Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Siljmonster posted:

im curious, what apps? ive never seen an app with Microsofts brand for Android

Office
Xbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
bing!

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hahaha skype is on android

which just reminded me that skype was pretty awesome before Microsoft took them over

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

they have their own replacement launcher

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Siljmonster posted:

which just reminded me that skype was pretty awesome before Microsoft took them over
it wasn't, but it did get worse

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Siljmonster posted:

Skype has to be on annroid otherwise there's no Facetime equivalent except Facebook Messenger (lol)

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

quote:

In Steve Ballmer's 15-year tenure as Microsoft CEO, he got a lot of things right: several highly successful product launches, significant increase in shareholder value, and a few acquisitions that proved quite valuable to the company.

However, he will likely be remembered as the man who drove the most catastrophic merger in the company's history.

Microsoft has always struggled in the mobile space. The company was early to the game with Windows CE and Windows Mobile (far earlier than Apple and Google); but it was late to adopt the mobile developer ecosystem and "app store" strategies of its competitors.

In November 2010, following the surprising success of the iPhone, the company introduced Windows Phone, which abandoned much of the legacy 32-bit Windows code in previous mobile releases. Windows Phone featured a brand-new user experience that has evolved into the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) that powers Windows 10 and runs on all Windows devices.

However, Microsoft needed OEM hardware partners, who were reluctant to take on the risk of an unproven software platform when they were already enjoying success with Android.

One partner that had taken that risk was Nokia, which -- under the leadership of former Microsoft exec Steven Elop -- was itself being forced to transform. Competitors such as Samsung and Apple were eating Nokia's lunch in the company's stronghold EMEA smartphone markets.

Nokia made some impressive Windows Phones during its partnership with Microsoft, but it was not able to bring itself back to profitability. By 2013, in fact, the company was considering a move to Android and had even built prototype devices running Google's software. If that move had succeeded, Windows Phone would have been left with no OEM support. It would have effectively been a death sentence.

Ballmer, looking to solidify his legacy, saw a potential synergy. Nokia, with its native manufacturing capability and R&D, could be Microsoft's solution to ramping up their mobile presence, in addition to providing an essential distribution channel via previously existing carrier relationships.

In September of 2013 Microsoft bought Nokia's mobile business for over $7 billion. This included the acquisition of most of the company's assets in Finland as well as manufacturing capacity in Asia, along with 24,000 employees. Crucially, it didn't include the potentially valuable Here maps business, which the Microsoft board reportedly refused to go along with.

Many analysts questioned why Microsoft had not simply contract manufactured the phones, negotiated the carrier relationships on its own, and hired engineering talent for much less money. The analysts turned out to be correct. Microsoft struggled to consolidate its development platform over two consecutive OS releases on the desktop and its mobile OS, and was unable to attract the developer and carrier partnerships needed to make the new Lumia phones successful.

Since Ballmer's departure from Microsoft in 2014, under the leadership of its new CEO Satya Nadella, the company has laid off over 15,000 employees, the majority of whom came in from the Nokia acquisition.

In all, more than 20,000 jobs at Microsoft will have been cut once the restructuring is complete.

In 2015, the company was forced to write down the acquisition of Nokia's mobile and services businesses for $7.6 billion.

While Microsoft has recently announced several new Windows 10 Mobile phones, and has committed to the continued development of the platform, it has yet to solidify its carrier relationships or attract the developer attention it needs to compete favorably with devices running Apple's iOS or Google's Android.

Although the pieces are now finally in place for the "One Windows" that could finally make Microsoft smartphones and the modern Windows development platform successful, the company could have saved itself a huge amount of money and heartache if it did the work in-house, rather than by a failed and costly acquisition.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Millstone posted:

Skype has to be on annroid otherwise there's no Facetime equivalent except Facebook Messenger (lol)

nah they haven't killed off hangouts yet

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blue Train posted:

nah they haven't killed off hangouts yet

getting close! Hangouts told me about the default SMS app for Android

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
microsoft has this weird belief that if they make a popular/well liked things exclusive to their lovely os, it will make the os succesful and not in fact drag the popular thing down
see: halo 2, nokia, quantum break

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Don't think Quantum Break is popular or "well-liked". Looks like 3rd person shooter designed for simple console gamer minds plus gimmick x

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
press x to time

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i had to look it up because i actually had no idea what quantum break was, and it looked like it had interesting platforming bits with timed jumps, but then they used their powers to freeze the objects that were moving back and forth so nevermind

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Phoenixan posted:

i had to look it up because i actually had no idea what quantum break was, and it looked like it had interesting platforming bits with timed jumps, but then they used their powers to freeze the objects that were moving back and forth so nevermind

It's blinx the time sweeper for the modern age

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Fame Douglas posted:

Don't think Quantum Break is popular or "well-liked". Looks like 3rd person shooter designed for simple console gamer minds plus gimmick x

fair enough, but making it exclusive to the version of windows with 10% market share and software distribution platform that is not steam is not going to make it more popular.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

32.77% of Steam users (i.e. people who play computer games) are running Windows 10

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

pseudorandom name posted:

32.77% of Steam users (i.e. people who play computer games) are running Windows 10

0% of computer users are using the microsoft app store

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
lol englund

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

http://www.twitch.tv/lsv/v/44790202 57:25 YOSPOS

edit: next stream YMTGOCS

Laopooh fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 15, 2016

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

that's not so good considering how hard they were ramming it down people's throats

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Fame Douglas posted:

note that this is what FD really believes

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

tried to sysprep a win10 vm and it failed because the loving automatically added apps that come with a MS account don't support it so you have to go through a bunch of powershell poo poo to deprovision the apps that aren't even installed and then it works

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
windows 10 FTW

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

tried to sysprep a win10 vm and it failed because the loving automatically added apps that come with a MS account don't support it so you have to go through a bunch of powershell poo poo to deprovision the apps that aren't even installed and then it works

how do you do this?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Smythe posted:

windows 10 FTW

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
top taskbar is for loving idiots

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

Wild EEPROM posted:

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Wild EEPROM posted:

top taskbar is for true windows and linux users

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Wild EEPROM posted:

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

taskbar is for loving idiots

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i'm the faded "full screen snip"

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Phoenixan posted:

i'm .. faded

same

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
gentlemen... gentle,men.. ill be the Emulators folder. that was p;robs put there for this screeny

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Wild EEPROM posted:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

I also like zhu

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

what does "RTV" mean?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy