Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The earlier Octopus pie comics are really better, because the more constrained art fit the scale if storytelling.

It's expanded visually but this has ended up underlining the least interesting parts of the comic.

Also, it's really... American? In that almost solipsistic way that David Foster Wallace's writing is American. As a Euro, its nearly suffocating.

I dunno, I don't think octopus pie would be quite as good if it was about a group of middle aged bald people who all live in a flat across the street from a fish cannery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I just read Sin Titulo in one sitting. What a great comic, thanks a lot for the recommendation! I think I mostly understood what the story was trying to convey, with Wesley kind of representing all the awful, traumatic things humans do to each other, working as a contrast to the serenity/purity of the place otherwise. There's a funny combination of Plato's 'ideal world' and Freudian-ish 'dark depths of the psyche' -mindset going on, combined with the idea that perfection requires some kind of balance and getting off-balance is dangerous.

However, there's one detail that I really didn't understand on my read: what was the purpose of the weird mask monster? It appeared both times while the main character was sleeping, but there didn't seem to be any specific reason for why it appeared then and there, nor can I think of any pausible metaphorical reasons for its existence apart from maybe it representing fear, but that wouldn't really make sense. It's even weirder with the bit where Sladislav draws the mask on paper and lets the main character see to his past. I'm aware that the point probably isn't that everything would be 100% understandable but the rest of the comic felt like it made sense so that left me confused.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Hempuli posted:

I'm aware that the point probably isn't that everything would be 100% understandable but the rest of the comic felt like it made sense so that left me confused.

I interpreted that as the protagonist was the "masked monster" all along. When he looked at himself in the past while wearing the mask, that became the reality of it and so that's what he now remembers. That mask didn't exist until Sladislav drew it right in front of him but now that it exists, it's as if it had always existed (it's truly real or whatever). That's why he remembers it before it was made.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 14, 2016

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm basically in constant awe of how good Octopus Pie is.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pavlov posted:

Yeah I read the author comment. Let's hope they go more LoTR than Narnia. I don't normally bet on people knowing how to write good subtlety though, especially about JESUS.

Also, I want to see if I can figure out the author's denomination just from the comic. You can already tell they're some kind of trinitarian.

I don't blame you. Webcomics don't have a great history with using real world religions.

It'd be nice if we could a restrained and thoughtful way to incorporate religion into speculative fiction tho. Scifi tries to get away with it by saying "oh we've evolved past the whole thing :smaug:" while religions in fantasy stories usually don't come in more flavors than "I pray to the sun god and get cure light wounds 5x per day" or not-Spanish Inquisition burning the heretics/witches. It''d be interesting to explore more how having a world where gods are sometimes provably real and get involved in global affairs affects how society functions.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 14, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't blame you. Webcomics don't have a great history with using real world religions.

It'd be nice if we could a restrained and thoughtful way to incorporate religion into speculative fiction tho. Scifi tries to get away with it by saying "oh we've evolved past the whole thing :smaug:" while religions in fantasy stories usually don't come in more flavors than "I pray to the sun god and get cure light wounds 5x per day" or not-Spanish Inquisition burning the heretics/witches. It''d be interesting to explore more how having a world where gods are sometimes provably real and get involved in global affairs affects how society functions.

Unfortunately that would also depend on the people consuming that work to be restrained and thoughtful about religion.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

The Vlad Taltos books do a pretty good job of that.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pavlov posted:

Unfortunately that would also depend on the people consuming that work to be restrained and thoughtful about religion.

fair point... and given her newest page has like 200+ comments I'm not optimistic on that level :unsmigghh:

Tunicate posted:

The Vlad Taltos books do a pretty good job of that.

Googling the author of these books makes me suspicious

but friend tell me he is legit good so I guess I'll have to check those out

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Dude's weird, but not in that way.

Raised by Hungarian labor organizers, and a die-hard trotskyist. He also wants to avoid grinding any of his personal political axes in his novels, so he made a rule that he'll only put his personal beliefs into the mouths of characters who are (A) secondary, and (B) disliked by the protagonist.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 14, 2016

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Nuns with Guns posted:

It'd be nice if we could a restrained and thoughtful way to incorporate religion into speculative fiction tho. Scifi tries to get away with it by saying "oh we've evolved past the whole thing :smaug:" while religions in fantasy stories usually don't come in more flavors than "I pray to the sun god and get cure light wounds 5x per day" or not-Spanish Inquisition burning the heretics/witches. It''d be interesting to explore more how having a world where gods are some times provably real and get involved in global affairs affects how society functions.

