Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Gah, I forgot you can't just stack infinite focus with it. That's annoying. Still think it's worth exploring, but nowhere near as good as I thought for a moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Kavil in the outrider with hlc.

EDIT: probably even better in a Decimator with expose.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 14, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Omega Ace in any Scum ship with a crew slot.

Indeed, there are a shitton of things that are broken when you stick them into ships with crew slots, generally.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Speaking of ships with crew slots, the quest to make a stupid generic E-Wing list continues

quote:

EEK

100 points

PILOTS

Knave Squadron Pilot (31) x 2
E-Wing (27), R2 Astromech (1), Accuracy Corrector (3)

Miranda Doni (38)
K-Wing (29), Autoblaster Turret (2), Extra Munitions (2), Concussion Missiles (4), Intelligence Agent (1), Guidance Chips (0)

Autoblaster Turret is real bad but the thought was it might be fun boosted to three dice, I dunno.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I found a post in BGG in 2013 that said that one of the major things that STAW had over X-Wing was allowing captains in whichever ship, and that if STAW had come first, people would complain in X-Wing that captains were ship locked. Oh, how the years have passed :allears:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I mean I'm sure that if you have really low power abilities, you can do ships and captains separate, but that severely limits your design space. You can't just do what STAW did and have the equivalent of Vader end up in every single ship, because why would you take a shittier captain unless you were doing a specific combo.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Just got back from my second tournament and first tournament win!

It was a team of 2 "furball", with each player getting a single ship up to 30 points (and no point sharing). I thought from the name it was going to be 4 teams and 8 players, but I don't think it was intended to be.... Even if more than one other team had shown up. :P

So we won 2-0 games

My team-mate wanted me to take for my Omega Leader Hull Upgrade+Predator+Weapons Guidence, and I was pushing for Stealth Device+Comms Relay+Juke. He left it up to me, and I chose what I wanted. at the end of the first match he told me he was convinced and was going to save this set up on his phone.

My team mate was flying a royal guard interceptor with the RG title. I don't remember the other things.

The first match was against a nearly naked 666 (just the manuvering fins) and a Styk. We ended up taking out the styk and reducing the 666 to below half before time ran out, with no casualties. I was able to keep my SD for a long time, rolling 5 dice (!) with range 3 attacks or through rocks. It was pretty glorious.

The second match was against the TO. (We each played the TO, since there wasn't any other players, but the outcome only effected us since the TO was inelliganble for prizes). This was a bit tougher. He also flew scum with a Z95 lone wolf (N'Du) with cliuster missiles and a Y-wing thug with TLTs. I managed to stick close ot the Y-Wing though much of the match (thus negating his TLT).

We divided off and were each doing one-on-one fights, with me against the Y-Wing and the interceptor against The Z95.

The Z95 wasted their missiles, only taking a single shield from the Royal guard, and both the royal guard and the Z95 blew up together at around the same time. I was just behind and to the left of the Y-Wing, chasing it along the edge of the board. They did the unexpected and dove towards the edge, but I managed to keep behind and finish it off (and next turn there was no way it wasn't going to run off the board anyway).

The loot from this for me was a nice 3D printed token tray, an acrylic extra munitions token, a gunner alt. art card, and an "disco vader" alt. art card

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 14, 2016

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Foolster41 posted:

Just got back from my second tournament and first tournament win!

The loot from this for me was a nice 3D printed token tray, an acrylic extra munitions token, a gunner alt. art card, and an "disco vader" alt. art card

Congrats on your win, and the nice swag!

Tonight we played some garbage games at GA and had fun, then ran more Heroes of the Aturi Cluster; the campaign is good times. Wanted to get in some more reps with VFP, got to run it against Rage Keyan + 3B and a Tactician Kath with Ion Bombs + TAP and OLeader. Both games were absolutely brutal. We had a turn 3 scoop and a turn 4 scoop. Shout-outs to Brunas, doing God's work - testing lovely lists when no one else will.

