Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
The $$$ to gains of the Cobb AP are terrific. So far it's the only 'mod' I've done to my FiST, and I think it's enough. It really does make quite a bit of difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Dr.Caligari posted:

The $$$ to gains of the Cobb AP are terrific. So far it's the only 'mod' I've done to my FiST, and I think it's enough. It really does make quite a bit of difference

Oh yes I know, it's the same deal as it was for my old WRX (and almost any modern turbocharged performance car really). That's definitely my plan of attack following the loud boy racer catback since I tend to obsess about sound too much (and as said aside from the symposer it's lacking in this car), what everyone refers to as Stage 2 (induction kit + AP) as not only is it cheap for the gains you get out of it but it's still super easy to to hide away if needed. I know the Cobb AP tune adds a ton of torque but does it make the top end more lively? That would be very nice beyond the increased numbers - so far I rarely find any reason to wind gears out all the way to redline and have only hit the limiter once (which was accidental) so far.

Is there a consensus on how the FiST powertrain holds up to increased HP/torque? I'd much rather have a little less power and instead be able to regularly drive it hard with confidence in it holding together for 150,000mi.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

A simple ECU tune with the AP is a noticeable improvement?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

fyodor posted:

It should be, it certainly was for my WRX. Cobb probably has the exact numbers on their site.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
One thing to remember is that ECU flashes ARE detectable by Ford, and while they cant "void your warranty" legally, they sure as gently caress can point at the ECU reflash that is making 5 more psi of boost as the reason your turbo failed or whatever and deny your claim.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My Credit Union's extended warranty can't tell if it's flashed though. :D

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

fyodor posted:

That's almost an understatement. I have heard (and believe) that all the other basic mods (intake, exhaust, IC and dp) combined don't approach the gains from just a tune. Not to mention the price of AP vs. the other mods. Not to down play the other mods, they of course are of more benefit than just hp/torque gains.

I'm also get better MPG when driving not-like a maniac. I'm not sure how much the AP helps the top end, but I do know it pushes the redline back. At high rpm's you can feel the little turbo run out of steam, and I think the only fix for that is a bigger turbo.

e; Here's a graph showing stage 1 gains vs stock.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 14, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

fyodor posted:

Lol good point.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fyodor posted:

Good luck with that - if you go to present a claim under your extended warranty while still being under your factory warranty, they're going to first tell you the manufacturers warranty is primary.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bovril Delight posted:

Good luck with that - if you go to present a claim under your extended warranty while still being under your factory warranty, they're going to first tell you the manufacturers warranty is primary.

This is a good point. :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
This is why piggybacks are the best for in warranty.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

One thing to remember is that ECU flashes ARE detectable by Ford, and while they cant "void your warranty" legally, they sure as gently caress can point at the ECU reflash that is making 5 more psi of boost as the reason your turbo failed or whatever and deny your claim.

Can you not get a second ecu and flash the tune on it and swap it out if you have an issue?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Christobevii3 posted:

Can you not get a second ecu and flash the tune on it and swap it out if you have an issue?

My understanding is that cars do not work that way anymore. You can't just swap ECUs without the manufacturer getting involved.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Dr.Caligari posted:

Doesn't Ford Racing sell a tune dealie for the FiST like they do for the FoST that maintains the factory warranty?

http://www.mountuneusa.com/Ford-Racing-Performance-Calibration-Focus-ST-p/m-14204-fst.htm

$565 (sale!) gets you a 90 ft/lb torque increase while keeping full factory warranty. Comes with the required new sparkplugs.

Edit: The catch is that to maintain the warranty, it must be installed by a Ford Authorized dealer, so that probably adds a few hundred bucks.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

fyodor posted:

My understanding is that cars do not work that way anymore. You can't just swap ECUs without the manufacturer getting involved.

What? You can bench flash spare veloster computers if you have a working existing one to a spare.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Christobevii3 posted:

What? You can bench flash spare veloster computers if you have a working existing one to a spare.

The mileage of the car is stored in the ECU, for one. It's also tied to your VIN. If you can figure out how to manipulate both of those things then you may have a chance.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I installed mine at around 14k miles. I'm past my warranty period now, so no worries.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

fyodor posted:

The mileage of the car is stored in the ECU, for one. It's also tied to your VIN. If you can figure out how to manipulate both of those things then you may have a chance.