I really liked Avatar the Last Airbender's depiction of spirituality in a fantasy setting.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

mycot posted:

I really liked Avatar the Last Airbender's depiction of spirituality in a fantasy setting.

You know, I love avatar but I feel like sometimes its inconsistent with its spirituality

then again that is pretty consistent with the multilayered factions of individual sects, so I suppose I can't really fault it when it allows for people to bend plants and blood and lightning

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Those first two were just more difficult extensions of bending the water in them, like earthbending -> metalbending. Lightning doesn't seem to follow too logically but I guess it's high energy plasma?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Nuns with Guns posted:

fair point... and given her newest page has like 200+ comments I'm not optimistic on that level :unsmigghh:

As unofficial Steven Brust cheerleader, I both completely disagree with every one of his views and loving love everything he's written.

I would go so far as to say that Steven Brust is the best living fiction writer.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dabir posted:

Those first two were just more difficult extensions of bending the water in them, like earthbending -> metalbending. Lightning doesn't seem to follow too logically but I guess it's high energy plasma?

Whatever the logic is, I"m completely fine so long as it leads to a cool climax.

wiegieman posted:

As unofficial Steven Brust cheerleader, I both completely disagree with every one of his views and loving love everything he's written.

I would go so far as to say that Steven Brust is the best living fiction writer.

That is a heavy task to carry, but I'm totally willing to look into it if it's pulled off well enough

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Plethora posted:

It's great living in Prague because no one talks about how great the city is.

Prague is the only place I associate with genuine happiness, wish I still lived there but congrats that you do.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Whatever the logic is, I"m completely fine so long as it leads to a cool climax.

That is a heavy task to carry, but I'm totally willing to look into it if it's pulled off well enough

Just don't start with the prequel side-trilogy that he wrote as a self-indulgent Three Musketeers Tribute, with a great stylistic match for the longwinded archaic tone of Dumas.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Pick posted:

Prague is the only place I associate with genuine happiness, wish I still lived there but congrats that you do.

Thanks, and same. It's full of people who have seen the worst society has to offer (Nazi concentration camps, Soviet occupation, etc) and they survived it by sheer determination and moxy. They've earned happiness. I'm immigrating here from the USA since, well, the USA isn't the most welcoming of places if you're not rich.

Anyway, Floraverse!

http://floraverse.com/comic/try-try-again/421-here-goes-nothing-p11/

To be honest, I don't really care for the story or the weird kinda-furry-but-not-quite characters, but look at that page layout! I always feel like I can learn something from it.

Edit: Almost forgot the link

Mr.Chill fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 14, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tunicate posted:

Just don't start with the prequel side-trilogy that he wrote as a self-indulgent Three Musketeers Tribute, with a great stylistic match for the longwinded archaic tone of Dumas.

If you want a first Brust book, start with Jhereg or Yendi.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I remember liking those books as a teenager, they're probably fun if you're not looking for anything literary.

Now I'm wondering where I put them.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 14, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

There's also some mystery going on know about what exactly the mage girl is under her mask, which is intriguing (be careful not to flip to the main webpage because latest update is super spoilery!)

That being the one where the author goes "HA! You thought you were reading a fantasy comic, but actually it's a JESUS comic about how all these fantasy people persecute Christians! Here, have a Bible quote!, right? I wish you'd just said that from the start. It would have saved me a lot of time reading it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What do you have against Christian themes? That seems rather bigoted.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Jedit posted:

That being the one where the author goes "HA! You thought you were reading a fantasy comic, but actually it's a JESUS comic about how all these fantasy people persecute Christians! Here, have a Bible quote!, right? I wish you'd just said that from the start. It would have saved me a lot of time reading it.

What the hell man
What's with this reaction
How does this stop being a fantasy comic
What gave you the idea that they are persecuted, I was reading it as the mage being some sort of monster

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Are you thinking of a different comic or something? There's been 1 page so far after the reveal that the secret behind her mask is some sort of divine entity which feels way too short for how strongly you're reacting.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Jedit posted:

It's not like we don't have a wildly successful fantasy series that helped set the bar for the genre's standards that expertly merged Christian mythos with Pagan imagery or anything, beloved by generations of kids and adults regardless of religious beliefs. I mean, there's no way those two could be merged into something everyone can enjoy, right?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Plethora posted:

It's not like we don't have a wildly successful fantasy series that helped set the bar for the genre's standards that expertly merged Christian mythos with Pagan imagery or anything, beloved by generations of kids and adults regardless of religious beliefs. I mean, there's no way those two could be merged into something everyone can enjoy, right?