I'm not sure the result would have been much different, if at all, had the list been POW, except he maybe would have died even faster with Whisper in the list, and OLeader posing a threat to either himself or to TAP would likely have changed my flying strategy in the second game. I should clarify that Brunas is not a bad player, nor bad at flying lists, but I'm pretty sure he's still in MathWing mode and trying out ships that he is unsure as to their efficacy. I think so far the general findings have been "Keyan is a trap" and "there's a reason Imperial Kath never sees the table."

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
Do any of you guys know of a squadron builder or something that has the option to roll a random pilot? A lot of them have random squadrons based on points but I'm playing like a points bidding thing with my friends and we're looking for an easy way to just get a random pilot to bid on.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Well, I mean, pilots are represented by cards. Is there some way to randomize a collection of cards?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Well, I just won a store championship. gently caress that's exhausting.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Man, I went from thinking "eh tournaments are not for me" to "sounds like a ton of fun, I'll have to join one sometime"

I've only been wanging for a few months so there's still a ton to learn but any tips for a prospective first time tournament-er?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Play something that you're comfortable with, that isn't completely terrible. Being good at a list is very important.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

If you've never played with time limits, try playing with time limits. Or at least become more aware of what the current point state of your games is as they start to drag on. You can't always control it but it sucks to lose a game because you flew too cautiously for the last 15 minutes.

Otherwise, tournaments are pretty much just like regular games.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

The Gate posted:

Play something that you're comfortable with, that isn't completely terrible. Being good at a list is very important.

This can't be overstated. Go into a tournament with a list that you have a lot of familiarity with.

admanb posted:

If you've never played with time limits, try playing with time limits. Or at least become more aware of what the current point state of your games is as they start to drag on. You can't always control it but it sucks to lose a game because you flew too cautiously for the last 15 minutes.

Otherwise, tournaments are pretty much just like regular games.

This is arguably even more important. If you have never played with a time limit, practice a few times with a 75 minute hard cap. Points matter a lot in an official environment; tactically it always matters if you lose a 40 point ship, but if you are trying to establish a good margin of victory, keeping in mind what your high-value targets are becomes mission critical. Some lists exist to try to go to time. Some ships are dramatically better at surviving for 30+ minutes on their own than others.

If you haven't played against traditionally in-meta lists, try to get as many reps as possible before the event. Everyone wants to talk about fun police, but the reality is that you will likely face a TLT list, or a POW, or a regen aces list, or whatever. Be prepared for that.

If you are playing at a store championship, try to play a list that minimizes the chances for pilot error. You will probably be fatigued after your sixth straight hour of playing X-Wing.

Stay hydrated.

Most of this matters only if you care about winning. If you don't, then just show up, collect your 3PO, and blow up as much stuff as possible.

EDIT: or troll people to poo poo, that is also a good choice

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 14, 2016

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

Poopy Palpy posted:

Well, I mean, pilots are represented by cards. Is there some way to randomize a collection of cards?

Haha yeah I mean shuffling is the easiest but I have like 140 cards and they're all in fancy binders & stuff! I figured out a way to do it using the squadron builder anyway tho

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Brunas posted:

Keyan Farlander (29)
Rage (1)
Kanan Jarrus (3)
B-Wing/E2 (1)

Total: 34

Don't do this, it was bad.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Brunas posted:

guts and bolts posted:

Shout-outs to Brunas, doing God's work - testing lovely lists when no one else will.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

guts and bolts posted:

This can't be overstated. Go into a tournament with a list that have a lot of familiarity with.

This literally can't be said enough. I ditched my typical XXX list for the Store Champs today (running Poe, Ello, Jake) hoping to catch some of the regulars off-guard (and so I didn't have to borrow cards) and I got loving reamed for an 0-5 finish.

Granted, some of that was dice, like when a B-wing took a range 3 shot at Ello, who rolled focus focus evade against hit hit crit, lost his last shield, and then flipped a Major Explosion into a Direct hit and died instantly. :suicide: That's something good flying can mitigate, but it's not something that good flying can eliminate entirely.

