone would have said is missing? Unless I missed that conversation too?

And now the guy's running around further in the back woods, who almost killed you, and neither of you are going to report it? Or that the dead boy is STILL there and the next person to go explore the cave is going to find them?

Either the game has huge plot holes, or it's actually supposed to be the set up for a episode of the X-Files, which would be a much more entertaining game. Mulder and Scully argue about it, and turns out it WAS just some stupid drunk people, not aliens, big foot, government conspiracy's or the Loch Ness Monster behind it all. The writings and voice acting is very well done - I'd pay for such a game. Sadly, I don't know if I can trust the makers to make a good pay off at the end.

My conclusion must was is that she's in cahoots with the guy running around, but there's no denouement or pay off for that, despite half the game setting it up as an option.

Great voice work, a good script, well written characters (to a point, the last 20 minutes need to be massively re-written, as all 3 characters change character completely) but let down by a stupid plot that makes no sense, or has no pay off to make it all worth while watching it in the first place.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In order of questions asked:

Delilah didn't go past Henry's tower because at that point they both knew Ned was watching him there, but not from where he was doing so. She went the long way around, via the west end of the map.

Delilah explicitly cannot see the fence or into the research site, and on your way to track down the drunk girls you can point out its existence to her and she tells you she can't spot it because it's in the valley between mountains. Once you've explored the site, there is an optional conversation where you find a dead elk wearing a collar, at which point she recalls reading about an animal tracking experiment taking place in the area and reveals that she did in fact know about the site but had forgotten until that moment.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the photos of Ned and Brian- if you're talking about the ones in the credits, those are from the camera Henry found in Brian's backpack.

Ned and Brian never being reported missing- to Delilah's knowledge anyway -might be a legitimate plothole. As far as I've seen, it's never addressed one way or another besides her saying that they just up and left in the middle of the summer when you find Brian's backpack.

Also, the whole forest is about to be consumed by fire so it's probably not the best time to go reporting a body. If you want you can pretend like Henry and Delilah reported it after evacuating, because that would make sense provided you took pictures of Ned's hideout and such- otherwise, any evidence of his or Brian's being there in the first place will be up in flames.

Zaburino
Jul 22, 2006

Most disappointing moment in the game was when the boombox I carted all the way back from the lake disappeared from my lookout after the day transition. I was looking forward to the narrative possibilities of what listening to the same song for 80 days would do to Henry's psyche.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

This conspiracy plot line has no falling action. Delilah says "Wow, that's crazy. Anyway, get to my lookout now. Also, I'm leaving you here." That plot just ends with a wet fart. Then you finally get to her lookout and she tells you on the radio "Welp, I'm leaving and not coming back, you should do the same thing. Bye forever." It just abruptly ends.

That's not an accurate description of what happens at all.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Toady posted:

That's not an accurate description of what happens at all.

Yeah it's more like

"so i don't think he intentionally killed his-"
"wow that's crazy. What a murdering rear end in a top hat"
"er-"
"that murderer is going straight to jail when i'm through with him. straight to the electric chair"
"wait but these pictures and stuff i found in his hideou-"
"he's going to rot in hell, the murderer"

*later*

"so our story to the cops is that he's a murderer, call you later"
"yes absolutely"

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 14, 2016

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Might want to tag all of those spoilers, there.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I liked it, thought all the aspects of the story, the locale and the visuals tied together very well thematically. I didn't get invested in the mystery as much as the 'contemplating the human condition' parts of it, so the ending really worked for me.

Anyway gently caress me I just googled job openings for fire watchers.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Scorchy posted:

What's wrong with you?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Copper Vein posted:

What's wrong with you?

He's running away from his problems.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Seems like an alright gig to go chill by yourself in the woods for a few months and get paid

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Macaluso posted:

Yeah it's more like

"so i don't think he intentionally killed his-"
"wow that's crazy. What a murdering rear end in a top hat"
"er-"
"that murderer is going straight to jail when i'm through with him. straight to the electric chair"
"wait but these pictures and stuff i found in his hideou-"
"he's going to rot in hell, the murderer"

*later*

"so our story to the cops is that he's a murderer, call you later"
"yes absolutely"

Yes, she liked the kid and had legit reasons to dislike Ned over what happened. She outright says 'he may not have killed him, but forcing him to get into climbing directly caused his death'. Why is that a problem, narratively?