On which cars? Most store it on the gauge cluster. If you bench flash you take your current vin and bench flash it into the new computer and manipulate the afr and boost there.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

The Locator posted:

$565 (sale!) gets you a 90 ft/lb torque increase while keeping full factory warranty. Comes with the required new sparkplugs.

Edit: The catch is that to maintain the warranty, it must be installed by a Ford Authorized dealer, so that probably adds a few hundred bucks.

Why in the world is that not the stock tune? Horsepower gains aside, the torque curve looks way more useful for day to day manual transmission owners.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

8ender posted:

Why in the world is that not the stock tune? Horsepower gains aside, the torque curve looks way more useful for day to day manual transmission owners.

MPG test number manipulation probably.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

The Locator posted:

Doesn't Ford Racing sell a tune dealie for the FiST like they do for the FoST that maintains the factory warranty?

http://www.mountuneusa.com/Ford-Racing-Performance-Calibration-Focus-ST-p/m-14204-fst.htm

Last I checked the warranty goes to 36k/3 years if you do the Ford OEM procal tune. Somehow I don't see it listed on frpp's site anymore either, but I'm on a phone, so it may still be available.

When I was growing up I always heard that you don't want to use low RPMs with full throttle in gasoline engines, is this still the case?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MarsellusWallace posted:

Last I checked the warranty goes to 36k/3 years if you do the Ford OEM procal tune. Somehow I don't see it listed on frpp's site anymore either, but I'm on a phone, so it may still be available.

When I was growing up I always heard that you don't want to use low RPMs with full throttle in gasoline engines, is this still the case?

3y/36k is the normal warranty without doing anything to the car. For more warranty than that you have to buy an extended warranty.

Here is the link to the same thing on Ford's site - http://fordperformanceracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=25962

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

8ender posted:

The stock tune works with regular, the Cobb tune needs 93 octane.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
What do you do if they don't sell 93 octane in your state/area?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Race gas. :getin:

I use a 91 octane tune because we only get 92 here.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

oxbrain posted:

The stock tune works with regular, the Cobb tune needs 93 octane.

It does not need 87. Cobb has an 87 octane version of their tune, and it still makes more power than the stock programming.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

bobfather posted:

It does not need 87. Cobb has an 87 octane version of their tune, and it still makes more power than the stock programming.

FWIW:

Is he saying the 91 gas he gets isn't good or the 91 map?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

8ender posted:

To not cannibalize the lineup and for reducing stress on the motor.

Man, that torque curve sucks though.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I know the saabaru isn't the hottest of hatches, but is a manual version any fun to drive? I'm looking for something different with a bit more room than the FiST and this car is intriguing to me.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

No more fun than a WRX. I had the rare 2.5L version and sold it after less than a year. :v:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Locator posted:

It's not sold under the Ford Racing name, but Mountune has a warranty-safe option for the FiST called MP215.

$1229 - http://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-Fiesta-ST-MP215-Performance-Upgrade-p/2364-215-aa.htm

It seems to be roughly comparable to Cobb stage 1, and ships on an AccessPort (though the ability to change anything interesting is locked out on these units) but you're paying basically double the price plus whatever stupid amount the dealer will change to install an intake and a flash for a reduced warranty.

Back before I realized the warranty was shortened with this I was considering it, but I'm already at 12k miles so the value of a warranty that runs to 36k miles is rapidly diminishing.

They also have one for the FoST, MP275.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

GutBomb posted:

I know the saabaru isn't the hottest of hatches, but is a manual version any fun to drive? I'm looking for something different with a bit more room than the FiST and this car is intriguing to me.

I loved mine and miss it. The STi steering rack is so much better than the WRX rack. Also heated seats are wonderful.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

GutBomb posted:

I have one of the 2006s with the 2.5t, can't speak for the other cars. It's basically a classier WRX. I haven't driven the FiST but am guessing it's slow car fast kind of fun. The Saabaru isn't really fun for me in the city, but it is practical and cheap.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

They're pretty understeery which I didn't like, even with a bigger rear sway on it. It didn't feel great on Michigan roads either even with new struts. I did put on lowering springs which admittedly made it worse but it still wasn't a comfortable ride. I was too bothered by the 5 speeds ability to hold torque to mod it past just a downpipe and a tune. Neither seemed to really make that big of a difference to me with an open source flash.