My entire day was full of stuff like that.

- Rolling focus focus focus blank with Poe against a tokenless Juno. Juno's return fire was hit hit crit crit thanks to ATC. Defense was blank blank, lost all three shields and took a crit.

- Taking range 3 HLC fire from Moralo Eval with Ello. First roll: blank blank blank focus. Spend target lock: crit crit crit. Spend focus. Ello dodged two, took one on a shield, and then flipped Blinded Pilot for the other.

- Jake taking fire from two T-70s, both at range 2 from opposite directions. Jake is tokened up. First T-70: hit hit crit. I roll blank blank blank. Evade token stops the crit from going through, lose both shields. Second T-70: hit crit crit. I roll blank blank focus. Jake explodes.

:negative:

Lesson learned: always fly T-65 XXX.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
Wouldn't PTL be way better than rage there anyway?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Not to add pressure to win but the challenge coin is really nice. It's heavy and cool and you want a lot of them. You want to practice with 60 minute rounds since that's typical and 75 is only a nicety that's granted, but not assured. (This is why the 4BZ was considered a list that won on the back of time limits.) The critical turn for the game occurs much earlier anyway, and you want to practice until you can tell when the critical turn has passed and as such assess if you are ahead or behind. This not only makes your tempo better, but you can jam more games in once you've realized where you've made a mistake and reset the game instead of playing it out all the way. The latter isn't really useful since the only practice you'd get is to keep playing to your advantages, and you should be doing that in the middle of the game anyway. You'll also tend to focus more on desperate die results and have a warped view of what happened in your game, instead of realizing when you've already lost and play another game so you can clean up your mistake.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There's a fine line between knowing when to call a game and giving up before a game can be salvaged for a win. Store Champs aren't really conducive to 'do overs' and if you practice giving up when you get behind then you'll just crash and burn when you're at a disadvantage instead of turning it around. :shrug:

My opinion is colored by one of the guys in this area who gives up the moment he starts experiencing serious trouble. At a tournament a few weeks ago he conceded after literally the first shot of the game because I managed to do four damage to his Kyle Katarn and strip a token. The HWK was still alive, he still had a stresshog and regen Poe, he just gave up. It was honestly pretty frustrating being on the other end of the table, spending longer to set the game up than it took for him to quit.

Don't be that guy.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

So for timed games, when the time limit's up, whoever has more points on the table wins?

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Wouldn't PTL be way better than rage there anyway?

Yes - ish?
Rage gets you an extra focus on defense. It's not enough to keep Keyan alive for any more notable amount of time, which was the experiment.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

So for timed games, when the time limit's up, whoever has more points on the table wins?

Slightly different, whoever killed more points wins. If someone has a bid, these can differ.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Brunas posted:

Slightly different, whoever killed more points wins. If someone has a bid, these can differ.

Also, Large and Huge ships shot down to half or less health give half points.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Brunas posted:

Yes - ish?
Rage gets you an extra focus on defense. It's not enough to keep Keyan alive for any more notable amount of time, which was the experiment.

How? You don't have any ways to get an extra action there, so Rage just gets you the one focus token + mini target lock, which is exactly what PTL for focus + target lock would give you.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

How? You don't have any ways to get an extra action there, so Rage just gets you the one focus token + mini target lock, which is exactly what PTL for focus + target lock would give you.
Keyan will get the mini-lock, a focus token, and 2 stress.
He will use the mini-lock and the stress on the attack (his ability). Thus leaving 1 green die with a focus token to use if needed, and a single stress which will be cleared by Kanan the next turn. Really doesn't sound like it's worth all the trouble.

SoT/AdvSen , or just VI, seems to be the only way to run poor Keyan.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

KO Derf posted:

Keyan will get the mini-lock, a focus token, and 2 stress.
He will use the mini-lock and the stress on the attack (his ability). Thus leaving 1 green die with a focus token to use if needed, and a single stress which will be cleared by Kanan the next turn. Really doesn't sound like it's worth all the trouble.