Well yeah, but although that one was beating you over the head with obvious imagery by the end it never went as far as directly quoting the bible.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

Well yeah, but although that one was beating you over the head with obvious imagery by the end it never went as far as directly quoting the bible.

Complete with providing the reference in the mouseover text. The screed that follows is very clear that the author wants her story to be a new Narnia, and while she says you can ignore the religious allegory if you want it's a little hard to do that when your book is written like a loving Chick tract. And while I admit I'm somewhat PO'd about being suddenly suplexed by Jesus, I don't think I'm being unfair in that description. Right before this scene it had an honest-to-God "mean guy realises how wrong he was to hate Christians" moment.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 14, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I would read a comic about Jesus suplexing people.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

Despite the earlier negative comparisons, Unsounded seems to be doing a reasonably decent job of it so far, though the only god who's been shown to be provably real in there is ironically the one hardly anybody believes in.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"If it was Muslims or Jews it would be okay, but Christians? How dare they?" :rolleyes:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i would argue that even narnia was obnoxious with its portrayal of religion; you have the good righteous christians and then the evil human-sacrificing (brown) non-christian people down to the south and east whoops

i'm not sure what it is but the story concept of christianity as good just generally doesn't seem to inspire writing interesting to anybody who isn't already pretty invested in christianity

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tollymain posted:

i would argue that even narnia was obnoxious with its portrayal of religion; you have the good righteous christians and then the evil human-sacrificing (brown) non-christian people down to the south and east whoops

i'm not sure what it is but the story concept of christianity as good just generally doesn't seem to inspire writing interesting to anybody who isn't already pretty invested in christianity

The only strongly Christian webcomic I can recall off the top of my head is that Nazi centaur thing, and only because the obvious contrast of subject matter there makes me feel a skosh unsettled.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Tollymain posted:

Lord of the Rings?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Oxxidation posted:

The only strongly Christian webcomic I can recall off the top of my head is that Nazi centaur thing, and only because the obvious contrast of subject matter there makes me feel a skosh unsettled.

Nazi or Nazy?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ConanThe3rd posted:

:agreed:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Everyone has different tollerance for what can be considered "shoved in your face/down your throat" but to compare this to a Chick Tract seems unfair. Yes, this is a rather direct reference to Christianity as good, but unless you object directly to the thesis "Christianity is good" I don't see how you can accuse the author of anything worse than wearing their influences on their sleeve.

Tollymain posted:

Are you sure you don't mean LotR? I don't remember those, altough it's been a while since I read Narnia. That one had the lion sacrificing himself for the safety of his people to resurrect later

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 14, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tollymain posted:

People would probably be a lot less reflexively dismissive of "Christian fantasy" if the track record of the genre held any real promise of more knotty Lewis-style theology and not just another morality play of fantasy anti-Christian persecution and intolerance, which while a core theme to Christian mythology is also IRL basically the sound of a Goldman Sachs exec shrieking about class warfare.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 14, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

People would probably be a lot less reflexively dismissive of "Christian fantasy" if the track record of the genre held any real promise of more knotty Lewis-style theology and not just another preachy fantasy of anti-Christian persecution and intolerance, which while a core theme to Christian mythology is also IRL basically the sound of a Goldman Sachs exec shrieking about class warfare.

Well it appears that the author agrees with you and is trying to fix the problem according to their little explanation in the latest page. Personally I find that commendable.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Tollymain posted:

I honestly don't remember that in Narnia. I DO remember the hilariously self-critical sections, particularly the entire last book where a donkey and baboon dress up like Aslan and trick his followers into doing what they want, which is an obvious metaphor for lovely Christians pretending to know God's demands and abusing the hell out of the public. Not to mention the number of times Aslan fails his people and everything falls to garbage, showing that not even deities are perfect.

It was critical of ALL religions and theological philosophy, actually.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

I want to say I've seen that a few times and the novelty wears off pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

http://jesuschriststory.com/
Jesus Christ: In the Name of the Gun

• Locked thread