CJacobs posted:

Ned and Brian never being reported missing- to Delilah's knowledge anyway -might be a legitimate plothole. As far as I've seen, it's never addressed one way or another besides her saying that they just up and left in the middle of the summer when you find Brian's backpack.
[/spoiler]
Eh the authorities didn't know that Brian was within a million miles of the forest, and Ned told everyone he was going home. They were probably only reported missing when the school year started and Brian didn't show up. It sounds like they didn't have a whole lot of ties to the 'real world'. By that time there's not necessarily any reason for the news to have reached Delilah, and she doesn't make it sound like she went 'digging' for him or anything. Also the internet isn't a thing.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Scorchy posted:

I liked it, thought all the aspects of the story, the locale and the visuals tied together very well thematically. I didn't get invested in the mystery as much as the 'contemplating the human condition' parts of it, so the ending really worked for me.

Sucks to be you, nobody in a week will remember this 3 hour walking simulator memegame.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Scorchy posted:

Seems like an alright gig to go chill by yourself in the woods for a few months and get paid

poo poo in the woods like a bear, get money

yeah that doesn't sound half bad

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Id be down with spending a summer in one of those towers talking to a presumably dreamy lady over walkie talkie while picking up beer cans and finding turtles. Sign me the gently caress up.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Steve2911 posted:

Yes, she liked the kid and had legit reasons to dislike Ned over what happened. She outright says 'he may not have killed him, but forcing him to get into climbing directly caused his death'. Why is that a problem, narratively?

Because she treated him like a murderer when he wasn't. I didn't like that she was so adamant about it despite it being obvious to me, the person literally in the dude's hideout looking at the evidence, that he loved his son and the death was an accident. I don't care if it "directly caused his death" and if Delilah didn't like Ned. I'm telling Delilah, as the dude in the middle of the drat fire in Ned's secret hideout looking at his poo poo that he didn't kill his son. I wasn't really given an option to press the matter and be like "loving LISTEN TO ME" And I didn't like that the game didn't give me an option at the end to say "uh wait no" when Delilah "confirms our story" about him for when we report to the cops. Henry just agrees to it and I'm sitting there like "??? okay then"

Like I could understand the dialogue going this way if I ignored going to his hideout

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

Id be down with spending a summer in one of those towers talking to a presumably dreamy lady over walkie talkie while picking up beer cans and finding turtles. Sign me the gently caress up.

Same. Going several months without seeing any people? Why that just sounds like the perfect goon vacation :cool:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I think the only thing I'm a bit disappointed in is that, as a game itself, I would have enjoyed having multiple endings. I think the singular ending is pretty great and very book-like.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just finished the game without interacting with Delilah at all, except when needed to trigger plot advances.

It got prettty drat weird, but also hilarious - if you break into Waipiti Station without getting the untapped radio (just go there while Delihla wants you to look at the flora poster) she gets seriously pissed off when you keep talking to her on the old radio. You never tell her about the wave receiver, so when you talk about it the following day, she is very confused about what your're even talking about. Also, when you dont' talk to her after you find the cave key, she brings up the figure in your tower very awkwardly. Also, Brian gets brought up out of nowhere, which is also awkward. The game really wants to talk about him when you find his backpack, but Delihla drops it quickly again when you don't respond. Of course, the game probably wasn't made for goons who's never interacted with a girl before.

Playing the game this way certainly made it feel like Hiking Simulator 2016.

Also, try to bring up the map while you're at Delihla's station :pcgaming:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

brylcreem posted:

I just finished the game without interacting with Delilah at all, except when needed to trigger plot advances.

It got prettty drat weird, but also hilarious - if you break into Waipiti Station without getting the untapped radio (just go there while Delihla wants you to look at the flora poster) she gets seriously pissed off when you keep talking to her on the old radio. You never tell her about the wave receiver, so when you talk about it the following day, she is very confused about what your're even talking about. Also, when you dont' talk to her after you find the cave key, she brings up the figure in your tower very awkwardly. Also, Brian gets brought up out of nowhere, which is also awkward. The game really wants to talk about him when you find his backpack, but Delihla drops it quickly again when you don't respond. Of course, the game probably wasn't made for goons who's never interacted with a girl before.

Playing the game this way certainly made it feel like Hiking Simulator 2016.

Also, try to bring up the map while you're at Delihla's station :pcgaming:

Wait. What happens with the map??

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Blind Rasputin posted:

Wait. What happens with the map??

The only way they could render the drawing of Henry in the tower was to steal the map for that purpose, so trying to read the map is probably hilariously broken at that point.

e: 41:25 here http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/02/12/firewatch-secrets-spoilers-and-behind-the-scenes-with-campo-santo

Vando fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 14, 2016

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I just did it. It shows you in your own tower. :lost:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Vando posted:

The only way they could render the drawing of Henry in the tower was to steal the map for that purpose, so trying to read the map is probably hilariously broken at that point.

e: 41:25 here http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/02/12/firewatch-secrets-spoilers-and-behind-the-scenes-with-campo-santo

What, like your map with the M key? I have a save at that part of the game and I can't figure out what he's talking about. My map is normal.