I understand that. With PTL you'd get a lock, a focus token and 1 stress, be able to use the ability, not need Kanan, and have the option of barrel rolling instead of either the lock or the action if necessary. The only drawback is that you need to make the target lock when you act rather than just getting it on whoever you fire at, but that seems well worth it.

(I'm not saying this is necessarily *good*, just that I don't see the appeal of running rage instead)

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I understand that. With PTL you'd get a lock, a focus token and 1 stress, be able to use the ability, not need Kanan, and have the option of barrel rolling instead of either the lock or the action if necessary. The only drawback is that you need to make the target lock when you act rather than just getting it on whoever you fire at, but that seems well worth it.

(I'm not saying this is necessarily *good*, just that I don't see the appeal of running rage instead)
You are correct. Though I think the moral of the story is

Brunas posted:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

KO Derf posted:

You are correct. Though I think the moral of the story is

Yeah, Brunas is a really great guy to run X-Wing with, because he's always game to try something he's not sure will work? But maybe it has merit in some fashion? And then he'll play a couple games with it and be like "ah this sucks" and start over. He's the guy who will run awful, awful Keyan builds in the name of science. I don't want this to turn into an embarrassing display of internet approval, but he's probably the main reason I was able to get a handle on the game's basics relatively quickly. Like, the entire point of the Rage!Keyan build was "we think Keyan sucks, does Kanan/Rage do something cool for him," and the answer basically wound up being "No."

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

What the verdict on Poe, Red Ace, and fun-cop?

There's an upcoming store chamionship and I'm thinking of bringing this. I chose Ion Cannon over TLT since I was short a point.

Poe Dameron (37)
T-70 X-Wing (31), R5-P9 (3), Veteran Instincts (1), Autothrusters (2)

“Red Ace” (38)
T-70 X-Wing (29), R2-D2 (4), Comm Relay (3), Autothrusters (2)

Gold Squadron Pilot (25)
Y-Wing (18), BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0), R3-A2 (2), Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

On the Kath someone mentioned earlier:

Kath Scarlet (38)
Calculation (1)
Tactician (2)

Total: 41

Building an imp list for stress control is fun, I ran this list today as well:

Kath Scarlet (38)
Calculation (1)
Ion Bombs (2)
Tactician (2)

The Inquisitor (25)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE/v1 (1)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Total: 100

The bombs are there just to make a giant no fly zone around kath.

It was better I expected, honestly. There were multiple opportunities to double stress things with Kath, and she did her job of being the first target and basically shutting down half the board. She also rolled 8 blank evades in a row, and not being able to use your focus defensively hurts(not that it mattered here). Not the most useful test game, but it showed that the worst case isn't as bad as I expected.

We're also hurt by options on what to run with Kath - theoretically she handles limiting opponent actions already, so her and OL are doing the same thing, but kath + OL is the only combination I can think of to fit in anything that isn't poo poo empire side.

Here's where I would go with it next, will probably try it next time I get a few games in:

Kath Scarlet (38)
Calculation (1)
Tactician (2)

Juno Eclipse (28)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Proton Rockets (3)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
Guidance Chips (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Total: 100
I know, an Advanced that isn't Vader, madness. The Inquisitor didn't really fit in or add anything to the list other than just some dice at PS8. I think Juno forces another target that might even be higher priority than Kath, and has discretionary movement/completely ruins someones day with Prockets if she survives to shoot them. We're still doubling down on Kath for action control and Omega Leader for action control, but think Kath might actually be correct to play as more of a stressbot, then we punish them for using actions on movement with Juno's PS10 discretionary movement.

Anyways, person who's name I can't remember, thanks for the stress Kath idea, I like it.

Brunas fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 14, 2016

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Floppychop posted:

What the verdict on Poe, Red Ace, and fun-cop?

There's an upcoming store chamionship and I'm thinking of bringing this. I chose Ion Cannon over TLT since I was short a point.