Now I have a V70 which is even less fun :smith:, but has more space, is more comfortable and gets about the same mileage. I'm old.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Mine handles a lot more neutral with a bigger rear bar and Koni dampers/RCE springs/Whiteline tops per Jamal's suggestion. I might ease up the Konis a bit because I have a lot of speed bumps where I live, but they're otherwise fine. I haven't done any power mods or tuning because it's quick enough for me. Only other thing I did is a brake master cylinder brace to improve pedal feel - Christ, that was such a pain in the rear end to install.

I have 95k miles on mine and will probably drive it into the ground. I kind of wish I had sold it 5k ago before doing the timing belt, springs and struts (I really want a 997), but it is fun enough and practical enough and cheap enough that it's hard to walk away from.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
That's all good info. I love the fiesta for the slow car fast stuff, but the thing about the fiesta is that it doesn't feel slow. It might take 7 seconds to get to 60 but it feels like 3 and sounds awesome getting there.

I'm just looking for something with more room because it turns out the FiST is just too small to carry a car seat, stroller, and wife. It fits those things and exactly nothing else. Also something I can buy cash would be nice to eliminate one of my car payments.

I have a Miata for nice days when I don't need to haul the family around but I want my rain/winter/family car to be fun to drive too. It's funny that the saabaru is so cheap when compared to the same year's WRX. I'm only looking at manual 2.5Ts and there are only 2 in the new England area. I'm gonna test drive one tomorrow to see if I like it, but I can only find them with around 100k miles. Are these cars known for lasting much longer than that? I'm hoping to have it for a while.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 16, 2016

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Re: lifespan, I'd assume you could make it to 150-200k unless the paint all chips and away or the interior falls apart first (neither are the best). I'm kind of interested in that question myself. I can only provide anecdotes, but the only EJ255's I've seen/heard of failing have been modded for power. I've met a couple of people who have lost their tranny for similar reasons. I've heard some things about the stock tune being lovely and how a custom tune can actually improve reliability - maybe jamal or one of the other experts can chime in.

I've had my car for 40k and the only issues I've had to fix are a torn CV boot and leaking oil cooler. Both are easy jobs (but I'm a lovely mechanic). I may have a wheel bearing issue going on above 100 mph but don't often drive that fast so haven't looked into it.

The interior is bigger than the FiST but if you have a rear facing car seat you may have to scoot the seats up a little or a lot. I will find this out in September and am a little worried, I'm 6'1 and my wife is 5'9.

The 2.5T 5MTs (2006 Aero) are rare birds, only 235 were made. You may want to check out saab92x.org for more listings and info.

I have a Miata too (NA) and the pair of cars makes a good combo - combined purchase price for both was $15,100; the Saabaru had 57k miles on it and the Miata had 62k. I figure that's a combined lifespan of at least 200k miles for the price of a new econo shitbox, and they do basically everything better. I generally prefer the Miata unless I'm hauling people or things, but that's just my style.

Anyways, you can't really go wrong with the Saabaru, and if it's a 2006 Aero, you can easily sell it on the 92x.org forums when you're ready to part with it.

PM me if you have any other questions about ownership or shopping; I'm happy to help.

blk fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 16, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Balls, I was wrong, there aren't 2 manual 2.5Ts for sale in new England. There are 0. in the whole country (at least on cars.com). The ones I was looking at were all 2.0Ts which I'm not interested in. Back to the drawing board. Top of the list for replacement cars is the Golf R (like a 2012 or something) or the dream "my wife will be so pissed and never actually let me do it and she'd be right" option, the FoRS.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

My Focus RS finally got built! Is it too soon to start planning track days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

KidDynamite posted:

My Focus RS finally got built! Is it too soon to start planning track days?

Congrats! Hope you get it soon.

I'm starting to look into building an ST for myself. It'll be my first new car and first manual, upgrading from an '06 Jetta TDI. I apologize in advance to every driver stuck behind me as I stall 84 times at every stoplight.