Edit: Oh, mine shows me as being between cache 306 and the medicine wheel.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 14, 2016

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

So I just bought this game on Steam and it won't even let me start a new game. I'm just stuck on a black loading screen with the Firewatch logo. Also there was no audio on the start menu but I don't know if there is meant to be any.

I5-3570k, 8 gig Ram, AMD 280x.

Is there a solution for this?

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

Edit: Oh, mine shows me as being between cache 306 and the medicine wheel.

Yeah, that's what I meant - even though I was between cache 306 and my tower?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Chiming in to say I really enjoyed this game, I deliberately learned as little as possible about it going in and it played with my expectations brilliantly. I spent a lot of time uncertain what kind of game it'd be, which made a lot of moments appropriately tense - am I being chased through these tunnels? Will the man Delilah saw at my tower be there when I get back, and should I creep around looking for traps before I step inside? Was the other person she was talking to a red herring to make me distrustful, or a deliberate hint that something's going on?

In particular, I enjoyed their take on choice, which felt very organic and blended into gameplay such that decisions like what to call in or whether to do what Delilah suggested fit in right alongside whether to pick up trash or collect notes. It was very hard for me to detect the gameplay seams, which made the experience very immersive. I worried about completing objectives before nightfall because so far as I could tell days were passing on their own and I might not be allowed to continue at night and could fall behind on the story. I worried about the fire on the last day spreading and killing me if I took too long, or the chopper leaving without me, or Delilah telling them to leave without me if she didn't trust me.

The funniest result of this I had was I saved all the camera film in order to take pictures of evidence and other important things related to the mystery, so there'd be some proof of what I'd seen. That meant pictures of the clipboard, of the research site, of the dead body and Ned's camp. It meant during the credits where the music is fairly positive there was this parade of damning evidence floating by rather than I assume the beautiful sunsets they expected you to snap.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dolash posted:

Chiming in to say I really enjoyed this game, I deliberately learned as little as possible about it going in and it played with my expectations brilliantly. I spent a lot of time uncertain what kind of game it'd be, which made a lot of moments appropriately tense - am I being chased through these tunnels? Will the man Delilah saw at my tower be there when I get back, and should I creep around looking for traps before I step inside? Was the other person she was talking to a red herring to make me distrustful, or a deliberate hint that something's going on?

Semi-related, I tensed up like gently caress every time you have to climb up something. I was waiting for the game to put a jumpscare at the top of one of them, even though the first 60 were fine. I wouldn't let the game lull me into a false sense of security, drat it!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Steve2911 posted:

Semi-related, I tensed up like gently caress every time you have to climb up something. I was waiting for the game to put a jumpscare at the top of one of them, even though the first 60 were fine. I wouldn't let the game lull me into a false sense of security, drat it!

Exactly that. That first time when the rope snapped made me think the rope could possibly snap from that point on, so I shimmied the gently caress out of those ropes. After finding Ned's spiderhole I was absolutely sure he was going to appear at the top of one of them and cut your line, like the two marked trails on your map were going to be trapped or something.

What was Ned doing while everything burned, anyway? I assume he wasn't choppered out, did he just start walking back to civilization? The fire would destroy all the evidence apart from what you'd found and photographed, I'm kind of surprised he didn't try to kill you in the end. The game didn't have to end in a brawl, but he'd already tried to lock you in the caves and knock you out that time with thrown rocks.

On another note of choices that feel really organic, when Delilah left the radio on that time and you overhear her talking to someone else, she got mad and stepped away from the radio, and I got a little mad too so I didn't radio anything in for a bit until I found that cut phone line. I ended up finding a burned out cabin in the meanwhile but didn't call her about it and wondered what the hell had happened there, and couldn't remember where I found it again later to go back and ask, so I was left wondering if I'd missed a piece of the puzzle.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 15, 2016

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Dolash posted:

The funniest result of this I had was I saved all the camera film in order to take pictures of evidence and other important things related to the mystery, so there'd be some proof of what I'd seen. That meant pictures of the clipboard, of the research site, of the dead body and Ned's camp. It meant during the credits where the music is fairly positive there was this parade of damning evidence floating by rather than I assume the beautiful sunsets they expected you to snap.