Poe Dameron (37)
T-70 X-Wing (31), R5-P9 (3), Veteran Instincts (1), Autothrusters (2)

“Red Ace” (38)
T-70 X-Wing (29), R2-D2 (4), Comm Relay (3), Autothrusters (2)

Gold Squadron Pilot (25)
Y-Wing (18), BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0), R3-A2 (2), Ion Cannon Turret (5)

My exact XXY build, down to the T. I had a lot of success with it. It's fun and good. I'm waiting for Adaptability to come out so I can slot it on Poe to go from PS10 to PS9 and get the TLT on the Y-Wing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I was up for a bit so did some painting

It's not much but from now on I'll just write the outlines with a brush instead of a marker. It's a better look and it's easy to clean up anyway. Gloss coat and matte varnish will remove the difference but it's hard to cover marker paint.

I'll prob try to put some of Sabine's doodles on the side or background:

Strobe posted:

There's a fine line between knowing when to call a game and giving up before a game can be salvaged for a win. Store Champs aren't really conducive to 'do overs' and if you practice giving up when you get behind then you'll just crash and burn when you're at a disadvantage instead of turning it around. :shrug:

My opinion is colored by one of the guys in this area who gives up the moment he starts experiencing serious trouble. At a tournament a few weeks ago he conceded after literally the first shot of the game because I managed to do four damage to his Kyle Katarn and strip a token. The HWK was still alive, he still had a stresshog and regen Poe, he just gave up. It was honestly pretty frustrating being on the other end of the table, spending longer to set the game up than it took for him to quit.

Don't be that guy.
It's advice for practice. You can practice the later segments by themselves if you'd like, and create sessions where you start off in a certain position and down by a couple ships and try to win that way. But trying to play whole games over and over takes too much time imo. Practice what you need to and don't waste time doing initial passes or jousting setup if you already know how to do it. Skip to the end if you'd like, and try to win that way. My friends and I practice this way and have never quit in the middle of a match because of some dumb do-over mentality, but that might not be everyone I guess.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 14, 2016

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I'd like to put together a Fun to Fly list for scum.

I've got the core, starviper, slave 1, most wanted, z-95, tie/fo, hwk, reb aces, a-wing

Thinking something along these lines, but still little experience with putting together synergistic lists instead of fumbling in the dark with upgrades

Y-Wing or hwk with ion turret
Star Viper for arc dodging
Slave 1 for heavy fire

Vvv awesome! I'll give this a go

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 14, 2016

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I'd like to put together a Fun to Fly list for scum.

I've got the core, starviper, slave 1, most wanted, z-95, tie/fo, hwk, reb aces, a-wing

Thinking something along these lines, but still little experience with putting together synergistic lists instead of fumbling in the dark with upgrades

Y-Wing or hwk with ion turret
Star Viper for arc dodging
Slave 1 for heavy fire

This is going to sound wrong, but the firespray does very little damage, for it's cost. The Star Viper does very little arc dodging, since it's low pilot skill.

If you want a hard hitting Firespray, this is the only version I've seen have any success:

Kath Scarlet (Scum) (38)
Opportunist (4)
K4 Security Droid (3)

Palob Godalhi (20)
Blaster Turret (4)
Moldy Crow (3)

Syndicate Thug (18)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
R4 Agromech (2)

Total: 98

I imagine you'll have to proxy some cards, but you have all the pilots/bases/models.
That will leave you with 2 points for a crew of EPT of your choice for Palob, or you can downgrade the R4 agromech and take recon spec or something if you'd like. Basically, Palob takes tokens off people, Kath gets extra dice when people don't have tokens, Kath gets even more dice when shooting from the butt. TLTs with Agromechs are monsters, highly recommended.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Brunas posted:

Cool Guy Kath
I have to ask; why no Mangler?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Brunas posted:

Maybe with Advanced Sensors rather than crew? RRRAAAAEG then green then shed stress attacking, repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
I'm buying into the game for realsies and was wondering what you guys think about the long-term prospects of Heaver's Poe/Stresshog/Ezra build? Is it a good idea for me to buy into that list considering what Wave VIII might bring?

• Locked thread