Yeah this was pretty funny I took all the scenic photographs they wanted, but when I got to the part inside the cave, I started leaving, but doubled back to take photographic evidence in case I couldn't make it out or something. So during the credits it started rolling past beautiful sunset, beautiful trees, a rotting corpse, beautiful lakes... if only that picture of the dead body wasn't in there I would have considered printing them off for realsies at the firewatch.camera site.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dolash posted:

What was Ned doing while everything burned, anyway? I assume he wasn't choppered out, did he just start walking back to civilization? The fire would destroy all the evidence apart from what you'd found and photographed, I'm kind of surprised he didn't try to kill you in the end. The game didn't have to end in a brawl, but he'd already tried to lock you in the caves and knock you out that time with thrown rocks.

He went further into the forest to escape from the fire- or at least, that's what Henry speculates he did.

Scorchy posted:

Yeah this was pretty funny I took all the scenic photographs they wanted, but when I got to the part inside the cave, I started leaving, but doubled back to take photographic evidence in case I couldn't make it out or something. So during the credits it started rolling past beautiful sunset, beautiful trees, a rotting corpse, beautiful lakes... if only that picture of the dead body wasn't in there I would have considered printing them off for realsies at the firewatch.camera site.

I didn't explore the site for long because when I was using it, it was still busted because the game had only been out for a few hours, but iirc firewatch.camera lets you pick and choose which ones you want to potentially make prints of. You don't have to nab all of them, I don't think.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

CJacobs posted:

He went further into the forest to escape from the fire- or at least, that's what Henry speculates he did.

I didn't explore the site for long because when I was using it, it was still busted because the game had only been out for a few hours, but iirc firewatch.camera lets you pick and choose which ones you want to potentially make prints of. You don't have to nab all of them, I don't think.

It's flat rate $15 including shipping no matter whats on your roll, so you can always chuck a print if you dont want it after it arrives.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Dolash posted:

This is exactly what happened to me, too. I always found myself wondering if the end of the game hinged on you having some kind of "proof", and not having any meaning you get a "bad" ending where you're tossed into prison or something. As a result, all of my pictures were of the monitoring station, radios, clipboards, and typed pages. In a way I think it's kind of brilliant, given that the game makes a point of making both Henry and Delilah paranoid before revealing that they were too tightly wound and prone to fantasy, much like I had become as the player. (I also think this is a good commentary on the expectations of gamers that more modern videogames have set.) I'm also reminded of the "potential for manipulation" score on the typeout analysis for Henry being a 9 or something, which plays into the way I played, as well.

I still find myself thinking a lot about this game a couple of days after finishing it, which is something I only usually find myself doing after reading a really engrossing novel. Campo Santo did a great job.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dolash posted:

I did exactly the same thing. It felt "in-character" to me.

I really liked this game as a middle-aged fuckup simulator. The major characters behaved and reacted just how I'd expect of people so hosed they'd sign up for solitude in the middle of nowhere.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I'm a couple hours in and I'm just not feeling it at all. The mystery isn't intriguing in the slightest and the gameplay is so loving dull, just watching repeated animations go through the same orange rocks forever while listening to bad dialogue between two characters now and again.

Is this the whole schtick? I'm at the bit right now someone tries to trap you in the cave after you get the keys and holy poo poo is all of this so very boring and uninteresting.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Blind Rasputin posted:

I just did it. It shows you in your own tower. :lost:

Around the same point in that video where they talk about the map being busted while in Delilah's tower, they also mention that in the game world, Delilah's tower is positioned above Henry's tower.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Megaspel posted:

I'm a couple hours in and I'm just not feeling it at all. The mystery isn't intriguing in the slightest and the gameplay is so loving dull, just watching repeated animations go through the same orange rocks forever while listening to bad dialogue between two characters now and again.

Is this the whole schtick? I'm at the bit right now someone tries to trap you in the cave after you get the keys and holy poo poo is all of this so very boring and uninteresting.

If you don't like it now, your feelings won't change the farther you get in. I guess some people were expecting a Skyrim-lite exploration sim or something along those lines, but it's really an interactive fiction game focused on the conversations between Henry and Delilah. I thought it was different and refreshing.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Megaspel posted:

You haven't got to the turret sequence yet.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Megaspel posted:

The dialogue between Henry and Delilah is the best part of the game, so if you're not feeling that, nothing else in the game's really gonna appeal to ya. You're also like 30 minutes away from the end of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Ending fell flat for me for the same reasons as some others.

Really enjoyed the relationship between Henry and Delilah, but the "mystery" felt like it put the game on rails and it was something I wasn't particularly interested in so when the big reveal of dead son in cave happened all it got out of me was a big "oh ok".

I think the game could've used an extra hour or two of game time because it felt like it went from 0 to 60 with fun conversations to WHO THE gently caress IS DOING THIS????!???? , and that was still with me doing my best to explore the entire forest.

• Locked thread